Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2755151 times)

Gixy and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7500 on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:09 pm »
I got a mail saying my 121GW was on it's way....  :)

Canny wait!!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #7501 on: November 18, 2018, 12:22:09 pm »
I went for a walk at around midday today and ended up at the local weekend trash and treasure market so I went in for a bit of a look around. I stumbled across one seller who had a few used multimeters all layed out for display on a table and I was astonished to find that the LCD display on every meter had turned purple.   :o ::)

One of the multimeters he had was a Fluke 116 in pretty good condition except for the damaged screen so I asked him what he wanted for it, he said eighty bucks and went on to say they are worth a few hundred, I laughed out loud and said "not like that they're not, you need to keep anything with an LCD out of the sun".   :P 8)

With that he promptly moved everything with a screen into the shade but it was all too little too late, he then said the meter still works, I laughed again and told him that the meter was now stuffed and needed a new LCD which would probably exceed the meters value, some people really have no idea how to care for stuff.   :-BROKE :( 

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7502 on: November 18, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »
I went for a walk at around midday today and ended up at the local weekend trash and treasure market so I went in for a bit of a look around. I stumbled across one seller who had a few used multimeters all layed out for display on a table and I was astonished to find that the LCD display on every meter had turned purple.   :o ::)

One of the multimeters he had was a Fluke 116 in pretty good condition except for the damaged screen so I asked him what he wanted for it, he said eighty bucks and went on to say they are worth a few hundred, I laughed out loud and said "not like that they're not, you need to keep anything with an LCD out of the sun".   :P 8)

With that he promptly moved everything with a screen into the shade but it was all too little too late, he then said the meter still works, I laughed again and told him that the meter was now stuffed and needed a new LCD which would probably exceed the meters value, some people really have no idea how to care for stuff.   :-BROKE :(

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... it is funny but it's a pity a few meters were harmed in the making  ???

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7503 on: November 19, 2018, 07:27:38 am »
Brought stuff in actual physical shops today  :o

Sutton Drill top up pack to replace the busted and abused smaller ones in my larger set. 2 x 100 packs of 3mm cable ties for $2.25 for both.

Based on a quick Big Clive sprudgering tear down 2 4000mAH power banks for $20/pair from the Rejectshop (aussie chain) cells are labelled 2000 but seems to be ZERO battery protection or charging unless it is on the cell unpopulated pads on the board for another IC Mmmmm anyone want to toast some Marshmallows when the smoke comes out  :--
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:32:10 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7504 on: November 19, 2018, 08:00:44 am »
Ordered 30x 9 pole Male Sub-d headers from China. Today 30x 9 pole FEMALE sub-d headers turned up.  :palm:

First time I've been disappointed that 30 Females turned up at my door.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7505 on: November 19, 2018, 09:24:12 am »
Ordered 30x 9 pole Male Sub-d headers from China. Today 30x 9 pole FEMALE sub-d headers turned up.  :palm:

McBryce.

They identify as male and you've assumed their gender, I can't even...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7506 on: November 19, 2018, 09:30:04 am »

McBryce.

They identify as male and you've assumed their gender, I can't even...

Tell that to the mating connectors that seem to identify to the gender they were assigned!

McBryce.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7507 on: November 19, 2018, 09:58:45 am »
Got some HP5082-7340 LED modules, they look very nice:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: tooki, bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7508 on: November 19, 2018, 12:08:19 pm »
Got some HP5082-7340 LED modules, they look very nice:

Those are some attractive modules for sure.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7509 on: November 19, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »

Do LCD displays get damaged that quickly, though?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7510 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
I wouldn't have thought so either but it was a pretty hot and humid day here on Sunday at around 28 celsius with no cloud cover at all and no telling how long they had been exposed to direct sunlight, based on his asking prices I suspect he has probably had them for quite some time.     

I got the impression from the seller that the problem had only just occurred as he appeared to be unaware of the damaged screens until I brought it to his attention, another seller also had a few meters but he had them situated under a large umbrella so they were mostly in the shade. 

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7511 on: November 19, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »
I wouldn't have thought so either but it was a pretty hot and humid day here on Sunday at around 28 celsius with no cloud cover at all and no telling how long they had been exposed to direct sunlight, based on his asking prices I suspect he has probably had them for quite some time.     

I got the impression from the seller that the problem had only just occurred as he appeared to be unaware of the damaged screens until I brought it to his attention, another seller also had a few meters but he had them situated under a large umbrella so they were mostly in the shade.
While I admittedly don't know much about the phenomenon, I'd guess that it takes more than a sunny afternoon to damage a meter screen of reasonable quality. Otherwise we'd probably see many more damaged meters around, as people work outside with them too. Maybe he bought an already damaged batch?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7512 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
He had a variety of different meters most of which were used so it wasn't a batch thing and he probably just bought them all in a bundled lot from an auction house. I have seen other meters with this problem before and as part of my work we regularly use meters outdoors in direct sunlight but never for any extended period. We might have to sacrifice a meter for science or ask Joe if he has a spare blown one hanging around which he could put to the test.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7513 on: November 19, 2018, 07:37:12 pm »
He had a variety of different meters most of which were used so it wasn't a batch thing and he probably just bought them all in a bundled lot from an auction house. I have seen other meters with this problem before and as part of my work we regularly use meters outdoors in direct sunlight but never for any extended period. We might have to sacrifice a meter for science or ask Joe if he has a spare blown one hanging around which he could put to the test.

In every case that I have experienced the LCD recovers when it cools back to some reasonable temperature.  Wouldn't want to bet a high dollar meter on it, but have watched it happen a lot of times when I lived in Arizona.

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7514 on: November 19, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »
Since folks are talking about meters... Yesterday I received a cheapie one (Surpeer AV4)

First impressions at:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/surpeer-av4-true-rms-4-5-digit-multimeter/msg1976153/#msg1976153
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7515 on: November 19, 2018, 09:53:23 pm »
I've seen LCDs go all black from heat before, but they always recoved...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7516 on: November 21, 2018, 02:45:36 pm »
I got this little beauty delivered this morning! Looks minted! I only had a quick swatch at it but i'll open it up later and get a proper look at it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:51:45 pm by Terry01 »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7517 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:53 am »
2.5 kWh 16s LG chemical  LiPo battery pack. To be used in electric garden tractor conversion.   $340 + 40 shipping.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #7518 on: November 22, 2018, 04:30:46 am »
Yet another dead HP 3458A :(
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #7519 on: November 22, 2018, 04:59:53 am »
I just ordered a pair of much needed parts storage units from Amazon - damn I love free Prime shipping from the USA!

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B078ST18GW/ref=pe_2361882_282382012_TE_item

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7520 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:07 am »
Needed so retail therapy after having a rubbish week and I guess I am still on Santa's permanent naughty list based on several decades of no pressies so Christmas is arriving early for me.

1000x600x200mm 2.2kW CNC router anyone want to make a really really big PCB or front panel?

Now what do I need to make first ......  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #7521 on: November 22, 2018, 08:02:57 am »
Yet another dead HP 3458A :(
You're kind of mad, aren't you?
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #7522 on: November 22, 2018, 08:22:56 am »

Nice!

First thing to do: Build yourself a vacuum table.
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7523 on: November 22, 2018, 08:48:40 am »

Lots of space for it? Money to pay it off? :)

McBryce.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7524 on: November 22, 2018, 09:02:38 am »
Vac table is on the list  :-+

Mmm Space the unending battle  :palm: I think this one and my baby router are moving out of my main shed/workshop and into a tiny (3x3m) studio type of building further down the garden. It is fully lined and waterproof and only houses some 'stuff' at present so a dedicated space for chips, shavings and dust makes sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf