Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754441 times)

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7550 on: November 30, 2018, 12:01:17 pm »
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, DC1MC

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #7551 on: November 30, 2018, 12:47:07 pm »
Yesterday I received a 2KVA (8A) Variac.

https://www.amazon.es/Transformador-salida-variable-2000Watt-0-250V/dp/B01BAU5N2I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543565463&sr=8-2

It is already heavily modified as of today!  ::)

Nice!  :-+

Works very well, the transformer wire is the correct section for 8A (220V) and arrived with no faults unlike some other samples I've read somewhere.

I've added an output 8A slo-blo fuse, a "Phase OK" warning light and both input and output SCHUKOs for ease of use but keeping the IN/OUT original terminals for versatility.

I also made a couple of security internal modifications: isolated the central tap in the coil as for me it was too exposed into the frame. Also protected with heat-shrinkable sleeve the big central lever axis because the wiper cable is wrapped around it and, providing it is heavily knurled, I was afraid it will eventually bite the wire isolation and short-circuit to ground.

The digital voltmeter panel accuracy is adjustable by a trimmer but it was already quite precise.

So far so good.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7552 on: November 30, 2018, 03:16:23 pm »
6115A, $37USD from evilBay, mid 80s vintage. It had many of the reported issues, buzzing film cap across the transformer, bad contacts setting the voltage, very dirty PCB, oil oozing out of the clear plastic cable tubes, broken binding parts, and a bad electrolytic capacitor. Even still, it mostly worked when delivered.

I wouldn't call my work a restoration, but more of a refurbishment. The film cap now is a X2-rated R463N410050N2M, one ceramic became a RDER72J473K3K1H03B, three relatively tiny 100ZLH470MEFC16X31 replaced three top-side caps (of which one failed, EEU-EB2C221 was the fourth cap you see (higher voltage than the manual specified, but lower than the part it replaced), and a 250BXC4.7MEFC8X11.5 across the output terminals.

I used binding posts that were lying around the house (ugly mismatched ground lug), and sprayed G5 deoxit onto the four voltage decade switches.

Should I add an EMI line filler? Maybe? Otherwise only outstanding issues are that the milivolt pot doesn't work so well, a missing screw on the back panel, and a lack of feet (3D printing, maybe?).

The following users thanked this post: Wan Huang Luo

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7553 on: November 30, 2018, 06:32:43 pm »
Today I ordered a new 1TB SSD and a GW Instek MFG-2260M function generator. A new (better) function generator has been on my wish list for a long time. The SSD is to re-install my PC which is a job I'm not looking forward to at all but nowadays 32bit versions of software seem to become rare so it is time to switch.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Wan Huang Luo

• Regular Contributor
  • 顽谎骆 from the Shenzhen Market
« Reply #7554 on: November 30, 2018, 07:29:09 pm »
6115A, $37USD from evilBay, mid 80s vintage. It had many of the reported issues, buzzing film cap across the transformer, bad contacts setting the voltage, very dirty PCB, oil oozing out of the clear plastic cable tubes, broken binding parts, and a bad electrolytic capacitor. Even still, it mostly worked when delivered.
Looks like a fantastic project worthy of its own thread!

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #7555 on: December 01, 2018, 06:03:13 am »
My WorkBench got a much needed Component Storage upgrade today!  :-+

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7556 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:13 am »
My WorkBench got a much needed Component Storage upgrade today!  :-+

Nice 1 buddy!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: djos

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
« Reply #7557 on: December 02, 2018, 01:25:50 am »
jus got my new clamp meter
Uni-t UT210E which is more than enough for my work

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7558 on: December 02, 2018, 01:28:33 am »
Enjoy it, they are great little meters. I don't use it for anything else other than the clamp meter part as I have better meters for that but the DC clamp meter for current is dead handy,  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7559 on: December 02, 2018, 01:34:24 am »
And accurate for DC current too  :-+ That and the 121GW are in my onsite bag but if I had to slim it down further for plane travel then the UNI-T would do nicely as an all rounder.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7560 on: December 02, 2018, 01:41:02 am »
And accurate for DC current too  :-+ That and the 121GW are in my onsite bag but if I had to slim it down further for plane travel then the UNI-T would do nicely as an all rounder.
Yep, very true.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7561 on: December 02, 2018, 01:42:01 am »
My bike has a layer of dust on it and it's nowhere near a CNC machine.  ::)

That's just the dreary ever-descending dust of distraction and disappointment. Router dust is from the Devil, bringing death and destruction of devices.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7562 on: December 02, 2018, 02:06:01 am »

That's just the dreary ever-descending dust of distraction and disappointment. Router dust is from the Devil, bringing death and destruction of devices.

Currently looking at dust extractors to mount outside the shack and the enclosure design is sized up to look at and sort out some details but rewiring first because it was  :palm: worthy
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7563 on: December 02, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »

I can't say enough good things about these wee meters. The are awesome! I thought the one I had got was just a lucky one as it was so accurate but it seems others who have the same meter feel the same. Enjoy!  :-+

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7564 on: December 02, 2018, 04:42:29 pm »
Received one of these strange, but dirt cheap Chinese frequency meters:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/plj-8led-h-hf-signal-frequenzzähler-zähler-tester-modul-0-1-1000mhz/392058493508

Naturally without any manual AND the red/black wires for the power and anemic signal connector inverted !!!
But it turns on, the blue digits are to die for ;) AND it even measures my scope 1KHz calibration taps (soon I'll even start the generator to see how far does it go, but after I'll rework the input).

Playing with the front buttons I've got selection from:

Channel A/B ?!?!?
Digital filter On/Off
A number to set:
IF xxxxxxxx

Pressing and holding both at power up, displays the firmware version: 2015.11.something

If somebody has already a manual for it, I will appreciate it.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline hussamaldean

• Supporter
« Reply #7565 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:17 pm »

I can't say enough good things about these wee meters. The are awesome! I thought the one I had got was just a lucky one as it was so accurate but it seems others who have the same meter feel the same. Enjoy!  :-+
yup
it is great, but is there anyway to connect it to oscilloscope as current clamp ?

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7566 on: December 02, 2018, 06:15:52 pm »

yup
it is great, but is there anyway to connect it to oscilloscope as current clamp ?

I don't know how you would do that buddy. Maybe one of the more experienced guys can tell you how to do that? I have no idea about doing this.
You could even make a brand new thread asking how to do it, that'll get more exposure I would think too? I'm sure someone here will be able to keep you right on doing it.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #7567 on: December 02, 2018, 08:11:14 pm »
There is a thread of that somewhere. But I believe the bandwidth is not high enough. If you want to measure DC current on you scope, get yourself some CMS3005 units while stock lasts.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7568 on: December 02, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »
There is a thread of that somewhere. But I believe the bandwidth is not high enough. If you want to measure DC current on you scope, get yourself some CMS3005 units while stock lasts.
What are those? I can't find much about those, other than some homebrew solutions.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7569 on: December 03, 2018, 04:28:52 am »
I find myself using it so much it might as well almost be permanently attached to me as I move around the house these days. (trying to catch up on lots of projects over the cold weather months) Of course measuring current without wire removal is just so very useful but also its NCV setting is too. I find myself using it to scan all sorts of devices. Some low voltage devices, like the PS2 keyboard I am typing on, inexplicably turn out to have high voltages present somewhere.  Will need to take it apart at some point to figure out why.

In the big thread about the UT-210E some people have modified it to allow tapping off the signal to a scope.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:31:14 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7570 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:58 am »

In the big thread about the UT-210E some people have modified it to allow tapping off the signal to a scope.

Ivan7enych posted a photo of his current probe output mod.

joeqsmith started a series of posts for his current probe output and bandwidth mods. He also made a video about it:

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: URI

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7571 on: December 03, 2018, 07:06:54 am »

https://www.ebay.de/itm/plj-8led-h-hf-signal-frequenzzähler-zähler-tester-modul-0-1-1000mhz/392058493508

Naturally without any manual AND the red/black wires for the power and anemic signal connector inverted !!!
But it turns on, the blue digits are to die for ;) AND it even measures my scope 1KHz calibration taps (soon I'll even start the generator to see how far does it go, but after I'll rework the input).

Channel A/B ?!?!?
Digital filter On/Off
A number to set:
IF xxxxxxxx

Pressing and holding both at power up, displays the firmware version: 2015.11.something

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Here it is in English.   See this page:  https://www.zl2pd.com/files/PLJ-8LED_Manual_Translation_EN.pdf

There are several pages on the net and a couple of YouTube videos about it.  Just search the web for:  PLJ-8LED
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:09:58 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, DC1MC

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7572 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:33 am »

Channel A/B ?!?!?
Digital filter On/Off
A number to set:
IF xxxxxxxx

Cheers,
 DC1MC
I got one of those, very happy with it but the decimal point stays in place at each 3rd digit to indicate thousands is annoying. I use it now when I need to use 2 counters only because of it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7573 on: December 03, 2018, 10:31:27 am »

Channel A/B ?!?!?
Digital filter On/Off
A number to set:
IF xxxxxxxx

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Someone else has posted the link to the manual so I won't bother but will add that these little meters are damn good value for money, they're pretty accurate and have a bunch of features like selectable IF offset (via the 6 pin header on the rear) which makes them useful for building in to radio projects, the ones I've had do generate a bit of RF noise so you need to pay attention to power supply filtering and they can benefit from shielding.

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley, bitseeker, DC1MC

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7574 on: December 03, 2018, 09:45:53 pm »
There is a manual floating around for a previous version of the PCB.

8-digit LED Frequency Counter Module
Model PLJ-8LED-C
User Manual V 1.0
May 2014

Channel A/B ?!?!?
Digital filter On/Off
A number to set:
IF xxxxxxxx

Cheers,
 DC1MC
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf