Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1636885 times)

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7800 on: November 17, 2018, 01:25:34 am »

Help!!!  :scared:  I am an ignorant rookie and may or may not even use this stuff much, though my interest and free time are both increasing so hope to learn a bunch of new stuff this next year.

THIS I'll be able to use for sure, but all this stuff adds up eh? Fortunately I'm old and there isn't anybody left to buy Christmas presents for, so there's that. Oh yea! I have to get something cool for myself closer to Christmas too! My poor wallet. :o

You obviously need help with your new found addiction. Visit this thread and you'll be buying even more.....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7801 on: November 17, 2018, 02:07:30 am »
A pair of 1GHz vacuum rectifiers for a restoration project. $1 for two  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7802 on: November 17, 2018, 02:56:52 am »
A pair of 1GHz vacuum rectifiers for a restoration project. $1 for two  :-+

Now that is a price that's hard to argue with.
VE7FM

Offline gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
« Reply #7803 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:55 pm »
I got my Keithley 182 nanovoltmeter with a display fault. The cause of the fault was the +60V voltage generation circuit. I had some 34063 at hand so made a step-up converter.  ;D

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7804 on: November 17, 2018, 11:26:09 pm »
I got a mail saying my 121GW was on it's way....  :)

Canny wait!!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7805 on: November 18, 2018, 12:22:09 pm »
I went for a walk at around midday today and ended up at the local weekend trash and treasure market so I went in for a bit of a look around. I stumbled across one seller who had a few used multimeters all layed out for display on a table and I was astonished to find that the LCD display on every meter had turned purple.   :o ::)

One of the multimeters he had was a Fluke 116 in pretty good condition except for the damaged screen so I asked him what he wanted for it, he said eighty bucks and went on to say they are worth a few hundred, I laughed out loud and said "not like that they're not, you need to keep anything with an LCD out of the sun".   :P 8)

With that he promptly moved everything with a screen into the shade but it was all too little too late, he then said the meter still works, I laughed again and told him that the meter was now stuffed and needed a new LCD which would probably exceed the meters value, some people really have no idea how to care for stuff.   :-BROKE :( 

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7806 on: November 18, 2018, 08:51:35 pm »
I went for a walk at around midday today and ended up at the local weekend trash and treasure market so I went in for a bit of a look around. I stumbled across one seller who had a few used multimeters all layed out for display on a table and I was astonished to find that the LCD display on every meter had turned purple.   :o ::)

One of the multimeters he had was a Fluke 116 in pretty good condition except for the damaged screen so I asked him what he wanted for it, he said eighty bucks and went on to say they are worth a few hundred, I laughed out loud and said "not like that they're not, you need to keep anything with an LCD out of the sun".   :P 8)

With that he promptly moved everything with a screen into the shade but it was all too little too late, he then said the meter still works, I laughed again and told him that the meter was now stuffed and needed a new LCD which would probably exceed the meters value, some people really have no idea how to care for stuff.   :-BROKE :(

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... it is funny but it's a pity a few meters were harmed in the making  ???

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7807 on: November 19, 2018, 07:27:38 am »
Brought stuff in actual physical shops today  :o

Sutton Drill top up pack to replace the busted and abused smaller ones in my larger set. 2 x 100 packs of 3mm cable ties for $2.25 for both.

Based on a quick Big Clive sprudgering tear down 2 4000mAH power banks for $20/pair from the Rejectshop (aussie chain) cells are labelled 2000 but seems to be ZERO battery protection or charging unless it is on the cell unpopulated pads on the board for another IC Mmmmm anyone want to toast some Marshmallows when the smoke comes out  :--
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:32:10 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7808 on: November 19, 2018, 08:00:44 am »
Ordered 30x 9 pole Male Sub-d headers from China. Today 30x 9 pole FEMALE sub-d headers turned up.  :palm:

First time I've been disappointed that 30 Females turned up at my door.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7809 on: November 19, 2018, 09:24:12 am »
Ordered 30x 9 pole Male Sub-d headers from China. Today 30x 9 pole FEMALE sub-d headers turned up.  :palm:

McBryce.

They identify as male and you've assumed their gender, I can't even...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7810 on: November 19, 2018, 09:30:04 am »

McBryce.

They identify as male and you've assumed their gender, I can't even...

Tell that to the mating connectors that seem to identify to the gender they were assigned!

McBryce.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #7811 on: November 19, 2018, 09:58:45 am »
Got some HP5082-7340 LED modules, they look very nice:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

The following users thanked this post: tooki, bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7812 on: November 19, 2018, 12:08:19 pm »
Got some HP5082-7340 LED modules, they look very nice:

Those are some attractive modules for sure.

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7813 on: November 19, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »

Do LCD displays get damaged that quickly, though?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7814 on: November 19, 2018, 12:46:52 pm »
I wouldn't have thought so either but it was a pretty hot and humid day here on Sunday at around 28 celsius with no cloud cover at all and no telling how long they had been exposed to direct sunlight, based on his asking prices I suspect he has probably had them for quite some time.     

I got the impression from the seller that the problem had only just occurred as he appeared to be unaware of the damaged screens until I brought it to his attention, another seller also had a few meters but he had them situated under a large umbrella so they were mostly in the shade. 

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7815 on: November 19, 2018, 12:59:59 pm »
I wouldn't have thought so either but it was a pretty hot and humid day here on Sunday at around 28 celsius with no cloud cover at all and no telling how long they had been exposed to direct sunlight, based on his asking prices I suspect he has probably had them for quite some time.     

I got the impression from the seller that the problem had only just occurred as he appeared to be unaware of the damaged screens until I brought it to his attention, another seller also had a few meters but he had them situated under a large umbrella so they were mostly in the shade.
While I admittedly don't know much about the phenomenon, I'd guess that it takes more than a sunny afternoon to damage a meter screen of reasonable quality. Otherwise we'd probably see many more damaged meters around, as people work outside with them too. Maybe he bought an already damaged batch?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7816 on: November 19, 2018, 01:30:39 pm »
He had a variety of different meters most of which were used so it wasn't a batch thing and he probably just bought them all in a bundled lot from an auction house. I have seen other meters with this problem before and as part of my work we regularly use meters outdoors in direct sunlight but never for any extended period. We might have to sacrifice a meter for science or ask Joe if he has a spare blown one hanging around which he could put to the test.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7817 on: November 19, 2018, 07:37:12 pm »
He had a variety of different meters most of which were used so it wasn't a batch thing and he probably just bought them all in a bundled lot from an auction house. I have seen other meters with this problem before and as part of my work we regularly use meters outdoors in direct sunlight but never for any extended period. We might have to sacrifice a meter for science or ask Joe if he has a spare blown one hanging around which he could put to the test.

In every case that I have experienced the LCD recovers when it cools back to some reasonable temperature.  Wouldn't want to bet a high dollar meter on it, but have watched it happen a lot of times when I lived in Arizona.

The following users thanked this post: bookaboo

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7818 on: November 19, 2018, 07:47:26 pm »
Since folks are talking about meters... Yesterday I received a cheapie one (Surpeer AV4)

First impressions at:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/surpeer-av4-true-rms-4-5-digit-multimeter/msg1976153/#msg1976153
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7819 on: November 19, 2018, 09:53:23 pm »
I've seen LCDs go all black from heat before, but they always recoved...

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7820 on: November 21, 2018, 02:45:36 pm »
I got this little beauty delivered this morning! Looks minted! I only had a quick swatch at it but i'll open it up later and get a proper look at it.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 02:51:45 pm by Terry01 »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7821 on: November 22, 2018, 04:10:53 am »
2.5 kWh 16s LG chemical  LiPo battery pack. To be used in electric garden tractor conversion.   $340 + 40 shipping.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
  • xDevs.com/live - 24/7 lab feed
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #7822 on: November 22, 2018, 04:30:46 am »
Yet another dead HP 3458A :(
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Live-cam | Share T&M documentation? Upload! No MB limit, firmwares, photos.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #7823 on: November 22, 2018, 04:59:53 am »
I just ordered a pair of much needed parts storage units from Amazon - damn I love free Prime shipping from the USA!

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B078ST18GW/ref=pe_2361882_282382012_TE_item

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7824 on: November 22, 2018, 07:58:07 am »
Needed so retail therapy after having a rubbish week and I guess I am still on Santa's permanent naughty list based on several decades of no pressies so Christmas is arriving early for me.

1000x600x200mm 2.2kW CNC router anyone want to make a really really big PCB or front panel?

Now what do I need to make first ......  >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf