Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2743069 times)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7925 on: February 14, 2019, 11:01:52 am »
The two Workzone branded small vices (suction and edge mount) from Aldi go on special once a year for about $15 each which is a bit of a bargain.
Yeah, we get those in the UK too, I've looked at them a few times, you reckon they're good?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7926 on: February 14, 2019, 11:10:54 am »
They look identical (in design) to the Proxxon, just a different colour. However, I've no idea whether they used cheaper materials.

Speaking of which, I used my last Proxxon vice (suction cup version) to push close 100x 50pin Centronics IDC connectors to flat cable and when I was finished, the threads were completely sheared off and I had an ex-vice. So they are not made to handle higher pressure.

McBryce.   
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7927 on: February 14, 2019, 11:52:11 am »
The two Workzone branded small vices (suction and edge mount) from Aldi go on special once a year for about $15 each which is a bit of a bargain.
Yeah, we get those in the UK too, I've looked at them a few times, you reckon they're good?

Had mine for several years, I went for the a couple of the suction versions as they seemed more flexible on the bench. They are fairly heavy and unless it's off balance are fine for connectors and small pcbs etc. I don't use the suction but if required you could properly clamp them down or use a jig to secure them to the table.

No idea how strong they are but they have a bit of weight to them and do clamp tight for holding. The jaws have removable silicon grips and are unscrewable steel plates themselves so easy to do a wood conversion. Aldi isn't exactly staffed with rocket scientists so even if you put it through its paces they would likely take it back without issue. The price is right anyway.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7928 on: February 14, 2019, 03:28:44 pm »
... on one occasion she told me of a visitor who was storing fresh food in the bath with ice from the bar.
Hopefully not human kidneys.
Or a body.   :o
You guys have strange ideas about "fresh food".

Meh, it's all protein...

Children are very good--if marinated properly. :popcorn:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7929 on: February 14, 2019, 07:27:39 pm »

I bought one two years ago.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7930 on: February 15, 2019, 01:49:17 am »
Man, I read gamalot's reply immediately after GreyWoolfe's without reading the quoted text in between. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7931 on: February 15, 2019, 02:05:09 am »

Well seems this guy could not find a good marinade recipe, as he clearly not enjoying his dinner.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7932 on: February 15, 2019, 02:15:59 am »
Woah! :scared:
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7933 on: February 15, 2019, 02:53:07 am »
After a bit sniffing, I found the literal smoking gun -- a smoking UK to universal socket adapter.
Those universal adapters are crap + dangerous because of how they're designed. The nickname deathdapter is well deserved.

The previous one probably suffered from a high current load, maybe someone plugged the kettle in it.
I was talking to housekeeping last time I was in HK and she said some people bring their own electric grills with them so they can cook in the rooms :palm:

That happens in the UK too, my partner worked for a number of hotels up to 5 star in London and it's quite common to have maintenance reset breakers because people trip them with grills, it's also common to throw kettles away because people 'cook' in them, on one occasion she told me of a visitor who was storing fresh food in the bath with ice from the bar.

A bit off topic, but back when I was trundling around the State doing annual routine tests on AM Broadcast transmitting sites, we had to do them "after programme shutdown".
It got a bit wearying, so the electric kettle was kept busy making coffee as we worked through the night.

Finally, there were only the antenna tests to do, at the "mast hut", which would take another couple of hours.
Remembering that there was a power point  at the hut, we took all our coffee making stuff with us.

There was no real path, (overgrown), but finding our way to the hut in the dark was easy, with the outside light on the Tx building, & the mast lights  to guide us.

On reaching it, the first thing was,"Let's put the kettle on!".

Did so, & we were greeted by instant darkness!
Interior  & exterior lights of both huts, ---- gone!
Yes, the mast lights were still on, but they just showed us where we were, the Tx hut was invisible.

I had to find my way back in the pitch dark with the only torch (flashlight) & replace the fuse.(Yes!  A fuse!).

I banged my knee nicely on one of the "star pickets" they had stuck in the ground to indicate access points for testing the earth mat.

After missing the Tx hut the first time, I finally got there & had to search around in the engine room for the (poorly marked fuse), but eventually all was well.

Why the internal/external lights of both huts, as well as the power socket on the wall of the mast hut were on the same (underrated) circuit is beyond me!

It was, however, a salutary lesson on how high the power draw of a simple domestic appliance can be.

Australian hotels & motels usually supply an electric kettle, so in those places, the socket is well able to handle a reasonable load.
This could well lead people from this country to expect the same performance in another country, using a cruddy adaptor.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7934 on: February 15, 2019, 07:38:47 am »
Man, I read gamalot's reply immediately after GreyWoolfe's without reading the quoted text in between. :-DD

So did I, and his profile picture didn't help the confusion either :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #7935 on: February 15, 2019, 12:25:12 pm »
this ms9811

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7936 on: February 15, 2019, 02:49:56 pm »
I was going to do the same thing to an instrument that had a lot of dead NiCads. Bought the NiMh replacements. Then reading up on characteristics (which I should have done before buying), discovered that NiMh do not like constant trickle charge. It apparently ruins them. The instrument used simple trickle charge. Changing that to implement the correct charge profile for NiMh wasn't feasible. So I had wasted a significant amount of money.

Looking at Wikipedia, it's probably fine, just you have to use a lower current. It cites a Duracell and Enegizer who suggest C/300 and C/30 as good limits. I used NiMH in my voltage reference, and it is fine so far after a few months of charging.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7937 on: February 15, 2019, 03:28:40 pm »
I was going to do the same thing to an instrument that had a lot of dead NiCads. Bought the NiMh replacements. Then reading up on characteristics (which I should have done before buying), discovered that NiMh do not like constant trickle charge. It apparently ruins them. The instrument used simple trickle charge. Changing that to implement the correct charge profile for NiMh wasn't feasible. So I had wasted a significant amount of money.

Looking at Wikipedia, it's probably fine, just you have to use a lower current. It cites a Duracell and Enegizer who suggest C/300 and C/30 as good limits. I used NiMH in my voltage reference, and it is fine so far after a few months of charging.

Actually got the cells concerned on charge at present. The second cycle is running at present and looks good so far. Hooked up to one of my R/C chargers for cycling so I can see what they are doing.

As it is a 10 cell pack for the HP I will be making a dedicated peak detection cutoff charger for it based around a suitable TI chip. These switch from rapid to a float charge and should look after the cells.

With your Vref be aware of the self discharge issues of NiMh unless you are running Enerloop type cells too. I have LiPo's in mine to avoid that issue.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline vaser888

• Contributor
« Reply #7938 on: February 15, 2019, 04:05:47 pm »
Just got my Brymen869s multimeter the other day. First thing I did was take it apart  :-+
It's amazing the quality and weight difference compared to cheep 15$ meters.
I'm going to love using this meter for the next many years to come. 

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #7939 on: February 15, 2019, 10:49:16 pm »
I have a lot of Xcelite 99 series bits.  I have wanted a ratcheting driver.  I found this one at a hamfest that was not functional and the guy was asking $50 for it.  I did some looking again yesterday and found it on Amazon for $55 and is supposedly in stock.  Arrival is supposed to be Feb 8th.  We will see.

I just came across the motherlode at work, and I currently have 3 ratcheting 99-4-R T-handles sitting on my desk.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7940 on: February 16, 2019, 01:51:17 am »
I have a lot of Xcelite 99 series bits.  I have wanted a ratcheting driver.  I found this one at a hamfest that was not functional and the guy was asking $50 for it.  I did some looking again yesterday and found it on Amazon for $55 and is supposedly in stock.  Arrival is supposed to be Feb 8th.  We will see.

I just came across the motherlode at work, and I currently have 3 ratcheting 99-4-R T-handles sitting on my desk.

Well, I got my chain jerked on that one.  It was the new model currently selling for $32-$35.  I requested a refund and it is on its way back.  At the same time I bought that one, I picked up 2 well used with some bits for $45 shipped that work fine with a bit of Break-fee and just scored a very good condition one with bits for $30 that will be here Tuesday.  The 2 best will go in my work tool bag and the other will come in the house and have a fairly easy life.  I have tried T-handles in the past and didn't like them.  How are the Xcelites?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #7941 on: February 16, 2019, 11:25:59 am »

So did I, and his profile picture didn't help the confusion either :D

McBryce.

I bought another one this afternoon.  :-DD

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7942 on: February 16, 2019, 12:57:10 pm »
I bought another one this afternoon.  :-DD

Nice, weird timing as well the conversation coming up since they went on special today. I used one of mine last night during some soldering, have it sitting at the back of the table in easy reach.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #7943 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:27 pm »
There are a dozen or so Fluke 6080AN Synthesized Function Generators on Ebay for $125 that look like they were tossed from height into a dumpster.  I found one with the best looking case without any damage to the front panel / connectors, but didn't power on.  I tried talking the seller down to $75 but they said they are worth more than that as scrap metal(~60lb beast). 
Hopefully it's a power supply fuse/fault and everything else works, if not there's a full user manual and service/calibration manual with schematics an will be a fun project to tear apart.

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7944 on: February 18, 2019, 03:17:56 pm »
I don't know where these Fluke 6080A's are coming from - there certainly have been quite a few over the last couple of years, all at about $125.  I bought one a
while ago as did two of my friends.   All of them worked with some minor repairs needed.  For instance, on mine, the previous "repairman" had shifted one of
the ribbon cables to the back panel one column of pins.  That created havoc with the GPIB lines and locked the machine up.  About a year ago, an LM317 regulator
went in the P/S which took most of the rails down - an easy fix. 

But they truly are a hidden gem and a real bargain even at the ask price of $125.  In my experience, they are every bit as good as the HP 8642A generators which
usually go for a whole lot more.

And yes, they are HEAVY!

The following users thanked this post: Fludo

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7945 on: February 18, 2019, 04:14:16 pm »
Nice, ut by the time shipping, import, handling etc, ouch...

Offline Fludo

• Regular Contributor
  • EE
« Reply #7946 on: February 18, 2019, 06:31:42 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I already have a few of those chips laying around.  I'm one state away from the seller and the shipping is $70!

Online PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7947 on: February 18, 2019, 06:37:30 pm »

You clearly have read "A modest proposal", a satire from the 18th century, which I recommend everyone to read for a good laugh, it is short,

A MODEST PROPOSAL

For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland,
from being a burden on their parents or country,
and for making them beneficial to the public

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1080/1080-h/1080-h.htm

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7948 on: February 18, 2019, 08:25:46 pm »
Wasn't feeling like myself lately so i went to eBay and bought a bunch of transistors, copper clad boards and other stuff.
Feeling a lot better now.  :-DD
But seriously, can't wait to receive those parts, so many projects need doing.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #7949 on: February 18, 2019, 09:10:34 pm »
I got a Feeltech FY6600-30M (the 30MHz version) for a bargain. Quite cool little gizmo, especially because I can disable the damn "beeeeeeeeep!" at every keypress.

The screen is a bit small but overall it works very well.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf