Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2742937 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8025 on: March 20, 2019, 01:58:45 am »
A Cubiio laser. I know it's a scam, but I love small and neatly built things :palm:.
It serves my application well -- to remove marks from chips, and to laser new marks.
It certainly can't match pulsed fiber lasers, but it kinda works, which is all what I want.
Pics or it's just a rumor.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8026 on: March 20, 2019, 07:33:43 am »
Just picked these Nearfield Antennas up on ebay for a bargain (€40). I've been using homemade antennas up to now, so a few "real" ones were on my shopping list.

McBryce

Wauw, nice deal! Did you already do a side by side comparison with the homemade ones?

They haven't arrived yet, but I will do as soon as they are here. My homemade ones are made using the same method that Dave recently showed.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #8027 on: March 20, 2019, 07:50:08 am »
It's a SONY.  :)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Neon Light Transformer
« Reply #8028 on: March 20, 2019, 08:40:29 am »
Big dangerous piece of metal block ... a neon light transformer, free of charge.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:30:59 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8029 on: March 20, 2019, 08:42:36 am »
Its motors are not good at all. When XY axes are moving at the same time, linear velocity lowers, hence effective laser power increases.
Sounds more like a driver / power supply issue ?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8030 on: March 20, 2019, 09:18:54 am »
I hear decent feedback about the 40W small chinese lasers costing around $300-400.
Also not built to last but you can upgrade/ improve things yourself over time and they do the job.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8031 on: March 20, 2019, 09:27:09 am »
I hear decent feedback about the 40W small chinese lasers costing around $300-400.
Also not built to last but you can upgrade/ improve things yourself over time and they do the job.

They are a bit of a mixed bag. I went a bit more upmarket for a 40W which added a few nicer features before a few more mods. to improve it some more. Take any review online with a big bag of salt as always if their is sales links attached. Being able to get the correct drop in replacement tube is a major thing to consider.

A good option for lower power marking and very limited cutting is add a 0.5W-5W Laser to a 3D printer as a clip/magnetic add on. The 0.5W one I got a while back marks softwoods and cuts heavy paper and I also burnt the label off an IC package as a test.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:37:48 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #8032 on: March 20, 2019, 04:03:21 pm »
Big dangerous piece of metal block ... a neon light transformer, free of charge.  >:D

I had one of these years ago, awesome for a ridiculously dangerous Jacobs ladder. :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8033 on: March 21, 2019, 03:22:41 pm »
Deliverd yesterday: Yet another ASYC II DMM, MX54 this time, 35€ shipped, I didn't have one of these so far.
I now have (at least) one of each in the 50k count models (MX53 to MX56), the interesting thing about the MX54 is that it has LCD backlight sidelight.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8034 on: March 21, 2019, 03:26:18 pm »
Day before yesterday (sorry I still don't remember each day's name...):
A bunch of quad 18650 holders. The next problem is going to be the tough one, cheapish BMS with a bus.

Offline drescherjm

• Contributor
« Reply #8035 on: March 22, 2019, 02:27:56 am »
I think this will be adequate for my usage as a hobbyist.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 02:32:00 am by drescherjm »
I have BS degrees in CS and EE both in 1996. Since this time I have worked for the same medical imaging research team primarily as a programmer. Now at 47 I am trying to get back into electronics projects.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8036 on: March 22, 2019, 06:17:18 am »
drescherjm they're not bad power supplies... just be very careful of the preset buttons!

if you're not using presets, go through ASAP and set them all to 0V.

I was working with someone the other month and they had a prototype rigged up with a bunch of these supplies... they reached down to turn the outputs off on the different supplies, and managed to hit the preset button next to it instead. The preset was set to full 30V and full 5A CC. The circuit it was wired to was designed for a maximum of about 6V.... not a happy accident.

The following users thanked this post: drescherjm

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8037 on: March 22, 2019, 06:47:50 am »
RF calibration gold, tucked nicely in its new Peli case.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: BFX

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8038 on: March 22, 2019, 11:53:20 am »
Deliverd yesterday: Yet another ASYC II DMM, MX54 this time, 35€ shipped, I didn't have one of these so far.
I now have (at least) one of each in the 50k count models (MX53 to MX56), the interesting thing about the MX54 is that it has LCD backlight sidelight.

I have one of these nice meters, the MX52 which has the neat party trick of a centre zero option display, ideal for radio alignment.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8039 on: March 22, 2019, 12:15:16 pm »
drescherjm they're not bad power supplies... just be very careful of the preset buttons!

I was working with someone the other month and they had a prototype rigged up with a bunch of these supplies... they reached down to turn the outputs off on the different supplies, and managed to hit the preset button next to it instead. The preset was set to full 30V and full 5A CC. The circuit it was wired to was designed for a maximum of about 6V.... not a happy accident.
Weird. I have the same one, and on mine, pressing a preset button automatically turns off the output.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8040 on: March 22, 2019, 01:01:04 pm »

Weird. I have the same one, and on mine, pressing a preset button automatically turns off the output.

the one I saw looks the same from memory (maybe had a different brand on it though so might not be identical) and the guy hitting the preset button on that unit absolutely killed a board we were working on... but yeah, hopefully this one has that feature!

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8041 on: March 22, 2019, 08:59:31 pm »
A Thunderbolt dock for my Mac mini, mainly for its card reader and a myriad of USB ports.

Word of advice: don't buy it. It has ridiculously loud coil whine. I ended up stuffing the box with layers of foam to dampen it. The coils (plural) are closed, so I can't fill them with silicone gels.

It may be beneficial to post the manufacturer and model so folks know what to avoid if they're in the market for one.

FFS we need more real engineers, not just datasheet monkeys.

And designers who actually understand how to design useful and well-behaved products, web sites, etc. It really seems like things get crappier year after year. Or maybe my tolerance threshold simply gets lower with age. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8042 on: March 22, 2019, 11:34:42 pm »
Thank you for not treating us like babies.

That topic would fill a whole thread all on its own. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline drescherjm

• Contributor
« Reply #8043 on: March 23, 2019, 10:20:10 pm »

Thanks a lot. I just got the supply and the defaults were 30V for two of the presets. I definitely would not want that.
I have BS degrees in CS and EE both in 1996. Since this time I have worked for the same medical imaging research team primarily as a programmer. Now at 47 I am trying to get back into electronics projects.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8044 on: March 24, 2019, 12:47:33 am »
I thought I remembered the same, so I made sure to double check. The dual channel model turns off the outputs when another channel is selected. All similar supplies I've seen in reviews turn of their outputs when another channel is selected too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 03:59:40 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8045 on: March 24, 2019, 12:48:23 am »
Thanks a lot. I just got the supply and the defaults were 30V for two of the presets. I definitely would not want that.
Does your supply turn the output off when switching the channel?

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8046 on: March 24, 2019, 12:50:19 am »
Some more far-east junk, I've been avoiding this BGA problem for the last 20 years, now my sight is starting to fade I'm finally giving it a try. (I have some dodgy DDR RAMs on a Samsung LCD TV to try this on.)
Flux/balls are on their way.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8047 on: March 24, 2019, 01:08:22 am »
A set of Felo E-Smart insulated screwdrivers.  The daughter-in-law asked Mrs GreyWoolfe what I wanted for Christmas.  She asked me and I said a set of insulated screwdrivers.  Mrs GreyWoolfe reported back simply a screwdriver set.  So since they didn't know what kind of set I wanted, the son and daughter-in-law gave me a Visa gift card.  We just exchanged gifts a couple of weeks ago due to life getting in the way.  So I found a set I liked and purchased it.  Very nice set.  The bits lock up pretty tight in the handle and a simple button push releases the bits.  I have been known to change switches and outlets without bothering to turn off breakers.  Hopefully, these will minimize some shocks. ;D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:10:09 am by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline drescherjm

• Contributor
« Reply #8048 on: March 24, 2019, 03:00:10 am »
Does your supply turn the output off when switching the channel?

Good point! Thankfully it does so I don't have to worry as much.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8049 on: March 24, 2019, 04:11:46 am »
Bought a Cordless Bosch hot glue gun which arrived yesterday, this is a great unit and works so much better than my $7 ebay pos! it heats up 15 seconds instead of 5 minutes and charges from micro usb which is super handy!

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07J3F7ZWP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VlWLCbSE6HNKE

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf