Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2742904 times)

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8125 on: April 10, 2019, 05:52:36 am »
I have the keys in August. 2 km from work. Too big, on the other hand 15 sqm for the office and lab on the second floor.
Free shipping.
2km from work = no need for a car. 2km should be within walking or cycling range for most people.

As long as it's not too outrageously hilly. I'm something like 1.5k from work as I walk it, but given that I have to drop a few stories, climb back a few, then drop to sea level it's not a stroll.

Normally not a problem, although I do have my first proper HP boat anchor waiting for me at the office when I get back to Sydney. I suspect I'll have to get a coworker with a car to help me get it home at some point.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8126 on: April 10, 2019, 11:05:55 am »
I have the keys in August. 2 km from work. Too big, on the other hand 15 sqm for the office and lab on the second floor.
Free shipping.
2km from work = no need for a car. 2km should be within walking or cycling range for most people.

As long as it's not too outrageously hilly. [...]

He lives in the Netherlands. There are no hills in the Netherlands...

Offline Southernduckie

« Reply #8127 on: April 10, 2019, 12:23:50 pm »
Pace mbt250 with 5 hand pieces.
Fluke 45 bench dmm
Rigol dg4260 arb waveform generator.
 :scared: yep I'm going to be in trouble  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8128 on: April 10, 2019, 06:51:14 pm »
A house.

Cool! Wanna share some more?

Here, I'll share mine. I bought it in August.
Niiice, I like that a lot!

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8129 on: April 10, 2019, 07:13:34 pm »
Once they get fiber in my neighborhood, and thus have really high upload speeds, I may consider an online backup, too.
Be careful with your online backup providers though.
What hazards are you thinking of specifically?

Offline knapik

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8130 on: April 11, 2019, 08:33:03 am »
I picked up a Sun Netra 544 I found! I'm not very familiar with Sun workstations/servers but it looks like to me its basically just a Sun SPARCstation 5, but without a frame buffer card, keyboard or mouse. This one has a CD & Floppy drive which is apparently quite rare, and a 110MHz MicroSPARC II  ;D

Offline odessa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8131 on: April 11, 2019, 09:30:47 am »
An Agilent DSO2004A ... which is now 200MHz and fully unlocked :)
When  I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad ... Not all shouting and screaming like the passengers on his bus.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8132 on: April 11, 2019, 02:05:42 pm »
Bought these 2 off of evilBay.  I am out of outlets on my workbench and the PDU will let me connect my network hardware directly to my UPS and will sit under my switch for neatness.  The weedwacker line for my Craftsman weedwacker as I do not want to go through the hassle to find what other shaft/head will fit it and I like the .110 inch line.  Regardless of what people think of Sears, having a small independent (I think) Sears store 5 minutes from the house was very convenient.  It was sad to see the store empty.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:09:55 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline electromotive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8133 on: April 11, 2019, 02:54:32 pm »

That started off at 70 mhz, right?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8134 on: April 11, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »
Bought from Ebay a Hantek T3100 (2KV 100MHz) oscilloscope probe to measure some things that may go over voltage for my regular 300Vrms probes, like the output of some CCFL power supplys, with working frequency in the KHz range.

Image 1: probe measuring a sinusoidal with aprox. 730Vpp, 260Vrms, 35KHz
(EDIT) Image 3: hardcopy from scope

With the probe calibrated with the traditional 1KHz signal from scope, as the frequency measured rises, an undershoot slowly increases.  Attached a screen capture (image 2) with the above yellow trace from a TEK P2220 and the lower blue one, from the Hantek T3100, measuring a 4Vpp 1MHz square wave. For what I intend to use it, and for the price (€17), the T3100 is suitable. I'm just not a fan of the "unclipping" clip, but otherwise the probe seems well built.

I know the Testec are somewhat appreciated in the community, but they are more expensive and to spend more on a reasonable better probe, I had to put more thought on that. But if someone as any suggestion I'm always glad to ear it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:50:21 pm by Mortymore »

Offline odessa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8135 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:56 pm »

That started off at 70 mhz, right?

Yep   :D
When  I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad ... Not all shouting and screaming like the passengers on his bus.

The following users thanked this post: electromotive

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8136 on: April 12, 2019, 01:09:09 am »
Yep   :D
Kerry doesn't look impressed with that :D

The following users thanked this post: odessa

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8137 on: April 12, 2019, 04:44:38 am »
Broke my cherry and Brought my first App today in 7 or 8 years of Droid use :o Anyone with a Tello Drone highly recommend this one by heaps over the stock Ryze app :-+ 3 batteries back on charge for round two in the backyard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv&hl=en_AU
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8138 on: April 12, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
A companion to my programming gigs... In pristine condition!

I love these LEDs...

(TI Programmer calculator)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8139 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:10 pm »
I've also got one of those TI Programmers. My first calculator was a regular TI-30 back in the late seventies.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8140 on: April 14, 2019, 05:28:38 am »
It is a bunch of used computer parts today: a Colorful C.P45K motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard, a 500W ATX power supply unit, and a NVMe riser card.

The Colorful motherboard and the 500W PSU completes the machine for my mom, with a bunch of spare parts from my junk bin: a Core 2 Quad processor, four sticks of 2GB DDR2-800 memory, a spare SSD and a GTX 1060 graphics card.

The Gigabyte motherboard and the NVMe riser is an at-grade replacement for the current motherboard in my Hackintosh, allowing my to put my (currently spare) Samsung 960 Pro 512GB NVMe SSD into it.

Offline electromotive

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8141 on: April 15, 2019, 02:52:14 am »
Finally installed my $2.39 wrist strap ground thing to my work bench.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8142 on: April 16, 2019, 03:23:55 am »
A 7.5 digit DMM, with a twist.

DMM on PCIe card?

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8143 on: April 16, 2019, 06:04:19 am »

Two weeks ago my partner bought these two cards. They arrived yesterday and they are interesting because there are four Tulip chip on each board  :D

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8144 on: April 16, 2019, 06:13:48 am »
I blame TEA for deviating the conversation to RF. Caused me to NEED a small dose of retail therapy. Must go back and corrupt the perpetrators with talk of 3D printers and Calibration gear in response >:D

Baofeng BF-F8HP as an upgrade from a couple of very average 70cm ones eBay auction: #163543014955

NESDR SMArt XTR Dongle and Aerial to play with and see if I need to add a Discone to next weeks shopping  ::) eBay auction: #172813499296
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8145 on: April 16, 2019, 06:51:56 am »
I blame TEA for deviating the conversation to RF. Caused me to NEED a small dose of retail therapy. Must go back and corrupt the perpetrators with talk of 3D printers and Calibration gear in response >:D

Baofeng BF-F8HP as an upgrade from a couple of very average 70cm ones eBay auction: #163543014955

NESDR SMArt XTR Dongle and Aerial to play with and see if I need to add a Discone to next weeks shopping  ::) eBay auction: #172813499296
Yep, if only we had the time to read everything in TEA, we'd know bucket loads about everything. I doubt that there's a topic that hasn't been covered [emoji6] and it's all done with such good humour too, long live TEA.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8146 on: April 16, 2019, 11:22:56 pm »
Not really a purchase but gifted by my fire fighting brother... two C02 extinguishers for the workshop.  :-+

Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8147 on: April 17, 2019, 03:58:47 am »
DMM on PCIe card?

DMM on PXIe card. PXIe is PCIe*1 in Eurocard form factor with Compact PCIe connectors designed for PC-based instruments.
Unlike PCIe cards which terminate on bottom side, they terminate on back side. See attached pictures for how the chassis connector looks like.
That has to cost an arm and a leg... I wonder if such cards has regular PCIe versions? If so a PC-based DSO That also has a good graphics card would be interesting (high sample rate near real time spectrum analyzing using the GPU for FFT?)

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #8148 on: April 17, 2019, 04:24:33 am »
A 7.5 digit DMM, with a twist.

So much goodness there - LTZ1000 volt ref!
VE7FM

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8149 on: April 17, 2019, 05:01:19 am »
That has to cost an arm and a leg... I wonder if such cards has regular PCIe versions? If so a PC-based DSO That also has a good graphics card would be interesting (high sample rate near real time spectrum analyzing using the GPU for FFT?)

The card has an MSRP of over $3700, but there's no way I paid anywhere near that, despite being brand new. I paid $1400 for it, which is actually considerably cheaper than a standalone 7.5 digit DMM. The performance of this card is better than 34470A, on par with DMM7510, with digitizer option (the combo would be in north of $4000).

For what you are asking, a PXI system is the answer.
A PXI system can have an embedded controller, which is basically a computer with PCIe brought to the backplane (or an interface card that plugs into another computer through an MXI cable or Thunderbolt 3 cable), a bunch of test & measurement cards, and a switching backplane.

NI used to make PCI/PCIe-based DAQ cards, but those were phased out over the years for whatever reasons.

For your FFT question, yes, there are GPGPU or FPGA accelerators for PXI as well, just cost over $10k. Anything PXI will be more expensive than their standalone counterparts, mostly due to the added value from automation and equipment virtualization.

Remember, for high profit businesses, cost isn't essentially the dictating factor of price. Created value is.

I have a video tour of my PXI dream box coming soon, I'll post a video once it's uploaded.
What I am wondering is that whether I can plug a non-embedded-controller PXI unit to an existing gaming PC or graphics workstation that already has a good GPU in it.

Also I wonder if there is PXI-to-PCIe adapter cards, that takes one or two PCIe slots in an regular PC to create one PXIe slot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf