Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1237574 times)

Emo, hscade, gusnovak, bsudbrink, rsjsouza and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8600 on: May 18, 2019, 07:42:42 pm »
a used hameg 407-2

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8601 on: May 19, 2019, 03:03:47 am »
a weller wsa350 fume extractor

Let me know how it works.
Is it worth buying?
How does it compare to the Hakko FA-400?
https://www.hakkousa.com/products/fume-extraction/hakko-fa-400-smoke-absorber/hakko-fa400-smoke-absorber.html

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #8602 on: May 19, 2019, 03:17:07 am »
Is it worth buying?
don't know, I don't have the hakko ! I found it more noisy than I thought it would be, but it's completely acceptable.
it absorbs smoke, but you have to be not too far, 20cm I would say, or it absorbs very less.

Offline sab

• Contributor
« Reply #8603 on: May 19, 2019, 10:12:17 am »
I replaced the stock fan with a low noise one (model no: 4800N from Papst) and that quietened it down a lot.

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #8604 on: May 19, 2019, 01:44:08 pm »
So my new TFlex 405 cables have been tested.

Holy cow, they responded to my twist angle vs phase shift and amplitude shift test extremely well. Better than original RG405, and way better than my RG402, SS405 and cheap cables.

https://youtu.be/GVX1pnu4SkE

https://youtu.be/rtDk8ZD5Hew

https://youtu.be/hfH1ScLDIMg

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8605 on: May 20, 2019, 12:59:19 am »

Is it worth buying?
https://www.hakkousa.com/products/fume-extraction/hakko-fa-400-smoke-absorber/hakko-fa400-smoke-absorber.html
I have a spare one of these that I don't use if you are interested. The filter is like new because it never got used.

McBryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

Online GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8606 on: May 20, 2019, 07:47:30 am »
I am unashamedly a Ryobi fanboy.  I have a circular saw, a table saw and the 1 Plus Hammer drill and right angle drill and a bunch of attachments.  At home depot yesterday, we saw a promotion that was 2 3AH HP batteries, charger and case for $99 and pick a select tool for free.  I grabbed the 3 speed impact driver to go with it as I have wanted one.  On top of that I got to pick my Father's Day gift.   A special purchase Ryobi 1 Plus rotary tool.  Has a motor base, flexible cable and head and uses the 1 Plus batteries.  I love Mrs GreyWoolfe and I love living Green!!! :-DD
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8607 on: May 20, 2019, 12:27:40 pm »

Is it worth buying?

these square black things are better than nothing, I think.. they seem to work, in that they appear to suck in smoke and push out smoke free "air" out the back -  but I have no idea if there's anything in the solder fumes that you can't see, but is still a problem. Of course if there was, you wouldn't know what they were doing to that....

The issue with using these is you need it right up where you're soldering, and in my experience with ones like this you pretty much need them leaning *over* the workpiece... I have seen a variant of these on an articulated arm, which would be a huge advantage if you were wanting the best option to go for. because it'd be much easier to pull in to solder and push away to inspect, and not be taking up actual desk space right at the point where you're working.

Just understand that there's no magic - air sucking devices pull air from all around, so you don't get that much reach from any air inlet where all smoke gets pulled away.  All solder fume solutions require you having something at least 4 inches from where you're soldering (I have an under desk metcal thing with two hoses that's like a special purpose stationary vacuum cleaner (one hose inlet plugged, one hose in use) and even that needs the hose 4 inches from the workpiece.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8608 on: May 21, 2019, 01:09:14 am »
I bought a used AMD Radeon RX 480 8GB reference graphics card for abut US$80 today. It comes with a factory overclock making it performing on par with the RX 580 in my Hackintosh. This card is used in my dual processor workstation replacing the GeForce GTX 1060 3GB, which is suffering under my 4K monitor.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8609 on: May 21, 2019, 06:23:44 am »
A Tektronix DMM 4050 that works!

DMM4050, HP 3561A, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, Fluke 181 Nanovoltmeter, Dos4Ever uTracer, Tek TDS7104, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, 1062LS101

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8610 on: May 21, 2019, 12:09:15 pm »
ESI 240c
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Online maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8611 on: May 22, 2019, 01:41:48 pm »
ESI 1063 Volt-Ohm box. Only 275 so I figured why not. Also a Keithley 155 but it's not for me, I did buy it though.

Online GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8612 on: May 24, 2019, 05:44:29 am »
Years ago, when our workplace was bought out and the assets plundered/stripped, I found a DEC KDJ11 CPU board (PDP-11/83) in the trash.  Someone had already ripped out the processor hybrid, more than likely to reclaim the gold.

I was thinking about putting it in a shadowbox for display this week when I pondered, "wonder if I can find a CPU chip online for less than ridiculous money..."  The boards themselves sell for thousands of dollars today, but the processor itself can be had for surprisingly little.  I made a lowball offer on the cheapest one I could find and it was accepted.

So here is my frankenCPU board, all ready to put on display.  I'll probably never own a working PDP-11 (unless you count the SIMH emulator and blinkenlight display), but this is close enough for me.

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8613 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:49 am »
Who in their right mind will pay thousands of $ for only a single pcb of many needed for a piece of computer antique ?

Online GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8614 on: May 24, 2019, 08:29:01 am »
There's a lot of stuff on the Bay of Evil which is priced at ridiculous levels....  I suppose that since these haven't been made for 30 years or more, some vendors think they can charge an arbitrary amount for one.  In all fairness, the board has a large amount of unobtainium on it so if you really want a working one, you'll have to allow for that.

The prices do decline, though, when people stop buying them; they seem lower now than they were the last time I looked - some as little as a couple of hundred $.   :-DD

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8615 on: May 24, 2019, 04:27:10 pm »
Who in their right mind will pay thousands of $ for only a single pcb of many needed for a piece of computer antique ?

People will pay a lot of money for old computers if they want them bad enough: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-RARE-Commodore-65-Prototype-/223509001295

McBryce.

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8616 on: May 24, 2019, 06:54:07 pm »
People will pay a lot of money for old computers if they want them bad enough: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-RARE-Commodore-65-Prototype-/223509001295

McBryce.
Wow, that's... Wow. At first I thought the ended listing was closed by the seller, until I saw the bids...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
  • M0UAW
« Reply #8617 on: May 24, 2019, 08:01:14 pm »

McBryce.
Wow, that's... Wow. At first I thought the ended listing was closed by the seller, until I saw the bids...

Yeah, but there were only a couple of hundred ever made so...
M0UAW

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8618 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:40 pm »
An old HP 1630D logic analyzer.

Recently one of my lovable nearly-grown-up kittens discovered that the pod flying leads of my old 1630G were fun to cut with his very sharp teeth. I caught him after he'd neatly severed only two wires, but damn... Those wires are special. Fine, very flexible, with brightly colored teflon insulation. I repaired them, but this reminded me I have no spares for that machine, other than a small stock of ECL chips.

Ventured into ebay meaning to buy some spare pod-lead sets, but instead found a whole 1630D. Looking good, working. Got it for $15. But the shipping, arrgh!  Anyway, it's here now and works. It's amazingly pristine, for something so old. Very light dusting inside.  All metal inside and out still looks new.

Now where am I going to keep it?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8619 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »
I got this little thing,  mainly because it was there and it looked nice and it had the right price tag on it. Well,  ok,  I need it for that odd job or two that might pop up..
It's a Stahlwille  775a torque screwdriver. So what if it's in inch pounds... I still like it  :-DD

Online maginnovision

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8620 on: May 25, 2019, 06:33:28 am »
Some pictures of my volt-ohm box.

Edit: one more half cleaned.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 05:15:05 pm by maginnovision »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8621 on: May 25, 2019, 12:39:20 pm »
An old HP 1630D logic analyzer.

Recently one of my lovable nearly-grown-up kittens discovered that the pod flying leads of my old 1630G were fun to cut with his very sharp teeth. I caught him after he'd neatly severed only two wires, but damn... Those wires are special. Fine, very flexible, with brightly colored teflon insulation. I repaired them, but this reminded me I have no spares for that machine, other than a small stock of ECL chips.

Ventured into ebay meaning to buy some spare pod-lead sets, but instead found a whole 1630D. Looking good, working. Got it for $15. But the shipping, arrgh!  Anyway, it's here now and works. It's amazingly pristine, for something so old. Very light dusting inside.  All metal inside and out still looks new.

Now where am I going to keep it?

My cat did that to the silicone rubber insulated lead on my Weller TCPT iron.
It looked just like it had been neatly sliced through with a very sharp set of sidecutters!
My iron looked stupid for years, with a little terminal block halfway down the lead.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8622 on: May 25, 2019, 02:03:19 pm »
I love this thread. So many interesting things people buy  :-+

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8623 on: May 27, 2019, 03:09:25 am »
Just ordered a Tripp-Lite 24 outlet power strip ps7224.  I got real tired of all the smaller strips.  I'm going to mount it on the wall behind the bench.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:24:09 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8624 on: May 27, 2019, 04:20:45 am »
A crimping tool made in Japan:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf