Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2789266 times)

Offline m3vuv

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8825 on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:21 am »
4 cans of kronenbourg and a loaf of bread!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8826 on: September 29, 2019, 07:40:14 am »
4 cans of kronenbourg and a loaf of bread!

You should have made your loaf of Bread and brought more Beer  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8827 on: September 29, 2019, 10:25:39 am »
I wonder if it is possible to program that D87C51 using regular SDCC...

There was around 2001 a patched version of SDCC, indirectly promoted by Dallas Semiconductors/Maxim Integrated, for the new (well it was a "new" event in 2001) DS80C390, a fast 8051-compatible redesigned processor core able to executes 8051 instructions up to 3X faster than the original for the same crystal speed, and able to support a maximum crystal speed of 40MHz, resulting in apparent execution speeds of 100MHz.

This monster was the core of their TiniJava(1), a Waba embedded platform coupled with a Java1 compiler and a technology called "Jump51", which was able to automatically "adapt" the JavaByteCode to the natural intel 51 code for all the critical low level sections that need some "speedup".

It intriguing, and interesting, but it was not a success, hence they pushed their effort to SDCC, which was then "reloaded" by their marketing office for the next gen: the DS80C400 chip!

So, around 2001-2004, as far as I remember, SDCC was able to compile for both of them  :-//

What I mean is: we are on Gcc-v9, and GNU is going to drop the support for Itanium starting from Gcc-v11 as well as GNU dropped the 68HC11 support around Gcc v3.4.6, dunno what SDCC did with 51 after 2004.

(1) if you want to see a pic, I have one board in my lab. It's used as weather station. The manual is about 400 pages of Java1, while the development machine is a Windows95 laptop  :o :o :o

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8828 on: September 29, 2019, 10:37:02 am »

@Kilrah
That D87c51 was fairly expensive back in the day it was new, memories not so much..

So expensive aroung 1994 that ... I bought a refurbished 8051 chip, pushing the firmware (Intel Basic) into a common external ROM.

By converting "Lira" into "Euro" (x Lira = 0,16 x Euro) , but without considering money inflation, the board in the pic cost something like 120 euro. Making the PCB was very very expensive (and it doesn't have any protective paint, because too expensive), but just the MPU was 25 euro.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8829 on: September 29, 2019, 05:42:48 pm »
Nice!

The 2732 is going into this (and might put one of the others in the free socket, need to look at the addressing details...). Just about to celebrate its 31 years, manufactured October 88.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8830 on: September 30, 2019, 06:49:25 am »
This is an emergency buy really: a WD Black 2TB HDD (WD2003FZEX) replacing the dying WD Caviar Green 2TB in my main workstation. That Caviar Green was from 2011, so I am expecting it to die soon after it showed slowdowns in daily use.

I actually bought it yesterday, and immediately after it arrived I put it into my workstation and booted into a Ubuntu Live USB to ddrescue from that dying Caviar Green into that WD Black. It just finised and exposed 13 unreliable sectors, and SMART is screaming at me for running out of replacement blocks half way down the ddrescue.

I am booting my workstation on that WD Black now, and that dying Green is in my other machine being wiped.

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8831 on: September 30, 2019, 10:15:31 am »
A book with a weird title "Queueing Theory and Stochastic Teletraffic Models"  :o :o :o

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8832 on: September 30, 2019, 10:17:02 am »
And two books with tales written by Philip K. Dick  :o :o :o

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8833 on: September 30, 2019, 11:06:11 am »
As others have been talking about ancient kits... Not necessarily purchased, but the user richardp sent me his Ceibo DS750 development kit with complete 8051 emulation capabilities.

845600-0

845604-1

Also, I have an older TMS7000 Emulator complete and (the last time I checked) still working.

845608-2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 04:51:25 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8834 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:25 am »
Yay my first eBike!  ;D

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8835 on: October 01, 2019, 05:37:33 pm »
XMC to minigrip (not so good as hirschmann one) cables nice for Chinese ones.

Purpose will be explained later (spoiler alert ADALM2000 )  :-+
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:01:07 pm by BFX »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8836 on: October 02, 2019, 01:12:32 am »
This is an emergency buy really: a WD Black 2TB HDD (WD2003FZEX) replacing the dying WD Caviar Green 2TB in my main workstation. That Caviar Green was from 2011, so I am expecting it to die soon after it showed slowdowns in daily use.

I actually bought it yesterday, and immediately after it arrived I put it into my workstation and booted into a Ubuntu Live USB to ddrescue from that dying Caviar Green into that WD Black. It just finised and exposed 13 unreliable sectors, and SMART is screaming at me for running out of replacement blocks half way down the ddrescue.

I am booting my workstation on that WD Black now, and that dying Green is in my other machine being wiped.

Why aren't you booting from SSD?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Kilrah

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8837 on: October 02, 2019, 07:13:53 am »
A dozen sheets of Laser cuttable ply and paid out $240 USD to a Chinese supplier for freight for a single item weighing under 10kg :o

Lucky I have Coffee, Beer and some Beans in the cupboard to survive on .....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Radeon RX 580 4GB
« Reply #8838 on: October 02, 2019, 11:46:36 am »
Radeon RX 580 4GB, much more cheaper as the local distributor is dumping piles of unsold stock with big discount, compared to 8GB version, caused by weakening crypto market.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8839 on: October 03, 2019, 10:03:45 am »
2 1TB NVMe SSDs and a new cooler to refresh my SFF travel PC, mobo and CPU coming next week...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8840 on: October 04, 2019, 08:34:14 am »
Another Swift 7 after returning the previous one. This time with two dead pixels and uneven color temperature.
Making things worse, this unit came with dust and dandruffs in its hinge, and a fingerprint smudged trackpad, out of the box.
Upon warranty query, thus unit was sold in May! MSFT Store, are you kidding me? Repackaging returned PCs and sell as new?

MSFT Store is willing to return it for me, but I decided to give it a second chance and asked Acer if they can fix it. Acer basically says if it has less than 5 dead pixels, they won't fix it. Take it or return it.
Well, return it. Thanks, but no thanks. One more brand is added to my blacklist.

I'd like to make compromises for 1cm thickness and 1kilo weight, but this level of quality defects and such customer service deterred me. I'll put my $1299 to somewhere better.

Surface Book? Specially because of the Pen that is great to use with OneNote, since in another thread you said that OneNote is one of the apps that you can't live without.

[edit] Proofreading.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:12:42 pm by Black Phoenix »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8841 on: October 04, 2019, 10:50:06 am »
How about the Lenovo Yoga. It's on my shortlist for my next laptop. The E-Paper display would be ideal for Datasheet referencing without having to power up the whole machine.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8842 on: October 06, 2019, 05:59:38 pm »
A mint condition vintage EPSON PX-16 portable 8088 (V20) DOS computer. The 29 year old Sanyo NiCd battery even still works, first charge on an RC charger gave totally normal behavior and full nominal capacity  :o

I tend to look at my local auction site's "other computer systems" section every few days for interesting vintage things, and when cheap enough I'll typically put a bid without even really looking into what I'm getting. This ended up being mine for 30 bucks, and is probably the coolest vintage computer design I've seen. 4 modular bays, display could be one of 4 choices, one modular bay at the top right that could have stuff like a thermal printer or in my case a sram/eeprom card bay, bottom left is populated with a custom analog/digital IO card so it was likely used for measurement/logging purposes, memory's fully kitted out (640KB system RAM and 768Kb RAMDISK), and the most fun is that you have 3 freaking ZIF sockets for swapping around application EPROMs that just appear as standard drives in DOS.

There was even a keyboard replacement with a keyed numpad and a backlit touchscreen LCD replacing the main area. There were floppy/HDD attachments you could stack under it, all battery powered.

Unfortunately it seems this thing is super rare, thankfully there's one page with quite a bit of info on it, but apart from that nothing and I can't find any other units or parts for sale. Now I've seen the thing I'd love to find the floppy/HDD expansion and that sweet touch keyboard...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 06:02:53 pm by Kilrah »

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #8843 on: October 06, 2019, 07:43:52 pm »
9900 mAh 18650 accumulator:

Of course, the real capacity is slightly lower:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/9900-mah-18650-accus/msg2725094/#msg2725094
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
NVME to PCIE X4 adapter card
« Reply #8844 on: October 08, 2019, 09:12:20 am »
NVME to PCIE X4 adapter card with lotsa holes.  8)

Figured my NVME SSD was quite hot lying down there at the mobo, and also getting toastier as its placed near under the scorching hot GPU card, as some of the hot air flow was leaked from below the card and blowing it, decided to move it away from the GPU card, and placed at the spare and spaciously PCIEx4 slot for it to cool better.

Aware there are so many models of this cheap NVME to PCIE X4 adapter card, but what I like about this particular model is there are so many through holes across the board, as if needed, I may put a little quite small fan there too blowing thru those holes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:25:33 am by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8845 on: October 08, 2019, 09:19:39 am »
Ordered a Wowstick 1F+ just to see if they are any good...

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8846 on: October 08, 2019, 01:56:27 pm »

McBryce.

And what do you think of it?

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8847 on: October 08, 2019, 05:23:43 pm »
I was skeptic but after saw some videos decision was clear BEST BST-863 from china :)
Internal working-out is better like original Quick one.
And even somehow they delivered this guy without any additional payments (c_u_s_t_o_m_s, V_A_T) to europe. Great  :-+
I'm so satisfied with that.  :-+

New BST-863 during testing

Old shitty one

New one at his glorious place

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8848 on: October 09, 2019, 02:16:30 am »

McBryce.

And what do you think of it?

I just received the 2 x AAA powered version, not bad torque, considering its size. Very smooth, nice feel, certainly only for the small screws in aluminium and plastic scenario only I feel.
Certainly much better than it's bigger cousins such as a cordless drills or the Bosch type electric screwdrivers for small applications.

I think the rechargeable versions like the one you ordered are another step up in performance.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8849 on: October 09, 2019, 02:24:38 am »
I was skeptic but after saw some videos decision was clear BEST BST-863 from china :)
Internal working-out is better like original Quick one.
And even somehow they delivered this guy without any additional payments (c_u_s_t_o_m_s, V_A_T) to europe. Great  :-+
I'm so satisfied with that.  :-+
(Attachment Link)
New BST-863 during testing
(Attachment Link)
Old shitty one
(Attachment Link)
New one at his glorious place

Did you develop an issue with the old 'shitty' one  :-//

I have a Hanba badged version of the 968A+ that had been great until a few weeks ago when the soldering iron section started triggering an error that I haven't looked at sorting. The hot air side of it has been really good to have on the bench but I don't do a lot of SMD rework with it it is more a general purpose heat gun in my case with a bit of rework.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf