Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2793467 times)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9025 on: November 29, 2019, 10:58:51 am »
Latest money spend:

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9026 on: November 29, 2019, 11:34:45 am »
Latest money spend:

I have to get some of those eneloops! Everyone who uses them swears by them and I have been meaning to try them out.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9027 on: November 29, 2019, 11:36:50 am »

Rigol DS5074

That is a gorgeous instrument!

That's a beauty for sure! I have the baby version, 1054z but don't use it much. I think I would find reasons to use it if I owned "that" one though!  :-+

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9028 on: November 29, 2019, 02:00:31 pm »
Now THOSE things are gonna get you in real financial trouble!  You'll find all sorts of cool stuff to add to your evilBay searches! >:D

Like they didn't already. Would you believe they are just for 'research purposes'?   Pass the tissues.

(I speak from experience)

Wow. I will need a new house before I can fit that many (and the resulting buys.)
Hey, you have two 1972. Want to sell one?

And btw, do you collect HP Application Notes too? I've returned to that pursuit, after yet another painful reminder that many people are destroying these wonderful old documents, in the process of 'scanning' them. Cutting bindings off, to feed through auto-feed scanners, etc. Invariably making really crap quality scans, so really just vandalizing the paper originals for no real result.

I'm worried that by the time my finances improve (few more years maybe), many of the App Notes will have vanishingly few intact copies still existing. A pox on people who destroy rare historic print originals to scan them.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9029 on: November 29, 2019, 02:41:23 pm »
Now THOSE things are gonna get you in real financial trouble!  You'll find all sorts of cool stuff to add to your evilBay searches! >:D

Like they didn't already. Would you believe they are just for 'research purposes'?   Pass the tissues.

(I speak from experience)

Wow. I will need a new house before I can fit that many (and the resulting buys.)
Hey, you have two 1972. Want to sell one?

And btw, do you collect HP Application Notes too? I've returned to that pursuit, after yet another painful reminder that many people are destroying these wonderful old documents, in the process of 'scanning' them. Cutting bindings off, to feed through auto-feed scanners, etc. Invariably making really crap quality scans, so really just vandalizing the paper originals for no real result.

I'm worried that by the time my finances improve (few more years maybe), many of the App Notes will have vanishingly few intact copies still existing. A pox on people who destroy rare historic print originals to scan them.

Yeah, I use them for 'research', too.  Scary how costly research is, isn't it?

I haven't started down the app note rabbit hole so far, but fear I'm apt to now.

Unfortunately, the second '72 wouldn't be worth the postage.  I got it from Tucker Electronics before they shut down, and discovered that many of the instrument photos had been excised, scrap-book style, so it looked like Swiss cheese inside.  I contacted them about it, and he was very apologetic and said that catalog must have been used in the old days when they used to make up information sheets for their gear - apparently before desktop publishing was mainstream they'd literally cut and paste to make their master datasheets, and had gotten put in the wrong pile after its 'operation'.  Fortunately, they had another good copy, which he then sent. 

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9030 on: November 29, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »
I have to get some of those eneloops! Everyone who uses them swears by them and I have been meaning to try them out.

I had a lot more luck with Panasonic Evolta, after had both Duracell and Energizer batteries leak and damaged equipments that I own, one of them being the Fluke 54II (It had Duracell Procell on them). The 289 was catch at the same time before biggest damage was made (Energizer Normal Alkaline), Since they were starting to get "wet" close to the negative.

After that I bought a pack of 12 Panasonic Evolta that are still great, 6 years after. The other ones (Duracell and Energizer) were damaged in less that 2.

Here in China my wife uses GP Alkaline everywhere. I'm still trying to find an old equipment with leaking batteries on it, from the AC remotes to the wall clock. My 87V currently have their Energizer 9V that came with removed from inside it, until I find a suitable replacement.

Since I always read great about the Eneloop's, so I taken the plunge, being the AAAs for my Texas Instruments TI89 Titanium and the AAs for some heath equipment (Blood Pressure Machine, Milk Breast Pump, etc) while I'm probably going to buy some GP rechargeable to the rest of stuff that doesn't need an high energy demand, specially my baby toys that I may buy in the future and other minute things.

I remember when I was a kid throwing away tons of depleted AAs because of my Game Boy Classic (Pokemon was the cause  ;D).

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9031 on: November 29, 2019, 11:50:39 pm »
Latest money spend:

Let me know what you think of it once you’ve had a chance to use it for a while. I was just looking for a new charger and that was one model I was intrigued by.

FYI, they’re a great deal cheaper if you buy them at IKEA, where they’re white-labeled under the LADDA name. (The white high-capacity LADDA are eneloops. The low-capacity, but lower self-discharge brown cells are of unknown OEM.)

Offline Clarmrrsn

• Contributor
« Reply #9032 on: November 30, 2019, 01:01:34 am »
Have just purchased my first scope, a Siglent SDS1202X-E  :D

Think I am going to stalk the TNT depot to see if I can collect on Saturday, I am not sure waiting until Monday is really an option  :box:

Not quite in the same league as that sexy Rigol, but for a noob like me its just the ticket.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9033 on: November 30, 2019, 10:04:36 am »
Let me know what you think of it once you’ve had a chance to use it for a while. I was just looking for a new charger and that was one model I was intrigued by.

I will for sure. What I can say for now is that as options it have a low charge mode for less than 750mAh batteries and the screen is well visible at most of the angles, with backlight that can be turn off.

FYI, they’re a great deal cheaper if you buy them at IKEA, where they’re white-labeled under the LADDA name. (The white high-capacity LADDA are eneloops. The low-capacity, but lower self-discharge brown cells are of unknown OEM.)

The original Eneloop Batteries were designed and developed by a battery factory in Takasaki, Japan. That factory and the Eneloop brand were both owned by Sanyo, but in 2009 things changed. Panasonic bought the Eneloop brand, while Fujitsu, as part of its FDK subsidiary, owned the factory and all the IP associated with the manufacture of LSD batteries

FDK is an OEM manufacturer for other brands, Like Amazon, Fujitsu, Panasonic, and IKEA. So there is a chance that batteries from the same high-capacity to be exacty the same quality.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9034 on: November 30, 2019, 10:44:44 am »

I will for sure. What I can say for now is that as options it have a low charge mode for less than 750mAh batteries and the screen is well visible at most of the angles, with backlight that can be turn off.

I got the Opus C3100 charger for charging my 18650's. I find it ok but haven't had another to compare it against.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9035 on: November 30, 2019, 01:36:53 pm »

The original Eneloop Batteries were designed and developed by a battery factory in Takasaki, Japan. That factory and the Eneloop brand were both owned by Sanyo, but in 2009 things changed. Panasonic bought the Eneloop brand, while Fujitsu, as part of its FDK subsidiary, owned the factory and all the IP associated with the manufacture of LSD batteries

FDK is an OEM manufacturer for other brands, Like Amazon, Fujitsu, Panasonic, and IKEA. So there is a chance that batteries from the same high-capacity to be exacty the same quality.
Yeah! The white high-capacity LADDA batteries are made in Japan, and with FDK supposedly being the only Japanese manufacturer of such cells, people have concluded that those LADDA must be eneloops, essentially.

The brown low-capacity ones are made in China IIRC, so who knows what OEM they are. But they seem to work fine. (They recommend them for low-current devices like remote controls, where I guess the high capacity cells self discharge faster.) IKEA seems to be quite good at selecting battery OEMs: I’ve also been a fan of IKEA’s alkaline batteries for years. They work great, I’ve never had one leak, and they’re insanely cheap.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9036 on: November 30, 2019, 06:19:50 pm »
I haven't started down the app note rabbit hole so far, but fear I'm apt to now.

It's like heroin. Here, have a taste:
  http://everist.org/spacejunk/want/HP_Application_Notes.htm

I bought 15 a couple of days ago. A result of searching (unsuccessfully) for HP App notes: 201-4, -5, -6, -7, -8.
If anyone reading this happens to have/find those in original paper form, please PM me.
Edit to add: Looks like I have now secured 201-6 and 201-8.

Unfortunately, the second '72 wouldn't be worth the postage.  I got it from Tucker Electronics before they shut down, and discovered that many of the instrument photos had been excised, scrap-book style, so it looked like Swiss cheese inside.  I contacted them about it, and he was very apologetic and said that catalog must have been used in the old days when they used to make up information sheets for their gear - apparently before desktop publishing was mainstream they'd literally cut and paste to make their master datasheets, and had gotten put in the wrong pile after its 'operation'.  Fortunately, they had another good copy, which he then sent. 

That's an amusing story, and certainly worth keeping the cut-up copy as a conversation piece.
You should expand that note,  print, date and sign it, and stick it into the cut-up copy. Makes it more of a historical item for posterity.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:34:40 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9037 on: November 30, 2019, 07:16:32 pm »
Took advantage of the sale on PB Swiss items at the big Swiss tool dealer to get the ratcheting handle I've been wanting for ages, a set of bits, a set of precision Torx drivers, and a scribe.

PB 8510 R-30 ratcheting screwdriver handle:

E6 985 bit set:

PB 8643 precision Torx driver set:

PB 704 carbide scribe:

I also got a Mitutoyo vernier caliper, also on sale:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 07:21:10 pm by tooki »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9038 on: November 30, 2019, 10:12:31 pm »
Judging how some of my orders arrived in the past, I think they kick them all the way to me. However, most of my Aliexpress orders say that they are sent by airmail.

McBryce.

I think the postie gets extra in his pay cheque too if he kicks it all the way to your home from the sorting office.
I'm also sure the reason they pack the item is so the postie doesn't get sore feet kicking it....

There was me thinking it was to protect the item from being damaged... what a dumbass!  :-+

lol, I used to work for Australia Post IT, the sorting machines are the culprits, the big football stadium sized sorting machines move the parcels around at 2.5m/s - anything not packed properly doesn’t stand a chance.

I recently bought a second hand router via eBay and the idiot seller just threw it loose into a non padded satchel. Needless to say it arrived minus 2 antenna and beat to hell. I made the idiot refund me and pay return postage.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9039 on: December 01, 2019, 04:08:30 am »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 05:00:38 am by Ed.Kloonk »
iratus parum formica

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9041 on: December 01, 2019, 05:57:24 am »
The museum is having a swap meet next week, but I managed to raid some stuff early.  Got my paws on a Tek 7603 with 7A18 vertical and 7B53A sweep plug ins, along with a pair of 7A26 verticals and a 7B50 sweep to go along with it.  Also snagged a non-working and somewhat dirty 465B and unearthed a Weston 1240 DMM.  Oh, and an old tank radio.  Not a bad haul for $40 in my opinion.

I also brought home some 500 series plug-ins that one of the guys bought for me at an auction he was attending earlier in the week -

-Pat
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 06:02:39 am by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9042 on: December 01, 2019, 07:36:17 am »
Latest money spend:

I've had one of these chargers for a couple of years, works well, auto-detects between NiMH and Lithium - no complaints here.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline Deboscope

• Contributor
  • Given enough time, tasks manage themselves
« Reply #9043 on: December 01, 2019, 07:50:28 am »
One of these...

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #9044 on: December 01, 2019, 07:53:03 am »
Hioki SP300 non-contact AC voltage probe. :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9045 on: December 01, 2019, 03:35:17 pm »
I bought a Halo power bank for Mrs GreyWoolfe from QVC.  Yeah, I know.  She liked it and wanted it.  With it being on sale and saving $15 for being new to QVC, it was only $23.  Worth it if it works as it should and makes her happy.  Happy wife, happy life.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9046 on: December 01, 2019, 03:37:36 pm »
My MiniAmp v2 board arrived from JLCPCB today. I have fixed some layout problem and the power down pop, added a headphone jack, and upgraded the onboard DC-DC converter. This is also my first board using primarily 0805 SMT passives. (my other projects uses 0603.)

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
« Reply #9047 on: December 01, 2019, 04:28:39 pm »
MX Keys keyboard and MX Master 3 mouse.
I needed something to switch easily between computers, but without the BT headache. So I got 2 unifying receivers for two devices and it's just a button press, independently for both devices (also one of the constraints I had). The thing is I bring work home, and company policies are pretty restrictive, but this is just plug and play. and I can work with two computers at the same time.
Although I was skeptical about the keyboard, after a short use I find the experience great. Minus is that it's partially customizable and settings not stored on board. Mouse looked great on the first touch, but somehow it has a strange center of mass, so far hadn't got used to it, definitely not a choice for games. A lot better cheaper options for that. OTOH pretty customizable for the mouse. Materials great on both devices...
The extra space on the bench and no wires make it worth.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9048 on: December 01, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »
VGA. In 2019?

;)

LOL.

When you're trying to resurrect a vintage laptop with a b0rken display, it is inescapable.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9049 on: December 01, 2019, 05:19:21 pm »
MX Keys keyboard and MX Master 3 mouse.
I needed something to switch easily between computers, but without the BT headache. So I got 2 unifying receivers for two devices and it's just a button press, independently for both devices (also one of the constraints I had). The thing is I bring work home, and company policies are pretty restrictive, but this is just plug and play. and I can work with two computers at the same time.
Although I was skeptical about the keyboard, after a short use I find the experience great. Minus is that it's partially customizable and settings not stored on board. Mouse looked great on the first touch, but somehow it has a strange center of mass, so far hadn't got used to it, definitely not a choice for games. A lot better cheaper options for that. OTOH pretty customizable for the mouse. Materials great on both devices...
The extra space on the bench and no wires make it worth.
I have a similar set here: a K375s and a M720. Both devices came with a Unifying dongle each for two of my devices, and I bought a third dongle for the third channel. (Both K375s and M720 are three-channel devices, and my Dell P2415Q monitor has three inputs, so this means I get effectively a three-way KVM using just one set of keyboard, mouse and monitor.)

LOL.

When you're trying to resurrect a vintage laptop with a b0rken display, it is inescapable.
All I have is a VGA to HDMI adapter...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf