Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2790913 times)

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9200 on: January 08, 2020, 01:09:51 pm »
got myself a Voltech PM100 (1-phase power analyzes) from 1999, last calibration Feb 2008 for a very sweet price. Now need to start playing with it. Yesterday evening I enjoyed 2 videos from Dave on the repair of PM300 (3-phase). Should be some fun.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9201 on: January 08, 2020, 08:31:17 pm »
Ordered a few bits and bobs from the local store to repair the amplifier of a subwoofer I have. At the same time, I couldn't resist grabbing five Matsushita 22F/2.3V capacitors...

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9202 on: January 10, 2020, 07:00:48 am »
BTW, f*ck Dell. I just ordered two Dell U2419, one was exchanged right away for a bad pixel, the other exhibited flickering and distortion after a week of use and was refunded.
The exchange unit for the bad pixel one showed bad back light two weeks later.
So, three bad units for two purchases. That's really bad QC. Even less acceptable considering it was 2x the price of a comparable Philips unit.

Why it doesn't surprise me. They have one of the best office/industrial designs and their Ultrasharp Series when you get a good one are incomparable with the rest in terms or price/performance. The problem is the QC, it was always the QC. That's one of the things than Dell never was able to make it better, and I've been working with them since the 2000s.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9203 on: January 10, 2020, 08:05:24 am »
Picked up this vintage Fluke HV probe for €15, supposedly working. For those occassions where there's a k before the V.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #9204 on: January 10, 2020, 08:35:43 am »
Picked up this vintage Fluke HV probe for €15, supposedly working. For those occassions where there's a k before the V.

McBryce.

cleain it well, and then clean it well again and then clean it everytime before use.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9205 on: January 10, 2020, 09:09:15 am »
I'm aware of that. But I won't be quite getting to the 40kV it can handle. It's mainly for small CRT work, which rarely goes above 20kV.

McBryce. 

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9206 on: January 10, 2020, 09:13:25 am »

McBryce.

Which Fluke probe series is that ? Curious as it has the exposed metal at the end.

Mine model 80K-40 (40 kV) has all plastic body.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9207 on: January 10, 2020, 09:17:00 am »
It's the vintage version of your 80K-40. The seller just connected a standard BNC cable to the end of it for the picture. I will be making changes to that area anyway.

McBryce.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9208 on: January 10, 2020, 09:48:22 am »
I have that very same HV probe, I’m pretty sure that it’s not a Fluke. I think last time I researched mine it seemed to be a Heathkit one. That is not a BNC connector either, it’s an ’old school’ threaded single pole connector.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9209 on: January 10, 2020, 10:18:32 am »
Ah, good to know. I couldn't find much info on it, other than a site saying that it was a vintage Fluke. For €15 I didn't really care, it will be 10 times better than the "solution" I currently use (don't ask).

McBryce.

Edit: A quick google and it seems to be a Heathkit 336, documentation here: https://www.vintage-radio.info/heathkit/ It'll do up to 30kV which is more than what I need.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:35:29 am by McBryce »

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9210 on: January 10, 2020, 01:12:27 pm »
You’ll find the resistor inside is a piece of art, unscrew the connector and it all comes apart. 😊
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9211 on: January 10, 2020, 01:14:51 pm »
You’ll find the resistor inside is a piece of art, unscrew the connector and it all comes apart. 😊

Yup, I saw that in the documents and a YouTube video. And of course strip down anything that I intend being between me a 30kV!!

McBryce.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9212 on: January 11, 2020, 03:58:50 pm »
 - Rotring 600 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil and Rotring 600 Ballpoint (Christmas Presents sent from Portugal to here);

- BRAINWAVZ Hybrid Round Memory Foam Earpads - I had to change the original earpads on my AKG K845BT, they were basically disintegrating and ripping apart. My friend who have more headphones than a recording studio recommended this ones as the OEM replacement for most of the brands. So far so good, with leather outside (faux of course) and suede on the contact with the ears, plus a stiffer memory foam insert (the originals were all faux leather and no perforation in the inside walls).

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9213 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:54 pm »
- Rotring 600 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil

I have one too, but in 0.35mm. Love it.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9214 on: January 11, 2020, 04:15:28 pm »
- Rotring 600 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil

I have one too, but in 0.35mm. Love it.

Now I have the Pentel Graphgear 1000 0.5mm and this one. In terms of looks, this one in all matte black and with a red line kicks the Pentel from the park in terms of aesthetics.

Although I see this one losing the colour sooner than the Pentel Graphgear 1000. In terms of construction, well both are Made In Japan, although the first Rotring 600 were German Made and fetch a pretty penny in eBay.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:42:39 pm by Black Phoenix »

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9215 on: January 11, 2020, 05:28:46 pm »
Yeah, my 600 is also all black with red lettering. Classy. If I'm not mistaken, the 0.35mm version can be found only in Japan. I had bought it from a japanese store.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9216 on: January 11, 2020, 07:32:20 pm »
0.35mm rotring pencil was my thing during my studies. Haven't touched one since then (15 years ago), TBH I barely write at all since, for a while after the only thing I wrote was addresses on parcels my company was shipping, not doing that anymore so it amounts to almost nothing apart from signatures.
Last week I actually wrote 6 lines or so of additional explanation on an RMA sheet and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the longest paragraph I handwrote in more than a decade...

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9217 on: January 11, 2020, 11:20:42 pm »
Another angle grinder. That makes four, all the same. Bosch GWS 7-125. They are cheap (used to be AU $75, now $85) and having several means less farting around changing disks for different stages of the same job.

The molded carry case has a lot of internal structures intended to hold just this grinder, cord and accessories. Which make the case useless for anything else. I never use them, and in the past have always thrown out the cases immediately, as they are a waste of space.

This time, mounting a new 'all materials' thin cutting disk on the grinder I thought hey, of course it cuts plastic too. Actually all types of disk cut plastic, or rather melt it way, but I hadn't previously thought of applying the grinder to it's own carry case.
Anyway, all the case's stupid internal moldings were easily cut away. Now I have a generally useful small tools carry case. For free.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: RoGeorge

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9218 on: January 11, 2020, 11:36:04 pm »
About mechanical pencils...

One day, browsing the web, I start wondering around photos of mechanical pencils and had a stupid idea. Draw a few that I liked and decided that I had to have them. Well... gathered a few dozens by now.

907562-0

The latest most significant addition to my collection was to grab this 2 out of production Ohto Super Promecha 1000S and 1500S

907566-1

I use a Rotring 600 0.5mm often. At home regularly a Zebra Tect2way MA41 0.5mm, but the most used ones, at work and home workbench are Pentel GraphGear 500 of several sizes, 0.5, 0.3 and 0.7 (0.4 and 0.9 not so much). This are my favourite cheap mechanical pencils.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:47:03 pm by Mortymore »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9219 on: January 11, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »
- Rotring 600 0.5mm Mechanical Pencil and Rotring 600 Ballpoint (Christmas Presents sent from Portugal to here);

- BRAINWAVZ Hybrid Round Memory Foam Earpads - I had to change the original earpads on my AKG K845BT, they were basically disintegrating and ripping apart. My friend who have more headphones than a recording studio recommended this ones as the OEM replacement for most of the brands. So far so good, with leather outside (faux of course) and suede on the contact with the ears, plus a stiffer memory foam insert (the originals were all faux leather and no perforation in the inside walls).

Waiting on a 0.9mm Graphgear 1000 (in transit) to add to my 0.5mm one I already have. The 0.5mm doesn't stand up to the woodworking I do but I love the form and retractable tip.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #9220 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:42 pm »
Last bought:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9221 on: January 12, 2020, 02:15:13 am »
it will do the job shame I have to look at it. Maybe Black Texta on the bag and a coat of paint to hide the Calf Crap Colours .....
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9222 on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:43 am »
Waiting on a 0.9mm Graphgear 1000 (in transit) to add to my 0.5mm one I already have. The 0.5mm doesn't stand up to the woodworking I do but I love the form and retractable tip.

For woodworking you will better with a lead holder instead of a mechanical pencil:

https://www.jetpens.com/Staedtler-925-25-Silver-Series-Lead-Holder-2-mm/pd/4704

From 2mm to 3.2mm lead holders.

The latest most significant addition to my collection was to grab this 2 out of production Ohto Super Promecha 1000S and 1500S
(Attachment Link)

What is your opinion about that Ohto Super Promecha, they look like they also have lead rotation like the Uni Kuru Toga right? Don't know that brand to be sincere.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 04:31:20 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9223 on: January 12, 2020, 04:31:55 am »
I don't do a lot with rough sawn timber and if I do Carpenters pencils get it done.

Today's 40mm triple stack of MDF for a workbench. Number of clamps available is never up to the job at hand #ruleofwoodworking I used the 0.5 for this mark out but broke the lead several times. Just done up the clamps.

Should be weeding and gardening but NOPE  ;)

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #9224 on: January 12, 2020, 07:30:47 am »
Last bought:

does anyone know where I can buy only the box of this ? I would like to implement in it some electronic measuring stuff I build.
I can't find any empty box like these tweezers. thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf