Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1350113 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9300 on: October 18, 2019, 11:41:26 am »
Added to my Makita collection because Evilbay offered my a decent discount and it will pay for itself over the next few months instead of paying someone else for a CNC enclosure build.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

Online rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9301 on: October 18, 2019, 02:03:31 pm »
I got home from work and my new to me EBay Rigol DS1052e was waiting for me.  Fired it up amd it appears to be doing what it says on the box.  Now to learn how to use it.
These Rigols are a joy to use. I really liked mine (sold a few years ago).
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #9302 on: October 18, 2019, 08:34:55 pm »
Got my self an oscilloscope, a SDS1104X-E.   :-+

I could have gotten it today, it arrived in my city to some sorting center this morning but apparently you can't move it 10km in day so I'll have to until monday. Bloody DB schenker. |O

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9303 on: October 19, 2019, 01:19:54 am »
Not exactly TE, but I bought a new iPhone Xr 64GB for $300.  I'm excited to not have business calls coming in on my personal phone anymore!

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9304 on: October 19, 2019, 03:26:59 am »
A few thousands of 0201 passives. I hope I know what I'm doing, and from my 2012 experience with them, they are not easy to solder. Well, my eyes are 7 years older since then.
Bodging them would be even more challenging -- I should have found the problem during schematic audition |O.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #9305 on: October 19, 2019, 03:55:00 am »
A few thousands of 0201 passives. I hope I know what I'm doing, and from my 2012 experience with them, they are not easy to solder. Well, my eyes are 7 years older since then.
Bodging them would be even more challenging -- I should have found the problem during schematic audition |O.
Don't you use an oven for that?  You hand-solder 0201's?

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9306 on: October 19, 2019, 04:40:50 am »
Don't you use an oven for that?  You hand-solder 0201's?

Of course I will go down the stencil+paste path.
But I don't have a PnP! Soldering them is not hard, placing them is.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9307 on: October 19, 2019, 07:42:40 am »
A very nice oscilloscope with very good bang for buck!   :-+

(I got one as a second unit and to take it with me because it's also small and lightweight but I happen to use it more often than my primary oscilloscope.)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9308 on: October 19, 2019, 07:46:26 am »
Ordered an HP 438A dual channel power meter today for 40€; Labeled as "for parts" but in fact only showing that no sensor is connected..   :)

Don't ask for the shipping!  :scared:   :palm:

Oh, and I bought my second power sensor cable also. In fact, I bought it first and then my brain concluded I had to buy a power meter with two channels..   :-DD
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:34:52 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #9309 on: October 19, 2019, 12:27:02 pm »
A very nice oscilloscope with very good bang for buck!   :-+

(I got one as a second unit and to take it with me because it's also small and lightweight but I happen to use it more often than my primary oscilloscope.)

Yeah especially when you can hack it to 200MHz. :)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9310 on: October 19, 2019, 12:43:50 pm »
Just a couple of bits and pieces....  :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>?
« Reply #9311 on: October 19, 2019, 12:47:01 pm »
Another NanoVNA. Shown with case off.

857486-0

857490-1
I am a Test Equipment Addict (TEA) - by virtue of this forum signature, I have now faced my addiction

Offline shakalnokturn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9312 on: October 20, 2019, 10:56:57 pm »
Another NanoVNA. Shown with case off.

How long do those Lipo's last?
"Last" as in before bulging, not as in before discharging?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9313 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:11 pm »
I accidentally bought a Keysight 1253B. Always make sure you've eaten and slept before ebaying.

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9314 on: October 22, 2019, 12:22:34 am »
Well, my $550 Deckel CNC from back in 2017 is finally fully fixed and rebuild to about factory specifications and nearly back in operation. ;D ;D ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1298855/#msg1298855

Should be capable of 3D milling and has universal table fitted, with a 0.001° DRO fitted in the rotation axis.

Never mind the trigger stick, that picture was a bit tricky, with all the mess on the floor ;-)

Price  back in 1986 was about $150'000, btw, so I paid about 0.4% original price, even better than most old test gear nowadays. Or about $0.4/kg. Rebuild was a lot of work and not exactly cheap, though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 12:40:44 am by MadTux »

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9315 on: October 22, 2019, 06:50:57 am »
Nice! Yeah with CNC and other machinery the biggest and heaviest and best gear is usually cheap since little hobbieists have the room or the tens of kW sockets to connect them  :)
Great for those who have the room and power to run it and a spouse who allows it.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9316 on: October 22, 2019, 07:14:25 am »
My dream in terms of CNC Machining:

VARIAXIS 630-5X II T 5-Axis

Quite impossible to have it at home, 3 Phase with at least a Power Requirement of 82.2 kVA. I installed back in 2007 2 of these in a Plastic Moulding manifold manufacturing plant in Portugal and this machine is a beast. 5 Axis simultaneous machining via EIA/ISO Programming (CAD/CAM), 3 axis simultaneous via the Mazatrol easy programming directly on the machine controller or application installed on a PC.

The new ones are way more powerful and modern that this one, but this one was the most expensive one that I gone from the ordering to the delivery, installing and testing. All the process were coordinated by me to the customer, so it kept a soft spot on my heart.

If I had the money and the space and nothing more to worry, I would buy one of these. Yes totally overly overkill, totally, but a pleasure to see working in 5 axis simultaneous

Sorry about the tacky music, all Yamazaki Mazak Promotional Videos had this bad kind of musics. I always told the Japanese that they should put a more soft and mundane music and keep only the machining sounds, but they never listen, not when I was only the worker from a Distributor not a Main Branch like UK or the US.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:22:17 am by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9317 on: October 22, 2019, 07:19:13 am »
The more CNC based gear you have the more you realize you NEED. Ask me how I know  :palm:

I have been making a 'small' list of Router bits I 'need' for my 2.2kW router  :o At least the router was fairly cheap.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9318 on: October 22, 2019, 07:30:13 am »
Yes, cheap is something they weren't: The 2 of them, plus 2x 24 Tool Magazines that you would connect to the back, plus extra 2 work tables, plus options could buy you a Bugatti Veyron and still have money for some tyre replacements and maintenance cost plus some full tanks of gasoline...

You had to have work to pay them, a lot of work, and Yudo Inc. Plastics had.

The cheapest lathe that we had, the QTN200 2 Axes simple without any options, the basics of basics were around EU€50,000
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:39:56 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9319 on: October 22, 2019, 07:39:27 am »
The more CNC based gear you have the more you realize you NEED. Ask me how I know  :palm:

Doesn't work for me. I always get rid of the old one before the new one. I got rid of my Carbide 3D in favor of Bantam.
I got rid of my Cetus for Anycubic, and I got rid of the Anycubic as I don't think I need a 3D printer at all (laser+mill is more than I need).
The same goes for laser. CNC+diode replaced with CNC+fiber, then I felt it's way too OP and I don't need it, so I replaced with a toy (Cubiio) laser.
The same goes for scopes and other tools. I don't even collect DMMs. I only have one per category (bench, high CAT, insulation, pocket).
Same for computers. I keep only one workstation and one portable (plus one PXI).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9320 on: October 22, 2019, 07:49:25 am »
Like with all gear easy access to the services for $ I factor in before buying and also what an expected payback time will be. I regard my 3D printers as paid for in jobs done for $. The first toy CNC that proceeded it was a learning experience but largely a step I should have maybe avoided (cheap Ali Express 3020). The Laser cutter is well on the way to payback and the larger CNC Router is still a WIP. Locally (within 3 hours drive) no one offers this sort of service.

Locally we have good metalworking and welding options from basic to Water, Plasma and Laser along with CNC Mills and Lathes if needed and paying some $ for those guys is far better for my mix than keeping the gear myself even though I am an OK welder. Part of why this works is I have been working on some CAD skills which was always the costly part for one offs done by others in the past.

Buying a 30-100k+ Mill would be nice but I can buy a heap of time on someone elses if needed.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9321 on: October 22, 2019, 08:05:29 am »
Well, my $550 Deckel CNC from back in 2017 is finally fully fixed and rebuild to about factory specifications and nearly back in operation. ;D ;D ;D
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg1298855/#msg1298855

Should be capable of 3D milling and has universal table fitted, with a 0.001° DRO fitted in the rotation axis.

Never mind the trigger stick, that picture was a bit tricky, with all the mess on the floor ;-)

Price  back in 1986 was about $150'000, btw, so I paid about 0.4% original price, even better than most old test gear nowadays. Or about $0.4/kg. Rebuild was a lot of work and not exactly cheap, though.

Top marks for the redneck selfie-stick! :D

McBryce.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9322 on: October 22, 2019, 10:15:48 am »
Two pieces of equipment turned-up yesterday:

Another F' ed-up arc welder: A Gys Spark 130.

Unbelievable how badly designed these things are: The control PCB is attached to the power IMS through tin soldered binding posts that also serve as electrical interconnect for the high currents.
Users bashing the welder around carelessly will tear the binding posts off the IMS, on this one the IMS is a complete wreck, I've phoned Gys who do replace them (themselves only) but won't sell me a spare. This is going to be quite challenging to repair.

A Metrix MX52 DMM, 35€ posted. Sold as untested.
Sure, when you can't read the display you can't really test the rest...

LCD display on initial test.
Not really readable.

Looking for battery corrosion under the foam.
Luckily this one is clean.

Checking rotary switch contacts with the endo-cam.
The early models were known for loosing the contact fingers.
One side...

And the other side, they are all in place.
They'll get a good spraying, just because a good spraying feels good.

Cleaning ze zebras.
Spraying the interconnect between main and display PCB with contact cleaner eases disassembly.

Re-checking the LCD.

Quick calibration check and readjustment where possible.
There is no easy adjustment for the Amps, needs to be tweaked by swapping resistors.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #9323 on: October 22, 2019, 10:50:17 am »
Doesn't work for me. I always get rid of the old one before the new one. I got rid of my Carbide 3D in favor of Bantam.

Why did you change? I have a Nomad 883, and I like it.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Online dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #9324 on: October 22, 2019, 10:59:33 am »
Furthering my solar install by taking 24-7 loads off grid:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf