Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1350115 times)

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9325 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:56 pm »
Doesn't work for me. I always get rid of the old one before the new one. I got rid of my Carbide 3D in favor of Bantam.

Why did you change? I have a Nomad 883, and I like it.

Moving. Can't carry such a huge machine with me.

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #9326 on: October 22, 2019, 07:46:06 pm »
Right, it is smaller, but the work area is smaller, too. Sometimes I wish the work area of my machine is bigger, like the Shapeoko, but I wouldn't have much room for it. But looks like the Bantam is perfect for small PCBs.
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9327 on: October 24, 2019, 04:30:00 am »
After spending time and money with chinese junk I decided to buy some real good quality 0.5mm 63/37 solder wire from a local company. What a difference! Worth every penny and this roll should last for ever for my needs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 04:33:13 am by Microcheap »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, Teti

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9328 on: October 24, 2019, 04:39:27 am »
Right, it is smaller, but the work area is smaller, too. Sometimes I wish the work area of my machine is bigger, like the Shapeoko, but I wouldn't have much room for it. But looks like the Bantam is perfect for small PCBs.

Well, I build small stuff like PCB jigs or spacers. If I need to make a casing, I will consider building with multiple panels instead of unibody.
And heck, I'm moving to China, where manufacturing resource is more than demand. I can easily get a large piece of part machined for less than $200.
I only need a small CNC for use in a pinch, or when I need high precision that only high end machines (not my case) or tight human-machine interaction (my case) can work.
I can't expect shops doing $200 commodity CNC jobs to have a DMG Mori, and neither can I expect them to have the patience and devotion. But for cases, I don't care 1 thou or 2 of error.

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9329 on: October 24, 2019, 06:56:52 am »
My JLCPCB order has arrived. The vias are good despite rules are violated. JLCPCB indeed can do true 0.1mm designs.

Some vias are nerfed, but I'm okay with that as long as it conducts. It seems like they are okay with 0.1mm spacing between vias and tracks, but vias and planes require 0.125mm.
After all it is not military or industrial or medical. It's just for education and consumer.
Routing is better than last time. This time I had 0.3mm peel back, and routing didn't cut into copper. Last time it cut despite 0.5mm peel back.
But this time it is 4L service, last time it was 2L, so standard could be different.
Solder mask is perfect, comparable to my $200 WellPCB order.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
    • Matthias' Hackerst├╝bchen
« Reply #9330 on: October 24, 2019, 09:04:17 am »
Yes, 4L has different capabilities and allows tighter constraints than 2L.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9331 on: October 24, 2019, 09:47:31 am »
After spending time and money with chinese junk I decided to buy some real good quality 0.5mm 63/37 solder wire from a local company. What a difference! Worth every penny and this roll should last for ever for my needs.
Yep. I do not understand why people waste their time with Chinese solder. Even "expensive" solder is still cheap, when you consider how little of it you use in a project. I doubt if I've spent much more than $100 on solder in my whole lifetime, and I still have most of it!

Offline Teti

• Contributor
« Reply #9332 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:34 pm »

Now you got me intrigued, I might do the same. yeah, cheap Chinese solder wires are not the best for the serious stuff. :-+

Offline deadlylover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9333 on: October 25, 2019, 12:33:29 am »
Now you got me intrigued, I might do the same. yeah, cheap Chinese solder wires are not the best for the serious stuff. :-+

Never cheap out on solder wick and flux too!, speaking of which...

Bit of a tool haul from China, the wick was only a couple bucks and I was expecting it to be fake but I think it's the real deal.  ^-^

I also ordered some connector pliers from Japan, the KTC AD101. I'm just sick and tired of busting my fingers unplugging connectors that haven't been touched for 25 years, so I'm hoping this tool works well. It's like 80 dollarydoos so not a cheap one!
I've been getting by using normal needlenose pliers and slipping in a screwdriver to undo the "locks" but sometimes when you're upside down head first in a footwell trying to unplug the blower fan on an air-conditioning unit in a 1993 Toyota Supra because the heater core is leaking...yeah...I'll gladly pay $1000 for some damn pliers that work.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9334 on: October 25, 2019, 12:48:55 am »
I usually buy a 10 pack of mg chem wick for $35. Works well and not expensive.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9335 on: October 25, 2019, 07:10:50 am »

Bit of a tool haul from China, the wick was only a couple bucks and I was expecting it to be fake but I think it's the real deal.  ^-^

I also ordered some connector pliers from Japan, the KTC AD101. I'm just sick and tired of busting my fingers unplugging connectors that haven't been touched for 25 years, so I'm hoping this tool works well. It's like 80 dollarydoos so not a cheap one!
I've been getting by using normal needlenose pliers and slipping in a screwdriver to undo the "locks" but sometimes when you're upside down head first in a footwell trying to unplug the blower fan on an air-conditioning unit in a 1993 Toyota Supra because the heater core is leaking...yeah...I'll gladly pay $1000 for some damn pliers that work.

:o     :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #9336 on: October 25, 2019, 07:38:08 am »
Finally, my own spectrum analyzer... got it really cheap, works :)
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9337 on: October 25, 2019, 08:21:00 am »
Finally, my own spectrum analyzer... got it really cheap, works :)
(Attachment Link)

Nice 1 buddy! Looks like a beauty  :-+

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9338 on: October 25, 2019, 04:16:44 pm »
Built my nixie tube audio spectrum analyzer kit: https://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=nixielyzer
Had backed on Kickstarter and it arrived last week.

Looks awesome :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:20:36 pm by Kilrah »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, tooki, SiliconWizard

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #9339 on: October 25, 2019, 05:56:42 pm »

Those self locking pliers are a joy to use, got a pair at work and love em. :-+

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #9340 on: October 25, 2019, 05:59:38 pm »
Got the scope up and running. 861154-0

Online Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9341 on: October 25, 2019, 07:14:29 pm »
HP 8568B !

Traded time for a spectrum analyzer in very good shape.

Was also surprised my HP209A Oscillator had such clean output.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, Fluke 181, uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP8568B

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9342 on: October 25, 2019, 10:29:27 pm »
Built my nixie tube audio spectrum analyzer kit: https://www.nixiekits.eu/product.php?key=nixielyzer
Had backed on Kickstarter and it arrived last week.

Looks awesome :)

(Attachment Link)

Now that is cool buddy! Real nice!  :-+

Offline johnh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9343 on: October 26, 2019, 06:37:22 am »
Bought a new Goot solder sucker from Jaycar to replace the old one that died.

The circular lock ring had been broken for while, but it was still working fine.
Then something came loose as I was depressing the plunger and pinged across room, never found it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9344 on: October 26, 2019, 07:30:26 am »
Then something came loose as I was depressing the plunger and pinged across room, never found it.
Yes the E clip breaks from the continual pounding when you press the release button.
When mine broke I didn't have an E clip of the right size so I just twisted some 1.6mm soft steel wire into the groove and it's still there many years later.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9345 on: October 27, 2019, 07:56:53 pm »

It looks like a nice meter at first. But trying to work out where 12v is on the scale gets annoying fast.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9346 on: October 27, 2019, 08:01:17 pm »

It looks like a nice meter at first. But trying to work out where 12v is on the scale gets annoying fast.

Yeah, that 15V scale isn't exactly 'user friendly', is it?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9347 on: October 27, 2019, 08:34:47 pm »

Open it up and make a red mark at the 12V point. I did that with my first analogue meter, way back when. It made life a lot easier.

McBryce.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9348 on: October 27, 2019, 08:36:22 pm »

Yeah, that 15V scale isn't exactly 'user friendly', is it?

-Pat
It's distracting. I can't think of any simple way I could mess with it to make it better. Reprint the scale maybe?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9349 on: October 27, 2019, 08:39:36 pm »

Open it up and make a red mark at the 12V point. I did that with my first analogue meter, way back when. It made life a lot easier.

McBryce.

I thought about that. But it just seems criminal to vandalize an otherwise fine-looking meter.

And there's no screws so it's not easy to open, either. Well, anything is easy to open...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf