Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2742975 times)

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9475 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
Got myself this wee gadget, cause I "need" it of course!  ;D

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9476 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
Laser measuring with a built-in camera.  Very cool.  Let us know how you like it.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #9477 on: March 29, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »
I have a Leica d510 laser range meter with the same camera feature : it's really great !

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9478 on: March 30, 2020, 01:01:45 am »
I use Huepar lasers almost exclusively for work and, in my opinion, they are definitely the best bang-for-buck on the market right now.   :-+

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #9479 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:51 am »
A small toy just received costs about $80
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Mortymore

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9480 on: April 01, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
40m of 2020 and 10m or 4020 T slot for the start of a 100W Laser build. Broke again......  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline spongella

• Contributor
« Reply #9481 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
Boonton 92AE RF millivoltmeter, complete with matched probes, for my test bench.  These were made in my home state of NJ.  Will be used for a few alignment projects - FRG-100 and Icom R7100.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #9482 on: April 02, 2020, 10:51:44 am »
Didn't "buy" anything, but paid $400 to get my tonsils out of my body after it gave me 8 years of chronic inflammation and lymph node pain, and costed me thousands of dollars on lymph node, liver, kidney and blood tests.

How do you feel after surgery?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9483 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:14 am »
My Six year old self still remembers the Icecream recovery diet after having mine taken out. As you are a bit older and recovery will take longer Gargle some Baijiu and add Icecream as needed  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9484 on: April 03, 2020, 07:35:40 am »
Quick 6101A1 fume extractor.

Since I added a room filter with an auto/sensor mode it's clear that y desktop smoke absorber isn't effective. Just five minutes of soldering with tacky flux and the room filter kicks into overdrive to clean the whole room.

I bought from Eleshop.eu who also made a great comparison page including video/audio of various brands/models at different settings https://eleshop.eu/knowledgebase/FAQsolderfumeextractors/

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline Marck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9485 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:34 am »
I had my tonsils out at 33.  I avoided too much pain through my Dr’s understanding that I had no interest in feeling any pain after the surgery.  I departed the hospital with a great big bag of the finest painkillers available to us mortals with a clear understanding that the drugs where to be administered by My wife and I was not to leave the couch.  I spent 10 days as a drooling potato living on iced tea mashed potato and gravy and ice cream. 

To be honest even after I came off the painkillers it was painful I would hate to think how painful it would have been if I was coherent

M

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9486 on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:13 am »
For DER DE 5000 owners :

I did some conversion to Kelvin probes at mine instruments a few years ago. The best thing I could do to this instrument :) . It is so much comfortable than that a crocodiles.

I've finished my 3D model for printing your own probe attachments for the DER DE 5000. You can find the files (and some pictures) here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2996692/#msg2996692

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, bitseeker, Mortymore

Offline Aviotronix

« Reply #9487 on: April 03, 2020, 03:07:09 pm »
Terry01, Seems to be a very wise purchase, what better way to make sure you are keeping the proper "social distance" from people during this time!

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9488 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:21 am »
Picked up a big ol' Dawn 6 inch vise, made in Australia!

I've been needing a vice for ages but I always go back and forth between buying quality used gear vs new cheap junk from the hardware store. I think I overpaid a little at 150 dollarydoos but it was local and I liked that it had the original paint on it...or what's left of it.  ^-^ Brand new is around $483 so not great not terrible all things considered. Spare parts are available too but it just needs a clean and lube.

Can't wait to clean it up and finally use my new (old) Atlas Copco air compressor from 1989, a mate gave me a 3M spray gun so this will be fun.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9489 on: April 04, 2020, 07:12:51 am »
Didn't "buy" anything, but paid $400 to get my tonsils out of my body after it gave me 8 years of chronic inflammation and lymph node pain, and costed me thousands of dollars on lymph node, liver, kidney and blood tests.

Here, I'd probably pay like €35 for the initial appointment, and the rest is more or less free. Oh, and I can hand the receipt in to work for the initial appointment, and I'm reimbursed.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9490 on: April 04, 2020, 01:45:41 pm »
Hand cart for lugging boxes and storage tubs and such around.  Handles 200 kg payload in the horizontal configuration, 100 kg in the vertical.  Cost me only 35€ including shipping.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9491 on: April 04, 2020, 03:03:40 pm »
AMD EPYC 7551P (C32T64) for a new lab server cost me $450.

The prices are falling anda 2nd hand availability is increasing for EPYC previous generation.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9492 on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:54 pm »
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle. So, a HuntKey S400 4U rackmount chassis, and a Thermaltake 120mm closed loop liquid CPU cooler.

Also I built a USB 2.0 switcher box, so I can switch back to my beloved Apple USB keyboard (pre-butterfly mechanism, the same thing on 2012 MacBook Pro and AFAIK 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro.) That thing is a bliss to type on.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:55:57 pm by technix »

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9493 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »
The MacMini is connected to a 8+2 GbE+10GbE hub with VLAN, and the link is VLAN tagged to two sub-links, Internet and Ethernet. The Ethernet VLAN is then untagged by the hub and distributed throughout the internal network.
This is similar to how I do things. I don't have 10GbE at all, so I use 802.3ad link aggregate as the substitute. I have a repurposed used cash register motherboard acting as my router, linked to my main switch over a 2-way aggregated trunk. My Internet comes in as PPPoEoV (PPP over Ethernet over VLAN) from the ISP, then enters my home network using a second VLAN. That is in my wiring closet. My lab and equipment rack is in a separate room with its own rack top switch, linked to the wiring closet with a 8-way link aggregate. In the rack lies my NAS with its 4-way aggregated link, my daily driver Hackintosh and my HPC workstation

The only bit of shame is that Windows don't support simultaneous VLAN (unless you use a vendor tool like Intel's NIC toolbox), so I'm stuck with simple connection to the hub. This is not a problem since I do have a server to handle unsafe traffics, but if I want to use my own laptop as a server, I would not be able to do that.
You may want to explore the Windows PowerShell a little. Windows 10 Pro have those features, but it is tucked away in Windows PowerShell. (My HPC Workstation uses Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, which have a few more features like ReFS.)

How much is the motherboard? And how many RAM (and what type of RAM) do you have on it? This is reminding me of when I bought the pair of Xeon E5-2680 (v1, C2 stepping, Sandy Bridge, 8C/16T each, 16C/32T total) a few years ago for just US$150.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:39:39 pm by technix »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9494 on: April 05, 2020, 06:00:56 am »

How much is the motherboard? And how many RAM (and what type of RAM) do you have on it? This is reminding me of when I bought the pair of Xeon E5-2680 (v1, C2 stepping, Sandy Bridge, 8C/16T each, 16C/32T total) a few years ago for just US$150.

Unfortunatelly, full price for EPYCD8-2T that supports both 7002/7001 series. The memory is 100$ each for 32GB RLDIMM 2666 , still half of 8 slots to fill.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9495 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:28 pm »

The MacMini is connected to a 8+2 GbE+10GbE hub with VLAN,

A. 10 Gig. Hub?  :o

That would be in violation of several IEEE standards. Don't you mean "switch?"

Here, I've got the next generation network under construction. Today, machineroom has a 7200VXR router, and a 4948 switch, all Cisco. Media cabinet has a 2960 24-port PoE switch; a similar but 10-port model sits in a linen closet upstairs. 5x 2702 access points supply wifi.

The next generation will swap 7200 and 4948 for a 4500-X router/switch, and replace one of the 2960s with a similar, but 10G-connected one. Just need to find out where I put those two 10G dual-port nics i bought, so file server (OpenAFS) and VM host (ESXI) can get connected.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9496 on: April 05, 2020, 07:37:18 pm »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle.
Meanwhile my 9900K is pinned folding all day at 98°C  :-DD

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:54:07 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9497 on: April 06, 2020, 03:09:40 am »
(Attachment Link)
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle.
Meanwhile my 9900K is pinned folding all day at 98°C  :-DD

(Attachment Link)

That's a good way of killing a CPU fast...

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9498 on: April 06, 2020, 09:19:33 am »
That's a good way of killing a CPU fast...
Tell that to my 6 and 10 year old builds that still aren't complaining....

It's within spec. No different than what a CPU has to bear in pretty much every performance laptop (and it's usually not the CPU dying first on those).

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9499 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:05 pm »
It's within spec. No different than what a CPU has to bear in pretty much every performance laptop (and it's usually not the CPU dying first on those).

It's probably fine for at least the 3 year warranty, you can always get the $20 Intel insurance if you're worried they will give you trouble for overclocking it (on a technicality most motherboards overclock by default and Intel may try and swindle you).

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing the CPU is throttling not to mention the fan noise and power consumption. I'd just lower clock speeds by like 5% for the peace of mind.  :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf