Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2782227 times)

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9675 on: June 11, 2020, 07:11:12 am »
Today I bought this dirt cheap (72.90€ incl. shipping) MAG-450 RF Signal Generator, one of the many clones of the more usual TSG-17:

I know it is quite crappy but I need it to align the IF of a late fifties Grundig K2 AM/SW receiver (known as the "Majestic" in the U.S.A). I'm not wasting more in a better gen for just a single use. I think I'll have some fun modding it to make it less crappy, 'though I've not yet found a schematic for this beast. Anyone?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:20:37 am by Calambres »

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9676 on: June 11, 2020, 11:16:20 am »
Bought a while back but used for the first time today.... worked first time and even communicates with Win10 and my dodgy USB Serial adapter

Burn baby burn

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9677 on: June 11, 2020, 03:05:20 pm »

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

They don't do video editing SW? Too bad.
Not yet, at least. They do offer tight integration of their existing suite, so it wouldn't surprise me if they extended their portfolio later on.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9678 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:20 pm »
Bought a while back but used for the first time today.... worked first time and even communicates with Win10 and my dodgy USB Serial adapter

Burn baby burn

dam that is is seriously old school - most old burners used parallel because serial was too slow, is yours serial?

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9679 on: June 11, 2020, 11:30:55 pm »
Like the 1983 calibration sticker. Not sure what they would calibrate though, write voltage?  :-//
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9680 on: June 11, 2020, 11:42:01 pm »
dam that is is seriously old school - most old burners used parallel because serial was too slow, is yours serial?
Interesting... I started burning EPROM's around 1980 (2716's and the like). On a 9600 baud connection the full 16K would download in under 15 seconds, considered acceptable in those days. Actually burning took a bit longer. {grin} Can't say I've ever seen a parallel interface EPROM programmer, though I'm sure they existed.

Ever used a National Semi Starplex development system? It was their answer to Intel's MDS "blue box". On the right side of the console there was a big square area where you could insert an EPROM programming module. Had a nice lever-operated ZIF socket and everything. I started using one of those in about 1981. The cool part, for me, was that at my next job I was the only guy who knew how to use a Starplex - somehow National had convinced that employer to buy one - which meant I basically had a whole development system to myself and didn't have to jockey for access to one of the very few, very expensive Intel MDS's in the lab. I had a dedicated development system, emulator, and EPROM programmer all to myself.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna, djos

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9681 on: June 12, 2020, 01:43:28 am »
Beautiful!
 I hope it gives you many years of service.

a tek465 ,it cost 35$.very pretty  ^-^
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9682 on: June 12, 2020, 01:36:46 pm »
Today, the two 2.8" 240x320 IPS display modules I ordered from BuyDisplay almost three months ago, arrived.  (ER-TFT028A2-4 modules made by EastRising.  The documentation seems quite thorough, which is not always the case when buying these display modules from eBay etc.)

It sat a month and a half at Senzhen Processing Center, then almost a month at the Senzhen Interchange Bureau before being delivered to the airline.  After two weeks, it arrived in Finland, and on the third day plopped into my mailbox.

BuyDisplay does now warn that "We temporarily canceled the shipment service of ePacket, EMS, China Post because overbooked. Only DHL or FedEx is available now. Our ebay store still keeps the economy shipping." though.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9683 on: June 13, 2020, 02:50:56 am »
An old Anayak FV-2V Mill.

Not electronics, but a nice price.  Achieving a long term ambition to own something like this.
Still have to move it, so all current projects are dropped till that is done.
The actual moving is fairly easy, but making a space for it here first is more difficult. It's HUGE.

This was totally unexpected. A result of a casual conversation while buying a small tube of rubber glue, related to repair of that pressure regulator for the spot welder.

Incidentally, if anyone in Sydney needs a giant flywheel punch, or a huge surface grinding machine, or an enormous hydraulic press, all for stupid cheap prices, let me know. The factory that sold me the Mill is also disposing of those. But you'd have to arrange your own transport.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, thm_w, Cubdriver, NivagSwerdna, Nominal Animal, duckduck

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #9684 on: June 13, 2020, 02:56:30 am »
An old Anayak FV-2V Mill.

Oh wow. Uh, does it actually function?  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9685 on: June 13, 2020, 03:57:04 am »
Oh wow. Uh, does it actually function?  :popcorn:

Yes. Minor problems, including a bad bearing in the head (for which a new replacement came with it.)
Also came with it: a Sony LH51 3-axis digital readout and sensors. Works but needs cleaning.

This Mill was generally used by the previous owner to machine fiberglass blocks. So all the visible dust is fiberglass powder. Vacuuming that off and disposing of it will be chore #1.  I already discovered what happens when you get that stuff on your hands.

Getting this Mill set up is now on top of _another_ recent unplanned acquisition. A Hendey lathe, possibly built around 1895. Which I did not need (already have a much bigger and better lathe), but the Hendey was free, and if I didn't take it, it would have been scrapped. Deceased estate, house being sold, lathe too difficult (for others) to move out of a rear shed. Not yet sure if I'll sell it or what.  This (in its original home):

Anyway, it's all good. Forcing me to evict a pile of antique computing gear from my 'still under construction' workshop space. Which had totally wedged that build project. They are going to alternative storage spaces elsewhere, and so my workshop build project is resuscitated.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:59:07 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9686 on: June 16, 2020, 01:28:16 pm »
I seem to be adding to my device programmer collection.... I have high hopes for this one if I can find some s/w to drive it..

1003860-0

If I can get it to work it might end up being the only programmer I need.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9687 on: June 16, 2020, 09:38:44 pm »
I seem to be adding to my device programmer collection.... I have high hopes for this one if I can find some s/w to drive it..

(Attachment Link)

If I can get it to work it might end up being the only programmer I need.
You can still download it on the bp website but if it has a parallel port like my bp-1600 then you can only run the latest version for windows XP, believe v5.33 since the windows versions after that do not support the lpt port anymore and the software requires the newer version programmer with usb port.
You can also go for the dosversion, latest was 3.71.

The programmer is very nice but the drawback is that you need a special adapter for each unique parthousing and those adapters are ludicrous expensive.
A simple coversion pcb such as with the chinese programmers will not work.
Each adapter has data address decoders en switches on it and a unique i2c eeprom that identifies the adapter to the programmer.
I still hope someone will provide the i2c rom codes and gerbers for the pcb for this someday.

Four years ago the source for the software was the following, not sure if it is still operational:

Ftp site: ftp://ftp.bpmicro.com/Dnload/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 09:43:54 pm by Kjelt »

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9688 on: June 17, 2020, 01:47:34 am »
I have brought a few of these over the last six months for various jobs. This 24V 10A Din Rail model has gone EOL but they are a steal if you are in Oz eBay auction: #202234366773 for $40 delivered. I have an appropriate level so have at the rest you mob.

Should give negative Feedback for the Peanut Packaging too >:D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9689 on: June 17, 2020, 08:23:26 am »
This 24V 10A Din Rail model has gone EOL but they are a steal
Not bad if they were new original price: €50
But these are used.
I bought some MW second hand 240W 24V lately used in a led project for two years for €10 a piece, but not din rail.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9690 on: June 17, 2020, 08:25:44 am »
Took advantage of the sale on PB Swiss items at the big Swiss tool dealer to get the ratcheting handle I've been wanting for ages, a set of bits, a set of precision Torx drivers, and a scribe.

PB 8510 R-30 ratcheting screwdriver handle:
(Attachment Link)

E6 985 bit set:
(Attachment Link)

PB 8643 precision Torx driver set:
(Attachment Link)

PB 704 carbide scribe:
(Attachment Link)

I also got a Mitutoyo vernier caliper, also on sale:
(Attachment Link)
Little update on these, a few months later: wow. The precision of the PB Swiss tips puts others to shame. These are just a joy to use.

Similarly, the Mitutoyo has proven itself too.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9691 on: June 17, 2020, 08:30:40 am »
This 24V 10A Din Rail model has gone EOL but they are a steal
Not bad if they were new original price: €50
But these are used.
I bought some MW second hand 240W 24V lately used in a led project for two years for €10 a piece, but not din rail.

10 Pommie Pounds is nearly $20AUD plus a bit of postage. Currently listed on Mouser at $120 AUD+tax and E14 at $150. $40 AUpesos delivered locally is cheap.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9692 on: June 17, 2020, 10:10:22 am »
Coronavirus quarantine haul:

1. Knipex flush diagonal end cutters
2. Erem super full flush side cutters
3. Wiha ESD safe chip lifter
4. iFixit Mako (4mm bit) screwdriver kit. The handle on this is fantastic. I’m going to get the 1/4” handle of theirs, as AFAIK, it’s the only 1/4” bit handle with a precision screwdriver style rotating end cap. (And on these, they have ball bearings!) That handle with PB Swiss bits is going to be an unbeatable combination.
5. Wiha/Xiaomi driver set (also 4mm). I love this, too. Better bit quality than iFixit, handle is a great precision driver.
6. The Sony amp and CD player I’ve been looking for for years. The CD player is easy enough to find, but the amp is quite rare. I doubt they sold too many of them. (The TA-FB930R and CDP-XB740, for those who care.)
7. Genuine TE Ampmodu MOD IV crimp tool, which with one guard piece removed works great for generic DuPont and Molex KK254-type contacts. Snatched this for under $60 NOS!
8. The pièce de résistance: a Pace desoldering station (ST-75 with SX-90 handpiece) for $115 shipped, including 25 sets of filters, spare tubes, and 6 new tips. It was rather dirty, and the handpiece needs some TLC (the button keycap had broken off — I fixed it by melting some copper braid into both sides to give it a new “hinge”, it needs new rubber seals, and maaaaybe could use a fresh heater, but even if I bought all that it’d still be a steal!) As you can see, it cleaned up nicely! It works great, far better than the Weller at work. I do need to get a tip assortment, as all the includes tips are the same size. Anyhow, given their reputation, I had high expectations for the build quality of this, but it’s actually even better than I expected.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:36:02 am by tooki »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9693 on: June 17, 2020, 01:51:02 pm »
Orion 130ST Telescope, "renewed" from Amazon.

The following users thanked this post: NivagSwerdna, Mortymore

Offline NivagSwerdna

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9694 on: June 17, 2020, 03:06:55 pm »
...but if it has a parallel port like my bp-1600 then you can only run the latest version for windows XP, believe v5.33 since the windows versions after that do not support the lpt port anymore and the software requires the newer version programmer with usb port.
It seems to have a parallel port so maybe it is not worth the effort.  I did download bpw_v4730 earlier... seems to be a VB app with a big database.... unfortunately I don't have VB reversing skills so it might be a bit intractable.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9695 on: June 17, 2020, 03:21:07 pm »
5. Wiha/Xiaomi driver set (also 4mm). I love this, too. Better bit quality than iFixit, handle is a great precision driver.

Those are not as corrosion resist as real stainless tool steel (like real CrV or tungsten steel) ones.
Mine was perfectly fine for the first two years when I used them properly with the aluminum handle.
A few days ago I tightened a few screws with my sweaty bare fingers, and the bits started showing rusts the next day.

And also stay away from Xiaomi's WowStick, they ship with even worse bits, so bad they they are softer than some quality screws.
Now I'm looking for tungsten steel screwdriver bits, I wonder where to get some. I'll skip CrV as so many fake CrV or real CrV with bad tempering is out there.
Needless to say, I'm more than happy with my Victorinox's included Philips screwdriver. I just wish they are available in 4mm hex form factor at any cost.
Wow, that’s surprising!

Unfortunately PB Swiss doesn’t make 4mm hex bits. Otherwise I’d be all over that. If you’re talking about normal 6.3mm bits, I highly suggest trying the PB Swiss. I have no idea what their alloy is, but the precision of the grind is superb, and by all accounts PB Swiss drivers and bits last a long time. The bits have got some kind of surface treatment (anodizing?) with the steel (!) of the whole bit color-coded by driver type. I have no idea whether it helps against corrosion. I haven’t had mine long enough to test corrosion resistance.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9696 on: June 17, 2020, 04:22:59 pm »
Quote from: NivagSwerdna link=topic=47932.msg3098540#msg3098540 date=
It seems to have a parallel port so maybe it is not worth the effort.
You only miss out on the latest and newest parts. This is agreat programmer for stuff that cant be done with cheap programmers.
Such as the old rpgoms with 25V programming boltage.

I use an 6 yr old HP laptop and a dockingstation that has a lpt1.
I can choose which ssd I boot from and the 2nd i installed winxp and rhe bp software. It works.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9697 on: June 17, 2020, 06:24:31 pm »
...but if it has a parallel port like my bp-1600 then you can only run the latest version for windows XP, believe v5.33 since the windows versions after that do not support the lpt port anymore and the software requires the newer version programmer with usb port.
It seems to have a parallel port so maybe it is not worth the effort.  I did download bpw_v4730 earlier... seems to be a VB app with a big database.... unfortunately I don't have VB reversing skills so it might be a bit intractable.

Just found an archive here: http://storage.datormuseum.se/u/96935524/BP-mirror/ftp.bpmicro.com/Dnload/
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #9698 on: June 17, 2020, 07:31:31 pm »
A "new" portable and quiet computer (refurbished):

Pretty good configuration for its age: Full HD display, 512G SSD, 8GB RAM, i7-4765T. Fits perfectly my Dell docking stations (that I've saved from the dumpster @work), and therefore easily swapped with the Precision M4800 that I'm using ATM as the main PC.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9699 on: June 17, 2020, 08:41:08 pm »
Fits perfectly my Dell docking stations (that I've saved from the dumpster @work),
Does your dockingstation also have lpt and rs232 ports, because it makes a perfect WinXP machine to run older software and control some equipment if needed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf