Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2782117 times)

Aldo22 and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9900 on: October 04, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »
Desoldering tool here too! Not station but original Edsyn SOLDAPULLT Deluxe solder sucker!

I also ordered Amprobe 33XR-A as a second meter, and some smd components and leds.
An Edsyn is on my list too. Their mailbag plug was pretty effective!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9901 on: October 04, 2020, 01:22:39 pm »
Scored a MetraHit 25 on local auction site.  I think I'm good with multimeters for some time now.

Price was OK, but not fantastic. OTOH, shipping is next-to-free, which never is so if you score a bargain from overseas.

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #9902 on: October 04, 2020, 03:26:50 pm »
Got myself three LC-ADC-F103C8. 10 channel ADCs.
Just for fun because they are dirt cheap.
Also cobbled together a recoding proggy for these. See pics.

Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #9903 on: October 04, 2020, 04:39:08 pm »
Got that Keithley 238 from forum member Ice-Tea, now it has finally made its way into the instruments shelves:

This is the 100M resistor that is connected:

« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:40:57 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9904 on: October 04, 2020, 05:26:45 pm »
Quick TR1100 hot air station. Curious to see how it performs on small parts e.g. 0603. I have the Quick 861DW already but I only use that on large parts due to its bulky "garden hose" handling.

Hasn't arrived yet...

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9905 on: October 05, 2020, 02:57:52 pm »
1. Very primitive LCD display. 320*240 for a very large size means pixel size it ridiculously large. Also scanning is visible and refreshing is very slow (somewhat 10fps). Viewing angle is great, but color is not so good.
Nice summary; Flukes tend to have those "ancient displays" - I still don't know if it is due to them sticking to an older microcontroller or perhaps they feel that less resolution is more robust for the field (in contrast with TFT stuff).

2. PC program doesn't work well under Windows 10 due to the USB driver is proprietary and supplied driver can't work under Windows 10. Very picky USB stick compatibility, so be sure to get a small and old drive.
Did you check if your pendrives are formatted in exFAT or NTFS? I noticed that most embedded equipment usually works (or performs better) with FAT16/32.

4. Huge power brick. 10W of power in the size of a 330W gaming laptop power brick size, presumably due to CAT IV requirements.
I also have some equipment that has large bricks; I love them and the fact they use larger capacitors with longer life (the ultra-compact capacitors usually are rated for less hours). Not to mention transformers and room for extra insulation around the board.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9906 on: October 05, 2020, 04:52:59 pm »
I tried to probe a very fast half bridge's high side gate, and it went well with 20MHz BW limit. I also tried to probe high side Vgs, and it also sent well even without a bandwidth limiter.

Out of curiosity, what is the slew rate and voltage of the Vds and Vgs rise time of such a fast half bridge? Just to have a reference.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9907 on: October 07, 2020, 01:35:03 am »
The scope does, however, work with the same drive if I format only the first 2GB of space and leave the rest unformatted. It seems the firmware doesn't like larger drive partitions.
This is annoying indeed. Perhaps they used int32_t as the disk size; who knows?

I have some 512MB pendrives just for this task - given the low resolutions of the screens, such small size holds an eternity of screenshots. Sure the full 140M points of my DS4014 quickly exhaust it, but it is quite rare for me to actually need it.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #9908 on: October 07, 2020, 05:25:27 pm »
Got a Brookdeal lock-in amplifier for next to nothing! Seems to be working as intended, and in a nice half-rack form factor.

I also bought a 1960s NOS quartz fibre dosimeter kit. The old military/civil defense pen dosimeter typically go to multi hundred R, but 200 mR pens are available on ebay occasionally. Would be interesting to actually measure my background dose.

--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9909 on: October 07, 2020, 05:33:55 pm »
Got the Quick TR110 hot air pencil today. Quite nifty. I'm now able to work on individual 0402s using hot air pretty comfortably. Happy to have that capability for 300 euro.

There's a curious feature where you set a "working time" (default 30s) after which the station kicks into rapid cooling mode at maximum air flow, as if the handpiece had been holstered. What's all that about? Caught me by surprised on my first test here and blew a resistor off the bench:

Otherwise impressed with the unit and how it handles although the UI is one of those digital disasters with too many modes and options, not the same nice feeling as their 861DW.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9910 on: October 07, 2020, 09:40:31 pm »
After seeing Dave review it recently, I bought a KOTO Fume extractor to replace my cheap and nasty ebay unit. Unfortunately, shipping is expensive so landed it cost me $192 Ass-trailian Micro-Pesos. Still seems like good value compared to other alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZHH5H7N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9911 on: October 07, 2020, 10:18:28 pm »
Hmmm. THat's £203 in Amazon UK, and shipping from the US is apparently $41. Stunning bargain for us to buy from there and ship a quarter of the way around the world instead of buying local.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9912 on: October 07, 2020, 10:39:16 pm »
Hmmm. THat's £203 in Amazon UK, and shipping from the US is apparently $41. Stunning bargain for us to buy from there and ship a quarter of the way around the world instead of buying local.

For me it's still $50 AUD cheaper than a Hakko FA-400 which is nothing to write home about. It's also $1,400 cheaper than a Hakko FA-430!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
PCN IRH Series Power Resistors
« Reply #9913 on: October 08, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »
Another used Japanese PCN's power resistors hoard.  :palm:

Smaller ones are rated 150W(mounted)/105W(free air), and larger one is 300W/210W respectively.

Accuracy 2%, 260ppm/C temp.co, can withstand 5X overload for 5 second, with accuracy within 2%, and with dielectric strength 1500V AC for 1 min.

Datasheet -> PCN IRH Series power resistor

The "W" attribute at label means low inductance series, measured with LCR, all have approx.  1uH@100kHz, not sure if these considered low inductance.  :-//

As usual, shot with TO-220 as reference size.  :P

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9914 on: October 08, 2020, 02:24:13 pm »
My old HP 1630G is far from the best LA I have, but it's still my trusty, simple favorite.  Recently an identical one was listed on the 'bay, as an auction starting at one cent. Hmm... I wonder? I set up a low snipe bid, just in case everyone else thought it was too ancient to be of any interest.

And so, behold. A really nice old logic analyzer won for ONE CENT. (254706863961) The seller was good about it, glad it was going to a good home. He did a very solid job of packing, . The international shipping baboons (UPS this time) did their worst to the box, but thanks to excellent padding the 1630G came through perfectly.

All it needed was one dreaded RIFA mains filter cap replacing, before power up. It works!

Wish I'd had the same luck with two other recent buys:
* A HP 16500C LA. Sold cheap as 'for parts'. Arrived undamaged but it turns out the PS is sick, plus HDD and MB memory DIMMs had been removed. Hopefully I can fix the PS, then scrounge a suitable HDD, reload it, and find correct DIMMs.
* A HP 4145B, working, perfect condition, relatively cheap. But despite adequate packing, UPS managed to give it some dinged corners on the way from USA to Oz. Heavily dropped, apparently. At least it still runs, but the dings are very disappointing. Shipping insurance claim time.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, I wanted a rude username

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9915 on: October 09, 2020, 09:33:47 am »
A Formlabs Form 3, and a Keithley DMM6500.

Now to find a FDM 3D printer that fulfills my requirements...

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9916 on: October 14, 2020, 12:22:49 am »
Found at my favorite surplus store...
1088710-0

The following users thanked this post: richfiles

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9917 on: October 14, 2020, 12:37:30 am »
Found at my favorite surplus store...
(Attachment Link)

Crypto mining, are we?

iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9918 on: October 14, 2020, 08:39:48 am »
There's a curious feature where you set a "working time" (default 30s) after which the station kicks into rapid cooling mode at maximum air flow, as if the handpiece had been holstered. What's all that about?

To prevent you from cooking the chip or PCB. You should adjust parameters and/or use a hot plate if you can't blow a part down for 30 seconds.

I will try to get used to that. I have to say I'm surprised that it instantly switches from low-flow heating to high-flow cooling. Isn't the expected behaviour that the solder will be molten and the part immediately blown away? Maybe I need to listen for the beeps and point the iron somewhere else during the transition.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:30:44 am by lukego »

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9919 on: October 15, 2020, 01:42:34 am »
Fluke 117 in pretty good condition. £80 from 'cash converters' - a kind of pawn shop.

Offline jmh

• Contributor
« Reply #9920 on: October 15, 2020, 03:55:04 pm »
TTi 1705 meter arrived today - will make a change to my little DMM flying about the bench after its leads...

Offline hli

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9921 on: October 16, 2020, 12:44:29 pm »
A pair of Keysight U1163A SMT grabbers. You can never have too many test leads and probes.
A Prusa i3 MK3S (as a kit - will keep me busy the next evenings I guess). Finally wanted to have a 3D printer that is just a tool and not a hobby (although I liked tinkering with and improving my K8200 it just needs too much attention)
And a TFMini Plus range sensor - I need a car position sensor for my garage (used MaxBotix ultrasonic sensors before, but they are problematic with temperatures around 0°C). I will see how this sensor can deal with the shape of the car.

The following users thanked this post: lukego

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9922 on: October 16, 2020, 08:05:30 pm »
Finally got a plasma cutter: Hypertherm XP30

1090812-0
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, duckduck

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9923 on: October 17, 2020, 08:40:11 am »
I got a cheap drill press the other day and finally got around to setting it up on a metal shelf. Considering how cheap this was, I'm very impressed!

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07V4PMPTN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #9924 on: October 18, 2020, 07:20:51 am »
A few days ago, I received an email from the school informing me that I would prepare a computer for my son that can be taken to his school. They recommended a few laptops, and I am not satisfied with those models. After doing some simple searches and comparisons, I decided to buy Lenovo's L380 Yoga. For an extra 120 Australian dollars, I get a better CPU and a larger, higher-resolution screen.

:)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf