Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1550006 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9950 on: April 14, 2020, 02:12:25 pm »
A DS218+ plus some WD Harddrives to put into it. Up to now I have been sharing files via Win10 from an external USB drive, but due to unreliability and the fact that it stops working every time Win10 updates anything I've finally decided to get a NAS.

McBryce.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9951 on: April 14, 2020, 05:32:09 pm »
A DS218+ plus some WD Harddrives to put into it. Up to now I have been sharing files via Win10 from an external USB drive, but due to unreliability and the fact that it stops working every time Win10 updates anything I've finally decided to get a NAS.
Congratulations! Years ago I got a four-drive NAS (mine is from Netgear) due to the same reason; I have been very happy with the purchase and never looked back. It's been ticking with four 3TB WD Green HDDs for five years now without a glitch.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9952 on: April 14, 2020, 05:49:38 pm »
A NAS box is on my list of things to get, but I have not yet done so.  Perhaps this will help to prod me to start looking again.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9953 on: April 14, 2020, 06:50:28 pm »
Congratulations! Years ago I got a four-drive NAS (mine is from Netgear) due to the same reason; I have been very happy with the purchase and never looked back. It's been ticking with four 3TB WD Green HDDs for five years now without a glitch.

I went for 2x 4TB WD Blue. The "bang for buck" or price per kB seems to be best at 4TB at the moment and I also have no idea how I could need more than 8TB.

McBryce.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #9954 on: April 14, 2020, 08:40:54 pm »
guys, don't forget to backup your NAS ... 8Tb on a ds218 ... if one drive fails, the whole data is lost. 5 years of hard drive working, it's the average lifespan. if your NAS has built-in test for the drives, use it once a week or once a month. with 4 disks you can have a raid 5 installed so one drive failing is recoverable. but beware. I've seen many customers lost so many datas ...

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9955 on: April 14, 2020, 09:31:04 pm »
Yup. For me every new main storage drive bought gets accompanied by 2 more as backups.

And those are offline backups, RAID does NOT count as a backup.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:34:11 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #9956 on: April 14, 2020, 09:32:43 pm »
guys, don't forget to backup your NAS ... 8Tb on a ds218 ... if one drive fails, the whole data is lost. 5 years of hard drive working, it's the average lifespan. if your NAS has built-in test for the drives, use it once a week or once a month. with 4 disks you can have a raid 5 installed so one drive failing is recoverable. but beware. I've seen many customers lost so many datas ...

I figure I'll get a 4 disk unit and run RAID.

-Pat

Offline trophosphere

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9957 on: April 14, 2020, 09:51:37 pm »
A Saleae Logic Pro 8 as I will be moving to a different city soon and will be staying with extended family until the house that I bought gets built. The rest of my test equipment will be in storage until then.  :'( Working on reading through "Computer Organization and Design" by Patterson and Hennessy in the meantime and need to put theory into practice.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9958 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:30 pm »
For a new NAS, at least give FreeNAS with ZFS a look. I use it with mirrored disks, simple and easy. It doesn't require much in the way of hardware for a basic set up (cheap) and is not difficult to use, even for beginners. If you need to complicate your life, it does offer Raid-Z in various types and can scale up to just about any level of complexity you want.

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9959 on: April 15, 2020, 05:16:32 am »
For a new NAS, at least give FreeNAS with ZFS a look. I use it with mirrored disks, simple and easy. It doesn't require much in the way of hardware for a basic set up (cheap) and is not difficult to use, even for beginners. If you need to complicate your life, it does offer Raid-Z in various types and can scale up to just about any level of complexity you want.

ZFS is the best file system yet invented. Full stop. Nothing else comes close. I have yet to lose a single file that could be attributed to ZFS malfunction, and I've been running ZFS on things as crazy as 32-bit FreeBSD. (The machine crashed repeatedly, but the files were saved.)

With 2 drives, you run mirroring (zmirror in ZFS). With 3 drives, you run RAID-5 (raidz1/raidz), and with 4 drives or more, you run RAID6, (raidz2).  It is, given the size of present drives, probably not recommendable to run a RAID5 system today. The rate of failure per stored byte is at a level that with our present drive capacity, the likelyhood of encountering several failures in parallel (before you've hot-swapped a new drive in and it's been resilvered, i.e. taken its share of the load) is so high that double redundancy is required. ZDNet still has a good article on it, old but relevant.  ZFS' integrated data protection measures help, but disk is cheap. Think before you take the plunge.  And cry less.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9960 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:01 am »

Everything on the NAS will be backed up on External USB Harddrives that aren't connected to anything.

McBryce.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9961 on: April 15, 2020, 09:29:27 am »

Everything on the NAS will be backed up on External USB Harddrives that aren't connected to anything.

McBryce.

The 218j I got in the middle of last year has been doing it's thing well sharing and backing up file sharing was a large part of my initial treason too. 2x4tB Seagates fitted and backed up to an external HDD monthly. I like the Black on yours better than my shiny white one  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9962 on: April 15, 2020, 11:35:07 am »
A DS218+ plus some WD Harddrives to put into it.
A very nice NAS. I have the 214+, 216+ and was waiting for the 219+, now the 220+ but they don't come  ;D

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9963 on: April 15, 2020, 01:01:24 pm »

McBryce.

The 218j I got in the middle of last year has been doing it's thing well sharing and backing up file sharing was a large part of my initial treason too. 2x4tB Seagates fitted and backed up to an external HDD monthly. I like the Black on yours better than my shiny white one  ;)

It had to be black, just in case someone would mistakenly think that I had bought an Apple product!! :D

@Kjelt: I decided many years ago top stop waiting for the next generation of hardware to arrive before I buy. I can't remember what it was, but the new generation of whatever I was waiting for eventually came out... It was worse than the predecessor and then the older version was impossible to get because everyone wanted that version, leaving me empty-handed.

McBryce.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9964 on: April 15, 2020, 06:06:53 pm »
Well, not quite today, but I bought a 25 x 25 x 10 mm chunk of Bismuth Germanate to use as a Gamma ray detector.  I already had a setup from a project at work to use a Silicon photomultiplier with scintillators.  So, I put it all together, and it works!  I have a small chunk of the orange-glazed Corelle dinner plate, and I get about 20 counts a second from that.  It doesn't clearly detect the Potassium in a banana, but maybe you need to count for a while to detect that over background.  I still need to tinker with the power supply a bit and make a box for it.

Jon

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9965 on: April 15, 2020, 07:18:56 pm »
"It doesn't clearly detect the Potassium in a banana"

Get a bottle of 100% "no salt" substitute for people on a low salt diet at the grocery store. The potassium 40 in that lights up my NaI detector very well with the 1.46MeV gamma.
REPAIR, RENEW, REUSE, RECYCLE, REDUCE, REPURPOSE....

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9966 on: April 15, 2020, 08:52:58 pm »
Four standard resistors and one standard inductance, all 50+YO NOS, all but one old Eastern Bloc. 

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9967 on: April 16, 2020, 01:09:14 am »
Not today, but bought myself 2 28" 4k monitors recently.  Been wanting to go 4k for a while, was aiming for 32" but they are so expensive even several years of waiting so for the price of 1 32" I got two 28"!  Was a spur of the moment thing to facilitate working from home.  At work we have 3 4ks and pretty much need most of that space.  I did not want to start having to bring my monitors home then back to work as we still need to take turns to work in the office.  Long story short it led to me splurging to upgrade my setup.

I originally set it up like this:

Which was great for working from home, with centre one being primary, but not so good for being able to use it for my own personal use, so I switched things around once my monitor arms came in:

A bit of macguyvering going on back there:

I'm waiting for some DP to HDMI adapters to come in as the ones I have don't have 4k and my KVM needs HDMI, and work PC is DP and so is the secondary output of my GPU, and also waiting for 2 more monitor arms, then I will add the side monitors back.

Side monitors will be hooked up to a Raspberry PI that will be used for misc stuff like watching movies or whatever.  Basically stuff that I'm not actively working on and just want in the background.  For my work from home setup, one of them will act as the primary for the work PC for my email and so on.

At this moment the top 4k is running in HD since I'm actually running off DVI but once my adapters come in I can fix all that.

For anyone bored I did a vlog video on overhauling my setup .

As a side note, more electronics related, I was playing around with Kicad in 4k, and it's awesome all the real estate you have.  I can have an entire PCB visible on the screen and see everything.  Only thing I find zooming and panning is kinda choppy sometimes it flies off to some weird direction.  I'm on Linux Mint 17 which ships with a super old version of Kicad though so hopefully when I upgrade my OS to newer one I will get a newer version of Kicad too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:12:19 am by Red Squirrel »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9968 on: April 16, 2020, 02:31:07 am »
I also got a DER-5000 a few months ago and its been a lot of fun. Really couldn't pass it up at the online price. Still have not really learned to use it fully. I also got a Microsoft Kinect, the old kind, for $14 which is also a great deal. It works really well with open source software. Ultimately I want to put it on the end of my 50 foot USB extender cord and map my entire house in 3D. Like a cave.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 02:34:35 am by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #9969 on: April 16, 2020, 03:37:46 am »
I have an old Microsoft Kinect.
What is this open source mapping software you talk of?
It sounds very interesting.
Time is the overseer of all things.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9970 on: April 16, 2020, 09:29:46 pm »
A new ESD mat to replace a 20 year old one with many battlescars... :)
Now lets see how long it takes for the first boo-boo, just when driving a new car off the dealership 8)

The following users thanked this post: 6h8c

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #9971 on: April 16, 2020, 10:50:45 pm »
A new ESD mat to replace a 20 year old one with many battlescars... :)
Now lets see how long it takes for the first boo-boo, just when driving a new car off the dealership 8)

The first scratch (burn, in this case?) is always the most painful.  Just juggle your soldering iron for a bit and get it over with - less painful anticipation that way.   ;)

-Pat

Offline 6h8c

• Contributor
  • Analog system
« Reply #9972 on: April 17, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »
So Dallas has come the exchange time :-P :-BROKE
Don't tell my wife how much this fun costs ... I want to live to build.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9973 on: April 17, 2020, 06:05:05 pm »

Get a bottle of 100% "no salt" substitute for people on a low salt diet at the grocery store. The potassium 40 in that lights up my NaI detector very well with the 1.46MeV gamma.
I tried the "lite salt" stuff, presumably 50% NaCl and 50% KCl and was not able to detect a clear change in count rate.
I didn't put it on a counter and take a couple minute count.  I might try that after I get the thing into a more packaged form.

Jon

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9974 on: April 17, 2020, 10:44:19 pm »

I tried the "lite salt" stuff, presumably 50% NaCl and 50% KCl and was not able to detect a clear change in count rate.
I didn't put it on a counter and take a couple minute count.  I might try that after I get the thing into a more packaged form.

Jon

Ok. Here are some photos from a few years ago to give you an idea of the expected signal.

First one is using a program that reads the counts (tics) from the earphone output of an old Geiger detector. Left is background radiation and the step is when I put the "NoSalt" next to it.
Second is the K40 line from a NaI detector viewed on a Canberra MCA (energy vs counts). About half an hour acquisition time (don't remember accurately by now...It was several years ago.)

If you cannot see that signal then I would guess a banana will not be doable at this stage.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:47:51 pm by richnormand »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf