Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754101 times)

bookaboo, PlainName, Emo and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4625 on: November 20, 2017, 07:08:20 am »
I found these Knipex precision wire strippers for around half the usual going rate on eBay, ordered one (smaller 12 12 02 model) because I was getting frustrated at manually stripping PTFE wire since the normal $20 jobbies from Jaycar/Bunnings wasn't cutting it....literally.  :P

No affiliation with the seller. Don't forget to use code "P5OZZIE" for 5% off eBay Australia, hope this helps a fellow Aussie out there.

eBay auction: #263328629991

Anyone have any experience with these models? The replacement blades look pretty expensive, maybe I should buy another spare set from this seller...

This is what I really want, just placed an order.  :-+

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4626 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:02 am »
An Airedale Terrier puppy, called Griffin. photo from the breeder - in the silly 'stance'. The little fellow handled the interstate flight well - when we picked him up - he looked like he had been asleep for the one hour flight.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4627 on: November 20, 2017, 11:09:30 am »
How cute is that :) 

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4628 on: November 20, 2017, 11:19:08 am »
Airedales are great dogs (in general) - they don't shed hair, have a good temperament - even with children, and me!
But any loved animal - cat - dog - is a great thing for your life, they give so much back. :)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4629 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:25 am »
Airedales are great dogs (in general) - they don't shed hair, have a good temperament - even with children, and me!
But any loved animal - cat - dog - is a great thing for your life, they give so much back. :)
Poop. They give a lot of poop back.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4630 on: November 20, 2017, 01:12:47 pm »

https://wddty.com/news/2017/11/owning-a-dog-helps-you-live-longer.html

Offline IRFP460

• Contributor
« Reply #4631 on: November 20, 2017, 01:15:42 pm »
Yes, and the time I live longer I spend collecting dogpoop.  :-DD
Trying to learn english, if I make any mistakes feel free to correct me!

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4632 on: November 20, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »
The time spent in collecting dogpoop counts as exercise which will increase your lifetime  :D

Offline frozenfrogz

• Frequent Contributor
  • Having fun with Arduino and Raspberry Pi
« Reply #4633 on: November 20, 2017, 02:51:48 pm »
Got two sets of decade resistor boxes today :)
The resistors are made from "Aurotan 43" wire (Manganin wire) and the casing are made from gray Bakelite.

They are in pretty good shape for 1960s gear.

Here are two photos with the 0.1 ohms box at x1 and x10 measured with a Fluke 79 in 40 ohms mode and zeroed leads.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:56:03 pm by frozenfrogz »
He’s like a trained ape. Without the training.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4634 on: November 20, 2017, 05:10:38 pm »
Received a Racal 2202R today and after preparing space to accommodate it found it's longer than expected. Doh! I thought it had the same dimensions as the 1998  :palm:   Oh well, more re-adjustments required.

This is the Rb version and it provides a 10MHz reference output which I will use to sync the 1998, SDG1025, and the Tek scope so they play together nicely. That's the plan anyway. In this photo the gear has been powered up for 30min, the SDG1025 is using its internal reference (an upgraded TCXO).

Edit: Ok, fully warmed up now I should think after 3 hours. The SDG1025 is using the external 10MHz reference provided by the 2202, it is outputting 20MHz back to the 2202 (which reads 20 MHz exactly - hardly surprising), the 1998 reads a little under @ 19.999,999,7MHz (using its internal OCXO), while the cheap Chinese 8-digit counter is reading 20.000,001 MHz (amazingly accurate for an £8 counter).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:40:47 pm by ChrisLX200 »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4635 on: November 20, 2017, 09:11:42 pm »
The time spent in collecting dogpoop counts as exercise which will increase your lifetime  :D

So you can collect even more dog poop, says the owner of 2 dogs myself  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4636 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:35 pm »
Received a Racal 2202R today and after preparing space to accommodate it found it's longer than expected. Doh! I thought it had the same dimensions as the 1998  :palm:   Oh well, more re-adjustments required.

This is the Rb version and it provides a 10MHz reference output which I will use to sync the 1998, SDG1025, and the Tek scope so they play together nicely. That's the plan anyway. In this photo the gear has been powered up for 30min, the SDG1025 is using its internal reference (an upgraded TCXO).

Edit: Ok, fully warmed up now I should think after 3 hours. The SDG1025 is using the external 10MHz reference provided by the 2202, it is outputting 20MHz back to the 2202 (which reads 20 MHz exactly - hardly surprising), the 1998 reads a little under @ 19.999,999,7MHz (using its internal OCXO), while the cheap Chinese 8-digit counter is reading 20.000,001 MHz (amazingly accurate for an £8 counter).
How's that DM3058 working out for you? I'm really on the fence about buying one. It seems to do everything I need right now, but doesn't quite have the "want" factor.

I'm a bit concerned about longer term stability too, considering some of the stories.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4637 on: November 20, 2017, 09:34:18 pm »
Quote from: Mr. Scram on Today at 08:16:35 AM

How's that DM3058 working out for you? I'm really on the fence about buying one. It seems to do everything I need right now, but doesn't quite have the "want" factor.

I'm a bit concerned about longer term stability too, considering some of the stories.

I don't have anything more accurate to compare it to, but it works fine as a general pupose bench DMM. I had watched a few vids of the DM3068 thinking they were basically the same meter but the '68 having the extra digit resolution. Wrong. The '68 has many more functions than the 3058 in terms of math functions and display, and also speed. It's much faster than the TTi 1604 I have though.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4638 on: November 20, 2017, 09:37:58 pm »
I don't have anything more accurate to compare it to, but it works fine as a general pupose bench DMM. I had watched a few vids of the DM3068 thinking they were basically the same meter but the '68 having the extra digit resolution. Wrong. The '68 has many more functions than the 3058 in terms of math functions and display, and also speed. It's much faster than the TTi 1604 I have though.

That's a bit disheartening, to be honest. I think I watched every video out there, but most are on the DM3068. I guess you had the same problems. Can you elaborate on some of the differences, maybe the ones you consider most disappointing?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #4639 on: November 20, 2017, 09:47:48 pm »
I will attempt a review at some point, but things like the sampling speed - on the '68 you can enter the interval numerically while on the '58 you get three options of fast, medium and slow.. The graphing capabilities are reduced, although the '58 will show a histogram (bargraph) I don't believe it will show the real-time line graphs seen in the '68 demo videos.

edit: and now you just made me go look at it more closely I see the LCD is having issues... a dark patch has appeared on the RH side that wasn't there before... See pic..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:57:56 pm by ChrisLX200 »

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4640 on: November 20, 2017, 10:05:06 pm »
I will attempt a review at some point, but things like the sampling speed - on the '68 you can enter the interval numerically while on the '58 you get three options of fast, medium and slow.. The graphing capabilities are reduced, although the '58 will show a histogram (bargraph) I don't believe it will show the real-time line graphs seen in the '68 demo videos.
I guess that seals the deal, then. With the weirdly densely packed bench multimeter market being what it is, and no real obvious good and cheap models near the bottom, I'm considering springing for something fancy of a name brand. Those are not that much more expensive than their oriental competitors. If you compare that to something like oscilloscopes, the relative difference is much more profound.

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4641 on: November 21, 2017, 02:05:44 am »
I seem to have a thing for AC transformers lately, picked this up at the post office today (it was funny to see their reaction when they picked up that heavy box.  :-DD ).  Ebay purchase:

1500va and steps up to 480 depending on winding config.  It's to provide isolation when working on mains stuff, figured I'd go all out in case I decide to get into high power SMPSes and I can actually do a high load test if I want to.  What I want to do is combine this with the variac I bought earlier and build a big AC power supply. Probably in a 4U rackmount form factor and make it look retro with some panel meters and stuff.  To control the variac I'd probably look at playing with a stepper motor and belt drive or something.  I would probably rarely go much higher than 120v but the extra voltage would be available if I decide to go photonicinduction on something.  >:D 

This transformer has a nice hum to it too. When hooked up to the variac the hum intensifies as I bring the voltage up.  I can play with that knob all day.  :P

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4642 on: November 21, 2017, 02:17:16 am »

Yep, those cheap chinese counters are very impressive, mine is equally as close to the frequency displayed on my main proper frequency counter, just not as sensitive though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #4643 on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:03 am »
I go a broken CityEL/MiniEL from an auction, i did only pay about 600 USD for it. I only had to replace one microswitch to get it to drive again. I need some new lifepo4 cells because one of the old cells does have a to high internal resistance, i can't drive up the hill in front of my house because the voltage drops below the cutoff voltage of 2.5V on that cell and the BMS shuts everything down, which is not too funny on steep road  :-[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityEl

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #4644 on: November 22, 2017, 01:14:58 pm »
That's a cute little car. :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4645 on: November 22, 2017, 01:27:54 pm »
Interesting way to use ribbon cable! 

Also, I've never seen that car before, not just here in the US, anywhere. Good luck with it, that's just a great deal, seems like you may just need one new battery or perhaps even just to remove it to  get it running.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4646 on: November 22, 2017, 01:59:30 pm »
Love the CityEl, right up my alley, unfortunately I bet the NZ Transport Authority would not remotely be interested in allowing something like that on the road here, I don't think even Renault got any Twizy road legal (they had a couple of demonstrator models for carpark/track drives but that was it).  I have to make do with my Daihatsu Midget II as the most obscure micro vehicle I could find, still it does come in handy, not many single seaters you can use to move house or take a load to the dump.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #4647 on: November 22, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »
The CityEl is street legal here, it is classified as motorcycle but you need a car dirvers license to drive it. The good thing is that nobody at the motor vehicle inspection station knows how a such exotic vheicle should look, and i guess that they do not know much about electric vehicles.

They will only look for stuff like brakes and lights...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4648 on: November 22, 2017, 05:36:07 pm »
That's a cool EV, Urs42. First time I've seen one, too. Sounds like you got a great deal. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Digby

« Reply #4649 on: November 23, 2017, 01:03:24 am »
Bought a Rigol DS1054Z scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf