Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1299041 times)

Nx-1997 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4850 on: November 24, 2017, 06:02:47 pm »
Nice haul, it would have cost you a bit more if I had spotted it on ebay :)

McBryce.
My sniper was set to 70 Euro.
So, it would have been yours for 71

I guess I was lucky, usually these "collections" go much higher.

So....  Do you currently have the proper crimper for the wire ferrules, or do you now have justification to buy a proper crimper for the wire ferrules?   

>:D

;)

-Pat

The ferrules I was not much interested in, since I have plenty already.
And yes, I must admit, I have already more than one ferrule crimper.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4851 on: November 24, 2017, 06:23:46 pm »
A ferrule crimper and ferrules are something I still have yet to get, though I'm moving closer.  I've recently dealt with stranded wire and euro-style terminal strips a few times around the house, and wished I had something to constrain the loose strands...  *contemplates opening Mouser, DK, Amazon & McMaster Carr sites...*

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4852 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:15 pm »
I bought a cheap openable mains tester. I did a modification. I did not like the bloody small non-secure 1meg resistor. https://www.flickr.com/photos/korytnackaseven/albums/72157690031225195
I put there two big 1 meg resistors. Now I can survive even if there was more than 250V in my electric socket.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Microcheap

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4853 on: November 24, 2017, 09:45:17 pm »
I got a battery powered hot glue gun from Lidl. I used for a long time one of those cheap hot glue gun from the pound shop but I got annoyed with its short cord.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4854 on: November 24, 2017, 10:11:12 pm »
Are you in Shenzhen?

A microscope camera (body with AF and passive lens set) from Shenzhen HQB, for 3450 CNY.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #4855 on: November 25, 2017, 01:06:17 am »
Are you in Shenzhen?

A microscope camera (body with AF and passive lens set) from Shenzhen HQB, for 3450 CNY.

Not anymore.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #4856 on: November 25, 2017, 01:35:04 am »
I go a broken CityEL/MiniEL from an auction, i did only pay about 600 USD for it.

It must be the season for buying Micro EV's, Simone Giertz apparently just bought a ComutaCar

https://youtu.be/hXzcIoq2ing

I think I prefer yours though
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4857 on: November 25, 2017, 03:49:55 am »
I have a good day today, and once in a while, we can get lucky on ebay Germany.

Lots of stuff from one single ebay auction for 57 Euro.
Many new low thermal original MC test cables in there.
Almost everything new and unused.

:-+ :-+
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • GHz
« Reply #4858 on: November 25, 2017, 08:19:27 am »
Bought a pair of 34401A mainboards for "parts". They are missing the front/rear switches. Not sure why I bought them but at 25 dollars each I figured they could be useful down the road.
VE7FM

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4859 on: November 25, 2017, 09:32:50 am »
I'm in Shanghai at business trip therefore I visit the most biggest shop :) for 3 and half hours :)
I bought some UNI-T 210E for me and my friend and some cables for neighbors son which care about my flowers :)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4860 on: November 25, 2017, 09:39:44 am »
Bought a pair of 34401A mainboards for "parts". They are missing the front/rear switches. Not sure why I bought them but at 25 dollars each I figured they could be useful down the road.
The two 1000V relays are already worth more.
Definitely worth the price for the parts.
Every once in a while a broken 34401A shows up on the market and it is good to have donor parts around.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4861 on: November 25, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »
I recently got a UT210E also. It's nice to have the NCV which beeps to show voltages in proximity in a sort of graduated manner.. That as well as the 1ma clamp current measuring capacity are very nice to have and both seem to me they will help make the hobby safer. In the past with my UT61E for example, which doesnt have NCV I don't just start probing everything when I open up a device and apply power but with the UT210E I have been - as its so easy to just scan around with its tip and its good..You just say, okay, there are voltages here and here and here, that I should know about. Thats just really good as no thinking or examining the layout or schematic whatsoever is required to do that,
and there is no risk that that could damage anything either..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 08:12:09 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4862 on: November 26, 2017, 12:22:34 am »
On the way is an Aneng AN8009 to go with my AN8008, the -9 being a back up in case I leave the -8 behind on a service call and someone keeps it.  I also bought a Canon 75-300mm F4-5.6 telephoto lens and a new camera bag for SWMBO's EOS Rebel T3 for Christmas.  I gave her 3 suggestions for Christmas and  birthday, a Yamaha headset/boom mic for ham radio use, a Quick 957DW and a Brother 1200 x 1200 dpi laser printer.  I am hoping for the Quick and the printer.
That which doesn't kill you still requires a co-pay.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4863 on: November 26, 2017, 03:32:33 am »
The two 1000V relays are already worth more.
Definitely worth the price for the parts.
Every once in a while a broken 34401A shows up on the market and it is good to have donor parts around.

Yeah, those should come in handy for a quick repair. Looks like the right one might be of the newer generation than the left.
I TEA.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4864 on: November 26, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »
...[snip]... a Quick 957DW...[snip]....
You should have asked for the Quick 861DW instead.  :o  >:D

The primary reason is the 861DW has a 1kW output vs. 580W for the 957. Makes a big difference getting things soldered/desoldered without cooking the board IME (lower dwell time). It also uses a cartridge type of heating element + nicer nozzles IMHO (NK series). There's a lot more precision to the handle portion of the 861.

At least they've upgraded the 957 with a brushless DC motor. The Quick Review: Quick 957 Analog Rework Station thread and the 861DW review by Louis Rossman (there's still photos in the forum as well).

Downside of course, is the 861 more expensive (Louis Rossman's selling it for $271, and Production Automation Corp/Prime Distributing are offering it for $275). Not sure on shipping, but it'll likely be close.

As I'm sure you recall, I do have one of these. So if you've any specific questions, just ask.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 03:38:25 pm by nanofrog »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4865 on: November 26, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
...[snip]... a Quick 957DW...[snip]....
You should have asked for the Quick 861DW instead.  :o  >:D

The primary reason is the 861DW has a 1kW output vs. 580W for the 957. Makes a big difference getting things soldered/desoldered without cooking the board IME (lower dwell time). It also uses a cartridge type of heating element + nicer nozzles IMHO (NK series). There's a lot more precision to the handle portion of the 861.

At least they've upgraded the 957 with a brushless DC motor. The Quick Review: Quick 957 Analog Rework Station thread and the 861DW review by Louis Rossman (there's still photos in the forum as well).

Downside of course, is the 861 more expensive (Louis Rossman's selling it for $271, and Production Automation Corp/Prime Distributing are offering it for $275). Not sure on shipping, but it'll likely be close.

As I'm sure you recall, I do have one of these. So if you've any specific questions, just ask.  ;D

Unfortunately, I come last on the Christmas list.  The 4 grandkids come first, the 3 children and their spouses 2nd and I come 3rd.  At least I rank above the dogs  ^-^.  They just get stocking stuffers.  With cash flow being limited for the list, I am trying not to push things too far.  Besides, I am sure that the 957 is way better than the Yihua 858D that I currently have.  The 957 is $81.99 without tips at Newark/Element 14 and I have tips that I bought for the 858D that should fit.  She actually mentioned the printer herself, that's an upgrade that both of us will use and be a tax write off as a business expense for her.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4866 on: November 26, 2017, 08:36:47 pm »
Unfortunately, I come last on the Christmas list.  The 4 grandkids come first, the 3 children and their spouses 2nd and I come 3rd.  At least I rank above the dogs  ^-^.  They just get stocking stuffers.  With cash flow being limited for the list, I am trying not to push things too far.  Besides, I am sure that the 957 is way better than the Yihua 858D that I currently have.  The 957 is $81.99 without tips at Newark/Element 14 and I have tips that I bought for the 858D that should fit.  She actually mentioned the printer herself, that's an upgrade that both of us will use and be a tax write off as a business expense for her.
Understandable.

FWIW, I usually ask for cash and add what's needed to get the item I'm after (my family's clueless in regard to anything T&M related). The only electronics they're interested in are HDTV's and gaming consoles.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Super Contributor
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4867 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
FWIW, I usually ask for cash and add what's needed to get the item I'm after (my family's clueless in regard to anything T&M related). The only electronics they're interested in are HDTV's and gaming consoles.

I have tried the cash route in the past but she doesn't like it, she says too impersonal.  She gives the kids cash, she won't do it with me.  I simply put bookmarks for what I want on her computer.  She has given me many funny looks and a couple of 'really?'s but I get what I ask for.  She doesn't understand either but that's OK.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4868 on: November 26, 2017, 09:19:52 pm »
Just arrived from England.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4869 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:38 pm »
Cheap-ass air compressor. Wanted a light, small footprint compressor for my lab. Tired of hauling my 6 gallon pancake compressor from my garage shop. $40 at Harbor Freight.   We'll see how it holds up...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4870 on: November 26, 2017, 11:16:38 pm »
Cheap-ass air compressor. Wanted a light, small footprint compressor for my lab. Tired of hauling my 6 gallon pancake compressor from my garage shop. $40 at Harbor Freight.   We'll see how it holds up...
Great price for occasional use, but what about the noise level?

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4871 on: November 27, 2017, 12:24:45 am »
Great price for occasional use, but what about the noise level?

Looks like an oilless direct drive diaphragm compressor, so likely around carrier-flight-deck-during-launch noise levels if previous experience with the breed is any indication.  Still, pressluft is handy and if it's only fired up occasionally it should be tolerable.

-Pat

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4872 on: November 27, 2017, 01:03:03 am »
Yeah, it's loud.  It's also slow - only 1/3 HP - draws about 175 watts.     I think I'll keep it pressured up and see how often it needs to cycle to keep the tank full - would not want to have to wait for it to fill and listen to the loud whine when I need air.   One advantage of the low power is that I can run it off a cheap 12V inverter for car use. 

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4873 on: November 27, 2017, 02:21:44 am »
I ordered some pilot's operating handbooks for a few of my things.  Have one coming for the Fluke 8400A, the NLS meter I recently got, the Honeywell 620 from a year or two ago and a Triplett 8035 that's been in the queue for probably two years now (it's a little three digit meter with 7 segment VFD tubes).

-Pat

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4874 on: November 27, 2017, 02:33:38 am »
Yeah, it's loud.  It's also slow - only 1/3 HP - draws about 175 watts.    I think I'll keep it pressured up and see how often it needs to cycle to keep the tank full - would not want to have to wait for it to fill and listen to the loud whine when I need air.   One advantage of the low power is that I can run it off a cheap 12V inverter for car use.

That'll last till the first time it needs to refill at three in the morning! :-DD 

I have a Makita MAC700 (an oil type reciprocating compressor); it's really quiet for a compressor.  I was using it to run a small flooring nailer for some work I'm doing on the house, and forgot to shut it off once.  It came to life in the dead quiet of the night about a day later when I was sound asleep,  :o  and I nearly levitated into the ceiling when it did so.  Making sure that it's turned off is now part of the done-with-work checklist.

Just something to keep in mind...   :D

-Pat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf