Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754900 times)

dazz1 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4725 on: December 01, 2017, 06:07:23 pm »
:-DD

Good thing it's lunch time here, my boss just wandered into my office to see what I was laughing about.  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4726 on: December 01, 2017, 06:57:38 pm »
Not purchased today but delivered, some caps and banana plugs with missing terminal screws  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4727 on: December 01, 2017, 09:50:19 pm »

Wow, the epitome of customer service. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #4729 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:29 am »
Added a Keithley DMM7510 to the Lab, should be here Tuesday  :-+  Only problem is where to put it, darn thing is almost 17" long, my equipment shelf is only 14" deep.  Gonna have to make a new shelf for it I guess.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4730 on: December 02, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
Added a Keithley DMM7510 to the Lab, should be here Tuesday  :-+  Only problem is where to put it, darn thing is almost 17" long, my equipment shelf is only 14" deep.  Gonna have to make a new shelf for it I guess.

Good Lord, that would have to go on my o-scope cart.  My shelves are 12" deep.  Have fun with it. :-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4731 on: December 02, 2017, 02:15:11 pm »

I need this service and payable by cache :)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4732 on: December 02, 2017, 02:18:37 pm »
I need this service and payable by cache :)
:o I hope it's not it's embedded.   >:D

The following users thanked this post: fanOfeeDIY

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #4733 on: December 02, 2017, 05:12:49 pm »
Bought a milligram weighting scale:

It came in a fancy box, with a 5 g and 10 g reference weight as well (the 5 g reference shows 4.999 g and the 10 g reference shows 9.995 g). Needs 2 AAA batteries. I think it is very good quality for the price, I can recommend it if you need such a scale:

http://cgi.ebay.de/132225160852
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4734 on: December 02, 2017, 06:05:51 pm »
I could have just as easily posted this in the TEA thread but will do so here.  I was at the local candy store and grabbed a couple of computers, sans hard drives, with Pentium D processors and 4 Gb of ram for 2 for $10.  I plan to put a hard drive in one and dip my toes in the pool that is Linux and see what I can learn.  Not sure yet what to do with the other.  The steal of the day was an HP 3312A function generator for $35.  It needed a fuse and, as you can see, has 2 buttons broken.  The power button presses fine with a small screwdriver and I can use a fingernail to depress the other.  Now I have to do some Google Fu to see if I can find replacement buttons, or maybe someone here has a parts mule that they might be willing to sell me a couple?  ;D

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4735 on: December 02, 2017, 07:51:56 pm »
Nice catch on the 3312A. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TX-RX

« Reply #4736 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:50 pm »
Got myself an HP3245A universal source - many thanks to the seller MasterTech!

The following users thanked this post: PartialDischarge

Offline TX-RX

« Reply #4737 on: December 02, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
...also bought a Weller Zero Smog TL Kit. It's really silent, features variable fan speed, and the filtering consists of a pre-filter (pink in the fotos) and a HEPA fine part filter. However, the remote switch is a little peculiar: it only works when it is plugged in before switching on the main switch, and then pressing "1" means off and "0" means on.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4738 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »

I know it's just a joke, but I'm not sure the tax man will smile upon fraudulent invoices or the promise of them.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4739 on: December 02, 2017, 11:08:13 pm »
New big toy I just received: 150 pcs of TO247, 80mR, 1200V JFET. Gotta build a (hopefully) 100kV, optically triggered high speed 50ns Tr/Tf power switch.
Is that something commercially available or already tried out or are you just testing a new concept?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4740 on: December 03, 2017, 12:59:19 am »
New big toy I just received: 150 pcs of TO247, 80mR, 1200V JFET. Gotta build a (hopefully) 100kV, optically triggered high speed 50ns Tr/Tf power switch.
Is that something commercially available or already tried out or are you just testing a new concept?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/USCi/UJN1208K/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugrmm1qxKNPlWgQ5o8iucv7kjh9giooOYs%3d

Devices are available, power module design is my own.
Top of the Mouser page says rdson is 80mR. Halfway down it says 230mR.   :-//
Edit - seems to be cold and hot values.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:02:02 am by Circlotron »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4741 on: December 03, 2017, 02:16:59 am »
Please be extremely careful with those high voltages.

We want you to remain a healthy participating member of this community for a long time to come.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/USCi/UJN1208K/?qs=%2fha2pyFadugrmm1qxKNPlWgQ5o8iucv7kjh9giooOYs%3d

"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4742 on: December 03, 2017, 03:45:03 am »
essentially a human WDT.
A WHT perhaps? :D
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4743 on: December 03, 2017, 07:07:27 am »

Yes, I meant the concept of switching HV with a string of semiconductors.  Cause I doubt youll be able to equalize all the gate voltages with that HV and steep pulse

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4744 on: December 03, 2017, 10:48:22 pm »
essentially a human WDT.
A WHT perhapps? :D

If you mean someone standing by the main breaker, say so!!

This was standard practice with anything reasonably "hot", but most transmitters, for instance, do have
quite a lot of personnel protection built in.

Thousands of people in Transmitter sites, over decades, worked safely with high voltage equipment by the application of simple safe working rules.
In my own experience, nobody I worked with suffered severe Electric shocks causing injury..
Two people died in aircraft crashes, & two others in falls.

The "Aiieee! The sky is falling!" approach is counterproductive.
Working with high voltages is much less dangerous than the construction industry

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4745 on: December 04, 2017, 07:28:24 am »
I bought a Lecroy LC334a for parts or not working on Ebay for 200$. The oscilloscope doesn't turn on, we'll see if I can fix it. This is my Christmas gift to myself, I was looking for a 4 channels scope since a long time. If someone is selling PP06 probes I would be interested. Now I'm waiting for delivery......

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #4746 on: December 04, 2017, 12:23:14 pm »
essentially a human WDT.
A WHT perhapps? :D

If you mean someone standing by the main breaker, say so!!
Certainly. A WatchHuman TimerR is quite effective in preventing accidents and keeping each other in check. You are absolutely correct in saying that, with proper procedure, equipment and techinques, high voltage is very safe.

Do they still use padlocks on breakers and doors?
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4747 on: December 04, 2017, 12:30:46 pm »
I bought a Lecroy LC334a for parts or not working on Ebay for 200$. The oscilloscope doesn't turn on, we'll see if I can fix it. This is my Christmas gift to myself, I was looking for a 4 channels scope since a long time. If someone is selling PP06 probes I would be interested. Now I'm waiting for delivery......
I like how much it looks like a microwave in the thumbnail.

Offline onesixright

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4748 on: December 04, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
...also bought a Weller Zero Smog TL Kit. It's really silent, features variable fan speed, and the filtering consists of a pre-filter (pink in the fotos) and a HEPA fine part filter. However, the remote switch is a little peculiar: it only works when it is plugged in before switching on the main switch, and then pressing "1" means off and "0" means on.

Any change you can find the P/N of the motor being used in the Weller?  :)

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4749 on: December 04, 2017, 04:36:39 pm »
I bought a few things at a large local auction here in the UK and took delivery today. It was an auction for a factory closedown and there were lots of Thurlby PSUs on offer. I got a nearly new PL330D dual programmable supply (32V 3A dual with RS-232 and GPIB) really cheaply, also a Keithley 2000 bench meter and a TTi LD300 load.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/electronic-loads/0535632/

There must have been over a hundred Thurlby PSUs and there were so many they were being sold in lots of 6 or 9 at low prices. But there were a few programmable ones sold separately and I got lucky. I was tempted to buy 20 or 30 more PSUs and sell them on ebay but I don't want the hassle.

So you can expect to see lots and lots of Thurlby dual PSUs appearing on UK ebay in the coming weeks... :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 04:41:46 pm by G0HZU »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf