Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777123 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #4900 on: December 18, 2017, 02:09:36 am »
Yes, a very good deal, indeed. Fortunately for Inverted18650, the shipping for me made it not-a-good-deal. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4901 on: December 18, 2017, 02:18:07 pm »
Scored an old school Eastern European P4085 resistor standard (1 GOhm, 10 GOhm, 100 GOhm and 1000 GOhm) on ebay. Actually, it's a resistor "imitator", as from 10 GOhm onwards the measurement reading on the meter is generated through a voltage divider. Given that it was built in 1982 it still seems to be pretty accurate.
Looks really nice!
How much was this resistor divider?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline TX-RX

« Reply #4902 on: December 18, 2017, 05:42:25 pm »
Scored an old school Eastern European P4085 resistor standard (1 GOhm, 10 GOhm, 100 GOhm and 1000 GOhm) on ebay. Actually, it's a resistor "imitator", as from 10 GOhm onwards the measurement reading on the meter is generated through a voltage divider. Given that it was built in 1982 it still seems to be pretty accurate.
Looks really nice!
How much was this resistor divider?

It was about 1000 EUR

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #4903 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »
Beautiful resistor!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 08:58:38 pm by Inverted18650 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4904 on: December 18, 2017, 09:02:21 pm »
Today I received this Fluke 25, complete with its hard carry case, manual and leads, hopefully I'll be able to get a case from a Fluke 27 an swap cases over to bring the extra 2 functions into play as well. Never really quite appreciated just how large this meter is in reality, I thought my Bside was big but this dwarfs it apart from the display.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4905 on: December 19, 2017, 02:27:18 am »
Received my China built Wiha driver set today.
It came in the sexiest container I've now got in my tool collection, that slide over cover is all metal with a lovely soft, satin finish which will complement any hands-on environment. (had to do the marketing description)
Certainly looks the part, could probably sit on one of those executive-management-engineer types desk and not look out of place.
I'll see how it performs in the coming weeks.

All the bits are held in the case magnetically also held in the handle that way too.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 02:37:52 am by aargee »
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline slicendice

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4906 on: December 19, 2017, 06:49:24 am »
That is one sexy driver kit. Got some less common bits too. Great find!

Offline Decoman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4907 on: December 19, 2017, 07:03:00 am »
I see that there is this handy "U" bit there in that case. :) I had to file down a flat screwdriver to make my own at one point. Unless I remember it wrong, I think recall using that "U" tip to unscrew my water boiler which used to have this annoying sound emitter inside that made a loud annoying beep every time the water boiler was started, and when it turned itself off. So, following a guide on youtube, I very carefully yanked out this sound emitter from the printed circuit board. I had ofc at that point concluded to myself, if only naively, that doing this would not lead to a safety issue re. the electronics itself.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:10:17 am by Decoman »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #4908 on: December 19, 2017, 08:09:06 am »
Today I received this Fluke 25, complete with its hard carry case, manual and leads, hopefully I'll be able to get a case from a Fluke 27 an swap cases over to bring the extra 2 functions into play as well. Never really quite appreciated just how large this meter is in reality, I thought my Bside was big but this dwarfs it apart from the display.  :-+

They are quite brick like, aren't they?  You've gotta love a bludgeoning tool that can also measure resistance, current and voltage!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4909 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:38 am »
Finally got my Aneng 8008 today ... my goodness that thing is tiny!!!

But I'm super happy with it, I plugged in a spare set of Brymen 235 leads I bought especially for it (gold plated tips make all the difference imo) and boy does it latch fast! makes it superb for doing continuity testing and for mucking about in my study - It allows me to leave my larger Brymen and Victor DMM's in the workshop.  8)

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4910 on: December 19, 2017, 08:37:05 am »
Bought some components again, am,,,, need to be careful not to make them as collections :)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4911 on: December 19, 2017, 08:43:20 am »
A very boring purchase of the pressure sensor around the Diesel Particulate Filter. I hope that this will fix the problem - DPFs are crazy money!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4912 on: December 19, 2017, 10:23:39 am »
FWIW, those I needed for a couple VW's were typically more expensive than the average IME (couple of late 80's models).

Out of curiosity, what did the sensor cost if you don't mind?

BTW, if you're not aware, you may only need to clean the DPF if that's the actual source of the problem. Far less expensive than replacement.  :-+

You may also want to check out the TDIClub Forum.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #4913 on: December 19, 2017, 10:40:15 am »
Thanks re the TDI forum link, the DPF pressure sensor cost AUS $100 - fitting another ~$100 - you have to take the air box out to get to it.
I have had a 'flush', several 'regenerations' so far. A good look over other parts of the car - intake system etc.
The OBD gives a pressure fault, the original manufacturers DPF (Merc) part is about $3,000.
I travel quite a bit to the country - most weeks I will do about 200-300km at ~100km/hr so its not the usual driving style problem. To be fair the car has done ~160,000km in 6 yrs - so to be honest it is probably just 'buggered'. There is a local AUS guy who makes some equivalent DPFs - I haven't heard back from them if they do my model. :blah:
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4914 on: December 19, 2017, 10:50:15 am »
I was in need for a "universal" programmer, so I just bought a TL866A.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4915 on: December 19, 2017, 11:33:16 am »

They are quite brick like, aren't they?  You've gotta love a bludgeoning tool that can also measure resistance, current and voltage!

-Pat
Yes, brick like is a good way to describe it. I love the sheer build quality of this meter, it is my first Fluke hand held meter and I doubt it will be my last if this is a typical example of the brand. My Bside meter is also very rugged and feels like a brick but it is no match for sheer weight and toughness of the Fluke.

I'll be passing over to my son so he can do the white infill on the "O" on the handle for me as he did on the Bside to aid the correct selection of the function to try and prevent shoving 200V into the Ohms section directly opposite on the rotary switch.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4916 on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:43 pm »

-Pat

I have a Fluke 27 F/M.  Besides  bludgeoning tool, it is great for bicep curls.

Finally got my Aneng 8008 today ... my goodness that thing is tiny!!!

But I'm super happy with it, I plugged in a spare set of Brymen 235 leads I bought especially for it (gold plated tips make all the difference imo) and boy does it latch fast! makes it superb for doing continuity testing and for mucking about in my study - It allows me to leave my larger Brymen and Victor DMM's in the workshop.  8)

I did the same thing and I like it enough that I got an 8009 on Black Friday for $19.99 s a spare for work.  Waiting for it to show up.  Just need another set or 2 of the Brymen leads that Frankie sells.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4917 on: December 19, 2017, 04:30:09 pm »
Yes, brick like is a good way to describe it. I love the sheer build quality of this meter, it is my first Fluke hand held meter and I doubt it will be my last if this is a typical example of the brand. My Bside meter is also very rugged and feels like a brick but it is no match for sheer weight and toughness of the Fluke.

I get a kick out of how, naked, it makes the 77II in its soft holster look almost svelte:

-Pat

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4918 on: December 19, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »
I never knew that the 27/FM was produced in the same form factor as the 25/27. The only ones I have seen have been yellow and I'm pretty sure they also had the bumper around them as well. What actually id the difference between the 27 and the 27/FM?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4919 on: December 19, 2017, 05:27:25 pm »
I never knew that the 27/FM was produced in the same form factor as the 25/27. The only ones I have seen have been yellow and I'm pretty sure they also had the bumper around them as well. What actually id the difference between the 27 and the 27/FM?

I think the difference is the FM is a true RMS meter.  If I am wrong, please correct me.
EDIT:  The grey cased FM meters are true RMS, the yellow cased aren't. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:32:40 pm by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #4920 on: December 19, 2017, 05:29:17 pm »
My understanding (which could be mistaken) is that the grey cased 27/FM measures true RMS AC.  I think the yellow one is not true RMS.

-Pat

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4921 on: December 19, 2017, 05:40:09 pm »
Well that made me check on the Fluke site, and it does indeed show the 27/FM is the same as the 25/27 but in Yellow and there is no mention of True RMS anywhere that I could see on the specification or in the write up speel. In fact the spec as far as I could see is the same as the 25/27 but with the addition of the Min/Max and REL button.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:00:12 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4922 on: December 19, 2017, 06:11:42 pm »
Thanks re the TDI forum link, the DPF pressure sensor cost AUS $100 - fitting another ~$100 - you have to take the air box out to get to it.
I have had a 'flush', several 'regenerations' so far. A good look over other parts of the car - intake system etc.
The OBD gives a pressure fault, the original manufacturers DPF (Merc) part is about $3,000.
I travel quite a bit to the country - most weeks I will do about 200-300km at ~100km/hr so its not the usual driving style problem. To be fair the car has done ~160,000km in 6 yrs - so to be honest it is probably just 'buggered'. There is a local AUS guy who makes some equivalent DPFs - I haven't heard back from them if they do my model. :blah:
Hopefully it's just a clogged pressure sensor then. IIRC, you may even be able to clean this out as well.

Oh, as per cost of the DPF, they go for ~$1300 here (VW P/N; not aware of any aftermarket at this time), so it sounds like importing one would be a less expensive alternative.  ;)

What actually id the difference between the 27 and the 27/FM?
It was designed specifically for the military. The meter itself does have true RMS, unlike it's civilian counterpart. But it also included an HV probe (6kV?), and a custom case to fit it all IIRC (DMM, HV probe, standard probes, spare battery).

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
« Reply #4923 on: December 19, 2017, 06:34:34 pm »
Searching for a long time already (with all probes, GPIB and all or a reasonable price - that nrequires to be patient).
Last weekend I got what I was looking for.
You will learn something new every single day

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4924 on: December 19, 2017, 06:35:45 pm »
It was designed specifically for the military. The meter itself does have true RMS, unlike it's civilian counterpart. But it also included an HV probe (6kV?), and a custom case to fit it all IIRC (DMM, HV probe, standard probes, spare battery).
That refers to the 27 model, not the 27/FM then, so does that also extend to the 25? The one I have does indeed have the custom case but not the HV probe, the back of the meter also carries a MSHA label (Mine Safety and Health Administration and also states United States Department of Labor but does not mention military apart from an embossing in the moulding at the top.

This embossing states "Meets MIL-STD-810C, method 511.1 procedure 1 explosive atmosphere test" 
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf