Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2787690 times)

MarkL and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5325 on: January 26, 2018, 10:28:08 am »
RS Components.  I had a box delivered.  It measured 14" cubed.  Big enough to put a fully inflated soccer ball in.

What was inside it?

A single flux pen.

WTF?
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5326 on: January 26, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »
RS prices warrant a big box   ;D

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5327 on: January 26, 2018, 01:54:26 pm »
  Now I have 2 pieces of gear that need the button caps. |O  The surplus store has 2 HP pulse generators that look good at $40 each, but I am afraid to bring one home and find out it woks also.  I hope to find something cheeeeeep at the Orlando Hamcation next month.

Those kind of pushbuttons are common, maybe an industry standard, and with a little digging you may be able to find some caps that will fit the plungers and work as a replacement. I seem to remember seeing some that were trapezoidal shaped when looking to fix my E3610A power supply. Or if you replace all of them, maybe regular rectangular types would look okay. Painting will probably be necessary for a color match though, all I could find was red and black.

Replacement caps on the bottom unit.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/hp-e3610a-does-this-look-worth-fixing/msg616470/#msg616470

I have tried looking by part numbers and there hasn't been any love on that.  I was figuring a cheap piece of BER gear would do the trick.  Not everything at the surplus store is working but everything I have bought has been or just needed some basic maintenance.  As far as 3D printing as bitseeker suggests, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer.  I could care less about color matching.  Anyway, I can still  engage the buttons with broken caps.  Patience will be my reward.  Besides, the Orlando Hamcation hamfest is next month.  I might be able to find something there.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5328 on: January 26, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
I have tried looking by part numbers and there hasn't been any love on that.  I was figuring a cheap piece of BER gear would do the trick.  Not everything at the surplus store is working but everything I have bought has been or just needed some basic maintenance.  As far as 3D printing as bitseeker suggests, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer.  I could care less about color matching.  Anyway, I can still  engage the buttons with broken caps.  Patience will be my reward.  Besides, the Orlando Hamcation hamfest is next month.  I might be able to find something there.

Here is the data sheet for the C&K F series pushbutton switches. I think most switch manufacturers make a version of this type. Page 6 has the caps. A little measuring and you may find one that works. That's what I did. Mouser stocks some of these and they don't cost much (under a dollar).

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/-221978-1159732.pdf

Offline kelchm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5329 on: January 26, 2018, 04:10:17 pm »
As far as 3D printing as bitseeker suggests, I don't know anyone with a 3D printer.
Sure sounds like a good excuse to buy one to me.  ;D

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5330 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:36 pm »

Here is the data sheet for the C&K F series pushbutton switches. I think most switch manufacturers make a version of this type. Page 6 has the caps. A little measuring and you may find one that works. That's what I did. Mouser stocks some of these and they don't cost much (under a dollar).

https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/60/-221978-1159732.pdf

It looks like I can get replacements for the 5314A that should fit but the caps for the 3312A are smaller than what that is available.  I have a starting point.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5331 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:32 am »

Rob, is that a Sparton Bluebird I see in the background?

-Pat
It might be,  the photo is from the  eBay seller, it does look like one, I must admit that I had to look up Sparton Bluebird!
I have yet to receive my item.
My ft101 was deaf on LSB, the LSB oscillator wasn't oscillating, dry joint. Now no modulation onTx, Fortunately good manuals are available.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5332 on: January 27, 2018, 03:29:38 am »
If you want to see a really impressive one, look up the Sparton Nocturne!  Really awesome looking Art Deco radio.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5333 on: January 27, 2018, 07:15:29 am »
Wow, that's a big radio!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5334 on: January 27, 2018, 10:58:25 am »
Wow re Nocturne, bizarre but cool.
Don't know what it's like in the States but bugger all Art Deco stuff remains here, in Adelaide a really groovy Art Deco petrol station "Bolton's Corner" which was later converted into a motorcycle showroom was bulldozed for some God forsaken tilt up concrete office monstrosity. |O

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5335 on: January 27, 2018, 02:17:00 pm »
Totally non electronics, but I went shopping this morning, and the store had roses on reduction, 50% off. Did a little talking with the store manager and got all 19 for even lower, $1.50 each instead of $6 regular price.  Been doing a little gardening now, and the rain this evening will so the watering as well for a number of them. Only thing wrong with them is the blooms are all finished, and they are due for rotation 4 Feb for new stock. They can flower now for me and the neighbours to enjoy instead. 7 pots left to do tomorrow, after I get the spade out, as I planted the rest by hand into beds or other pots.

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5336 on: January 27, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
A mechanical ventilation unit, as the old one broke down this morning. Something with the motor that halted when in 'slow' mode. The motor - controller unit is easily replaceable. It takes 30 seconds to separate it from the plastic unit that holds the tubing. However, the replacement part is not in stock, which I can understand, but is also €6,- more expensive than a completely new unit  :--  Something is really off in the state of Denmark....

Anyways, I bought the complete unit. Which sucks big time. And that is exactly what I want it to do  :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5337 on: January 27, 2018, 05:19:33 pm »
Ebay is picking up again yeh!! just won not 1 but 2 Fluke 27's, bit scruffy but all working or so they say, we'll see when they arrive.

EDIT
Pictures added.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 09:58:37 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5338 on: January 27, 2018, 10:07:53 pm »
A mechanical ventilation unit, as the old one broke down this morning. Something with the motor that halted when in 'slow' mode. The motor - controller unit is easily replaceable. It takes 30 seconds to separate it from the plastic unit that holds the tubing. However, the replacement part is not in stock, which I can understand, but is also €6,- more expensive than a completely new unit  :--  Something is really off in the state of Denmark....

Anyways, I bought the complete unit. Which sucks big time. And that is exactly what I want it to do  :D

If it has an induction motor in it then the 2uF 450VAC film capacitor on the board is open circuit.

Offline 3db

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5339 on: January 27, 2018, 10:16:25 pm »
I received this R-S-NGPS-192-0061-02 Power supply yesterday.
Did a quick test and seems to function.
I got this for £180 delivered.There are more of them.
I think I've found a manual with circuit for it which I'll upload when received.
Bought from fleabay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-S-NGPS-192-0061-02-POWERED-PROGRAMMABLE-DUAL-POWER-2x-40V-0-1A-J594-/282492392887

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5340 on: January 28, 2018, 12:22:13 am »
I received this R-S-NGPS-192-0061-02 Power supply yesterday.
Did a quick test and seems to function.
I got this for £180 delivered.There are more of them.
I think I've found a manual with circuit for it which I'll upload when received.
Bought from fleabay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R-S-NGPS-192-0061-02-POWERED-PROGRAMMABLE-DUAL-POWER-2x-40V-0-1A-J594-/282492392887
I've looked that seller before but they always want top dollar for their gear and some of what they sell looks fit for the dumpster, so you did well to get that one then.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5341 on: January 28, 2018, 05:02:46 am »
I've looked that seller before but they always want top dollar for their gear and some of what they sell looks fit for the dumpster, so you did well to get that one then.
These folks don't seem to be very sensible. I was bidding a more realistic price for a unreasonably expensive counter a while back and got shot down. A few weeks later they discounted the counter, but increased the shipping to an unrealistic number, basically ending up at the same price. I really don't like it when they try to pull the wool over your eyes that way. Since, the price of the counter has been steadily dropping, and after a few months it's now approaching what I initially offered for it.

I can't feel sorry for them. They wanted it all and ended up with nothing. As you say, it's generally old junk for top dollar anyway and their MO isn't how I like to do business.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5342 on: January 28, 2018, 06:04:06 am »
bugger all Art Deco stuff remains here, in Adelaide a really groovy Art Deco petrol station "Bolton's Corner" which was later converted into a motorcycle showroom was bulldozed for some God forsaken tilt up concrete office monstrosity. |O

What a shame. Such a cool looking station that was (and a GAS station, hehe)!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 06:06:29 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5343 on: January 28, 2018, 06:06:39 am »
bugger all Art Deco stuff remains here, in Adelaide a really groovy Art Deco petrol station "Bolton's Corner" which was later converted into a motorcycle showroom was bulldozed for some God forsaken tilt up concrete office monstrosity. |O

What a shame. Such a cool looking station that was!
It was like the station in the movie "Cars" but real!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5344 on: January 28, 2018, 07:01:22 am »
Definitely a shame when cool old stuff like that is destroyed in the name of 'progress'.   :-\ :-\

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5345 on: January 28, 2018, 11:12:00 am »
A week or so ago I finally got up a multi band antenna - so it was worthwhile getting out an old boat anchor I scored a while back, a Yaesu FT 101. The last weekend I have spent trying to get it in order.
The lower sideband oscillator isn't oscillating.  |O
I have desoldered and checked the transistor, the resistors and capacitors - found one slightly lifted pad - frustratingly it works for a while then goes silent. I have 'cheated' and bought another "Modulator board" PB 1184 - the one closest to the main dial. I will prob have a go at fixing the board again when I don't feel like hitting it with something hard and heavy. >:(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5346 on: January 28, 2018, 11:53:05 am »
These folks don't seem to be very sensible. I was bidding a more realistic price for a unreasonably expensive counter a while back and got shot down. A few weeks later they discounted the counter, but increased the shipping to an unrealistic number, basically ending up at the same price. I really don't like it when they try to pull the wool over your eyes that way. Since, the price of the counter has been steadily dropping, and after a few months it's now approaching what I initially offered for it.

I can't feel sorry for them. They wanted it all and ended up with nothing. As you say, it's generally old junk for top dollar anyway and their MO isn't how I like to do business.

Amen to that, some people are just so greedy that they just drive customers away.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #5347 on: January 28, 2018, 02:42:04 pm »
A few old IBM boards... I just liked the way they looked. Any ideas as to what they actually do?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5348 on: January 28, 2018, 03:17:30 pm »
I've got one of those Chinese precision reference voltage sources based on AD584JH with selectable 2,5/5/7,5/10V output, to see how badly out calibration is is my Solartron 7150.
Not too bad I've say, speaking of reference things, are there AC voltage reference sources and current that doesn't cost too much ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5349 on: January 28, 2018, 04:01:21 pm »
I ordered one of the Hakko fx888d soldering irons today. The Mrs is getting me it for my B/day!
I have been looking at getting 1 for a wee while now wondering if there will be a noticeable difference between that and the Katsu 852d I have now, the small blue 1 not the bigger black one.
I have found the Katsu to be "ok" but I never had any other station to compare it to so am curious. I had one of those dirt cheap plug in ones at first but that was diabolical so couldn't be considered something to compare to!

It was soooo REALLY BAD!!  |O
I think I would have struggled to burn my finger with that thing never mind solder anything, it came with lead free solder too but I didn't know any better then so was really struggling beyond belief to solder anything!
I guess i'll find out soon enough if the proper Hakko is any better!  :)
I'll just use the Katsu as a second iron now and for the hot air it has.
I have heard people saying "the proper brand names are so much better" but then again I've also heard others say "the clones are fine too" so we'll see.
I'll post if I find any great difference when I get it in a day or 2.  :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:10:55 pm by Terry01 »
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf