Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2792620 times)

Edison and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5425 on: February 04, 2018, 11:40:12 am »
Won an *bay-auction today:
A HP 437B powermeter in good working condition for less then 120EUR incl. shipping.

Have to acquire power sensor(s) now..  :)

It's another item from the service manuals test instruments list of my signal generator.  :palm:    :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5426 on: February 04, 2018, 12:25:02 pm »
Getting a working power sensor cheaply is the hard part in my opinion. They get killed from excessive power, are beyond economical repair if the sensor is blown, and many are offered untested, as-is, making buying them a gamble.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5427 on: February 04, 2018, 05:00:18 pm »
Getting a working power sensor cheaply is the hard part in my opinion. They get killed from excessive power, are beyond economical repair if the sensor is blown, and many are offered untested, as-is, making buying them a gamble.

Yes, I know.

I hope that the HP 8482A Power Sensor sold as "Tested and working condition, pulled from working environment" I just bought on *bay for ~130EUR (after some negotiating with the seller) +35EUR shipping + customs ( :'( how much..?) will proof being a good buy. *fingers crossed*

A 11730A Power Sensor cable (50EUR incl. shipping) will be shipped tomorrow.

Power Meters seem to be like lathes:
The machine itself may have a given price but the tools and accessories will easily multiply that.  :palm:   :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:25:51 pm by URI »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5428 on: February 04, 2018, 08:20:46 pm »
Tested the AVO 15V battery, and it is dead, shuffled off this mortal coil, gone to meet it's maker Ever Ready. Replacement will be easy, going to strip the case off carefully, then remove the stack of waxed prismatic carbon cells inside there, and grab 5 Cr 2025 coin cells as a replacement, fitting them into some shrink sleeve and using a pair of contacts each end to go to the original terminals. Then will make up a new box to suit and put the stack in there. Now to go get a pack of those expensive D cells, or get a pack of C cells ( a lot cheaper) and make up some adaptors to make them fit in place of a D cell, or order some AA to D adaptors on fleabay.

The following users thanked this post: amspire

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5429 on: February 04, 2018, 08:41:53 pm »
Tested the AVO 15V battery, and it is dead, shuffled off this mortal coil, gone to meet it's maker Ever Ready. Replacement will be easy, going to strip the case off carefully, then remove the stack of waxed prismatic carbon cells inside there, and grab 5 Cr 2025 coin cells as a replacement, fitting them into some shrink sleeve and using a pair of contacts each end to go to the original terminals. Then will make up a new box to suit and put the stack in there. Now to go get a pack of those expensive D cells, or get a pack of C cells ( a lot cheaper) and make up some adaptors to make them fit in place of a D cell, or order some AA to D adaptors on fleabay.
Sean, in my AVO 8 Mk 5, I made a stack of LR44 button cells and added a bit of copper tube to match the 15V cell length and then held it all together with some heatshrink.
Over here we can get a card of 10 of LR44 for $2.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5430 on: February 04, 2018, 09:01:04 pm »
Did think of that, but have a lot of CR2025 cells around from old computers, and they are still good, so no cost for the modification aside from a little time.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5431 on: February 05, 2018, 08:26:27 am »
I brought a box for filtering and balancing phantoms from the local junk/surplus shop ....

I also got a heap of very nice nickel soon to be raw copper binding posts and two mystery boxes of maybe oil filled R L and or C's. for my $15.  :-+
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:28:32 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #5432 on: February 05, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »
Wiha 27590 Precision Hex Tools, Metric, ESD Safe Dissipative, 0.7mm - 4.0mm, 8 Piece

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CW6GJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Engineer PH-55 Tetsuwan Scissors GT

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QTRJA4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5433 on: February 05, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »
Nice scissors, but I don't think I could use them.  The handles seem a bit small and I have big hands (size 13 wedding ring).  That's a shame.  I have a set of bandage scissors in my toolbox that I use, I've even cut pennies in half as a demonstration.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #5434 on: February 05, 2018, 04:29:07 pm »
Nice scissors, but I don't think I could use them.  The handles seem a bit small and I have big hands (size 13 wedding ring).  That's a shame.  I have a set of bandage scissors in my toolbox that I use, I've even cut pennies in half as a demonstration.

I have no idea how big your hands are, I don't know any thing about ring size, but I know you are definitely right! because my hands are so small, even smaller than most chinese women's hands.  :-[

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5435 on: February 05, 2018, 06:05:17 pm »
The ring light I ordered to see if I could make it fit my microscope arrived today and as promised here are some photos of it mounted (I did get it to fit after all) and a couple of screen grabs 1st one with the built in light and the second with the ring light on. I'm a happy bunny.

Yeh, I know, clean the screen...

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #5436 on: February 05, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »
I brought a box for filtering and balancing phantoms from the local junk/surplus shop ....

I also got a heap of very nice nickel soon to be raw copper binding posts and two mystery boxes of maybe oil filled R L and or C's. for my $15.  :-+
Those terminals look like they are silver plated.
Could be wrong, could be the lighting.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5437 on: February 05, 2018, 07:50:28 pm »
The ring light I ordered to see if I could make it fit my microscope arrived today and as promised here are some photos of it mounted (I did get it to fit after all) and a couple of screen grabs 1st one with the built in light and the second with the ring light on. I'm a happy bunny.

Looks like a big improvement - can't tell if it's brighter but reflections certainly less  :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5438 on: February 05, 2018, 07:56:41 pm »

Looks like a big improvement - can't tell if it's brighter but reflections certainly less  :-+
Oh its definitely brighter, I had a dimmed a bit on the photo and as you say, less shadows is good. Theres still sufficient room to get in and solder as well with the ring fitted.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5439 on: February 06, 2018, 05:28:32 am »

Yeah, that was a marked improvement. Much more even lighting. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline woody

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5440 on: February 06, 2018, 07:20:39 am »
My I-Extruder has arrived. It works fine with EFD 63/37 solder. I don't have SAC305 in EFD syringe, so I will have to test it out later.

I'm very interested in your findings; are they better than the air powered devices?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5441 on: February 06, 2018, 08:47:28 am »
My toy budget is blown so all I could afford was these holes....

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5442 on: February 06, 2018, 09:14:50 am »
My toy budget is blown so all I could afford was these holes....
Useful for your PNP devices.    ;D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5443 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:07 am »
Bought an update (2018 version) for my vrt (comparison table for semiconductors)

http://www.eca.de/en/

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5444 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:15 am »
A USA power extension cable!
Actually a bit difficult to source in Aust. I am about to test a very old and crusty Yaesu FT101 transceiver (with 115V input), and I need a power cable with a USA socket - I can then join it to my AC lab power supply (Keysight AC6802A) - with variable voltage and current limits to do the 'smoke' test .  :scared:
We need an emoticon with hair standing up!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5445 on: February 06, 2018, 03:57:45 pm »
A USA power extension cable!
Actually a bit difficult to source in Aust. I am about to test a very old and crusty Yaesu FT101 transceiver (with 115V input), and I need a power cable with a USA socket - I can then join it to my AC lab power supply (Keysight AC6802A) - with variable voltage and current limits to do the 'smoke' test .  :scared:
We need an emoticon with hair standing up!

I would think you could order them from China, just like we do.

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5446 on: February 06, 2018, 04:15:18 pm »
10x NE5532 opamps.
100m Isopropanol Alcohol
12mm Paint brush
Rolson magnifier visor
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5447 on: February 06, 2018, 04:54:23 pm »
A basic Set of N Connector Gender Changer and N to BNC Adaptors.
Telegaertner J01024A0004 - N female to N female
Telegaertner J01008C0825 - N male to BNC female
Telegaertner J01008A0824 - N female to BNC male

Didn't chose those dirt cheap Chinese shiny chromous N Connectors off the *bay.
You get what you pay for and at last you're ending up buying the expensive but solid ones anyway.

Offline Insatman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5448 on: February 07, 2018, 04:14:50 am »
Bought an update (2018 version) for my vrt (comparison table for semiconductors)

http://www.eca.de/en/

Kinda pricey....is it really worth 60 Euro to get a copy?
Retired Pulsed Power Engineer/Physicist...now I just dabble in electronics

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5449 on: February 07, 2018, 04:24:31 am »
Still have no spare $$ so today I got two free bends at a local sheetmetal shop. Still not quiet done but I have 140mm on the flat to the centre of the camera shot  :-+

Forgotten which shot is which but nice amount of focus left on the ground and on the stand. (low Res)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 04:26:30 am by beanflying »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf