Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2779359 times)

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6675 on: June 27, 2018, 12:45:49 pm »
You have the right idea...  A couple more hints:

It's a device.  A peripheral, not an entire system.
In common use through the 1970s, fell out of favor in the early 1980s.
Some models could be converted to 50 cycle operation with a completely mechanical modification.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6676 on: June 27, 2018, 12:48:54 pm »
Yes, the fact that you deliberately mentioned the 60 cycles suggested that this was important, possible being used for clock/time keeping or regulating the speed of something, It is probably a device with moving parts?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6677 on: June 27, 2018, 01:14:42 pm »
14" disk-pack drive, like an RK05J?

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6678 on: June 27, 2018, 01:25:30 pm »
8inch floppy drive?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #6679 on: June 27, 2018, 01:41:39 pm »
Eight track player?

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6680 on: June 27, 2018, 01:54:17 pm »
You have the right idea...  A couple more hints:

It's a device.  A peripheral, not an entire system.
In common use through the 1970s, fell out of favor in the early 1980s.
Some models could be converted to 50 cycle operation with a completely mechanical modification.

Hah, a vinyl turntable or a reel to reel?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6681 on: June 27, 2018, 02:01:03 pm »
A tape VCR
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6682 on: June 27, 2018, 02:14:55 pm »
ye olde ticker machine or a telex

Nothing in the post apart from disappointment today

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6683 on: June 28, 2018, 11:32:59 am »
A new base station for Amateur radio, Icom 7610, it has two fully independent  Software Defined Receivers with good IP3 performance as well as 100W full digital Tx path, able to accept 10MHz reference for freq control (has own OCXO anyway) and has an ethernet port for remote operation, USB for digital control/mouse/keyboard and virtual audio cabling.  :-+
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, dr.diesel, bd139

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #6684 on: June 28, 2018, 01:15:55 pm »
Sweet!!
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6685 on: June 28, 2018, 03:26:52 pm »
Yes, it's an 8 inch floppy unit (2 drives).  glarsson wins 50 gray beard points.  For those interested, the vast majority of 8 inch floppy drives used +5 for the logic, +24 for the head stepper motor and AC wall current for the spindle motor.  The spindle motor uses a belt to drive the actual spindle pulley/flywheel.  In the case of Shugart drives, the spindle motor was 110/220 and the spindle pulley could be replaced for 50 or 60 cycle operation.

The unit I'm repairing got heavy use as I prepared for my VCF East exhibit this year.  The AC cooling fan failed but I didn't notice until it was too late.  Fortunately, only the PS seemed to suffer for the lack of cooling.  At present, rather than repair the large heavy linear power supply, I'm replacing it with a switcher.  I use this drive in a number of exhibits and demonstrations each year, so the light little switcher will make it easier to move around.  I'm sure I will diagnose and repair the linear PS at some point.  The dead fan, on the other hand, is already pitched.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6686 on: June 28, 2018, 04:07:28 pm »
Just some LED's for me today!

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6687 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:04 pm »
A new base station for Amateur radio, Icom 7610, it has two fully independent  Software Defined Receivers with good IP3 performance as well as 100W full digital Tx path, able to accept 10MHz reference for freq control (has own OCXO anyway) and has an ethernet port for remote operation, USB for digital control/mouse/keyboard and virtual audio cabling.  :-+

Very nice! What bands/modes do you most often work?
VE7FM

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6688 on: June 28, 2018, 04:41:36 pm »

nice little radio, arn't the newer Icom's made in china now ?, ive had my 7400 for nearly ten years and its not missed a beat some of japans finest electronics

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6689 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:34 pm »
A pack of clipper flints for my gas iron and torch

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #6690 on: June 28, 2018, 04:53:42 pm »
Icom 7610

I picked one up at Dayton this year, your gonna love it!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6691 on: June 28, 2018, 05:51:10 pm »
A stainless Bialetti "two cup" coffee maker. The aluminium version that served me for many, many years has become a bit tired and I had run out of rubber seals that also needed replacing, so I thought I'd treat myself to a stainless version. Though I'm not entirely sure about the link between aluminium foodware and degenerative brain diseases some people insist exists, eliminating it from the kitchen won't hurt.

I hadn't expected it to be actually much quicker than the old version. If you use water from the kettle that just boiled, as is advisable with these things, coffee almost immediately starts flowing from the spout after putting it on the stove. The old one would take a few minutes to get there. The tight manufacturing tolerances even lead to minor issues. The metal on metal seal the filter makes is tight enough to build pressure, so just putting in hot water and the filter means water coming up through the filter due to the vapour emitted. Letting the boiled water cool sightly longer fixes that. After trying different combinations of the amount of water used and turning the stove up and down, it seems that the coffee is now on par with what the other machine makes. The result does seem a bit more consistent, though the difference may also be due to the age of the old machine. The "two cup" moniker is a bit optimistic, though maybe I need to experiment with adding even more water. Those are proper Italian cups too, not huge buckets of sewage. So far it seems to be a worthy successor.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6692 on: June 28, 2018, 05:53:20 pm »
Yes, it's an 8 inch floppy unit (2 drives).  glarsson wins 50 gray beard points.
That suits me. If I stop shaving the beard is gray.
Had four of these Shugart drives a long time ago. Used opto isolated triacs to shut down the spindle motors after a timeout. Also used my own drivers with acceleration and deceleration  tables for the head stepper. Could step them much faster that way and they sounded way cooler (tock-wee-iiiii-eeew-tock instead of tock-tock-tock-tock...).

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6693 on: June 28, 2018, 06:33:38 pm »
Yes, it's an 8 inch floppy unit (2 drives).  glarsson wins 50 gray beard points.
That suits me. If I stop shaving the beard is gray.
Had four of these Shugart drives a long time ago. Used opto isolated triacs to shut down the spindle motors after a timeout.
That's a neat idea.  I guess you tied into the head load control line?  You could interrupt the AC at the cable without hacking up the control board.
Also used my own drivers with acceleration and deceleration  tables for the head stepper. Could step them much faster that way and they sounded way cooler (tock-wee-iiiii-eeew-tock instead of tock-tock-tock-tock...).
You're talking software, right?  The controller side determines the step rate.  I would think that you might have to tune that on a drive by drive basis.

Maybe we should take this discussion to the vintage computer board?

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6694 on: June 28, 2018, 07:22:57 pm »
Maybe we should take this discussion to the vintage computer board?
Why not.
I started a new thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/random-talk-about-old-floppy-drives/

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6695 on: June 28, 2018, 10:05:11 pm »

Woah! That's quite a rig. I guess we won't see you for a while as you dive into all that it can do. ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6696 on: June 29, 2018, 12:29:52 am »
Re Icom 7610, I don't know where it is made, but the build is quite different from the 7300.
Had my 1st contact on 7MHz sideband - about 2000km away (vk4**) the noise reduction unit is really good.
I have usually been psk31 on 14MHz, but FT8 has killed that, I miss the fact that with FT8 mode it is very impersonal, but it gets through all the SMPSU hash. One of the local hams is pushing morse so I will take a brave pill, and have a go. Some of the morse transceivers are just so elegantly simple and so effective - it's hard to resist.
No doubt the device is better than me!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6697 on: June 29, 2018, 04:57:34 am »
Re Icom 7610, I don't know where it is made, but the build is quite different from the 7300.
Had my 1st contact on 7MHz sideband - about 2000km away (vk4**) the noise reduction unit is really good.
I have usually been psk31 on 14MHz, but FT8 has killed that, I miss the fact that with FT8 mode it is very impersonal, but it gets through all the SMPSU hash. One of the local hams is pushing morse so I will take a brave pill, and have a go. Some of the morse transceivers are just so elegantly simple and so effective - it's hard to resist.

We can always have a go with FT8 on 20 if you're interested. It has gotta be the least exciting mode ever used - but weak signals sure do get through.
VE7FM

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6698 on: June 29, 2018, 09:20:41 am »

I'm going to be at the side of a Loch in Scotland next week with my radio, I'm going to try FT8 and voice while I'm there so perhaps...

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #6699 on: June 29, 2018, 11:00:12 am »
@The Steve and Cjay, I am round most nights here about Sat to Wed 0900 to 1300 UTC, work is pretty crazy at present, I would prob use my old IC756P3  as it is set up for digital modes at present and I haven't got my head around the 7610s USB cabling - I recall it took while for the IC 7300. At present not much is getting through the SMPSU hash here, a trip to the 'wilds' of Scotland sounds bloody fantastic - serious envy :-+
(Current antenna is a horizontal loop - about 30m of wire in loop), fed with ladder line into a balun then SGC autotuner

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf