Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754711 times)

Smokey and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6750 on: July 09, 2018, 04:56:56 pm »
They sent me one last year after a Hirose GT connector order (oem Nissan connectors) - most will send out catalogues but you may have to pay the shipping for it
Who, Mouser or Newark?

I have the last Mouser catalog (2014). Newark will not send an English catalog outside of UK or US, as I said. I asked, they categorically will not do it. :(

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6751 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:41 pm »
I didn't "buy" anything today so have no "latest purchase" to post....DAMN!!  :rant:
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6752 on: July 09, 2018, 08:31:32 pm »
A nice 14" box fan for my lab take the heat down a bit, works a treat.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6753 on: July 09, 2018, 08:43:37 pm »
A nice 14" box fan for my lab take the heat down a bit, works a treat.

Nice 1!  Good shout!   :)
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6754 on: July 10, 2018, 01:12:18 am »
Keysight U1620A 2 channel 200 MHz handheld scope.

You, sir, are evil. You just let me know this wonderful piece of kit for measuring SMPS high side, and my money just automatically went to Keysight :-//.

I gotta start asking for a commission.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #6755 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:02 pm »
I don't have the proper power adapter which is 15 VDC @ 4amp. It uses what I am calling a 2.5mm "safety" barrel plug - does anyone know where to source one, I have plenty of power adapters and would be happy to just change the end.
Fluke uses those as well on their power analyzers, and they fail. But a replacement connector is unobtanium.

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6756 on: July 10, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »
Parrot stuffing, scrim tape and a new Oregon chain for the pole lopper

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6757 on: July 11, 2018, 12:33:45 am »
Squeezed this one in just before the Turdball GST Tax on all imports into Australia  :--

40W 300x200 Chinese Laser Cutter/Engraver with adjustable bed and a few more extras than the really cheap evilbay ones.

ETA Tomorrow  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6758 on: July 11, 2018, 07:58:26 am »
40W 300x200 Chinese Laser Cutter/Engraver with adjustable bed and a few more extras than the really cheap evilbay ones.

Linky and price? I've been promising myself a laser cutter for a couple of years now and have a bit of spare cash

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6759 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:13 am »

Linky and price? I've been promising myself a laser cutter for a couple of years now and have a bit of spare cash

This one. Voleren has been around a good while on Alibaba. Most likely you will get in touch with Ronny whose English is really good. Freight you will need to sort out depending on surface or air. I had mine shipped Air to avoid port fees etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Freeshipping-Factory-sell-WR3020-laser-engraving-cutting-maching-laser-engraver-laser-cutter-working-area-300-200mm/32820974406.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.653c4c4dTu6zfN
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #6760 on: July 11, 2018, 10:52:59 am »

Please open a thread when it arrives, I am sure there is something to improve in that device.  :P
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6761 on: July 11, 2018, 11:04:07 am »

Please open a thread when it arrives, I am sure there is something to improve in that device.  :P

Will do. It already has a bunch of the 'upgrades' that purchasers of the cheap blue Chinese one seem to do or have to do when people buy them. To have these done as stock is worth the extra $ IMO.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6762 on: July 11, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
Is that equal to the so called K40 laser cutter/engravers?
I am also interested in purchasing one, but then already shipped from Germany so to evade the import duties and taxes, it would cost around €350.-

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #6763 on: July 11, 2018, 06:36:37 pm »
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:51:43 pm by zucca »

Offline cheeseit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6764 on: July 11, 2018, 07:28:34 pm »
"The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you."

lul what..? Does include solder and helping hands though.. :-DD

Nice win zucca

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #6765 on: July 11, 2018, 09:23:41 pm »
Thanks,

I got that one because I could not touch the TS OLED irons made with chinesium.

That will be my travel iron...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6766 on: July 11, 2018, 10:47:33 pm »
Pulled trigger on one of these little beauties today, it will be with me tomorrow, more voltnuttery toys to play with  :-DMM
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6767 on: July 11, 2018, 11:07:43 pm »
Wait, what? You think a measly BM867S is volt-nuttery territory? :wtf:

Something like an HP/Agilent/Keysight 3458A* that's been kept calibrated OTOH, would be a different story entirely for a DMM.   ;)

* 8.5 digit beastie still in production.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6768 on: July 11, 2018, 11:38:15 pm »
WTF! check the specs on that Brymen BM867s, its not an cheapo meter at all, it's made by the same company who makes the EEVblog meter and the original EEVblog meter was just a rebadged Brymen.

I think it will sit alongside my other meters, Flukes, 25(s), 27(s) and 8840A, HP 3466A(s), Philips PM 2521, Solartron 7045, Kyoritsu 1400, TMK700, AVO Mk8 and many others both analogue and digital.

There are varying degrees of voltnuttery, those meters such as you mention simply will not fit in my small lab, I've recently sold on my Fluke 8505A for that reason. To have meters such as the 3458A requires very deep pockets  :palm: which is something most pensioners I know don't have, but if I could afford to, I'd have those meters in a heartbeat, and a bigger house to setup a bigger lab  :-+
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:55:47 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6769 on: July 12, 2018, 01:45:00 am »
Is that equal to the so called K40 laser cutter/engravers?
I am also interested in purchasing one, but then already shipped from Germany so to evade the import duties and taxes, it would cost around €350.-

On paper the Laser itself is the same power but the rest of it is quite different. Optics, Nozzle, Slides & Bed are better than the K40. I looked at adding a few improvements for a K40 to bring it closer to this spec and buying this one made a lot more sense.

Our beloved Australian Government 'in theory' has just added to ALL imports 10%GST regardless of price while it used to be over $1k only along with duty from that point. So we have gone from 'sensible' to STUPID in the last 2 weeks.

THREAD is HERE https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/new/#new
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:02:02 am by beanflying »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6770 on: July 12, 2018, 03:02:20 am »

Something like an HP/Agilent/Keysight 3458A* that's been kept calibrated OTOH, would be a different story entirely for a DMM.   ;)

It's one of the few handhelds that can claim 5 1/2 digits on some of its ranges and gives most handhelds a run for their money in other areas too. You don't need exotic and eye-wateringly expensive gear to make it interesting for the voltage inclined folk. Sure a 3458A would be a looker in the lab, but when it comes to poking mains or a board I'm not quite familiar with I'd be more comfortable with this one.

Nice purchase Specmaster. I've been eyeing its bigger brother regularly, but really don't need yet another handheld. That's no excuse, but knowing it'd go at the expense of other needed equipment is.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:06:40 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6771 on: July 12, 2018, 07:12:51 am »

It's one of the few handhelds that can claim 5 1/2 digits on some of its ranges and gives most handhelds a run for their money in other areas too. You don't need exotic and eye-wateringly expensive gear to make it interesting for the voltage inclined folk. Sure a 3458A would be a looker in the lab, but when it comes to poking mains or a board I'm not quite familiar with I'd be more comfortable with this one.

Nice purchase Specmaster. I've been eyeing its bigger brother regularly, but really don't need yet another handheld. That's no excuse, but knowing it'd go at the expense of other needed equipment is.
Thank you, I looked at its bigger brother (same physical size) and decided that I'm extremely unlikely to come across any VF drives nor have a need for 2 temperature inputs. I don't recall any other differences in the meter apart from very slightly improved accuracy from 0.05% to 0.03%.

TBH until bd139 got one, I never really looked at Brymen, then it clicked into place that Dave Jones's first meter was a rebadged one and his latest one is also based on and indeed built by Brymen. There is no way that he would do that if they were not of a reliable  quality, with a high precision standard. While they may not be of same build quality as my venerable Fluke 25's and 27's performance wise they are a match and unless I plan to use them in the middle of war zone will be perfectly adequate for the job.

I'm other news I'm invited to take part in an online survey by RS on Monday which is all about their calibration dept and service. Bearing in mind the issues I had with my 3478A and how I had to calibrate it myself, should be quite interesting. [emoji106]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6772 on: July 12, 2018, 09:38:59 am »
Dave Jones's first meter was a rebadged one and his latest one is also based on and indeed built by Brymen.
If you are referring to the BM235 and the 121GW respectively, the latter is designed and built by UEi, not Brymen.

(But Brymen is really good)
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6773 on: July 12, 2018, 10:20:30 am »
Dave Jones's first meter was a rebadged one and his latest one is also based on and indeed built by Brymen.
If you are referring to the BM235 and the 121GW respectively, the latter is designed and built by UEi, not Brymen.

(But Brymen is really good)
I was indeed but thanks for putting me right, can't say as I know of UEi, it must be a brand not represented here in the UK?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6774 on: July 12, 2018, 11:16:05 am »
WTF! check the specs on that Brymen BM867s, its not an cheapo meter at all, it's made by the same company who makes the EEVblog meter and the original EEVblog meter was just a rebadged Brymen.
The first line was meant as a joke. Clearly that part wasn't interpreted as intended, so my apologies.  :-[

As per Brymen, they're decent handhelds that offer a lot of value over more well known brands IME (I own a BM857 which = BM867's older brother). But if I need more resolution than 50k count units can provide (I consider the 500,000 button as liar mode  :o  ;D), I go to my bench meter (GW Instek GDM-8251A I got cheap when all the ITT surplus flooded eBay).

For the record, my experience in volt-nuttery comes from aerospace, so that's probably not helping matters much.

There are varying degrees of voltnuttery, those meters such as you mention simply will not fit in my small lab, I've recently sold on my Fluke 8505A for that reason. To have meters such as the 3458A requires very deep pockets  :palm: which is something most pensioners I know don't have, but if I could afford to, I'd have those meters in a heartbeat, and a bigger house to setup a bigger lab  :-+
I can certainly understand the issues of finding the physical space for boat anchors. But the smaller format 5.5 or 6.5 digit bench models would seem to be a reasonable compromise.

Even on costs, if something suitable shows up on the used market (I know it's tougher in the UK).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf