Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2779796 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #6775 on: July 12, 2018, 11:38:24 am »
WTF! check the specs on that Brymen BM867s, its not an cheapo meter at all, it's made by the same company who makes the EEVblog meter and the original EEVblog meter was just a rebadged Brymen.
The first line was meant as a joke. Clearly that part wasn't interpreted as intended, so my apologies.  :-[

As per Brymen, they're decent handhelds that offer a lot of value over more well known brands IME (I own a BM857 which = BM867's older brother). But if I need more resolution than 50k count units can provide (I consider the 500,000 button as liar mode  :o  ;D), I go to my bench meter (GW Instek GDM-8251A I got cheap when all the ITT surplus flooded eBay).

For the record, my experience in volt-nuttery comes from aerospace, so that's probably not helping matters much.

There are varying degrees of voltnuttery, those meters such as you mention simply will not fit in my small lab, I've recently sold on my Fluke 8505A for that reason. To have meters such as the 3458A requires very deep pockets  :palm: which is something most pensioners I know don't have, but if I could afford to, I'd have those meters in a heartbeat, and a bigger house to setup a bigger lab  :-+
I can certainly understand the issues of finding the physical space for boat anchors. But the smaller format 5.5 or 6.5 digit bench models would seem to be a reasonable compromise.

Even on costs, if something suitable shows up on the used market (I know it's tougher in the UK).
Haha, apology accepted, I did wonder if you was joking as most people would accept that meter as being decent. When you decide not to use liar mode,  how much is it out by when you switch to your 8251A meter? I don't actually do anything that demands that much accuracy, TBH, most domestic radio and audio gear tends to have voltage references expressed in 0.1v steps so even a 3.5 digit meter is perfectly suitable for my needs. That said of course its just like a car, its always nice to have more power on tap in case you need it at some point.

Aerospace I can imagine might need the extra accuracy and yes, I often look at the items on offer in the USA on Ebay and many times I've gone to click on the BIN button then I remember to check the shipping costs which are often considerably higher then the item in the first place and I back down.  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6776 on: July 12, 2018, 12:14:38 pm »
Dave Jones's first meter was a rebadged one and his latest one is also based on and indeed built by Brymen.
If you are referring to the BM235 and the 121GW respectively, the latter is designed and built by UEi, not Brymen.

(But Brymen is really good)
I was indeed but thanks for putting me right, can't say as I know of UEi, it must be a brand not represented here in the UK?

UEi definitely have a UK presence, I think they're represented in the UK (not exclusively) by Kane and May and badged for British Gas, so I'm pretty sure they'd meet the CAT ratings on the front.

I have a DM393, nice little meter, bit slow, true RMS, seems accurate enough.

http://www.ueitest.com/sites/default/files/product-resources/DIGITAL%20MULTIMETERS%20DATA%20SHEET.pdf

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6777 on: July 12, 2018, 02:20:35 pm »
Haha, apology accepted, I did wonder if you was joking as most people would accept that meter as being decent. When you decide not to use liar mode,  how much is it out by when you switch to your 8251A meter? I don't actually do anything that demands that much accuracy, TBH, most domestic radio and audio gear tends to have voltage references expressed in 0.1v steps so even a 3.5 digit meter is perfectly suitable for my needs. That said of course its just like a car, its always nice to have more power on tap in case you need it at some point.

Aerospace I can imagine might need the extra accuracy and yes, I often look at the items on offer in the USA on Ebay and many times I've gone to click on the BIN button then I remember to check the shipping costs which are often considerably higher then the item in the first place and I back down.  :wtf:
The BM867 is definitely a decent meter IMHO. It may not have every bell and whistle as it's bigger brother has (BM869 for those that aren't familiar), but the quality and value offered is astounding. I'd actually rank Brymen's value the best I'm aware of for handhelds.

My major handhelds include a Uni-T UT139C (6k count), Brymen BM857 (50k count), Agilent  U1252B (50k count), and a Fluke 27/FM (great whopping 3.2k counts, but built like a tank and is easily fixed as long as you don't blow the IC). There's the bench meter of course, and a few DT-830 freebies (they make great road DMM's and panel meters).

As per more power, I truly get it, but it's from the lazy POV. Meaning I'd rather use a 50k count meter where a 6k count meter would do in order to take advantage of significant digits so I don't have to do any math.  >:D Toss in the fact I like my toys, this fact doesn't improve my purchasing habits either (within reason, as I'm not that far gone ATM).  :-DD

In regard to absolute accuracy, do keep in mind none of my meters are calibrated at this point (those that were have expired). That said however, comparing them using an inexpensive voltage reference, they're all well within spec last I checked.  :-+

In regard to US ebay sellers, I do see decent prices incl. shipping for UK/EU buyers at times, so it's worth setting up notifications IMHO.  ;) The link for the Fluke 27/FM would be one example. Just requires more patience than those of us in the US (and a 230V capable PSU that at most, only requires a different fuse for bench gear).

Worst case, if there is something specific you're after, posting a WTB thread could direct you to the right item at the right price (i.e. someone might be in the know of the right company close-out & auction house handling it). Certainly doesn't hurt to make such a thread at any rate.   :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6778 on: July 12, 2018, 05:19:51 pm »
The BM867 is definitely a decent meter IMHO. It may not have every bell and whistle as it's bigger brother has (BM869 for those that aren't familiar), but the quality and value offered is astounding. I'd actually rank Brymen's value the best I'm aware of for handhelds.

My major handhelds include a Uni-T UT139C (6k count), Brymen BM857 (50k count), Agilent  U1252B (50k count), and a Fluke 27/FM (great whopping 3.2k counts, but built like a tank and is easily fixed as long as you don't blow the IC). There's the bench meter of course, and a few DT-830 freebies (they make great road DMM's and panel meters).

As per more power, I truly get it, but it's from the lazy POV. Meaning I'd rather use a 50k count meter where a 6k count meter would do in order to take advantage of significant digits so I don't have to do any math.  >:D Toss in the fact I like my toys, this fact doesn't improve my purchasing habits either (within reason, as I'm not that far gone ATM).  :-DD

In regard to absolute accuracy, do keep in mind none of my meters are calibrated at this point (those that were have expired). That said however, comparing them using an inexpensive voltage reference, they're all well within spec last I checked.  :-+

In regard to US ebay sellers, I do see decent prices incl. shipping for UK/EU buyers at times, so it's worth setting up notifications IMHO.  ;) The link for the Fluke 27/FM would be one example. Just requires more patience than those of us in the US (and a 230V capable PSU that at most, only requires a different fuse for bench gear).

Worst case, if there is something specific you're after, posting a WTB thread could direct you to the right item at the right price (i.e. someone might be in the know of the right company close-out & auction house handling it). Certainly doesn't hurt to make such a thread at any rate.   :-+
I'm a sucker for meters, if there's one thing that could be an impulse buy its multimeters of either digital or analogue and my collection (which I'm thinning down a little to avoid to many duplicates) is as follows;

Handheld DMM's
1 x Proster VC97  2k
2 x Bside ADM08A 6k
1 x Robin OM840 20k
11 x Fluke 25 3.2k
2 x Fluke 27 3.2k
1 x Brymen BM867s 50k & 500k

Bench DMM's
1 x Philips PM2521 20k
1 x Solartron 7045 20k
2 x HP 3466A 20k
1 x HP3478A 200k
1 x Fluke 8840A 200k

Analogue meters
1 x Avo Mk8
1 x Avo 1001
1 x TMK 700
1 x TMK 500
1 x Kyoritsu 1400
1 x Robin 2608
1 x Robin 1502

1 x Heathkit MM-1U
1 x Heathkit V-7AU

There may be in the garage a couple of real cheap and nasty give away DMM's as well.

I agree those Fluke 25 and 27 meters really are built like a tank and the BM867 has a similar feel to it, although I know that the plastics are not of the same quality but the bumper gives it a great feeling of solidity.

The Fluke 8840A is lacking the AC option unfortunately which I already have a thread in the WTB thread for this along with a replacement VFD as mine is quite dim as I suspect that it has been sat in a lab somewhere switched on for the duration of the working day at least.

I think the only extra functions that the BM867 has over the 867 is the function for the variable frequency drives and temperature, neither of which bothers me so I saved myself a huge wedge in getting the 867.

I don't yet have anything above 5.5 digits but I just know that its only a matter of time on that front  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #6779 on: July 12, 2018, 05:33:13 pm »
I'm a sucker for meters, if there's one thing that could be an impulse buy its multimeters of either digital or analogue and my collection (which I'm thinning down a little to avoid to many duplicates) is as follows;

Handheld DMM's
1 x Proster VC97  2k
2 x Bside ADM08A 6k
1 x Robin OM840 20k
11 x Fluke 25 3.2k
2 x Fluke 27 3.2k

Bench DMM's
1 x Philips PM2521 20k
1 x Solartron 7045 20k
2 x HP 3466A 20k
1 x HP3478A 300k
1 x Fluke 8840A 200k

Analogue meters
1 x Avo Mk8
1 x Avo 1001
1 x TMK 700
1 x TMK 500
1 x Kyoritsu 1400
1 x Robin 2608
1 x Robin 1502

1 x Heathkit MM-1U
1 x Heathkit V-7AU

There may be in the garage a couple of real cheap and nasty give away DMM's as well.

I agree those Fluke 25 and 27 meters really are built like a tank and the BM867 has a similar feel to it, although I know that the plastics are not of the same quality but the bumper gives it a great feeling of solidity.

The Fluke 8840A is lacking the AC option unfortunately which I already have a thread in the WTB thread for this along with a replacement VFD as mine is quite dim as I suspect that it has been sat in a lab somewhere switched on for the duration of the working day at least.

I think the only extra functions that the BM867 has over the 867 is the function for the variable frequency drives and temperature, neither of which bothers me so I saved myself a huge wedge in getting the 867.

I don't yet have anything above 5.5 digits but I just know that its only a matter of time on that front  :-DD
You are closer to 6.5d than you think; the 3478A is 300k counts (303100 to be precise).

I have two and I absolutely love them! I suspect these meters go for such low price because of their LCD - otherwise it is an excellent piece of gear.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:35:22 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6780 on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:07 am »
I just ordered a mini 50mm cut-off saw so I can cut down 64 pin receptacles to 62 pins seeing as the 62 pin receptacles are now as easy to find as Unicorn poo!  |O

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #6781 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:56 am »
I just ordered a mini 50mm cut-off saw so I can cut down 64 pin receptacles to 62 pins seeing as the 62 pin receptacles are now as easy to find as Unicorn poo!  |O

I want that saw!!!!!
I have to cut short lengths of 3mm OD brass tubing and that looks like the ticket.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6782 on: July 13, 2018, 01:11:38 am »

I want that saw!!!!!
I have to cut short lengths of 3mm OD brass tubing and that looks like the ticket.

They are pretty affordable, only $115 aussie pesos delivered from a local seller. I'd guess they are cheaper stateside.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142758175904

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6783 on: July 13, 2018, 03:51:59 am »

Handheld DMM's
1 x Proster VC97  2k
2 x Bside ADM08A 6k
1 x Robin OM840 20k
11 x Fluke 25 3.2k
2 x Fluke 27 3.2k

Bench DMM's
1 x Philips PM2521 20k
1 x Solartron 7045 20k
2 x HP 3466A 20k
1 x HP3478A 200k
1 x Fluke 8840A 200k

Analogue meters
1 x Avo Mk8
1 x Avo 1001
1 x TMK 700
1 x TMK 500
1 x Kyoritsu 1400
1 x Robin 2608
1 x Robin 1502

1 x Heathkit MM-1U
1 x Heathkit V-7AU

Holly crap, you've quite a collection there.  :o  ;D

FWIW, the only analog meters I have these days are attached to a couple of PSU's I own (PD TP343B & GW Instek GPC-3020).

Damn I love the aesthetics of the Power Designs stuff  8) (aluminum knobs, not the later versions/models with the cheap, ugly plastic ones).

FWIW, I've seen threads/info regarding VFD rejuvenation, so that may truly be worth a look IMHO.

Sorry I don't have more details on this, but I've not needed to do this thus far.

I think the only extra functions that the BM869 has over the 867 is the function for the variable frequency drives and temperature, neither of which bothers me so I saved myself a huge wedge in getting the 867.

Exactly.

Not a huge difference in features as a general rule, but a notable price difference to get the extras that come standard in the BM869 (think there are differences in data logging capabilities as well).

Certainly seems you're more than bitten by the bug that imparts gear acquisition syndrome though, so you might want to figure out if you need an anti-fungal or antibiotic to deal with it.  :o  :-DD

Regarding a decent 5.5 digit DMM, I'm sure something suitable will come up for the right price on eBay (US or other locations).

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #6784 on: July 13, 2018, 09:28:22 pm »
I want that saw!!!!!

You can get one at Harbor freight for $35; or $28 if you use a 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6785 on: July 14, 2018, 03:24:55 am »
I want that saw!!!!!

Yeah I knew you guy's would get much better pricing than we do, everything here gets an unhealthy does of "Australia Tax"!  |O

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
GE Capacitors 55 mF 30 V
« Reply #6786 on: July 14, 2018, 11:12:38 am »
Used GE Capacitors 55 mF (55.000 uF) 30 V rated.

ELECTROLITYC vs normal ELECTROLYTIC:-//

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: GE Capacitors 55 mF 30 V
« Reply #6787 on: July 14, 2018, 12:09:09 pm »

The quotation marks used as an apostrophe is a little iffy also.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #6788 on: July 14, 2018, 12:40:16 pm »
Geniune GE electrolityc capacitors. Oo-kay.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6789 on: July 14, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »

The quotation marks used as an apostrophe is a little iffy also.

Geniune GE electrolityc capacitors. Oo-kay.

Yeah, I'm aware of those details that it looks fishy, I guess I'm going to fully test it like forming and leakage test at 30 Volt, this will take sometimes.

Meanwhile briefly tested capacitance using Fluke 287 are about 75.000 uF (75 mF).  ::)  :-//

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #6790 on: July 14, 2018, 01:35:32 pm »
I want that saw!!!!!

Yeah I knew you guy's would get much better pricing than we do, everything here gets an unhealthy does of "Australia Tax"!  |O

Ouch!! But I have to admit that it seems odd, since practically everything everything at harbor freight is manufactured in China. It seems like there wouldn't be any big difference AU and US.  But I'm sure that there are lots of reasons why it's not that simple.

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6791 on: July 14, 2018, 01:47:10 pm »

Yeah, I'm aware of those details that it looks fishy, I guess I'm going to fully test it like forming and leakage test at 30 Volt, this will take sometimes.

Meanwhile briefly tested capacitance using Fluke 287 are about 75.000 uF (75 mF).  ::)  :-//

Completely within tolerance. It's rated as -10% to +50%.  Sounds promising.

I think the main issues with counterfeits would be reliability, which are not really testable with a small handful of parts in a low amount of time. For example, will the electrolytic leak out in a few years....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6792 on: July 14, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »
Yummy !  :-+

I got a 60kuF 60V jobby a few years back cheap and it's currently serving duty in a MIG welder.
I should've bought more.  |O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Back2Volts

• Supporter
« Reply #6793 on: July 14, 2018, 02:59:41 pm »
I like that saw!

Offline piguy101

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6794 on: July 14, 2018, 06:28:05 pm »
I got a Knipex 12 42 195 wire stripper. It seems to work well so far and gives good results. It is rated for 7-32 AWG, but I find that for my cheap 30 awg 'bodge wire', it has a tendency just to cut the conductor instead of strip it. Larger wires strip just fine.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #6795 on: July 14, 2018, 10:43:27 pm »
I want that saw!!!!!

Ouch!! But I have to admit that it seems odd, since practically everything everything at harbor freight is manufactured in China. It seems like there wouldn't be any big difference AU and US.  But I'm sure that there are lots of reasons why it's not that simple.

I could have bought it direct from China and saved about $30, but I didn't want to wait 4-6 weeks for it to arrive.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
« Reply #6796 on: July 15, 2018, 06:28:53 pm »
Time to retire my aging almost 5 yrs old tablet, use tablet "a lot" for reading, especially datasheets.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6797 on: July 15, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »
Pulled trigger on one of these little beauties today, it will be with me tomorrow, more voltnuttery toys to play with  :-DMM

How you getting on with your new toy buddy?

The only thing I wish was different with mine is the diode test, I wish it had a bit more kick! Mine pushes 3V give or take a tiny bit. my older fluke 177 pushes 7V+ which is awesome and my 289 does around 5v which is decent and bearable! Other than that I find it an awesome beasty and very quick.
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6798 on: July 15, 2018, 08:35:55 pm »
I got 3 Wera precision screwdrivers, a couple of sets of flush cutters and a new set of tweezers! Crap!  :D

Hope the postie has to chap me to deliver a LOAD of stuffs tomorrow morning....we'll see....we can dream right???   :=\
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6799 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:39 pm »
Pulled trigger on one of these little beauties today, it will be with me tomorrow, more voltnuttery toys to play with  :-DMM

How you getting on with your new toy buddy?

The only thing I wish was different with mine is the diode test, I wish it had a bit more kick! Mine pushes 3V give or take a tiny bit. my older fluke 177 pushes 7V+ which is awesome and my 289 does around 5v which is decent and bearable! Other than that I find it an awesome beasty and very quick.

I like it a lot but it only pushes out 2.94v on diode test which is low, my 3466A does 4.66v, Flukes 25 and 27 give 2.48v, my cheap Bside ADM08A is 3.22V, Proster VC97 only has 1.52V, Robin OM840 2.79V and lastly Philips PM2521 3.55V.

I find the backlight to be a bit flaky on the left side of the screen to a bit strange considering the rest of the performance is (apart form diode test) is right up there with meters many classes above it.

Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf