Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754628 times)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7350 on: October 24, 2018, 02:19:01 pm »
It's nice, but is it using a full digit for just the decimal point?
Yeah, that caught me by surprise...
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7351 on: October 24, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »
...it followed me home?

LOL. Well, if something's going to follow you home, that's a nice one to do so.

It's nice, but is it using a full digit for just the decimal point?

Yeah, that caught me by surprise...

At least it's got plenty of digits to spare. :-DMM
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7352 on: October 24, 2018, 02:50:58 pm »
Surprisingly it is only a 8.5 digit meter though.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7353 on: October 24, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »
Digits...on the display. ;)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7354 on: October 24, 2018, 03:41:47 pm »
Digits...on the display. ;)
Yep, all the others are there for other purposes.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7355 on: October 24, 2018, 04:52:33 pm »
4 Sega Game Gears and 1 mainboard/lcd, 2 repaired and working and the board has a dyeing lcd (column drivers) 2 more to test

2 fibre glass pens

20 2SB1302

And a parcel that has gone missing for the last week - presumed stolen

Online Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7356 on: October 24, 2018, 07:25:56 pm »
My Atari 600XL won't boot anymore.
So I pre-ordered an XBOX one X with RDR2 for coming friday  :-DD

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7357 on: October 24, 2018, 07:50:29 pm »
Adopted a cat from my local shelter.

We have 3, all rescues.  And, as they say, the only reason we have 3 is that my wife would turn us all out if I brought another one in.  At least, that's what she says...

The following users thanked this post: blueskull, Cubdriver

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7358 on: October 24, 2018, 10:59:25 pm »
I love that blue display, reminds me of my Passat I used to have. Blue seems to a great colour for digital displays.
Blue is weird. In many ways it’s actually a terrible color for displays, especially pure (monochromatic) blue, like most blue LEDs, since that’s the lowest-contrast primary color, as our eyes are the least sensitive to it. That’s why blue LED displays are so annoying. But VFD blue is not monochromatic, it’s usually closer to teal, so it contains a lot of green and a bit of red, too. So it can be excellent.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7359 on: October 24, 2018, 11:27:41 pm »
I love that blue display, reminds me of my Passat I used to have. Blue seems to a great colour for digital displays.
Blue is weird. In many ways it’s actually a terrible color for displays, especially pure (monochromatic) blue, like most blue LEDs, since that’s the lowest-contrast primary color, as our eyes are the least sensitive to it. That’s why blue LED displays are so annoying. But VFD blue is not monochromatic, it’s usually closer to teal, so it contains a lot of green and a bit of red, too. So it can be excellent.
That's strange I always that that blue was the colour that human eyes are sensitive to and hence why emergency vehicles tend to have blue lights on them?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7360 on: October 24, 2018, 11:35:32 pm »
Human eyes are most sensitive to green and it is the last colour you lose in an accident such as a chemical into the eyes. I was told that is why emergency showers / eye wash stations on industrial sites have green lights above them.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7361 on: October 25, 2018, 02:31:29 am »
Green is the color we're most sensitive to, I've read. If you want to read a ton of research on the relative merits of different color LED displays I highly recommend going to PubMed and plugging in terms like "blue LED" and you'll find a bunch of stuff. What I found to be the most interesting is that some colors are apparently good for your health, while others are demonstrably not. What you said, tooki, has the ring of truth to it to me. (bright) blue LEDs literally hurt my eyes, while VFD light, and also green ones, totally different. Its relaxing. Also, the green ones seem to last longer. I have a night light that has a bunch of green LEDs in it thats been running pretty much continuously for years and it doesn't appear to have gotten any dimmer at all. Which is pretty amazing.

That's strange I always that that blue was the colour that human eyes are sensitive to and hence why emergency vehicles tend to have blue lights on them?
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7362 on: October 25, 2018, 04:54:46 am »

The blue colour of emergency vehicle lighting is somehow related to the little fuss our countries had nearly 80 years ago...

In Germany, the blue light was introduced in 1933. In order to meet the requirements of air-raid protection (blackout), the police vehicles were then specified to be equipped with blue light, since blue light has the highest scatter in the atmosphere and was therefore not visible to bombers at high altitudes.
In the same year, the fire brigades were equipped with the blue light, too.
The introduction of the flashing light or the rotating beacon instead of a calm glowing light was only in the 1950s.

Much more important today: The blue colour is not used in any other traffic sign or lighting.
Therefor very easy and fast recognizable.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Zucca, tooki, bitseeker, Specmaster

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7363 on: October 25, 2018, 02:54:57 pm »
Much more important today: The blue colour is not used in any other traffic sign or lighting.
Thanks for the info.
Just FYI, I think you mean “traffic signals”, aka “traffic lights” (Ampeln), and those never use blue. Signs are the printed things (Strassenschilder), and those most certainly are routinely made in blue.

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7364 on: October 26, 2018, 04:16:42 am »
Thanks for the info.
Just FYI, I think you mean “traffic signals”, aka “traffic lights” (Ampeln), and those never use blue. Signs are the printed things (Strassenschilder), and those most certainly are routinely made in blue.

Sure. I apologize. My "dumb" fault.  :palm:  |O |O |O
I stand to be corrected. It is all about traffic lights and lighting in traffic, of course.
Every traffic sign regarding the destination of highways (Autobahnen) is blue with white lettering on it, for example. Some other "normal" traffic signs, too.

But I asume: That´s enough OT...

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7366 on: October 26, 2018, 07:16:58 am »
Thanks for the info.

Then you've never been to Japan.

McBryce.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:18:53 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7367 on: October 26, 2018, 10:45:20 am »
The lights here in Japan are green (well, to me anyway :) ), but they call it blue.

I'll point out a random green light or green thing to my (Japanese) wife and friends and they'll say it's midori (green), I point to the same colour green traffic light and they'll say aoi (blue). However, the Japanese word for blue also encompasses a lot of what we would call green too.
The use of midori as green as a separate colour instead as a shade of blue only really became common post WWII. Ancient Japanese had no distinction between blue and green at all.

I think the lights were bluer in times past, but they are definitely green now with the LED's being used these days, I guess the name just stuck.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7368 on: October 26, 2018, 11:46:02 am »
I haven't seen the blue traffic lights in many years to be honest. There used to be a lot more of them. Since they swapped to LEDs I think they are all green (at least where I tend to be between Tokyo and Nagoya), but the older ones were definitely blue as can be seen in the picture I attached. I think there are also parts of China where blue is still used.

They are also still "sideways", as far as Europeans would be concerned.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7369 on: October 26, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Then you've never been to Japan.
It’s true, I’ve never been to Japan. (Sadly! I wish to change this.) But traffic light colors are determined by international accord, and it’s red/yellow/green. That it’s often a bluish green (as it was in many US traffic lights, too, until LED came along) doesn’t change that it’s still green.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2013/02/25/language/the-japanese-traffic-light-blues-stop-on-red-go-on-what/#.W9OJtRqxWhA

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7370 on: October 26, 2018, 09:46:51 pm »
I haven't seen the blue traffic lights in many years to be honest. There used to be a lot more of them. Since they swapped to LEDs I think they are all green (at least where I tend to be between Tokyo and Nagoya), but the older ones were definitely blue as can be seen in the picture I attached. I think there are also parts of China where blue is still used.

They are also still "sideways", as far as Europeans would be concerned.
Just as an aside, in USA you occasionally see the horizontal style, too!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7371 on: October 26, 2018, 11:02:52 pm »
I ordered 100 of these little tactile switches today. ;D
Who let Murphy in?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7372 on: October 26, 2018, 11:56:14 pm »
I ordered 100 of these little tactile switches today. ;D
Oooooh, two-pin! That’s unusual!

Offline chimerahitman

• Contributor
« Reply #7373 on: October 27, 2018, 12:01:39 am »
I think I have a reason to why Japanese traffic lights are blueish.

Here's my hypothesis: Maybe when incandescent lights were used,  blue lenses were used so that with the yellow incandescence it would make 'green'. Then when they retrofitted LED bulbs, be it green or white, the different colors would appear. Giving the blue-greenish tint or the blue tint. Not to be confused to the newer and modern installs where the whole light is just an array of green, yellow, or red LEDs. 

I have seen city maintenance taking one apart and the incandescent bulbs painted in the specific color even thought the lens had a color to it. It was off so I couldn't see if it was green or blue.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 12:03:33 am by chimerahitman »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf