Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2755017 times)

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #7400 on: October 30, 2018, 04:55:02 am »
Just bought a TDS2MM comms/maths module for my TDS210 scope.

Now I can do some fft stuff and take pretty screenshots and data dumps from the scope instead of using my phone camera to photograph the screen.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #7401 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:15 am »
A "Card Phone", not to be confused with "Phone Card" which I collected in my youth... 

Quite a neat little phone, has a battery disconnect switch too, thought it might be handy to leave in the glovebox with a pre-paid long-expiry sim in it.

Thought about leaving it my wallet, but sitting on a lithium-ion battery probably not a good idea, although the case does seem fairly robust.  It's about 5mm thick 85mm tall and 50mm wide.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7402 on: October 30, 2018, 06:35:00 am »
Oh cool, is that a similar idea to those emergency phones that run on 2x AA size batteries?

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7403 on: October 30, 2018, 06:54:30 am »
I broke down and ordered a GPSDO,  wall wart to power it, a Extron ADA 6 300MX HV distribution amplifier, and a scanned user/repair manual for the  HP 5385a counter I bought a couple of weeks ago.

I'm going to have to figure a way to get the antennae to the roof.  My lab is in the basement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPSDO-Symmetricom-Inside-GPS-10MHz-1PPS-GPS-Send-GPS-antenna/263458624856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amplifier-Exton-ADA-6-300MX-HV-/332848084362?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=MeAU486ZfG%252FwCEZimOtPa%252FQmyG8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:55:38 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7404 on: October 30, 2018, 07:59:51 am »
Just bought a TDS2MM comms/maths module for my TDS210 scope.

Now I can do some fft stuff and take pretty screenshots and data dumps from the scope instead of using my phone camera to photograph the screen.
Cool, how much did you pay for it? I gave looking for one but so far they have been more expensive than the scope was so left them.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7405 on: October 30, 2018, 08:03:10 am »
Spare blades for this razor cutter. The interesting part is the cutter, itself. Great for all sorts of electronic uses... I particularly like them for separating plastic "tree" parts... Header pin strips, etc. Clean separations, perfect, every time. Mine are the smaller of the two sizes of the Craftsman brand. Old Model 37300.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7406 on: October 30, 2018, 10:48:08 am »
Cool, how much did you pay for it? I gave looking for one but so far they have been more expensive than the scope was so left them.

About $150 shipped from ebay, a bit cheaper if you are in the US probably.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273516247147

Still a bit expensive, but they cost what they cost.. No way I'd pay the $400-odd some sellers ask for...
It's cheaper than a new Rigol anyway, plus the Tek scope is rated to 300V Cat I/Cat II and 150v Cat III, the Rigol is 300V CAT I, 100V CAT II.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:54:43 am by TERRA Operative »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7407 on: October 30, 2018, 10:50:17 am »
That's what I feared, almost twice the price of the scopes and I've 4 brought scopes so far and sold 2. It seems stupidly expensive by comparison :palm:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:10:38 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7408 on: October 30, 2018, 10:58:23 am »
Here in Japan the TDS2xx scopes are still rather expensive...

https://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/search?p=Tektronix+tds220

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7409 on: October 30, 2018, 11:45:20 am »
Doing the conversion that equates to approx £175 as at today's exchange rate, thats just mental money.
Who let Murphy in?

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #7410 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:22 am »
Yeah, luckily I got my TDS210 for free from a friend who worked at a university. He nabbed a few when they were upgrading to newer scopes. :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7411 on: October 30, 2018, 12:11:51 pm »
Lucky you, thats a fantastic result there.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7412 on: October 30, 2018, 12:22:24 pm »
Treated my self to a new meter Fluke 115 and Lead set (fluke promo) to replace my old faithful radioshack meter that's 25+ years old

Edit. the lead set was £20odd quid (plus vat) on the price of the meter as a promo - didn't realise its £80 worth

5x 54 pin 0.5 FPC

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:35:25 pm by bob225 »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7413 on: October 30, 2018, 10:24:28 pm »
Yeah, luckily I got my TDS210 for free from a friend who worked at a university. He nabbed a few when they were upgrading to newer scopes. :)

Very nice. That certainly relieves the pain of the comm/math module.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #7414 on: October 31, 2018, 03:59:57 am »
Some 50W LEDs in this nice format I hadn't seen before at this power.
  https://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-High-Power-COB-LED-Lamp-beads-White-Red-Green-Blue-with-60-degree-Lens/232590344184

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a reflector and external lens set suitable for these yet. Hopefully soon.

The lens dome on these appears spherical, is 22mm dia, and made of fairly rigid silicone.
All the lenses are clear, with the color-shifting phosphors in a thin layer over the LEDs. So of course the LED chip array is quite visible when running. At low power anyway, I don't expect looking at it directly at 50W would be possible without filters.
I haven't run them at full power yet.

Much like the 50W square LEDs, I bet the red ones can't actually take 50W and will burn the phosphor if you try.

Added: Oh, and some 14mm ID silicone tubing arrived. Needed for that IBM punch card reader restoration.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 04:28:52 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #7415 on: October 31, 2018, 05:55:14 am »
IPhone SE.
Because it is the only modern smartphone that fits in the company boiler suit’s breast pocket with the flap buttoned down.
Because dropping your phone in 3000L of 80C oil when checking crankshaft deflection is not good.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline Moonbase

• Contributor
« Reply #7416 on: October 31, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
Added: Oh, and some 14mm ID silicone tubing arrived. Needed for that IBM punch card reader restoration.

Wow. Reminds me of back in the ’70s, in university, we had to fight for a place on one of the five card punch stations we had … And of course, a good programmer would never number his cards … and promptly drop the card trough with 1,200 cards in … doh!  ;D :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7417 on: October 31, 2018, 12:46:43 pm »
I just got the last in stock ANENG smd tweezers for $6 from Banggood.  I have been wanting a pair so it was time.  There are a bunch of good reviews so we will see when it comes.

"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7418 on: October 31, 2018, 02:27:47 pm »
I have one of those from Banggood, their not the best around but they do a reasonable enough job, lust make sure that the solder joint is clean enough before testing if doing it in circuit as any flux residue etc will result in extra pressure being applied and then the contact tips get bent.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7419 on: October 31, 2018, 03:12:57 pm »
I got those tweezers few years back but do not use them. It does not feel natural.
I find the two hand probe method work much faster and better, perhaps if you are used to eat with chopsticks the tweezers will feel more familiar in use (no offence intended just an objective remark).

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7420 on: October 31, 2018, 03:44:25 pm »
Got some leisure reading before my trip to Hong Kong.

Offline Moonbase

• Contributor
« Reply #7421 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:26 pm »
I just got the last in stock ANENG smd tweezers for $6 from Banggood.  I have been wanting a pair so it was time.  There are a bunch of good reviews so we will see when it comes.
I got two sets of those, and both were horribly corroded at the tips. :-( After some thorough cleaning with contact spray and an old toothbrush they work halfways ok, though.

I actually use these SMD measuring tweezers quite a lot, anyone good a recommendation for GOOD ones?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7422 on: October 31, 2018, 05:37:48 pm »
I got two sets of those, and both were horribly corroded at the tips. :-( After some thorough cleaning with contact spray and an old toothbrush they work halfways ok, though.

I actually use these SMD measuring tweezers quite a lot, anyone good a recommendation for GOOD ones?
Yes, if you're into SMD and/of lots of testing of discretes, get some proper Smart Tweezers.
I've had a pair of ST3 for years and they get more use than my DMM.
http://www.smarttweezers.com/st5s/

Expensive, yes, and invaluable !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #7423 on: October 31, 2018, 07:52:20 pm »
Some 50W LEDs in this nice format I hadn't seen before at this power.
  https://www.ebay.com/itm/50W-High-Power-COB-LED-Lamp-beads-White-Red-Green-Blue-with-60-degree-Lens/232590344184

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a reflector and external lens set suitable for these yet. Hopefully soon.

The lens dome on these appears spherical, is 22mm dia, and made of fairly rigid silicone.
All the lenses are clear, with the color-shifting phosphors in a thin layer over the LEDs. So of course the LED chip array is quite visible when running. At low power anyway, I don't expect looking at it directly at 50W would be possible without filters.
I haven't run them at full power yet.

Much like the 50W square LEDs, I bet the red ones can't actually take 50W and will burn the phosphor if you try.

cool

It looks like they used to be a glass lens, and now the "upgraded" models have silicone lens: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LED-Glass-lens-COB-Chip-Lamp-20W-30W-50W-LED-Chip-28-32V-Input-DIY-for/32800893666.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs-50w-5500LM-Molding-Top-LENS-Flip-Chip-COB-LED-Chip-Diodes-Warm-White-Full-Spectrum/32852359835.html
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7424 on: October 31, 2018, 08:21:42 pm »
I have one of those from Banggood, their not the best around but they do a reasonable enough job, lust make sure that the solder joint is clean enough before testing if doing it in circuit as any flux residue etc will result in extra pressure being applied and then the contact tips get bent.

Thanks for the advice on that.  I don't know how often I will use it but for the price it should suffice.

I find the two hand probe method work much faster and better, perhaps if you are used to eat with chopsticks the tweezers will feel more familiar in use (no offence intended just an objective remark).

Funny enough, I am used to eating with chopsticks. ;D  I also have a DER EE DE-5000 that has the same style tweezers, just a better quality.  I have used them and they aren't so bad to use.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf