Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1303326 times)

Offline gamalot

• Frequent Contributor
  • Correct my English
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8025 on: December 27, 2018, 06:22:30 pm »
A cheap preheater.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8026 on: December 27, 2018, 10:14:09 pm »
One of these: Asus 31.5in TFT Monitor, because I was fed up of people telling me how old, dated and small my current monitor looks.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8027 on: December 28, 2018, 12:49:10 am »

What is the value of the resistor you are trying to measure?
About 120R, ±20% ish.
I can measure that easily...
[/quote]

Oh, I'm not sure, I bet you can't measure to ±20% quite as accurately as I can.......
[/quote]
yeah , at worst my Simpson260 is a few percent accurate , everything else is much lower...
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8028 on: December 29, 2018, 05:21:18 am »
The cheapest nastiest clamp meter I could find on evilbay (allegedly an Australian seller) >:D Way under $10usd and in what I think appropriately LEMON yellow. Will the smoke come out?? Super secret squirrel project for its innards.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order :)

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8029 on: December 29, 2018, 10:56:12 am »
After weighing up the performance vs. price, I decided to get one of these (HTi HT-18 220x160 thermal imaging camera) rather than a secondhand Flir. Hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully it will arrive before/during the Christmas break so I have some time to explore it. I've seen all the hacking options, but I intend to leave this in its original state. If I like it enough, I may get a second one for a hack project. I still have a Lepton sensor from a Flir One here that I never got around messing with.

McBryce.

The camera arrived today and I'm duly impressed. I can highly recommend this to anyone looking to add a Thermal camera to their TEA affliction required test equipment collection.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #8030 on: December 29, 2018, 02:11:53 pm »
I can highly recommend this to anyone looking to add a Thermal camera to their TEA affliction required test equipment collection.

McBryce.

A few pics from a working pcb. (motherboard perhaps?) would be nice.

Planning to go the same Ht-18 route. :palm:
Agilent 34465A, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Voltcraft VC 940 and M-Audio Audiophile 192

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8031 on: December 29, 2018, 04:01:17 pm »
I can highly recommend this to anyone looking to add a Thermal camera to their TEA affliction required test equipment collection.

McBryce.

A few quick random ones....

The first one is an Arduino Uno R3 taken from approx 15cm. The second one is my new monitor (Asus VA327H) taken from 1.5m. Both taken with the least amount of real video mixed in.
Maybe we need to start a proper thread for the HT-18 (if there isn't one already).

McBryce.

Edit: One more, Arduino with more video blended in...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 04:13:19 pm by McBryce »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8032 on: December 29, 2018, 04:24:43 pm »
Is it a bit noisy or is that just that specific palette mode? I know some appear a lot noisier than others.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8033 on: December 29, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »
It's definitely noisier when you go below the recommended focal distance (500mm), but at distances that it can focus I'd put it above Seek and around the same as Flir, however, I suspect Flir do some pre-processing trickery before sending it to the screen. And... A Flir (even with lower resolution) will cost a lot more than the €299 that the HT-18 costs.

Bryce.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8034 on: December 29, 2018, 06:44:21 pm »
It's definitely noisier when you go below the recommended focal distance (500mm), but at distances that it can focus I'd put it above Seek and around the same as Flir, however, I suspect Flir do some pre-processing trickery before sending it to the screen. And... A Flir (even with lower resolution) will cost a lot more than the €299 that the HT-18 costs.

Bryce.
Yes, I remember thinking to myself that the Seek appears to be rather noisy in the images I've seen.

Online Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8035 on: December 29, 2018, 10:02:15 pm »

McBryce.

They can be very handy.  This is a photo of a bad cap on a Fluke calibrator - the camera showed what was amiss almost immediately.

-Pat

<edit to add - camera is a Flir One on an iPhone.>
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8036 on: December 30, 2018, 12:19:57 pm »
Looks like there's a thread for the HT-18 here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/chinese-ht-18-220x160-8-hz-handheld-thermal-camera/msg2073172/#msg2073172

I'll post more pictures there for anyone who's interested.

McBryce.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. NZ Siglent Distributor
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8037 on: December 31, 2018, 04:07:43 am »
A few days ago while looking for domestic stuff a a Perth Bunnings outlet, saw this screwdriver set that looks the ‘bees knees’ for those little odd jobs that need obscure drivers....now I’ve got a set with them all in one package.  :)
For just 20 bucks I couldn’t resist.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-60-piece-screwdriver-set_p0057163

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:33:55 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8038 on: December 31, 2018, 06:18:38 am »
A few days ago while looking for domestic stuff a a Perth Bunnings outlet, saw this screwdriver set that looks the ‘bees knees’ for those little odd jobs that need obscure drivers....now I’ve got a set with them all in one package.  :)
For just 20 bucks I couldn’t resist.
I’ll add a better pic later.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-60-piece-screwdriver-set_p0057163

For 20 sheets that's a nice little set!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there! 8)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
SM74611 Smart Diode
« Reply #8039 on: December 31, 2018, 09:31:20 am »
Bunch of so called TI "Smart Diode" capable of 15 Amp with forward voltage at 26mV (0.026 V), of course there is always a catch with this low VF::)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:41:29 am by BravoV »

Offline DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8040 on: December 31, 2018, 11:20:13 am »
Not actually today:

- An army of AUGAT sockets, like 3 heavy divisions of 24 pins and some fast 16 pins along with (non-pictured) super heavy 40 and 28 pins, costed all together less then then 15EUR.
- A OCXO upgrade PCB for HP5385A from our forum member Miti and some 10MHz OCXOs from the famous Chinese seller Queenie ;). The OCXO are still burning happily and I'm waiting for their 1000 hours to start measuring them.
- Some 16,384MHz crystals, 5K ceramic trimpots along with some 280K reasonable stable resistors and some PTFE soldering points for my never ending poor-man calibrator project.
- An unexpected nice surprise, one forum member send me some famous voltage reference boards for the cost of shipping, thanks you know who you are  ^-^ and if you reach Mannheim you WILL get drunk  ;D , I even started one of the LM399 (the other one it's a bit strange, the heater works, but the diode has a very stable but just 1/10 of the normal output voltage  :-// ?!?). The LTZ1000 are still on the "too poor to get the LTZ parts" lane.
- A (non-pictured) PREMA 6000 multimeter, advertised as with scanner and defective, got one perfectly working and with no scanner, no complaints here  :-DD.
- Ca. 3Kg of NOS resistors, 0,125-2W, not particularly high quality, but extremely cheap and not chinesified (terminal are thick and copper, usw).
- A Kelvin-Varley voltage divider DEKAPOT DP1211, see the Metrology thread for pictures and a tear-down, thanks again Ulf for helping with the shipping, the beers are waiting  :-+.

Actually today, being pissed off that I've lost on of my monocular loupes:

Hopefully some of these Chinesium stuff will be useful.

Cheers, DC1MC

Online MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8041 on: December 31, 2018, 03:29:32 pm »
Thanks to Beanflying for helping me get some no longer sold, reliable sata to ide converters from an Australian seller who couldn't deliver internationally and I couldn't find them anywhere else.

I am grateful that there is great help on this board for all sorts of things.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:32:42 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8042 on: December 31, 2018, 06:11:41 pm »
Some TEA again..

After acquiring a Fluke PM6881 universal 2 channel counter six weeks ago I spent my X-Mas money (and some more) today on a checked and fully working HP 53132A universal 2 channel counter (last cal'd up to 2016..).
Needless to say I don't really need it...   :palm:    :-DD
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 06:33:30 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8043 on: December 31, 2018, 08:01:54 pm »
OK then, not quite today but a couple of days ago I decided to buy a set of smart tweezers to make working with SMD stuff easier and decided that maybe it might be better to avoid both ends of the market and go for something a bit more, middle of the road sort of thing so I chose these chappies.

More info when I get them delivered.
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8044 on: December 31, 2018, 11:04:36 pm »
Had an arrival of a Heatshrink pack so I needed to make a better storage solution for it. Required the purchase of another bottle of Glenfiddich and consumption of a bit of the contents while the printer made the joiners. #winwin

The little baggy of leftovers will finish up in a drawer at this stage. This tree should stop multiple bits of the same colour or diameter getting started 'in theory'.

I might add another hole or two at intermediate heights so the bits sit closer to the tube.

edit - added a more complete shot including hotsnotted joiners and holes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:07:02 am by beanflying »

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8045 on: January 02, 2019, 02:40:51 am »
Why didn't you make the lid a cup to hold all the short bits?

Doubles as a strawberry planter as well.

Mine is a length of 90mm stormwater PVC pipe, cheaper o than printing the 3D bits but maybe not as stylish! I do like the size holes up the side. :-)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8046 on: January 02, 2019, 02:50:21 am »
Why didn't you make the lid a cup to hold all the short bits?

I did think about it. Currently the baggy is sitting under the lid as the tube is fairly full so it doesn't drop down. Maybe a MK II Lid is needed  :)

The holes are well worth it sorting through a mixed tube to get to the started lengths just doesn't work.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8047 on: January 02, 2019, 03:11:10 am »
An emergency button

Hopefully it's the last time I will deal unsafely with live 220Vac voltages...  :-X

Just remember those contacts in there are not rated for continuous operation at 10A, and also they are not fail safe when disconnecting into a high current. They tend to weld together under heavy load, so best used in conjunction with a sensitive 16A AC1 rated contactor. Those at least will, when paired with the appropriate overload, provide good protection. Hope you also got some LED power on indicators to go with them.
The contactor should not be operated correctly, it is a safety button with locking, these buttons are used to control the circuit breaker trip coil - the most reliable disconnection -   - the coil acts on the circuit breaker locking mechanism

Correct, these emergency stop buttons are only rated for the coil current only and should never ever be used as a means of breaking the mains power supply directly, only via a suitably rated contactor

I know this is a week ago but a pair of very similar ones arrived in the mail today. Quick non destructive teardown for information. Allegedly 15A rated  :-DD Maybe 3A would be closer and even then ? This pair is going on my CNC via a properly rated relay to the power supply/vfd.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8048 on: January 02, 2019, 07:55:37 am »
An emergency button

Hopefully it's the last time I will deal unsafely with live 220Vac voltages...  :-X

Just remember those contacts in there are not rated for continuous operation at 10A, and also they are not fail safe when disconnecting into a high current. They tend to weld together under heavy load, so best used in conjunction with a sensitive 16A AC1 rated contactor. Those at least will, when paired with the appropriate overload, provide good protection. Hope you also got some LED power on indicators to go with them.
The contactor should not be operated correctly, it is a safety button with locking, these buttons are used to control the circuit breaker trip coil - the most reliable disconnection -   - the coil acts on the circuit breaker locking mechanism

Correct, these emergency stop buttons are only rated for the coil current only and should never ever be used as a means of breaking the mains power supply directly, only via a suitably rated contactor

I know this is a week ago but a pair of very similar ones arrived in the mail today. Quick non destructive teardown for information. Allegedly 15A rated  :-DD Maybe 3A would be closer and even then ? This pair is going on my CNC via a properly rated relay to the power supply/vfd.
Hopefully a contactor, not a relay as relays tends to have silver contacts and can evaporate with arcing caused by motor currents. Contractors on the hand gave silver oxide cadium contacts to withstand the arcing.
Who let Murphy in?

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8049 on: January 02, 2019, 08:10:16 am »
It is in this case it is a contactor I salvaged out of a coffee machine they are designed to cycle 20-30 times an hour for years. Contacts unknown but it is a 3phase one so it should do fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf