Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2789959 times)

Offline legacy

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8400 on: June 25, 2019, 04:49:43 pm »
Nice ferrite rod chokes in those buck regulators. You're course is all about about wide band transmitters it seems.

I don't have an RLC meter to measore them, sorry  :-//

(maybe I can find the inductive value in the schematic. I haven't looked yet)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8401 on: June 25, 2019, 06:09:29 pm »
I just bought yet another used PC. This machine features an Intel Atom D2550, 4GB RAM and 8GB SATA DOM. I am using this machine as my new home router, offloading the router task from my NAS. Also this allows me to shut down my NAS without losing Internet access. The NAS machine has been a bit too loud recently, so get that noise out is certainly helpful.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:11:38 pm by technix »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8402 on: June 25, 2019, 10:03:19 pm »
I just bought yet another used PC. This machine features an Intel Atom D2550, 4GB RAM and 8GB SATA DOM. I am using this machine as my new home router, offloading the router task from my NAS.
What software will you be using ?
Does it have Firewall capabilities ?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8403 on: June 26, 2019, 02:26:06 am »
I also bought yet another PC. The local surplus store (Tanner Electronics) was selling several NIB PCJr with several accessories (joysticks, decent keyboard, modem, etc.) for an absolute steal of US$60.00. I almost cried when I saw their ad at Facebook given I was in the middle of a trip. Fast forward 1-1/2 week, I stop by to buy something else and thought about asking if they still had one. Jim sold me his last one that was still NOS but no box and added a few extra goodies. I am a happy man!  :-+

(yeah, I know the PCJr was not really great, but I am really nostalgic and will make a good company to both my Tandy 1400LT and Toshiba T2000 and other older Z80-based computers).

I will upload pictures soon.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8404 on: June 26, 2019, 04:42:24 am »
I just bought yet another used PC. This machine features an Intel Atom D2550, 4GB RAM and 8GB SATA DOM. I am using this machine as my new home router, offloading the router task from my NAS.
What software will you be using ?
Does it have Firewall capabilities ?
The base OS is Ubuntu Server 19.04. Routing and firewall is handled using iptables in Linux kernel. There is also PiHole for network-wide ad blocking and FreeRADIUS for my WPA2 Enterpise setup.

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #8405 on: June 26, 2019, 11:17:28 am »
Yes, yes, another 8.5-digit DMM. This time legendary Datron/Wavetek 1281. None of this fangled Fluke stuff...  :-+

Warming up already.  :-DMM

YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: VK5RC, deadlylover, hwj-d, syau

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #8406 on: June 26, 2019, 11:32:17 am »
Yes, yes, another 8.5-digit DMM. This time legendary Datron/Wavetek 1281. None of this fangled Fluke stuff...  :-+

I'm beginning to find this really unfair...  ;)

:-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8407 on: June 26, 2019, 11:33:08 am »
Is that an Australian 3458A?

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #8408 on: June 26, 2019, 11:53:33 am »
 :-DD

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8409 on: June 26, 2019, 07:54:19 pm »
While rummaging around in the basement I found an amusing item I bought at Target several years ago...

Look carefully at the inches scale. Needless to say Target soon stopped carrying it. Don't know why... it's perfect for measuring jumper wires on a solderless breadboard.

(0.1" between holes, 0.3" across the center divide, 0.27" to a power rail)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8410 on: June 26, 2019, 08:00:16 pm »
I made mistake as I didn't "read" properly and didn't bother to look at the datasheets and thought they were 7200rpm.
They also downspin to save power. Oh dear.

Now it is too late at the time when I was investigating why they spin down.

Some sites say 5400rpm (now I know) and others I think I ordered it from boast "up to 5x faster than with traditional 7200-RPM hard drives." that I misread and should have been more careful.

Not the end of world as I already have something planned for them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:03:35 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8411 on: June 27, 2019, 04:20:09 am »
While rummaging around in the basement I found an amusing item I bought at Target several years ago...

Look carefully at the inches scale. Needless to say Target soon stopped carrying it. Don't know why... it's perfect for measuring jumper wires on a solderless breadboard.

(0.1" between holes, 0.3" across the center divide, 0.27" to a power rail)

Rules like that were common as "school rulers" in Australia (& maybe many other previously "Imperial" system countries).
Graph paper was also normally scaled at 0.1" intervals.

Workshop rules were always in intervals 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 , etc, inches.

After "Metrication", initially the use of "hybrid" scales like you have were frowned upon, but the school rulers still needed the 0.1" intervals, so after much lobbying, the Metrication Board allowed them.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Offline mrjoda

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8412 on: June 27, 2019, 06:30:55 am »
I bought a new camera yesterday. Finally. And som gear a few week ago. I just love the Knipex gear, they are like pokemon : Gotta Catch 'Em All  ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:38:59 am by mrjoda »

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8413 on: June 27, 2019, 06:33:15 am »
I bought a new camera yesterday. Finally. And som gear a few week ago. I just love Knipex, they are like pokemon : Gotta Catch 'Em All  ;D

The Knipex costs a fortune!  :-//

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:55:44 am by CiscERsang »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8414 on: June 27, 2019, 07:01:12 am »
I bought a new camera yesterday. Finally. And som gear a few week ago. I just love Knipex, they are like pokemon : Gotta Catch 'Em All  ;D

They cost less than €20 and are worth every penny of it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8415 on: June 27, 2019, 07:39:45 am »

They cost less than €20 and are worth every penny of it.

McBryce.

Generally speaking, the Knipex is very expensive stuff. For example, to pay $230 for a crimping tool which is supposed to be used a few times a year. That looks quite ridiculously.  :palm:
So, I preffer to buy something similar from Taiwan, not more than $40~50... for the same stuff.  :-+ I will most likely lose that somewhere at field than It will became worn or broken.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:34:59 am by CiscERsang »

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8416 on: June 27, 2019, 07:51:37 am »

That's 1 cool pile of meters buddy!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8417 on: June 27, 2019, 11:20:48 am »
I love the huge digits on the Datron displays.  ^-^

Ordered a Nepros stubby 1/4" drive ratchet among a few other things. You can attach a breaker bar to this which kind of makes it act like a flex head ratchet, very useful for hard to access bolts.

It wasn't cheap but at least rebuild kits are available should I ever break it.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8418 on: June 27, 2019, 03:01:26 pm »
That's a pretty slick little ratchet!  Nice!   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #8419 on: June 27, 2019, 03:13:49 pm »
That's a pretty slick little ratchet!  Nice!   :-+
-Pat

Agreed.  How have I made it this far in life without having one of those?!  I've got crowsfoot wrenches, but not that.  dammit.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8420 on: June 27, 2019, 03:26:02 pm »
Generally speaking, the Knipex is very expensive stuff. For example, to pay $230 for a crimping tool which is supposed to be used a few times a year. That looks quite ridiculously.  :palm:
So, I preffer to buy something similar from Taiwan, not more than $40~50... for the same stuff.  :-+ I will most likely lose that somewhere at field than It will became worn or broken.
Knipex has way cheaper crimping tools. In fact, you don't have to spend $40 for the cheaper models. You just picked the ultra fancy luxury model. Knipex is not cheap, but also not that expensive.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8421 on: June 27, 2019, 05:15:17 pm »
Knipex has way cheaper crimping tools. In fact, you don't have to spend $40 for the cheaper models. You just picked the ultra fancy luxury model. Knipex is not cheap, but also not that expensive.

Where have you seen a luxury there?  There aren't any gilding and mahogany there. Just steel and plastic.:-DD The price on ebay $250~400.  :palm:

BR

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8422 on: June 27, 2019, 05:38:02 pm »
Where have you seen a luxury there?  There aren't any gilding and mahogany there. Just steel and plastic.:-DD The price on ebay $250~400.  :palm:

BR
If you think a luxury tool means bedazzling something with useless sprinkles and glitter you're probably on the wrong forum. Maybe these are the luxury pliers you seek. ;D

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8423 on: June 27, 2019, 05:43:13 pm »
I have no idea why you are harping on the price of the brand chosen by the other guy... There's nothing new on the world of tooling: a seemingly simple tool can cost hundreds due to other hidden factors tied to downtime (if the tool breaks too easily under continuous heavy usage), warranty/maintenance contracts (on the spot replacements), standard tolerances and/or compliance, type of customer, etc.

3M is known to have these as well:
https://www.newark.com/3m/tr-490/crimp-tool-ratchet-insulated-non/dp/98F6600
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8424 on: June 27, 2019, 05:50:36 pm »

BR
If you think a luxury tool means bedazzling something with useless sprinkles and glitter you're probably on the wrong forum. Maybe these are the luxury pliers you seek. ;D

Suspiciously... You are well aware where these glamourous pliers can be found in Web. Have you ordered them for yourself?  :-DD just for fun, please share a link with me.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 06:48:07 pm by CiscERsang »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf