Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2791494 times)

MarkL, elektryk and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8675 on: August 17, 2019, 06:36:49 pm »
You know you've reached a milestone in your relationship when your wife says: "I hate you. Not only are your boobs bigger than mine, they're perkier too."  :-DD

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8676 on: August 17, 2019, 07:05:07 pm »
This caught my eye -- didn't buy it though. Still might.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8677 on: August 17, 2019, 07:08:12 pm »
You know you've reached a milestone in your relationship when your wife says: "I hate you. Not only are your boobs bigger than mine, they're perkier too."  :-DD

Sure. But at this point, you would have reached a milestone in your own life as well. ;D

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #8678 on: August 17, 2019, 07:44:37 pm »
You know you've reached a milestone in your relationship when your wife says: "I hate you. Not only are your boobs bigger than mine, they're perkier too."
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use 'em.

In my experience thus far, showing cleavage has not gained me any benefits.  Only some "Eww!".  Well, I just need some additional flaunting lessons, to charm the tits off anybody who meets me.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8679 on: August 17, 2019, 07:54:25 pm »

mnem
 :o
More of a gravestone than a milestone!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8680 on: August 18, 2019, 03:08:40 am »
Life is what you do with it; not what other people think.

mnem
Caring about people is much more important.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8681 on: August 18, 2019, 03:29:05 am »
Today's thing of random from a box of treasures. Partial Baggy of Shellac I brought most likely 30+ years ago  :o

Do crushed beetle bodies degrade over decades  :-//

EDIT: If you have to ask  :wtf: shellac has to do with electronics you are clearly to young  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:19:21 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #8682 on: August 18, 2019, 05:31:23 am »
Today's thing of random from a box of treasures. Partial Baggy of Shellac I brought most likely 30+ years ago  :o

(Attachment Link)

EDIT: If you have to ask  :wtf: shellac has to do with electronics you are clearly to young  :-DD

It's for refinishing the old wooden cabinets housing 1920s - late-30s radios, right?   :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8683 on: August 18, 2019, 08:59:41 am »

(Attachment Link)

It's for refinishing the old wooden cabinets housing 1920s - late-30s radios, right?   :P

-Pat

Not far off the mark for it's initial use. I was rebuilding the timber parts of a very old crystal radio. Was also used for keeping the coils likely suspect insulation in operational order. Generally I have used the beetles for timber but from time to time electrical insulation goop it has done well too.

Anyone under the age of 40 (more like 50) ever used them?  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8684 on: August 18, 2019, 11:55:19 am »
Bzzzzt. No longer care, over this forum shit.........ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8685 on: August 18, 2019, 10:00:54 pm »
Today's thing of random from a box of treasures. Partial Baggy of Shellac I brought most likely 30+ years ago  :o      Do crushed beetle bodies degrade over decades?  :-//   EDIT: If you have to ask  :wtf: shellac has to do with electronics you are clearly too young  :-DD

Looks like granola.  :-DD

mnem
Ask the scarab beetles entombed with the Pharaohs...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8686 on: August 19, 2019, 01:15:32 am »
Measuring Glass x 2 (Please DON'T correct my English  :-DD)

I think I'd be disappointed if I had to get used to anything less than a DD Cup, I guess I better make sure my wife stays happy then.....  :-DD

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8687 on: August 19, 2019, 01:20:35 am »
You know you've reached a milestone in your relationship when your wife says: "I hate you. Not only are your boobs bigger than mine, they're perkier too."
It's not the size that matters, it's how you use 'em.

In my experience thus far, showing cleavage has not gained me any benefits.  Only some "Eww!".  Well, I just need some additional flaunting lessons, to charm the tits off anybody who meets me.

I think it all comes down to how you "display" them - the term "weapons of mass distraction" is very apt in my experience.  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8688 on: August 20, 2019, 01:48:33 am »
Yeah.... "distraction".... that sounds good. Let's go widdat! :-DD

Keeping it On-Topic...   

mnem
Because 4 wasn't enough.

Offline japasetelagoas

• Regular Contributor
  • Just an ordinary electronics hobbyist.
« Reply #8689 on: August 20, 2019, 02:46:53 pm »
In case I don't have a proper grounding rod in my lab, can I just plug the green cable that attaches to the ESD mat to the wall outlet's ground?
The endless river...

Online GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8690 on: August 20, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »
In case I don't have a proper grounding rod in my lab, can I just plug the green cable that attaches to the ESD mat to the wall outlet's ground?

That's how I do it.  I grabbed a cheap plug end from the big box hardware store and removed the hot and neutral pins.  I added a small banana jack and put a banana plug on the wire.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8691 on: August 20, 2019, 03:13:25 pm »
I don't think many people have an actual grounding rod in the lab. Just make sure you have ground and not neutral or even live.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8692 on: August 21, 2019, 04:57:43 am »

Yep into the Earth pin on the supply. That said in Oz we have now got earth fault protection switches on the circuits and before that I have lived in older houses that the 'Earth' was not at ground potential  :o Generally only a few volts off but still not zero. Separate ground stakes are better but not always practical.

And back on topic:

I brought $500USD ($800 aupesos inc tax) worth of QHD monitor compromise just for the RGB on the backside :palm: eBay auction: #143355491458 Got it with evilbay discount for what I consider a good price, also in the mix was the soon to be released LG 27GL850-B which is a toss up between them for performance.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8693 on: August 21, 2019, 07:09:08 am »

Just connect the mat to one of those Cordless Anti-Static Wristbands  :-DD

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline CiscERsang

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8694 on: August 21, 2019, 02:36:49 pm »

Yep into the Earth pin on the supply. That said in Oz we have now got earth fault protection switches on the circuits and before that I have lived in older houses that the 'Earth' was not at ground potential  :o Generally only a few volts off but still not zero. Separate ground stakes are better but not always practical.

And back on topic:

I brought $500USD ($800 aupesos inc tax) worth of QHD monitor compromise just for the RGB on the backside :palm: eBay auction: #143355491458 Got it with evilbay discount for what I consider a good price, also in the mix was the soon to be released LG 27GL850-B which is a toss up between them for performance.

It has fancy carbon skis going to the place where keyboard usually located.  :-+

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8695 on: August 21, 2019, 05:51:24 pm »
A pair of Sennheiser MB660  ANC headphones
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/wireless-headset-office-phone-mb-660-uc-ms

I love them ....

Also excellent voice when connected to Phone via BT

/Bingo

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8696 on: August 21, 2019, 05:59:28 pm »
And back on topic:

I think that's a good price for the mix of features: IPS, QHD, HDR, DCI-P3 color space, high refresh rate.

This week I also bought a new monitor, a Philips 326M6FJSB.

It is also QHD (2K) but 32" so it maintains the same-ish DPI as my previous FHD monitor. I paid less (~$300 USD) but everything other than size is lower spec that yours. No HDR, but color gamut is wide, just shy of DCI-P3. Refresh rate of 75 Hz isn't gamer-spec but works for me. My somewhat older RX480 video card can still push all those pixels at 55 to 75 FPS (SW Battlefront 2) and with Freesync, it looks smooth as butter to me. It has "Ambiglow" which is a row of RGB LEDs under the monitor to provide ambient light matching the dominant colors on-screen. Gimicky, but I have not turned it off yet. I had chosen this monitor for the wide gamut, IPS panel, but I really like the Freesync feature that I didn't know I needed until I saw the huge difference it makes.  I had also tried an LG 32" 4K monitor with a VA panel (also DCI-P3 color), but found the colors became too washed-out off-center and couldn't get over that so I returned it.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
« Reply #8697 on: August 21, 2019, 06:18:46 pm »
A cool toy: Siglent SVA1015X

I must say, with the latest firmware improvements it's much more capable than the existent reviews say.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8698 on: August 22, 2019, 04:12:54 pm »

Just connect the mat to one of those Cordless Anti-Static Wristbands  :-DD

McBryce.

:o  :palm:

mnem
I prepared EXPLOSIVE RUNES today.

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8699 on: August 22, 2019, 07:03:00 pm »
Guitar Center had one of these on sale, practically new, for about half of list price.  2kW (4Ω, bridged) that you can pick up with one hand.

(yes, I know - don't turn up the volume with these speakers)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf