Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2789202 times)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8775 on: September 15, 2019, 04:30:49 am »
1. $5 for the FTDI chip plus $1 on external oscillator (I need small size, and there's no non-MEMS oscillators that go down to 2016) is stupid for a cheap DIP-style board.
I am using 3210 size ceramic resonators on my boards for FT232H and FT2232H. Those things have built-in load capacitors so it can be smaller than a 2016 crystal and are usually even cheaper.

2. The Trenz boar came with empty EEPROM. Gowin programmer can talk to an empty FTDI chip (also works even without the EEPROM on SPI bus at all). So the 93C46 only serves product string customization purpose.
If this is the case, I wonder if my Digilent JTAG/SMT2 clone would work...

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8776 on: September 15, 2019, 04:45:20 am »
I recently got a couple of TinyPICO kits, now I just need to figure out what to build with them.  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8777 on: September 16, 2019, 05:28:35 pm »
I requested a personal copy of The Art of Electronics to take home on company dime and expected the bean counters to shoot me down. To my surprise they approved it. I count that as a win. It's a proper tome and I underestimated how much its sheer heft would shift me to a more suitable place on the Dunning-Kruger curve.

The following users thanked this post: rx8pilot, Mortymore

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #8778 on: September 16, 2019, 11:14:11 pm »
I underestimated how much its sheer heft would shift me to a more suitable place on the Dunning-Kruger curve.

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline admiralk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8779 on: September 17, 2019, 01:23:25 am »
I think I did good today.
837462-0
The Goldstar was $50 and looks like new. The EZ was $25 and has at least one wonky channel, but I mainly got it for the function generator.I am really going to have to build that cabinet for desk now though.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8780 on: September 18, 2019, 03:23:08 am »
I am using 3210 size ceramic resonators on my boards for FT232H and FT2232H. Those things have built-in load capacitors so it can be smaller than a 2016 crystal and are usually even cheaper.

On a good day, that will work, but that's not guaranteed.

Murate Ceralock (just used as a reference) has 0.07% initial error, 0.11% tempco and 0.07% aging, making it, for the worst case, 0.25% from rated nominal frequency.

USB 2.0 high speed requires 500ppm (0.05%) device clock accuracy, and the FTDI chip particularly requests 50ppm. Either way, using a Ceralock is betting on sheer luck.
So far my sample size of three worked just fine.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8781 on: September 18, 2019, 03:36:53 am »
Brought a 50% discounted set of smaller vicegrips from E14 https://au.element14.com/duratool/d00114/locking-plier-4pc/dp/1447413

And a set of big boy Murata Current shunts https://au.element14.com/murata-power-solutions/3020-01103-0/shunt/dp/1498416 Ordered 10, 100 and 500A ones.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Japson sliding variable resistors
« Reply #8782 on: September 18, 2019, 02:57:41 pm »
Hoarding moment strikes again, $3 bucks a piece, and still not sure what to do with it yet.  :palm:

Sliding variable resistors, 10 Ohm max. at 4 Amp.

As usual, shot with TO-220 as reference size.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: Japson sliding variable resistors
« Reply #8783 on: September 18, 2019, 04:47:53 pm »
Hoarding moment strikes again, $3 bucks a piece, and still not sure what to do with it yet.  :palm:

Sliding variable resistors, 10 Ohm max. at 4 Amp.

As usual, shot with TO-220 as reference size.
Nice score! I love those high power parts!!!

I lost count of how many 50, 100W power resistors I got from the local surplus store... :palm:
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #8784 on: September 19, 2019, 03:28:09 am »

I lost count of how many 50, 100W power resistors I got from the local surplus store... :palm:

Thanks, yeah, in the age of miniaturization that everything is so damn small nowadays, I have a weird fetish  :-[ at electronic components that have real weight that I can feel.

Well, with two 160W rheostats, I guess just for giggle, to use these twins to torture my bench PSUs.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8785 on: September 19, 2019, 11:00:07 am »
Cleaning up my watch list items on evilbay and decided I had enough pocket money left for one of these cheap PIC Loggers to try out. eBay auction: #391932720671
Came up in a thread some months ago but not a lot here that I can find.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8786 on: September 19, 2019, 12:47:32 pm »
Cleaning up my watch list items on evilbay and decided I had enough pocket money left for one of these cheap PIC Loggers to try out. eBay auction: #391932720671
Came up in a thread some months ago but not a lot here that I can find.

I found listings searching for "icp12":

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=icp12&_sacat=12576&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_osacat=12576&_odkw=icp12

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:51:15 pm by ledtester »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8787 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:00 pm »
There is also a website https://www.piccircuit.com/shop/ in my case with postage evilbay was a touch cheaper. Software is available here for anyone wanting to take a look.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8788 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:25 pm »
Probably the best alternative in my opinion regarding of having a serial port:

Lost my old one (back when it was only Keyspan in the name, bought in 2006) and some work arrived where I needed and didn't had a serial port adapter available.

From using with a Renishaw QC10 Ballbar System to Rollover Cisco Cables, from NSN MGW/MSS terminal connection to old measurement equipment, it never let me down.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:28:00 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8789 on: September 19, 2019, 03:33:29 pm »

Thanks, yeah, in the age of miniaturization that everything is so damn small nowadays, I have a weird fetish  :-[ at electronic components that have real weight that I can feel.

Well, with two 160W rheostats, I guess just for giggle, to use these twins to torture my bench PSUs.  :-DD
I use mine for this task as well. Also, to torture test my VRLA batteries.

The other day I bought several very large screws + nuts in the same inner diameter of the resistors. They make excellent heatsinks, especially when attached to a metal panel.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8790 on: September 19, 2019, 05:04:43 pm »
Not exactly bought, but I built three FT232H based USB JTAG adapters in the form of USB flash drives. Information taken from Digilent website are used to approximate a Digilent JTAG/SMT2. Target connector implements ARM Cortex Debug Connector for its compact size.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:09:18 pm by technix »

The following users thanked this post: DuPe

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8791 on: September 20, 2019, 10:13:51 am »

(Attachment Link)

Lost my old one (back when it was only Keyspan in the name, bought in 2006) and some work arrived where I needed and didn't had a serial port adapter available.

From using with a Renishaw QC10 Ballbar System to Rollover Cisco Cables, from NSN MGW/MSS terminal connection to old measurement equipment, it never let me down.
Totally. I was working at an Apple dealer in early 1999, just after the original iMac came out, which was the first computer to ditch its legacy ports in favor of USB. With USB peripherals still nascent, and people having assorted existing gear to connect, adapters were a big deal at the time. Keyspan made the only serial adapters that were reliable enough to recommend for most applications. (IIRC, they made some that were RS-422/RS-232 compatible like classic Macs’ onboard serial ports.)

When I was looking into getting a USB-RS-232 adapter recently, I looked for Keyspan and was relieved to discover that the products are still made; at least the company that subsumed Keyspan is a reputable one!

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8792 on: September 20, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Totally. I was working at an Apple dealer in early 1999, just after the original iMac came out, which was the first computer to ditch its legacy ports in favor of USB. With USB peripherals still nascent, and people having assorted existing gear to connect, adapters were a big deal at the time. Keyspan made the only serial adapters that were reliable enough to recommend for most applications. (IIRC, they made some that were RS-422/RS-232 compatible like classic Macs’ onboard serial ports.)

When I was looking into getting a USB-RS-232 adapter recently, I looked for Keyspan and was relieved to discover that the products are still made; at least the company that subsumed Keyspan is a reputable one!
Does this adapter have full HW handshake?

I am always looking for additional suppliers for these adapters, as we never know if a manufacturer will simply kill their models.

I am currently using this Trendnet TU-S9 that has full HW handshake and it works really well, but I never know if/when this will last in production...

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8793 on: September 20, 2019, 03:45:50 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I am always looking for additional suppliers for these adapters, as we never know if a manufacturer will simply kill their models.

I am currently using this Trendnet TU-S9 that has full HW handshake and it works really well, but I never know if/when this will last in production...
There is always the DIY route. FT232H/PL2303/CH340C/HT42B534-SO16/STM32F042F4P6 + MAX3245 = win.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 03:47:39 pm by technix »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8794 on: September 20, 2019, 03:59:36 pm »

Honestly I don't know, I'd ask Tripp-Lite. (Or maybe Black Phoenix can tell?)

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8795 on: September 20, 2019, 04:32:13 pm »
There is always the DIY route. FT232H/PL2303/CH340C/HT42B534-SO16/STM32F042F4P6 + MAX3245 = win.
EDIT: Now that I read that you DIY route with more attention, it will work, although I still keep what I said below.

Prolific chipset converters are wonderful - when they work. They're one of the most problematic ones available and require close matching of the Prolific driver to your system's current service level. Widows updates are known to break Prolific drivers from time to time.

Converters based on the FTDI chipset generally have the least number of issues. One great advantage of FTDI is that if you move the adapter to a different USB port, it generally will not change serial port numbers (but that you guys know a lot more than me).

The Keyspan USA-19HS is the only thing I've ever been able to get to work with all of the devices I needed to use (PLCs, shipping scales, network equipment, Renishaw QC10 Ballbar System, the list goes on). This is because it has an FTDI chip and based around the TI 75LV4737A, so it has a real serial processor, as opposed to a lot of the other brands/models, which use a Prolific chip. The Prolific chips are just emulators and only work about 75% of the time.

I used basically from the generic black smoked plastic adapter with unmarked chips to Belkin ones based in the Prolific chip. They are good for switch connections (Cisco Rollover cable and most networking).

The Tripp Lite / KeySpan have HW handshake yes.

Its based on the TI 75LV4737A Multichannel RS232 Line Driver/Receiver.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:14:19 pm by Black Phoenix »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, tooki

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8796 on: September 20, 2019, 06:37:54 pm »
Another multimeter for the collection,  :palm:
Iso-Tech IDM505, from evilBay for £75 with shipping costs included

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #8797 on: September 20, 2019, 07:41:41 pm »
The Keyspan USA-19HS is the only thing I've ever been able to get to work with all of the devices I needed to use (PLCs, shipping scales, network equipment, Renishaw QC10 Ballbar System, the list goes on). This is because it has an FTDI chip and based around the TI 75LV4737A, so it has a real serial processor, as opposed to a lot of the other brands/models, which use a Prolific chip. The Prolific chips are just emulators and only work about 75% of the time.
This transceiver is quite robust indeed - it really should work well in the wildest environments out there.

I used basically from the generic black smoked plastic adapter with unmarked chips to Belkin ones based in the Prolific chip. They are good for switch connections (Cisco Rollover cable and most networking).
I have a Belkin (forgot the model number, discontinued by now) that works ok. Not everywhere, but still does the job here and there.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8798 on: September 21, 2019, 12:25:23 am »
I have a Belkin (forgot the model number, discontinued by now) that works ok. Not everywhere, but still does the job here and there.

Is the purple grey one that looks like a disk?

This one is not bad in reality, it works great, but is too big.

This one is so, so...

Regarding the Prolific ones, there are fakes one and real ones:

More info:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #8799 on: September 21, 2019, 01:45:27 am »
Prolific chipset converters are wonderful - when they work. They're one of the most problematic ones available and require close matching of the Prolific driver to your system's current service level. Widows updates are known to break Prolific drivers from time to time.

Converters based on the FTDI chipset generally have the least number of issues. One great advantage of FTDI is that if you move the adapter to a different USB port, it generally will not change serial port numbers (but that you guys know a lot more than me).

I would personally prefer Holtek HT42B534 over FTDI or Prolific though, as that chip implements a proper USB CDC ACM protocol stack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf