Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2780966 times)

Offline Free_WiFi

• Regular Contributor
  • https://tinyurl.com/y5nhpt2x
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9100 on: December 11, 2019, 05:04:14 pm »
I also forgot that  today i have received my original NO-REBRAND Zotek Digital Multimeter
aliexpress.com/item/4000187061097.html

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 05:08:07 pm by Free_WiFi »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9101 on: December 12, 2019, 11:55:39 pm »
Hi, I recognize the seller's pictures (F1*****), I bought from him once.
The shipping is always high, but the parcels are rock solid and the equipment is very well protected.
Is that the seller with the stupid prices for ancient crap? They refused my overly enthusiastic offer once, four months later they were still trying to push it for significantly less. Luckily I had come to my senses and scored better kit for less.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9102 on: December 13, 2019, 12:25:33 am »
Just got these two Symmetricom 58502A.
Perfect condition.
Will be used with GPSO primary and rubidium clock secondary to distribute the 10MHz ref to the bench instruments.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9103 on: December 13, 2019, 12:38:55 am »
Hi, I recognize the seller's pictures (F1*****), I bought from him once.
The shipping is always high, but the parcels are rock solid and the equipment is very well protected.
Is that the seller with the stupid prices for ancient crap? They refused my overly enthusiastic offer once, four months later they were still trying to push it for significantly less. Luckily I had come to my senses and scored better kit for less.

I've bought from him at least once before, the pricing is a little random, but once in a while he does have some decent deals.
Anyway we don't have that much choice over here.
His packing is done very professionally with injected polyurethane foam.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9104 on: December 13, 2019, 04:43:47 am »
More WEA for me  8) Plunge Saw and some extra track to keep me on the straight and narrow at least for timber cutting unlike the operator  >:D

As for the rest of todays spendings Bah Humbug Christmas shopping SUCKS  |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9105 on: December 13, 2019, 04:51:17 am »
Perfect condition.
Will be used with GPSO primary and rubidium clock secondary to distribute the 10MHz ref to the bench instruments.

Awesome!

Before using them swap the caps on the power supplies(this is not optional if you want them to live).
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: richnormand

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9106 on: December 13, 2019, 07:42:15 am »
More WEA for me  8) Plunge Saw and some extra track to keep me on the straight and narrow at least for timber cutting unlike the operator  >:D

Track saws are great for working with sheet goods.  You'll love it!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9107 on: December 13, 2019, 07:51:02 am »

-Pat

I was looking at buying a Triton or Contractors Table saw but then did some more research and youtube watching. Much safer for the fingers and it became clear keeping the sheet locked down and moving the saw makes more sense without in and out feed tables/horses taking up a heap of floor space.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #9108 on: December 13, 2019, 08:29:21 am »

-Pat

I was looking at buying a Triton or Contractors Table saw but then did some more research and youtube watching. Much safer for the fingers and it became clear keeping the sheet locked down and moving the saw makes more sense without in and out feed tables/horses taking up a heap of floor space.

The plunge feature makes it a lot safer for sure - circular saws always made me nervous with their Mickey-mouse guards that seemed to get in the way more than guard.  This type is great -plunge, cut, release and the blade retracts and you can put the saw down on a flat surface and it just sits without wobbling or tipping.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9109 on: December 13, 2019, 08:57:07 pm »
Perfect condition.

Awesome!

Before using them swap the caps on the power supplies(this is not optional if you want them to live).

Will do. Thanks for the heads-up.
Opened both as I was removing the usual stickers and glue plague.
Today I undid the PSU on both and the caps looked OK (no bulge or leaks) and they tested OK for value ( one is about 10% low) and ESR OK for all.

Will keep an eye out for this as I order replacements from Mouser.

Are the caps going bad a known issue for the Symmetricoms or good prctice in general for older caps?

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9110 on: December 13, 2019, 11:05:59 pm »
Bought a 4U wall mount server rack on evilBay even though I only needed a 2U.  I didn't want a vertical rack.  Also bought an adjustable wrench from handtoolrescue.com. Got my son one for Christmas and just bought one for myself.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9111 on: December 13, 2019, 11:09:55 pm »
Just got a Fluke 87V, described as boxed, new and unused, for £160.00 UK. It does indeed look as new but the most recent date I can find on any of the included docs is 2007.  Would anyone be able to date it from the S/No, which is 96350419?
DC coupling is the devils work!!

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9112 on: December 13, 2019, 11:14:36 pm »
  Also bought an adjustable wrench from handtoolrescue.com. Got my son one for Christmas and just bought one for myself.

Quite a coincidence, I bought one of those earlier in the year :-+  First one though, was disappointing.  It was poorly finished in some places and the handle section was distorted.  The guy was golden though, he replaced it without question within a week.  The replacement is very good.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #9113 on: December 13, 2019, 11:21:16 pm »
Perfect condition.

Awesome!

Today I undid the PSU on both and the caps looked OK (no bulge or leaks) and they tested OK for value ( one is about 10% low) and ESR OK for all.

Are the caps going bad a known issue for the Symmetricoms or good prctice in general for older caps?

The specific issue is the MAP55-4001 that is often used in the 58502/58503. The worse cap is a 10-33 uF located right beside a transistor on the input side. On later revs of the supply they remote the capacitor with flying leads. When that one starts to go bad it will take other components with it. It is a pretty quick job to swap all the caps, well worth it for something that runs 24/7 and that you want a clean signal from.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: richnormand

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9114 on: December 14, 2019, 01:10:55 am »
  Also bought an adjustable wrench from handtoolrescue.com. Got my son one for Christmas and just bought one for myself.

Quite a coincidence, I bought one of those earlier in the year :-+  First one though, was disappointing.  It was poorly finished in some places and the handle section was distorted.  The guy was golden though, he replaced it without question within a week.  The replacement is very good.

The one I have for my son has a very slight tool mark near the barrel.  Outside of that, it looks good and functions perfectly.  The finish was fine and no distortion.  I find it odd that you had a problem.  I thought that they were CNC machined on a mill.  Nice to know he made it right quickly.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9115 on: December 14, 2019, 03:14:26 am »
Just got a Fluke 87V, described as boxed, new and unused, for £160.00 UK. It does indeed look as new but the most recent date I can find on any of the included docs is 2007.  Would anyone be able to date it from the S/No, which is 96350419?

The sticker outside the box have the manufacturing date. Plus you can check the firmware in the DMM:

From turned off:
- Press and Hold: AutoHOLD
- Switch to DC Voltage on the selector and the screen will show the firmware revision - Last one is v3.03

Since the serial no is also greater than 19470148, it will have new generation LCD display and GSM fix installed. - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-87v-screen-goes-crazy-with-wifi-cell-phone-signals/

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9116 on: December 14, 2019, 04:14:57 am »

The sticker outside the box have the manufacturing date. Plus you can check the firmware in the DMM:

From turned off:
- Switch to DC Voltage on the selector and the screen will show the firmware revision - Last one is v3.03

Since the serial no is also greater than 19470148, it will have new generation LCD display and GSM fix installed. - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-87v-screen-goes-crazy-with-wifi-cell-phone-signals/
Quite interesting; I have a 87V serial number 1056xxxx (firmware 3.01) and did the cellphone test around it in various ways. No interference either when calling or when transferring data via 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
I wonder if it was inherent to the frequencies used by 2/2.5G GSM and not the 4G/LTE used by modern smartphones.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9117 on: December 14, 2019, 04:19:12 am »
Perfect condition.

Awesome!

The specific issue is the MAP55-4001 that is often used in the 58502/58503. The worse cap is a 10-33 uF located right beside a transistor on the input side. On later revs of the supply they remote the capacitor with flying leads. When that one starts to go bad it will take other components with it. It is a pretty quick job to swap all the caps, well worth it for something that runs 24/7 and that you want a clean signal from.

Just opened both and the PSU is the MAP55-4003. They both have the remote cap as you described. It is a 47uF at 35V. Both measured about 52uF with an ESR of slightly below 1 ohm.
Just added these two to my Mouser order list, just in case.

Cheers and thanks.

The following users thanked this post: testpoint1

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9118 on: December 14, 2019, 06:47:38 am »
Quite interesting; I have a 87V serial number 1056xxxx (firmware 3.01) and did the cellphone test around it in various ways. No interference either when calling or when transferring data via 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
I wonder if it was inherent to the frequencies used by 2/2.5G GSM and not the 4G/LTE used by modern smartphones.

Yes that interference was only on the bandwidth of the 2/2.5G GSM band.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9119 on: December 14, 2019, 08:49:40 am »

Open it and check the dates on the chips.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9120 on: December 14, 2019, 02:17:21 pm »

From turned off:

Many thanks, it's v3.00, so fairly recent I think.  I had seen the GSM issue, which concerned me initially but I realised that this one must be a later version than those affected by that problem. 
Looks like this is a real bargain!

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9121 on: December 14, 2019, 02:23:12 pm »

I find it odd that you had a problem.  I thought that they were CNC machined on a mill.  Nice to know he made it right quickly.

Same occured to me but then I've seen problems with CNC made mass produced car and motorcycle parts.  He told me to keep the defective one, which does work despite the problems, but the distortion is quite obvious.  Actually, I have one of the original wrenches too, makes and interesting comparison.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #9122 on: December 15, 2019, 09:29:21 pm »

I find it odd that you had a problem.  I thought that they were CNC machined on a mill.  Nice to know he made it right quickly.

Same occured to me but then I've seen problems with CNC made mass produced car and motorcycle parts.  He told me to keep the defective one, which does work despite the problems, but the distortion is quite obvious.  Actually, I have one of the original wrenches too, makes and interesting comparison.

I might end up doing that also, I wouldn't mind having an original at all.  Have to recover from Christmas spending first.  I just did a quick look, interesting that they are all listed in Canada.  I hope mine arrives with no issue.  I don't like being the one to piss and moan, even if it is necessary.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9123 on: December 16, 2019, 02:20:17 am »
That's a solid deal no matter how old it us. What board revision is it?

Offline unknownparticle

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9124 on: December 16, 2019, 03:39:58 pm »
Can't say as I haven't opened it up yet, will do at a later date. Also, just got a Fluke 177, again boxed, as new and unused.  It's a 2019 version and that was £132.00!!  Too good a deal to miss!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf