Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1549986 times)

Gary350z and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline sarel.wagner

• Regular Contributor
  • Cooking up an Electronix Storm
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9900 on: March 29, 2020, 06:11:20 am »
Last things I piked up before our national lockdown......
Had to be this, not food or anything else  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, julianhigginson, Mortymore, bd139, beanflying

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9901 on: March 29, 2020, 06:13:19 am »
Last things I piked up before our national lockdown......
Had to be this, not food or anything else  ::)

Must have been a worldwide disposal going on I scored a 720 and 721A in Oz two weeks ago. No Food also  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9902 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
Got myself this wee gadget, cause I "need" it of course!  ;D

Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Online xmo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9903 on: March 29, 2020, 07:44:57 pm »
Laser measuring with a built-in camera.  Very cool.  Let us know how you like it.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #9904 on: March 29, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »
I have a Leica d510 laser range meter with the same camera feature : it's really great !

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9905 on: March 30, 2020, 01:01:45 am »
I use Huepar lasers almost exclusively for work and, in my opinion, they are definitely the best bang-for-buck on the market right now.   :-+

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #9906 on: March 30, 2020, 09:22:51 am »
A small toy just received costs about $80
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Mortymore

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9907 on: April 01, 2020, 08:50:02 am »
40m of 2020 and 10m or 4020 T slot for the start of a 100W Laser build. Broke again......  ;D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline spongella

• Contributor
« Reply #9908 on: April 01, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
Boonton 92AE RF millivoltmeter, complete with matched probes, for my test bench.  These were made in my home state of NJ.  Will be used for a few alignment projects - FRG-100 and Icom R7100.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9909 on: April 02, 2020, 10:13:38 am »
Didn't "buy" anything, but paid $400 to get my tonsils out of my body after it gave me 8 years of chronic inflammation and lymph node pain, and costed me thousands of dollars on lymph node, liver, kidney and blood tests.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #9910 on: April 02, 2020, 10:51:44 am »
Didn't "buy" anything, but paid $400 to get my tonsils out of my body after it gave me 8 years of chronic inflammation and lymph node pain, and costed me thousands of dollars on lymph node, liver, kidney and blood tests.

How do you feel after surgery?

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9911 on: April 02, 2020, 11:08:31 am »
How do you feel after surgery?

As promised, the most painful experience most people will experience in a life. Unlike chronic pains like cancer, this pain only happens when you swallow, so your body doesn't mask it.

This is the second time I've been through this. The first time the doctor tried to seal the exposed rotten tonsil, and it reopened 2 years later. So I have a grasp how long it takes to recover, and how painful it is.

Today is the 9th day post surgery that fully removed both tonsils under general anesthesia, and I feel fantastic.

The pain reaches peak on the third day, then slowly fades, until passing one week mark. They it gets better and better drastically everyday. At least that's how I feel for both surgeries and what I read online.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9912 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:14 am »
My Six year old self still remembers the Icecream recovery diet after having mine taken out. As you are a bit older and recovery will take longer Gargle some Baijiu and add Icecream as needed  :-+

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9913 on: April 02, 2020, 11:19:27 am »
My Six year old self still remembers the Icecream recovery diet after having mine taken out. As you are a bit older and recovery will take longer Gargle some Baijiu and add Icecream as needed  :-+

I found alcohol very irritating, and sugar in ice creams also irritating. Anything with a non-neutral osmotic pressure hurts, including salty foods.
I found out for me, non-alcohol based mouth wash works the best as they have mint, which numbs the pain down quite effectively.
Also a few days ago it bled a bit, and the doctor asked me to gargle ice cold 0.9% NaCl solution, and it also worked great.

A few days ago I wasn't able to even drink large chunks of water. Now I can even eat crispy foods like McDonald's chicken thigh burger (not to be confused with the ground chicken patty junk).
I've always been a big fan of the spicy crispy chicken thigh burger, and every time I go home during my years in the US, I eat them a lot. It's only offered in Eastern Asia for whatever reasons.

Had a visit to the doctor's office, and he said I should be totally recovered in the next week.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:24:28 am by blueskull »

Offline lukego

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9914 on: April 03, 2020, 07:35:40 am »
Quick 6101A1 fume extractor.

Since I added a room filter with an auto/sensor mode it's clear that y desktop smoke absorber isn't effective. Just five minutes of soldering with tacky flux and the room filter kicks into overdrive to clean the whole room.

I bought from Eleshop.eu who also made a great comparison page including video/audio of various brands/models at different settings https://eleshop.eu/knowledgebase/FAQsolderfumeextractors/

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035

Offline Marck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9915 on: April 03, 2020, 08:56:34 am »
I had my tonsils out at 33.  I avoided too much pain through my Dr’s understanding that I had no interest in feeling any pain after the surgery.  I departed the hospital with a great big bag of the finest painkillers available to us mortals with a clear understanding that the drugs where to be administered by My wife and I was not to leave the couch.  I spent 10 days as a drooling potato living on iced tea mashed potato and gravy and ice cream. 

To be honest even after I came off the painkillers it was painful I would hate to think how painful it would have been if I was coherent

M

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9916 on: April 03, 2020, 09:28:13 am »
For DER DE 5000 owners :

I did some conversion to Kelvin probes at mine instruments a few years ago. The best thing I could do to this instrument :) . It is so much comfortable than that a crocodiles.

I've finished my 3D model for printing your own probe attachments for the DER DE 5000. You can find the files (and some pictures) here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2996692/#msg2996692

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, bitseeker, Mortymore

Offline Aviotronix

« Reply #9917 on: April 03, 2020, 03:07:09 pm »
Terry01, Seems to be a very wise purchase, what better way to make sure you are keeping the proper "social distance" from people during this time!

Offline deadlylover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9918 on: April 04, 2020, 04:44:21 am »
Picked up a big ol' Dawn 6 inch vise, made in Australia!

I've been needing a vice for ages but I always go back and forth between buying quality used gear vs new cheap junk from the hardware store. I think I overpaid a little at 150 dollarydoos but it was local and I liked that it had the original paint on it...or what's left of it.  ^-^ Brand new is around $483 so not great not terrible all things considered. Spare parts are available too but it just needs a clean and lube.

Can't wait to clean it up and finally use my new (old) Atlas Copco air compressor from 1989, a mate gave me a 3M spray gun so this will be fun.

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9919 on: April 04, 2020, 07:12:51 am »

Here, I'd probably pay like €35 for the initial appointment, and the rest is more or less free. Oh, and I can hand the receipt in to work for the initial appointment, and I'm reimbursed.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9920 on: April 04, 2020, 07:58:22 am »
Here, I'd probably pay like €35 for the initial appointment, and the rest is more or less free. Oh, and I can hand the receipt in to work for the initial appointment, and I'm reimbursed.

I was given three options to choose from, standard electrocautery surgery, PEAK PlasmaBlade surgery with one cutting tool, and PlasmaBlade with three different tools.

The first uses all domestically made materials and I only pay 300 Yuan deductible ($43), but the recovery is the longest. The second has shorter recovery and the third has shortest recovery and least bleeding.

I went with the third, and it incurred 7100 Yuan of imported material fee, which the insurance company covered 60%. The insurance company covered all the rest.

My company also covered the rest and gave me a week of paid leave and a week of work from home.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9921 on: April 04, 2020, 01:45:41 pm »
Hand cart for lugging boxes and storage tubs and such around.  Handles 200 kg payload in the horizontal configuration, 100 kg in the vertical.  Cost me only 35€ including shipping.

Online blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9922 on: April 04, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »
A 10GbE NIC from QNAP. Uses the same AQC107 that's in my MacMini, so presumably it is as powerful and stable as it is in my MacMini, which I am totally happy with.

This gadget closes the loop for my lab networking system. A central server (MacMini) serves all lab functions, including reverse proxy to allow access to the lab network behind NAT from the Internet through a relay server, a VPN server which allows the reverse proxy to be secured, and data storage, number crunching and backup services.

The MacMini is connected to a 8+2 GbE+10GbE hub with VLAN, and the link is VLAN tagged to two sub-links, Internet and Ethernet. The Ethernet VLAN is then untagged by the hub and distributed throughout the internal network.

MAC-->XGbE-->HUB1-->VLAN1-->GbE-->INET
                                -->VLAN2-->GbE-->HUB2-->GbE-->PXI/LXI
                                                                      -->GbE-->Lab computers
                                              -->GbE-->Other laptops
                                              -->XGbE-->My laptop
                                -->VLAN3-->GbE-->RPi4 backup and surveillance

Now I can have 100% of my project files centralized, meaning I will not suffer from any data loss if any of our laptops break or get lost.

Meanwhile, all my team can access to my central datasheet, source code, PCB/SCH library and ERP.

Data security and coherence is hard to do, especially when there's no budget for that. Thus I hacked this system up for only <$500 rest of the MacMini and my optional "privilege" XGbE NIC.

The only bit of shame is that Windows don't support simultaneous VLAN (unless you use a vendor tool like Intel's NIC toolbox), so I'm stuck with simple connection to the hub. This is not a problem since I do have a server to handle unsafe traffics, but if I want to use my own laptop as a server, I would not be able to do that.

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9923 on: April 04, 2020, 03:03:40 pm »
AMD EPYC 7551P (C32T64) for a new lab server cost me $450.

The prices are falling anda 2nd hand availability is increasing for EPYC previous generation.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9924 on: April 04, 2020, 07:22:54 pm »
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle. So, a HuntKey S400 4U rackmount chassis, and a Thermaltake 120mm closed loop liquid CPU cooler.

Also I built a USB 2.0 switcher box, so I can switch back to my beloved Apple USB keyboard (pre-butterfly mechanism, the same thing on 2012 MacBook Pro and AFAIK 2019 16-inch MacBook Pro.) That thing is a bliss to type on.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:55:57 pm by technix »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf