Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 1553708 times)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9925 on: April 04, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »
The MacMini is connected to a 8+2 GbE+10GbE hub with VLAN, and the link is VLAN tagged to two sub-links, Internet and Ethernet. The Ethernet VLAN is then untagged by the hub and distributed throughout the internal network.
This is similar to how I do things. I don't have 10GbE at all, so I use 802.3ad link aggregate as the substitute. I have a repurposed used cash register motherboard acting as my router, linked to my main switch over a 2-way aggregated trunk. My Internet comes in as PPPoEoV (PPP over Ethernet over VLAN) from the ISP, then enters my home network using a second VLAN. That is in my wiring closet. My lab and equipment rack is in a separate room with its own rack top switch, linked to the wiring closet with a 8-way link aggregate. In the rack lies my NAS with its 4-way aggregated link, my daily driver Hackintosh and my HPC workstation

The only bit of shame is that Windows don't support simultaneous VLAN (unless you use a vendor tool like Intel's NIC toolbox), so I'm stuck with simple connection to the hub. This is not a problem since I do have a server to handle unsafe traffics, but if I want to use my own laptop as a server, I would not be able to do that.
You may want to explore the Windows PowerShell a little. Windows 10 Pro have those features, but it is tucked away in Windows PowerShell. (My HPC Workstation uses Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, which have a few more features like ReFS.)

AMD EPYC 7551P (C32T64) for a new lab server cost me $450.
How much is the motherboard? And how many RAM (and what type of RAM) do you have on it? This is reminding me of when I bought the pair of Xeon E5-2680 (v1, C2 stepping, Sandy Bridge, 8C/16T each, 16C/32T total) a few years ago for just US$150.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:39:39 pm by technix »

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9926 on: April 05, 2020, 06:00:56 am »

AMD EPYC 7551P (C32T64) for a new lab server cost me $450.
How much is the motherboard? And how many RAM (and what type of RAM) do you have on it? This is reminding me of when I bought the pair of Xeon E5-2680 (v1, C2 stepping, Sandy Bridge, 8C/16T each, 16C/32T total) a few years ago for just US$150.

Unfortunatelly, full price for EPYCD8-2T that supports both 7002/7001 series. The memory is 100$ each for 32GB RLDIMM 2666 , still half of 8 slots to fill.

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9927 on: April 05, 2020, 09:28:16 am »
A 10GbE NIC from QNAP. Uses the same AQC107 that's in my MacMini, so presumably it is as powerful and stable as it is in my MacMini, which I am totally happy with.

It turns to be pretty noisy as it has a 30mm blower fan inside.

I just gave it a small surgery trying to tame the noise down.

To my surprise, this bugger was designed with three different thermistors. It uses a 2.54mm MF52 thermistor, a 0603 thermistor and a 0402 thermistor, both 5k initial value, and preusmably B value of 3970.

Why? Anybody tell me why? I understand there might be a through hole one just for air temp sensing, but why two different package of SMT thermistors? FFS that's ridiculous.

Well, I should have replaced them with 6.8k thermistors, but I'm too lazy to order parts to have a trip to HQB. I just replaced with all with 5k plan resistors.

It seems like at 22C room temp, the thing holds up well, at around 30C case temp. Not bad at all! However, without the fan, this thing quickly goes to 40C+ which is too hot to hold.

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9928 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:28 pm »

The MacMini is connected to a 8+2 GbE+10GbE hub with VLAN,

A. 10 Gig. Hub?  :o

That would be in violation of several IEEE standards. Don't you mean "switch?"

Here, I've got the next generation network under construction. Today, machineroom has a 7200VXR router, and a 4948 switch, all Cisco. Media cabinet has a 2960 24-port PoE switch; a similar but 10-port model sits in a linen closet upstairs. 5x 2702 access points supply wifi.

The next generation will swap 7200 and 4948 for a 4500-X router/switch, and replace one of the 2960s with a similar, but 10G-connected one. Just need to find out where I put those two 10G dual-port nics i bought, so file server (OpenAFS) and VM host (ESXI) can get connected.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9929 on: April 05, 2020, 07:37:18 pm »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle.
Meanwhile my 9900K is pinned folding all day at 98°C  :-DD

« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:54:07 pm by Kilrah »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9930 on: April 06, 2020, 03:09:40 am »
(Attachment Link)
So I am kind of forced to deal with CPU thermals on my upgraded Hackintosh: the i7-9700K is running at too high temperatures than I like: 50 deg C idle.
Meanwhile my 9900K is pinned folding all day at 98°C  :-DD

(Attachment Link)

That's a good way of killing a CPU fast...

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9931 on: April 06, 2020, 03:19:52 am »
A. 10 Gig. Hub?  :o

That would be in violation of several IEEE standards. Don't you mean "switch?"

Apparently.

Here, I've got the next generation network under construction. Today, machineroom has a 7200VXR router, and a 4948 switch, all Cisco. Media cabinet has a 2960 24-port PoE switch; a similar but 10-port model sits in a linen closet upstairs. 5x 2702 access points supply wifi.

In my case the building has already IT infrastructure there, so I don't need to worry about WiFi, thus no PoE.
I don't really care about a router too as my Internet traffic is small enough (~300Mbps) to be handled perfectly by a MacMini.
I use a 10G NIC on the MacMini and a 10G switch simply because I use my MacMini as a router and VPN, so traffics circulate in and out of it, thus I need more BW.
The switch I use is a NetGeat GS110EMX, which is a managed switch for $250, not a bad value.
As for my personal 10G NIC, it's just for video editing. I don't need it for basic daily work, but since I also create tutorials for the team, I'd just centralize everything.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #9932 on: April 06, 2020, 09:19:33 am »
That's a good way of killing a CPU fast...
Tell that to my 6 and 10 year old builds that still aren't complaining....

It's within spec. No different than what a CPU has to bear in pretty much every performance laptop (and it's usually not the CPU dying first on those).

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9933 on: April 06, 2020, 09:28:08 am »
It's within spec. No different than what a CPU has to bear in pretty much every performance laptop (and it's usually not the CPU dying first on those).

I'm pretty sure Louis Rossmamm will not agree with you.

Offline deadlylover

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9934 on: April 06, 2020, 03:21:05 pm »

It's probably fine for at least the 3 year warranty, you can always get the $20 Intel insurance if you're worried they will give you trouble for overclocking it (on a technicality most motherboards overclock by default and Intel may try and swindle you).

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing the CPU is throttling not to mention the fan noise and power consumption. I'd just lower clock speeds by like 5% for the peace of mind.  :P

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9935 on: April 08, 2020, 07:15:47 am »
Quick 6101A1 fume extractor.

Since I added a room filter with an auto/sensor mode it's clear that y desktop smoke absorber isn't effective. Just five minutes of soldering with tacky flux and the room filter kicks into overdrive to clean the whole room.

I bought from Eleshop.eu who also made a great comparison page including video/audio of various brands/models at different settings https://eleshop.eu/knowledgebase/FAQsolderfumeextractors/

I moved most of my proper office setup back to my home office for coronavirusmas, but didn't take my solder fume extractor (metcal BVX-201) because it's pretty big and setup in/through my office desk and seemed lile a bit too much effort.

I had my dyson air cleaner fan running in the room just for a bit of airflow, and it went crazy when I did some soldering. Nice to give the VOC sensor a bit of a test..  I got it during the fires so it's had a lot of chances to show that it's very good at sensing and removing PM2.5... now I've also seen it on VOC. ;-)

And now I'm reconsidering moving the fume extractor....

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry grad student.
    • My channel:
« Reply #9936 on: April 08, 2020, 01:52:54 pm »
I'm on a NIM (Nuclear Instrumentation Module) binge!

Just received these; a dual logic pulse counter, and RS232 computer interface for it, and a single channel pulse height analyser (window discriminator).

I must admit, I have the same admiration for these modules that people has for aerospace/space electronics and parts. These modules are produced in fairly low volume, and

identical units has been used in most if not all famous high energy physics experiments since the mid-60's, from reactor monitoring to particle accelerators, diffraction studies, cosmic ray observatories, and so on.

I'm hoping to get some modules some day with 'famous' lab inventory labels, like Oak Ridge NL, Los Alamos, CERN, etc.

--Christoffer
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc):
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline spongella

• Contributor
« Reply #9937 on: April 09, 2020, 11:50:07 pm »
An oldie but goodie, an Icom IC-28A 2m transceiver. 25W, 21 memories, 3 of thechannels are for using tones but will be used mostly for simplex.  Good reviews on Eham.net. I like the older radios, easier to program. Will do a complete realignment when it arrives.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9938 on: April 10, 2020, 06:39:15 am »
Denatured Alcohol  :-+ to mix up some Shellac. Also on the shelf next to it was some pure IPA in 125ml bottles but I still have enough for my 3DP and Electronics needs at this stage. Seems the panic buyers have their years supplies finally sorted :palm:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 06:59:12 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
« Reply #9939 on: April 10, 2020, 06:58:08 am »
Got myself an ADS-B USB dongle + indoor antenna.. Just a RPi 3B or newer now.

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #9940 on: April 10, 2020, 08:09:05 am »
Don't you mean "switch?"
Apparently.
:phew:
In my case the building has already IT infrastructure there, so I don't need to worry about WiFi, thus no PoE.
I don't really care about a router too as my Internet traffic is small enough (~300Mbps) to be handled perfectly by a MacMini.
I use a 10G NIC on the MacMini and a 10G switch simply because I use my MacMini as a router and VPN, so traffics circulate in and out of it, thus I need more BW.
Ah. In my case this is the building network. This is for home. I've got 500/100 now, apparently, since the ISP decided to upgrade for the duration of the current biological situation; normally I have 100 symmetrical. The first router was a Cisco 1800 one, but I swapped it for a 7200VXR because I wanted to run a few IPv6 bells and whistles that aren't supported on the 1800. Also, it's got 3x GE on the motherboard, so fit well with the upgrade to fiber connection, which always links up in GE, regardless what one bought.
The switch I use is a NetGeat GS110EMX, which is a managed switch for $250, not a bad value.
As for my personal 10G NIC, it's just for video editing. I don't need it for basic daily work, but since I also create tutorials for the team, I'd just centralize everything.
I'm sort of spoilt with quality network hardware at work, and have been, for 20+ years. Using SOHO quality gear makes me feel as if using no-name asian multimeters with "Class III"  :palm: and "China Export"  :-DD tags on overhead 415V lines. No thanks. Proper 5yo hardware, with RS232 console ports, SSH daemons and double PSUs, freely inherited from work, is much nicer to work with.

We do a lot of video editing, at work. Lots of 100G links there, and lots of hard drives. Actually, I mostly work with building networks for HD real-time video. A different world.

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9941 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:55 am »
I'm sort of spoilt with quality network hardware at work, and have been, for 20+ years.

About 10 years ago when I was at college I joined a tech club which is a spinoff from out campus networking department.
I had some experience with professional grade Cisco, Huawei and 3Com gears, but I think those would be a total overkill for a small lab network mostly gathering LXI data from test gears.

We do a lot of video editing, at work. Lots of 100G links there, and lots of hard drives.

Certainly not what I need. All I need is to orchestrate a 10-man team with small (PDF and documents) file access and LXI test gear access. Only I myself need high speed timeline scrubbing for video editing.

Offline Marck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9942 on: April 10, 2020, 09:24:05 am »
My house is run on free second hand cisco gear from work.  All gigabit and all POE.  Not long ago I was able to swap out my sg300 switches for some neat little fan less 10 port 3560cg units.  I have a new rack coming next week so another one will go in that. And I have scored a little Industrial tplink ac access point that will allow me to use external antennas so I have a couple of antennas from a cisco mesh unit that are going up on the roof so me and my whole block will have 802.11ac wifi.

The joy of free stuff.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #9943 on: April 10, 2020, 01:14:48 pm »
Using SOHO quality gear makes me feel as if using no-name asian multimeters with "Class III"  :palm: and "China Export"  :-DD tags on overhead 415V lines. No thanks. Proper 5yo hardware, with RS232 console ports, SSH daemons and double PSUs, freely inherited from work, is much nicer to work with.
I'm using a full TP-Link GbE enterprise grade kit: two TL-SG3226, one TL-SG3226PE, one TL-AC100, three TL-AP1205GI-PoE and one TL-SG1005. I have a used cash register motherboard running Ubuntu Server working as my router.

The only SOHO grade gear is an Apple Time Capsule, as I need its built-in file server for backups.

We do a lot of video editing, at work. Lots of 100G links there, and lots of hard drives. Actually, I mostly work with building networks for HD real-time video. A different world.
Linus Media Group?

Offline mansaxel

• Frequent Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #9944 on: April 10, 2020, 11:14:41 pm »
Using SOHO quality gear makes me feel as if using no-name asian multimeters with "Class III"  :palm: and "China Export"  :-DD tags on overhead 415V lines. No thanks. Proper 5yo hardware, with RS232 console ports, SSH daemons and double PSUs, freely inherited from work, is much nicer to work with.

I'm using a full TP-Link GbE enterprise grade kit: two TL-SG3226, one TL-SG3226PE, one TL-AC100, three TL-AP1205GI-PoE and one TL-SG1005. I have a used cash register motherboard running Ubuntu Server working as my router.

The only SOHO grade gear is an Apple Time Capsule, as I need its built-in file server for backups.

TP-link is SOHO! Yes, I've got a media converter from them. And, we've got them at work, too. They've got the cheapest SFP-equipped media converter around, and it works. But, I'd avoid them for configurable stuff. Because I can  :-DD.

Linus Media Group?
No, I'm part of the network team at Sweden's public service television company.

Offline blueskull

• Supporter
  • Power Electronics Guy
« Reply #9945 on: April 11, 2020, 03:50:23 am »
TP-link is SOHO!

TPLink is not just SOHO. It does have SMB grade gears. It doesn't tap into the real big gun business though.

Offline gorge441

• Contributor
« Reply #9946 on: April 11, 2020, 02:59:01 pm »
Bought some vegetables... Nothing else.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9947 on: April 11, 2020, 07:00:18 pm »
Loaded up on groceries to last for the next 3 weeks.

Also bought:

-Deoxit combo kit to complement the D5 spray
-P6015 HV probe
-7119 tube and shield for my 067-0532-00 project
-Some backlight strips and remote for a Vizio d43n-e1

Other recent purchases include:
-HP 6209B 0-320V 0-100mA power supply for repair
-HP 6515A 0-1600V 5mA power supply for repair
-A bunch of reed switches to experiment with for 067-0532-00 project
-Last but not least, a GenRad W20HMT3A Variac for $45 shipped, fully functional with broken/missing plastic gauge covers

Online djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9948 on: April 12, 2020, 07:09:14 am »
I just bought a new Mac Mini (i5 HexaCore, 16GB Ram, 10 GigE Nic, 512 GB SSD) and for various vintage Computer restoration projects, about 300 Capacitors in various pack sizes (mostly Wurth or Panasonic).

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:00:42 am by djos »
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

Visit my Tindie store for Tandy 1000 Adapters for EX, HX, SX, SL, TX & TL etc

Offline olkipukki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9949 on: April 13, 2020, 02:59:38 pm »
SuperMicro Dual AMD EPYC (1st generation) 1U server for $500 (no CPUs, no Memory, no Disks)  ::)

968930-0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf