Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777186 times)

DC1MC, w.v.s. and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9825 on: August 19, 2020, 08:22:12 pm »
one bosch cordless router

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9826 on: August 20, 2020, 09:55:00 am »
one bosch cordless router

I'll see you router and raise you a 9" angle grinder ;D

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9827 on: August 23, 2020, 10:08:12 am »
From the last weeks:

- Uni NanoDia .5 HB leads;
 - Pilot Neox .5 HB leads;
Trying to get the best one for my needs and between the Pentel Ain Stein, Uni NanoDia and Pilot Neox, currently Uni is in first place followed by Pilot very close and Pentel in the last far away.

- Ohto Multi MF-20K3B Multi Pen + Mechanical Pencil (With this I have currently 3 brands of mechanical pencils/ballpoint pens, probably I have a problem now...);
 - Staedtler Eraser Holder with Black Eraser;
 - 4x Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA;
 - Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X (a forgotten gem in the audio world, totally worth the price and rival to headphones way more expensive. Currently looking for his closed twin, the ATH-A900X);
 - Mitutoyo Dial Caliper 505-732 (digital are nice and fast, but I leaned to use them on dial/slider models and nothing beats a mechanical);
 - Plus some more stuff for the baby, mainly Milk Powder formula and diapers...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:16:26 am by Black Phoenix »

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9828 on: August 23, 2020, 12:44:28 pm »
<snip>

Since you've mentioned before you live in southern Shenzhen, where did you get those stationary? I tried a few shopping malls along side metro line 4 (a few around north station and central book store near children's palace) and 2 (coco shopping complex and a few near OCT), never found a good store carrying what I want (Mitsubishi Style Fit and refills).

Care to share where did you find all of them if not online?

Ok I will make the explain were I got most of it:

rOtring 600 MP and BP - Amazon.jp, shipped to HK;
Pentel Graphgear 1000 MP and BP - got in Japan a lot of years ago;
Ohto Multi MF-20K3B Multi Pen + Mechanical Pencil, Kokuyo stuff, rOtring Triangular ruler and Pilot Neox leads - JD APP;
Uni NanoDia and Pentel Ain Stein leads, Staedtler Eraser - Shop in Grand Theatre, under Book City. Simply exit on Line 2 - Grand Theatre, Exit F. When outside, it's the building on the right. The entrance is at the street level, close to a restaurant. From the inside of the stationary shop you can climb the stairs on the left and right corners and be on the Book City store, or the opposite way if you enter via Book City. Can't remember the name of the stationery shop.

They carry Pentel, Mitsubishi, Staedtler, rOtring, Zebra, Kokuyo, Parker, Pilot, MG, etc... I'm sure I saw what you look for there, is close to the entrance of the shop, centre-right product display, it's mostly Mitsubishi/Uni stuff.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9829 on: August 23, 2020, 12:49:28 pm »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Asus G14
« Reply #9830 on: August 23, 2020, 01:44:53 pm »
An Asus Zephyrus G14, indulging my self with octa-cores laptop.  :P

I was looking at this model, but God damn it, Asus China doesn't offer the 1080p version, and as someone who have used an X1 with 2560*1440 resolution, I know how much I hate this resolution.

Gnome has bad fractional HiDPI support, so either I run it in 720p equivalent mode (720p images and 1440p text, which some of my applications won't physically fit in), or I run it in native 1440p which puts a lot of strain on my eyes.

And KDE is not an option. Therefore for me, it is 1080p or 4k, period.

I was mouthwatering Huawei's new MateBook X for a while (3k*2k, even at 200% scaling I still get 1.5k*1k), but on its final release it has only 14nm CPU, not the rumored 10nm IceLake or even TigerLake, nor 7nm Ryzen 4000U. That, compounded by its passive cooling design, I can already see performance disaster.

This is unfortunate, but consider Huawei now practically only sells in China, and we Chinese generally are not the fastest to accept new things, like AMD's rising, Huawei will have to not to let AMD to taint its flagship's name, despite it also has some quite decent lower end Ryzen 7-based laptops, just with horrible color accuracy and building quality. I hope with time goes by more "business-oriented" Chinese people will recognize AMD and more vendors will release flagship AMD products.

So, I will just wait for the new Acer Swift 5 with Gorilla glass and TigerLake with MX350, to be released later this year.

And no, I will never buy a ThinkPad again. This X1 I'm typing on had crashed 5 times this week (weeks start in China on Monday), and it never crashed on any memtest or CPU/GPU stress programs. Weird, indeed, but it just keeps crashing when I use it normally. My coworker's cheapo Xiaomi runs well, with the same Ubuntu 20.04 and KiCAD 5.

Yeah, this Ryzen 2 4000 series mobile cpu basically a breakthru in laptop computing, Intel basically hopeless against it, not too mention this tiny 14" beast have a really good battery life too, and this particular G14 also can utilizes USB C PD charging, slower though compared to using it's brick charger, but in mobile computing, its really unbeatable when in comes the convenience.  :-+

See how AMD kills Intel.  >:D

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:51:22 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9831 on: August 23, 2020, 07:37:13 pm »
Hakko FR-830 air preheater.

Everyone else seems to use IR these days but I'm gonna take a chance on air.

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9832 on: August 24, 2020, 02:18:58 pm »
Grant GD120 5 litre stirred temperature-controlled water bath, for calibrating thermistors. Acquired faulty: loosened grub screw, adjusted impeller position, retightened. Fixed.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9833 on: August 24, 2020, 02:20:23 pm »
That sounds like a horrific, difficult repair ;P Sounds like a bargain!
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9834 on: August 26, 2020, 01:10:59 am »
Got tired of fiddling with fixing up Lipo battery packs for tools and my homemade spot welder.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9835 on: August 26, 2020, 06:30:48 am »
Got tired of fiddling with fixing up Lipo battery packs for tools and my homemade spot welder.
Interesting little thing.
How much was it and where did you buy it?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9836 on: August 26, 2020, 10:41:09 am »

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is that? I see the spot welder but that thing connected to it I don't know what it is.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9837 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:36 am »

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but what is that? I see the spot welder but that thing connected to it I don't know what it is.

They are the welding tips. These are used for welding things like the tabs that are spot welded to 18650 cells.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9838 on: August 26, 2020, 10:52:19 am »

They are the welding tips. These are used for welding things like the tabs that are spot welded to 18650 cells.

McBryce.

So now I understand why he said he was sick of finicky with their LiPO battery packs...

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #9839 on: August 26, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »
Got a hoard of x-band waveguide parts!  A few magic tees and cavities, and the complete microwave bridge of a HP 624c test set- complete with starrett micrometer driven cavity wavemeter and some sort of knife edge cam like attenuator. Am happy!

This should tide me over for my EPR spectrometer
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 09:52:20 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Lumintop EDC05, EDC01 and Sanyo UR14500P
« Reply #9841 on: August 29, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »
Lumintop EDC05 (AA) and EDC01 (AAA) flashlights, and two SANYO UR14500P 840mAh, AA sized Li-Ion batteries.

The two Eneloops AA & AAA as reference sizes.

EDC05 capable of using plain AA cell (Alkaline or Nimh) or 14500 AA sized LiIon cell with twice the brightness. It will not over discharge the battery.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:57:53 pm by BravoV »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
SAMSUNG INR18650-35E and Soshine E3S-QC
« Reply #9842 on: August 29, 2020, 02:41:41 pm »
Four 18650 SAMSUNG INR18650-35E 3500mAh cells, and Soshine E3S-QC, which is a 18650 Li-Ion charger, and also can be as power bank at the same time (USB output QC 3.0 at 5V 9V 12V adaptive), capable of accepting input charge voltage up to 6v as generated by small solar panel or just plain common USB at 5V.  Each 18650 cell is monitored and charged independently.

PS : I have a habit of marking my batteries with date.  :P
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 03:27:30 pm by BravoV »

Offline AlexJackson

• Contributor
« Reply #9843 on: September 01, 2020, 08:14:54 pm »
It was actually yesterday, but a Vectron 10MHz OCXO for my SyncServer s200.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9844 on: September 03, 2020, 08:00:22 pm »
Got myself 6m HV triaxial cable (quite expensive stuff) and enough triax connectors to build three cables. Stripped one end of the cable, realised that the connectors i ordered are too small for the cable and that there's no way i can assemble it...

Now looking for even more expensive triax connectors... The cheapest ones are 50 bucks a piece and not even rated for half the voltage that i want. Anyone got some spare Pomona 5218?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9845 on: September 04, 2020, 09:25:57 am »
I finally bought some decent SMD tweezers, an EDSYN  EP130 and an EP150.

https://au.element14.com/edsyn/ep-150/tweezer-tip-curve-pointed-133mm/dp/3386383?ost=3386383

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #9846 on: September 04, 2020, 09:30:52 am »
Got myself 6m HV triaxial cable (quite expensive stuff) and enough triax connectors to build three cables. Stripped one end of the cable, realised that the connectors i ordered are too small for the cable and that there's no way i can assemble it...

Now looking for even more expensive triax connectors... The cheapest ones are 50 bucks a piece and not even rated for half the voltage that i want. Anyone got some spare Pomona 5218?

Those guys have six pieces which can be dispatched immediatly.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9847 on: September 04, 2020, 11:33:25 am »

Those guys have six pieces which can be dispatched immediatly.

The problem is not the availability but the price of those connectors… 240 bucks for six connectors is just a little bit too much for my taste (especially given the fact that they are rated for 500V RMS but my 237 can output 1.1 kV).

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9848 on: September 04, 2020, 08:36:09 pm »
This was, technically, not a purchase, it was a birthday present. But it is amazing. Get one. I've made 3 crimps with it, and I'm in love.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #9849 on: September 04, 2020, 09:05:54 pm »
This was, technically, not a purchase, it was a birthday present. But it is amazing. Get one. I've made 3 crimps with it, and I'm in love.

Is your wife also reading the TEA thread?   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf