Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781223 times)

wkb, Gixy and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9875 on: September 15, 2020, 06:31:24 pm »
Something I DIDN'T buy today was a new thermal imager/camera/sensor. I have one from Seek Thermal that plugs into a cellphone/tablet USB2 connector but those are few and far between on today's cellphones, and Seek's app has stopped being compatible with my tablet.  :wtf:

I need to do a thermal study on a power circuit I'm working on and was going to post here for recommendations on an inexpensive camera, when I remembered that my wife had saved one of older Motorola cellphones. First thing this morning I grabbed it, downloaded the app, plugged in the sensor, and voila - I'm back in business.

Here's an annotated image looking at the breadboarded circuit with the 13A load running at 50% duty cycle (2 seconds on/off). A nice $0 solution thanks to my wonderful wife!  :-+   :clap:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9876 on: September 15, 2020, 06:38:56 pm »
That's why I avoided the phone linked thermal cameras, in case it was a brick after I upgraded my phone. I waited until there was an affordable stand-alone unit that fulfilled my needs. In my case it was a HTI HT-18 that I chose and I haven't looked back since. Really happy with the device still and still fulfills all my needs.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9877 on: September 15, 2020, 06:53:23 pm »
Yep, I can't argue, and my replacement plan was going to be a standalone unit for exactly those reasons. But I got this Seek Thermal unit on a whim, basically an impulse buy several years ago for under $200, and no standalone unit could match its resolution at anywhere near that price.

My plan now is to keep the old phone with the sensor as a system. The phone doesn't have a SIM card so the networks don't "know" about it. I'm keeping it in Airplane Mode so all of the wireless interfaces are disabled so, amongst other things, Google doesn't try to force an Android update on it. I pull the images using USB. It should be an isolated island and continue to operate for quite some time, so I'm back to having a reasonable thermal imaging system for the low incremental price of $0.  :-+

Offline bobcat2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9878 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:44 am »
Stuck in the house for months.  I bought a big bucket of Church's chicken and a bag of Okra.  Yummm.  Best chicken on Earth ever!

The following users thanked this post: richfiles, ANTALIFE

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9879 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:22 am »
Stuck in the house for months.  I bought a big bucket of Church's chicken and a bag of Okra.  Yummm.  Best chicken on Earth ever!

Yum. I hope you bought enough for all of us!
iratus parum formica

Offline WornerBro

« Reply #9880 on: September 16, 2020, 06:11:17 pm »
I bought pizza for a family dinner  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9881 on: September 17, 2020, 12:46:57 am »
For the E-Bike, get rid of bullet connectors and replace them with XT60 connectors, you can also get a three way XT60 connector for the motor drive.
The bullet connectors are crap as is the wiring sheath, when they get hot due to contact resistance they wreck themselves and the insulation on the wiring.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline richfiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9882 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:47 am »

I bought a Hewlett Packard HP9100A
I actually bought it... I bought my holy grail!  ;D

Sure, it's broken, but I could actually afford this unit, and that's what matters here. I routinely see these sell between $3000-$5000 when in working condition. When broken, I've seen these sell anywhere between $800-$2000. I actually got this for the lowest price I've seen in the past 11 years, and belive me... I've been watching every sale between then and now that I've spotted online! I can always gradually work my way through all the resistors and diodes, testing for failed components. Maybe I'll even get it running someday.

This is purely an acquisition of desire, not need. I've wanted one of these for a quarter of my life, and now I have this piece of engineering beauty! Sure, I could have bought a new CPU and motherboard for what I spent, but I think I'll be happy to have this beauty from 1968. Pics are the seller's pics... I've bought and paid for it, now to hope the UPS guy doesn't abuse it!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 03:12:16 am by richfiles »

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, Cubdriver, newbrain, exor, duckduck

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9883 on: September 17, 2020, 04:08:55 am »
I actually bought it... I bought my holy grail!

Congratulations  :-+

The following users thanked this post: richfiles

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #9884 on: September 17, 2020, 05:29:37 am »

This is purely an acquisition of desire, not need. I've wanted one of these for a quarter of my life, and now I have this piece of engineering beauty! Sure, I could have bought a new CPU and motherboard for what I spent, but I think I'll be happy to have this beauty from 1968. Pics are the seller's pics... I've bought and paid for it, now to hope the UPS guy doesn't abuse it!

He's delivering it as we speak.

iratus parum formica

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #9885 on: September 17, 2020, 05:35:31 pm »
For the E-Bike, get rid of bullet connectors and replace them with XT60 connectors, you can also get a three way XT60 connector for the motor drive.
The bullet connectors are crap as is the wiring sheath, when they get hot due to contact resistance they wreck themselves and the insulation on the wiring.
this wiring is only temporary.
be adding a 20A kill switch & other waterproofing
when  have free weekend.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9886 on: September 18, 2020, 08:39:47 am »

four 15A 100MHz current clamps,
four 7kV differential probes and four 800V differential probes.
What are the model numbers you got?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline ManuelMcLure

• Contributor
  • WW1FA
« Reply #9887 on: September 24, 2020, 11:20:01 pm »
An early birthday present: a Rigol DS1054Z. With the Tequipment discount plus their NOTAX coupon code it came out to $329 shipped. This replaces my Tek 2235 which still worked great but had too many limitations (no single shot acquisition and size being the big ones). And yes, I've already hacked it to 100MHz (it already came with all other options enabled and the latest firmware).

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9888 on: September 25, 2020, 05:14:04 pm »
I came across an e**y-offer offering 200pcs unused  test probes.
For EUR 15,46 shipped I couldn't say no. Was too weak.   :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: Ysjoelfir

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9889 on: September 26, 2020, 04:18:56 pm »
A -hp- (Harrison) 6206B. In a very sorry state. It ended up being free, because GSP and USPS took turns in breaking it. Ebay handled the refund excellently.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #9890 on: September 27, 2020, 01:53:01 pm »
Oof.. That looks terrible, although it seems the package had at least some padding as the knobs and the posts look somewhat intact.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #9891 on: September 27, 2020, 08:43:56 pm »
Just got that AMIQ. Now to get it working!

On power up it emitted a series of beeps that was very familiar. On opening it up I realised it is the BIOS beeps for a malfunctioning graphics card.
Of course it does not normally use one. I plugged an old ATI card and could see the boot up procedure with Caldera OpenDOS 7.01 and a notice about "not for commercial use" or such.... :-//

Next thing to do is image the hard drive and locate user and service information to use the GPIB and talk to the unit. If I get it working I'll start hunting for a SMIQ 03 to pair with it for I/Q modulation.

Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #9892 on: September 27, 2020, 08:49:22 pm »
Oof.. That looks terrible, although it seems the package had at least some padding as the knobs and the posts look somewhat intact.

Somewhat, yes.

The mains switch is a goner, needs a new one. (funny enough, the schematic I've got does not show it being a 2-pole switch, so I'm having to trace out and replace accordingly)

The Volts pot seems OK. Not been able to test yet.

The Range / Metering switch is compromised. It's been kicked in, and the switch wafer assembly has separated from the bushing that holds it in the chassis. Needs out-of-chassis repair. Supposedly unobtainium since it's concentric and all. I have hope it will be repairable.

The meter came back in place with some persuasion, and the movement is OK. It gives a reading if I probe it with a multimeter in Ohms mode, and the multimeter reads the coil as some 100Ω.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 08:51:59 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9893 on: September 28, 2020, 05:00:37 am »
Hakko FM-204 desolder gun for the bench. Not desperately needed, as I don't deal with that many TH parts, but when I do they're often connected to power planes, and really need some work to remove... Thinking I might buy a regular iron to plug into the desktop box, too. Occasionally a 2nd soldering iron is useful, and If I'm going to have that box sitting there anyway.....

Lenovo P53 laptop (plus two TB3 docking stations) to replace my old W540 (and its docking stations) that's starting to bluescreen a bit more often than I'd like.

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9894 on: September 28, 2020, 09:16:56 am »
If you need the development tool , check this link https://tang.sipeed.com/en/getting-started/installing-td-ide/

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #9895 on: September 28, 2020, 09:22:10 am »
I bought a new desoldering station to replace my old doss that went poopy in its trousers.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/353139404211

I’d love a Hakko FR-301 but they are monstrously overpriced here in Straya!

Offline kallek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9896 on: October 01, 2020, 05:24:18 pm »
Desoldering tool here too! Not station but original Edsyn SOLDAPULLT Deluxe solder sucker!

I also ordered Amprobe 33XR-A as a second meter, and some smd components and leds.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 05:26:36 pm by kallek »

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9897 on: October 01, 2020, 06:01:52 pm »
Hey,

yesterday a Kunkin KP184 DC load arrived. But that one was partially DOA  :( Still waiting for the reply how to proceed (only automated reply) and do not want to break the "seal" yet.
Ordered another one today as the price tag was pleasant.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #9898 on: October 03, 2020, 03:03:22 am »
Not purchased today, but a week ago at a small Christchurch gem show.
(IC for size reference and... well... because it should be there.)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:04:57 am by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9899 on: October 03, 2020, 04:21:10 am »
Not purchased today, but a week ago at a small Christchurch gem show.
(IC for size reference and... well... because it should be there.)
Cats whisker not included.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf