Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754965 times)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #9950 on: October 23, 2020, 02:32:57 am »
Bamboo tweezers   :D

The price is right.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9951 on: October 23, 2020, 07:21:28 am »

You'll have a tough time trying to pick up 0402 parts with that!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #9952 on: October 25, 2020, 05:15:45 am »
photoresist film

Offline Simon_RL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9953 on: October 25, 2020, 07:28:09 am »
Received my Siglent SDS2104X+ On Friday.
It is like stepping into a Roll Royce after using my Hantek DSO4204C😁.
Got it from Triotest, turned up in less than 24 hours.
I love the big ass touch screen, so easy to use.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:38:59 am by Simon_RL »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Noga Deburring Tool
« Reply #9954 on: October 25, 2020, 09:58:05 am »
Doing a lots of metal works recently like cutting and drilling, as I'm an amateur and also clumsy  :palm: , the sharp edges from the metal cut and drilled holes cut my hand and fingers a lot at many occasions and bleed like hell, so tired of using file or sand paper, and so pissed  >:( , and told my self enough is enough.

Bought my self the duck's gut of the de-burring tool and the extra 10 carbide blades, Noga, made in Israel.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:21:37 am by BravoV »

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9955 on: October 25, 2020, 04:04:55 pm »
$20 for this Motech MT 4080A  :)
Wow - awesome catch!

The Motech MT-4080A/D is re-badged and sold by B&K Precision as the 886 and 885 LCR meters.  (For a lot more than $20!)  There's schematics, calibration, and other service information posted in this thread for the 885/886:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/identify-theses-masked-buffed-ics-need-search-detectives-gurus/msg2579427/#msg2579427

FYI.

MarkL, thank you so much for information and the forum link as well!

Did not know that they where re-badged and sold by B&K Precision as the 886 and 885 LCR meters. I got this from a friend of mine and he did not really know what they used it for. The company he worked for vent bankrupt and no one had a clue what it was!  ;D All was there in a box: Kelvin clips, SMD test probe and calibration plug. I saw a price that was nearly $1000, but that was a while ago. Very kind of you to share that information which sooner or later will come in handy.  :-+

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9956 on: October 25, 2020, 04:46:42 pm »
These two were given to me for free, but at the time of writing I do not know what I am going to do with them.  ;D These were used by technicians at a local hospital but when they moved to a new built hospital, nearly 20 years ago, they were thrown in garbage container and a friend of mine picked them up and stored them in his garage until know.  :)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9957 on: October 25, 2020, 05:44:36 pm »

You'll have a tough time trying to pick up 0402 parts with that!

McBryce.
That is for sure !  :)
I was more thinking to use them to hold things that may get hot when soldering, particularly when using hot air. Sometime it is small PCBs that get hand assembled or reworked.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9958 on: October 26, 2020, 03:58:08 am »
An Avometer Model 7, Mark 1 (I guess; it lacks the Mark 2 features), made November 1950. It is in almost perfect condition, bar some rust in the battery bay, and binding posts miss some parts. I need to verify function on all ranges. The movement is free and responds to stimulus.

Most important: It won't get turned into a lamp holder.  Pic from ad:

What I like about these old AVOs is, no matter what condition you find them, they always seem to be happy.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, richfiles, 4cx10000

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9959 on: October 29, 2020, 06:36:21 pm »
Bought another ISO-TECH item, this time an AC/DC Current clamp adapter ICA32N.

Ranges: 100A (10mV/A) and 600A (1mV/A)
BW: 45-65Hz

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #9960 on: October 30, 2020, 12:59:03 am »
These two were given to me for free, but at the time of writing I do not know what I am going to do with them.  ;D These were used by technicians at a local hospital but when they moved to a new built hospital, nearly 20 years ago, they were thrown in garbage container and a friend of mine picked them up and stored them in his garage until know.  :)

Ah ha! I thought that looked familiar. Checked in my 'old manuals' stack, and I have an original TF 2700 Universal Bridge manual. Operating, theory and schematic.

The manual and the instrument should come together. It's yours for postage (from Sydney Australia.) Or I could scan it.
Another alternative, just mentioning it for completeness: If you aren't likely to use that, I'd buy it from you (though only if cheap.)
I collect old test equipment. (Same as about 80% of eevblog members.)
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: 4cx10000

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9961 on: October 30, 2020, 01:31:52 am »
Ah ha! I thought that looked familiar. Checked in my 'old manuals' stack, and I have an original TF 2700 Universal Bridge manual. Operating, theory and schematic.

The manual and the instrument should come together. It's yours for postage (from Sydney Australia.) Or I could scan it.
Another alternative, just mentioning it for completeness: If you aren't likely to use that, I'd buy it from you (though only if cheap.)
I collect old test equipment. (Same as about 80% of eevblog members.)
[/quote]

Hi TerraHertz and thank you so much for your offer!  :)

I will take a serous talk with myself if I want to keep it or not. It is late night here in Northern Sweden - 02.15 - so I will have to come back. Of course the price would be cheap because the shipping cost, even though it is rather light weight, be a big part of the total expense. Well  ... I have already talked to myself and if you want it just drop me a pm and let me know what you think it is worth. :)

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9962 on: October 30, 2020, 01:34:58 am »
32 gb usb 3 flash + usb wireless n about $30 total Canadian after tax 2GB (dual channel) 2x 1 Gb ddr 2 cas 5 800 mhz $5 used final . Remote controllable multi colour light puck - $6.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 01:53:43 am by msuffidy »

Offline lukego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9963 on: October 30, 2020, 12:48:53 pm »
Imdes Mini vapor phase reflow oven for €866 promotional price at Eleshop (https://eleshop.eu/vapour-phase-mini-condens-it.html).

I've been on the fence about this for six months. I want a vapor phase capability for working with really large BGAs, and I had been planning to take the asparagus pot approach, but this feels like a relatively economical upgrade from "prototyping" to "small production" capability. I'm betting that I'd have ended up buying one within the next year and won't see a better price than this. YOLO!

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9964 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »

Only US$50

Need something to do while they count votes.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9965 on: November 04, 2020, 02:54:07 am »
I got a cheap 30kg spring balance for some ghetto tensile strength testing of crimp terminals. Made in Germany which was a pleasant surprise.

Well I can confirm the TE PIDG terminals work nicely with both the Pressmaster KSA0760 and the official mil spec TE/AMP 59250 tool. I tried it with 22awg wire and the wire just keeps breaking at the ~11kgf/24lbf mark, which is around the break strength of normal 22awg wire.

I find it interesting that the Pressmaster consistently broke at the strain relief crimp, but the AMP broke where the conductor crimp is. Perhaps the Pressmaster is overly stressing the strain relief crimp, which makes sense because the AMP has 4 adjustment settings for wire insulation whereas the Pressmaster cannot be adjusted.

I want to get some high tensile strength wire for testing (specced up to ~16kgf break strength for 22awg)... well maybe not at a dollar+ per foot, ouch. Ughh I'll try fit it in with my next digikey order.  :P

For some reason I was nervous using the crimp terminals at the thin end of the range (22-16awg normally) and was concerned it would be a bit weak, but it looks like I was worried over nothing. Mil spec was 15lbf for 22awg, UL spec was 8lbf, so it looks like the AMP 59250 still performs extremely well (24lbf, wire strength) despite its age/wear because I did get it used for real cheap after all.

I briefly tested 16awg wire and I maxed out the scale at 30kgf/66lbf without the wire or crimp failing, it's reaaaaally uncomfortable to pull that much so I called it quits. Mil spec is 50lbf (UL is 30lbf) and break strength is supposed to be around the 75lbf mark for 16awg wire.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #9966 on: November 04, 2020, 03:24:20 am »
Fishing scales would be my choice for checking breaking strain as many have a sliding marker that remains at the last highest measurement.
Like these from Shimano:
http://www.billfishtacklesupply.com/Scales/scales.htm
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9967 on: November 04, 2020, 03:35:53 am »
Those are often called "fish scales", "kalavaaka", here.

They say that a few decades ago, in 1980s, in Northern Finland a lady had to give birth in an old fishing cottage frequently visited by then president Kekkonen.  The midwife forgot her scales, but there was one left by Kekkonen, so they used that one.  The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying, every now and then, do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9968 on: November 04, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »

They say that a few decades ago, in 1980s, in Northern Finland a lady had to give birth in an old fishing cottage frequently visited by then president Kekkonen.  The midwife forgot her scales, but there was one left by Kekkonen, so they used that one.  The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying, every now and then, do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Those fish scales were likely "adjusted" to help the fisherman with bragging rights.

If the kid really did weigh 40 pounds, I'd guess that the kid would be able to walk before the mother recovered enough that she could walk.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9969 on: November 04, 2020, 06:12:24 pm »
The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.... do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Wait, I thought that other thread here decided that "calibration" had nothing to do with actually being in spec....  :popcorn:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9970 on: November 04, 2020, 07:10:20 pm »
The birth weight for that baby was recorded at 40 pounds.... do verify that the spring is still okay, and the scales still "in calibration".

Wait, I thought that other thread here decided that "calibration" had nothing to do with actually being in spec....  :popcorn:

Calibration is by definition the comparison between the results of a measurement device and a known quantity (ie: a standard). It doesn't change anything it only establishes the offset.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #9971 on: November 05, 2020, 12:09:38 am »
Those fish scales were likely "adjusted" to help the fisherman with bragging rights.
Well, duh!  Obviously.

In practice, if the spring is overextended (say, due to trying to measure something over its capacity), it will deform, displaying larger tension than actual.  For fishermen with a competitive streak, or overeager lackeys trying to lick arses, a little 'stretch' like that is sometimes too tempting.  Regularly testing it, say before and after a series of measurements, against a known tension (weight) lets you know whether this has happened or not.  It's a simple pass-or-fail test.

Offline blackfin76

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9972 on: November 05, 2020, 03:56:08 pm »
Mmm... ordered a hot air station Atten ST-862D and a pre heater Aoyue 853A pro.

Guess I'll be soldering and desoldering surface mount components in the man cave from now on.

The purchase of a microscope last month made me realize is was a necessity.

The following users thanked this post: lukego

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9973 on: November 11, 2020, 05:10:21 pm »
A 6 digit, 0.01% german made DC current calibrator because it was cheap i really need it to calibrate my SMU.

Turns out that my 6.5 digit DMM isn't precise enough to validate it... Well, there is always room for a 7.5 digit on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #9974 on: November 11, 2020, 05:32:32 pm »
A 6 digit, 0.01% german made DC current calibrator because it was cheap i really need it to calibrate my SMU.

Turns out that my 6.5 digit DMM isn't precise enough to validate it... Well, there is always room for a 7.5 digit on the bench.

Ah, so you have bought this unit.  :)  :-+
Had it on my watch-list as well.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf