Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777130 times)

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10025 on: December 06, 2020, 09:24:07 pm »
That's a big ten four.

Oh, wait..
iratus parum formica

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10026 on: December 09, 2020, 07:56:07 am »
Video not available here, but I found some other ones. Perhaps you could answer a couple of queries...

It's a laser, out in the open, 20W. What do you do for not just your eye protection but anyone that might be passing (or inqusitive cats)?

The ablated stuff has to go somewhere. What do you do about not getting it up your nose?

I'm kind of interested in replacing my PCB mill with a laser of some kind. Is this the sort of thing I should be looking at? It would be cool to be able to laser-cut stuff, but frankly my needs in that line haven't woken up yet.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10027 on: December 09, 2020, 08:15:39 am »
EM-Smart 20W Q-switched fiber laser engraver for $3k. Certainly a huge step up from my Cubiio :palm:.

I know I spent the money of a MOPA engraver for a conventional Q-switched laser engraver, but I do love its smaller size and different design (rather than the three "traditional" designs every Chinese fiber engraver uses).

I feel comfortable for spending a bit more (I've seen sub-$1k machines of the same paper spec) to support innovation, and I believe if a company can design a new machine rather than using other people's design, they must know their business.

This device will be used in a few applications, including laser PCB etching (direct copper ablation), laser micro via drilling (for multi-layer PCB component embedding) and laser defined selective reduction (reducing CuO-epoxy mixture to Cu and water/VOC vapors), rest of common applications like engraving, marking and IC decapping.
Nice, you should start a thread about the stuff you do with it.
beanflying has one and posted some about it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/

Last we heard he was building something much larger until 2020 issues got in the way.
Maybe try and make contact with the bean.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10028 on: December 09, 2020, 08:29:13 am »
Thanks. That makes it annoyingly feasible :)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10029 on: December 09, 2020, 10:28:49 am »
EM-Smart 20W Q-switched fiber laser engraver for $3k. Certainly a huge step up from my Cubiio :palm:.

I know I spent the money of a MOPA engraver for a conventional Q-switched laser engraver, but I do love its smaller size and different design (rather than the three "traditional" designs every Chinese fiber engraver uses).

I feel comfortable for spending a bit more (I've seen sub-$1k machines of the same paper spec) to support innovation, and I believe if a company can design a new machine rather than using other people's design, they must know their business.

This device will be used in a few applications, including laser PCB etching (direct copper ablation), laser micro via drilling (for multi-layer PCB component embedding) and laser defined selective reduction (reducing CuO-epoxy mixture to Cu and water/VOC vapors), rest of common applications like engraving, marking and IC decapping.
Nice, you should start a thread about the stuff you do with it.
beanflying has one and posted some about it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/40w-300x200mm-laser-cutter-engraver-vollerun/

Last we heard he was building something much larger until 2020 issues got in the way.
Maybe try and make contact with the bean.  ;)

100W CO2 is what I am building now over Summer is the current plan. Very different animal to a Fiber one.

@Blueskull some of Russ's playing with Fiber Lasers might be worth a look for you too  :)

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10030 on: December 09, 2020, 05:16:13 pm »
It's a laser, out in the open, 20W. What do you do for not just your eye protection but anyone that might be passing (or inqusitive cats)?

The beam is of fairly high divergence, and a few cm over focal plane it is no where close to be dangerous.

Also the wavelength is poorly absorbed by human eyes, and the device comes with a pair of 1064nm rated goggles.

That's a really, really dumb idea to just run it in the open... The backscatter from a 20W YAG definitely has the potential to blind you. Second, the eye still kinda focuses at 1064, even though you can't see it. Third, i wouldn't trust some janky laser goggles from an Alibaba seller, proper NdYAG goggles start at only 70 bucks. Just get proper goggles and shielding for the laser... The cheapest option would be a plastic/wooden box with a webcam inside it, if you want to monitor the progression.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Short Tanto ?
« Reply #10031 on: December 09, 2020, 05:57:30 pm »
Incidentally, notice that the display is NOT hexadecimal. It's a funny symbol set unique to HP signature analysis. Here's the complete set, from the 5004A manual. They really wanted the letters "HP" in there. Spot the extra weirdness.
The hex characters B and D are impossible to uniquely represent with that 7 segment display, so something had to be substituted, or a more expensive display used.   H and P makes sense as substitutes and gives a tiny smidge of marketing.
?
_       _  _       _   _  _   _   _   _              _  _
| |   |  _| _| |_| |_  |_   | |_| |_| |_| |_   _  _| |_ |_
|_|   | |_  _|   |  _| |_|  | |_|  _| | | |_| |_ |_| |_ |

Well you got me.  But I have always found that mix of lower and upper case representations both unsightly and a modest barrier to rapid comprehension.  I wasn't much thrilled by the game of putting 07734 in your calculator and turning it upside down to say hello either.  YMMV.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10032 on: December 09, 2020, 06:37:30 pm »
Incidentally, notice that the display is NOT hexadecimal. It's a funny symbol set unique to HP signature analysis. Here's the complete set, from the 5004A manual. They really wanted the letters "HP" in there. Spot the extra weirdness.
The hex characters B and D are impossible to uniquely represent with that 7 segment display, so something had to be substituted, or a more expensive display used.   H and P makes sense as substitutes and gives a tiny smidge of marketing.
?
 _       _  _       _   _  _   _   _   _              _  _
| |   |  _| _| |_| |_  |_   | |_| |_| |_| |_   _  _| |_ |_
|_|   | |_  _|   |  _| |_|  | |_|  _| | | |_| |_ |_| |_ |

Well you got me.  But I have always found that mix of lower and upper case representations both unsightly and a modest barrier to rapid comprehension.  I wasn't much thrilled by the game of putting 07734 in your calculator and turning it upside down to say hello either.  YMMV.

Right; I do believe it was a deliberate design choice on behalf of HP.  I can see the benefits of both; such small details are sometimes surprisingly effective.  Compare to e.g. rounded display corners on classic Mac OS; it's a very minor detail, but made a big impact on human users' brand awareness.

The above hexadecimal set on 7-segment displays is probably as old as seven-segment displays themselves, and I am 100% sure HP folks knew about it; just chose to not use it.  I was just surprised you seemed to be unaware of it, that's all.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #10033 on: December 09, 2020, 10:06:05 pm »
This thing is just so hilarious that I just couldn’t resist.
I will only use its Bluetooth speaker functionality in my workshop.
I have no need for the DMM features as I have plenty of other better quality devices.
Ordered, but probably will not make it here before Xmas.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000343031770.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76bf4c4dxlxkEp

I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #10034 on: December 09, 2020, 10:54:38 pm »
What, no radio??

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10035 on: December 10, 2020, 06:43:36 pm »
FYI, checkout those laser rust removal videos, where workers shine those kW-level pulsed lasers on their own hands and get nothing but free hair removal.

https://adapt-laser.com/laser-cleaning-safety-basics/

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10036 on: December 10, 2020, 06:53:31 pm »
All small, bench-top Chinese laser engravers, including those certified and rebranded ones like Trumpf Laser and other well know brands, use this open design.

Those standalone lasers engravers typically need to be integrated in a machine, or at least the ones I know. I agree the information on the net is not always clear, but I doubt there is a laser engraver from a reputable brand were the manual states it can be used without a safety enclosure.

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10037 on: December 10, 2020, 09:19:03 pm »

Got me a nice scope

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #10038 on: December 10, 2020, 11:57:08 pm »
when ordering e-bike docking type Lithium Battery packs
buy all you need at one time.   
because the battery pack case designs can change without warning.  on-line shop images out-of-date? showing old case design.
leaving you with two or more incompatible battery packs that will not dock the same e-bike battery cradle.
even if the size watt/hr and voltage are the same.

e-bike battery case designs are not the same    |O

now the good news, ... battery chargers are identical .
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:27:19 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10039 on: December 11, 2020, 01:16:22 am »
Been there, done that with Hailong battery cases.  A right PITA.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10040 on: December 11, 2020, 08:26:38 am »
The above hexadecimal set on 7-segment displays is probably as old as seven-segment displays themselves, and I am 100% sure HP folks knew about it; just chose to not use it.  I was just surprised you seemed to be unaware of it, that's all.

So far, nobody noticed (commented on) the detail that HP's 7-seg symbol set on the HP 5004A has two zeros. Resulting in potential ambiguities.  Probably not too serious for signature analysis, but still...

Did they do that just to save a few gates in the 4-bit to 7-seg decoder logic?

Another recent buy: HP 1670D. Cheap because of the broken knob, but it comes with the knob and appears to be a clean break of the shaft, ie can be glued.
Why? See my sig.

Incidentally, this may interest those doing HP LIF <--> PC DOS file interchange. The 1670D has HPIB, and quoting the programming manual:
The MMEMory (mass memory) subsystem commands provide access
to the disk drives. The HP 1670D-series logic analyzers support both
LIF (Logical Information Format) and DOS (Disk Operating System) formats.
The HP 1670D-series logic analyzers have two disk drives, a hard disk
drive and a flexible disk drive.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:40:25 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #10041 on: December 11, 2020, 02:12:52 pm »

So far, nobody noticed (commented on) the detail that HP's 7-seg symbol set on the HP 5004A has two zeros. Resulting in potential ambiguities.  Probably not too serious for signature analysis, but still...
Ok, I'll comment.  It's a mis-print in the manual.  That snippet from the manual is showing *17* symbols because they accidentally duplicated the "0".  The output from signature analysis is still 4 x 16 symbols.

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #10042 on: December 12, 2020, 06:09:45 am »
This thing is just so hilarious that I just couldn’t resist.
I will only use its Bluetooth speaker functionality in my workshop.
I have no need for the DMM features as I have plenty of other better quality devices.

Surprised you didn't spring for the deluxe AN-8888S model ... or do you already have a toaster in your workshop?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Mr.B, Miyuki

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10043 on: December 12, 2020, 06:33:25 am »
Tube 6LO1i" alt="" class="bbc_img" />
And sorry for my English.

Offline IDEngineer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10044 on: December 12, 2020, 07:03:39 pm »
Surprised you didn't spring for the deluxe AN-8888S model ... or do you already have a toaster in your workshop?
Doesn't that model's faceplate also hinge down so you can use its internal cavity as a toaster oven? I believe they run their TCXO so hot that it was just a natural "extra feature".

The following users thanked this post: Mr.B, I wanted a rude username

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #10045 on: December 12, 2020, 08:31:28 pm »
Doesn't that model's faceplate also hinge down so you can use its internal cavity as a toaster oven? I believe they run their TCXO so hot that it was just a natural "extra feature".
I'm waiting for the model with the integrated kitchen sink.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10046 on: December 12, 2020, 09:18:58 pm »
An ESP32 CAM  that came today,
Damaged !!

Not from shipping.

I am doing quality control for Chinese manufacturer? I guess.
Ordered from US company.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #10047 on: December 12, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
I'm waiting for the model with the integrated kitchen sink.
It's missing the transistor checker port.
iratus parum formica

Offline DrG

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10048 on: December 13, 2020, 12:38:24 am »

From Pactec...after seeing them mentioned here many times, I finally tried them out. Received these quickly, well packaged, not scratched or soiled. I took advantage of their feature of letting you buy extra panels (I need to attempt making a bezel for a 1.8 LCD and have some doubts about getting it done in one try :) ). All good.
- Invest in science - it pays big dividends. -

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10049 on: December 13, 2020, 12:56:50 am »
Tube 6LO1i

I would love to see it lit up if you ever connect it :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf