Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2777790 times)

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #10525 on: June 19, 2021, 02:11:01 pm »
Got a good deal on a brand new Mitutoyo QuantuMike micrometer, Model: 293-145
and it verifies with my Mouser gauge block perfectly.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, gamalot

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10526 on: June 19, 2021, 04:52:59 pm »
Just got two active probes for my oscilloscope as I've been playing around with some higher frequency analog and digital goodness.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10527 on: June 19, 2021, 05:28:59 pm »

I did find gauge blocks on Mouser's website, but they are 3M brand.  :-DD

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10528 on: June 19, 2021, 05:55:57 pm »

I did find gauge blocks on Mouser's website, but they are 3M brand.  :-DD

OOPS, I misspelled it :-//
German company "MAUSER"

Mauser was one of the oldest German companies that made amazingly good quality mechanical measurement instruments.
But, like so many other companies, they had to bite the dust.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10529 on: June 22, 2021, 05:52:49 am »
Nice I also have a couple 2nd hand ones.
Can you verify the usage and standby current for me please.
Mine use 5uA in use still the battery (150mAh SR44) runs flat within 7 months with practically little usage. Don't understand this they should last two years so now I leave the batteries out when not in use.

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10530 on: June 22, 2021, 09:40:59 am »
Just got two active probes for my oscilloscope as I've been playing around with some higher frequency analog and digital goodness.
Not exactly a hobbyist's invest, those ones.   :o

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10531 on: June 22, 2021, 09:43:41 am »
1000km road trip coming up so updated $ Garmin maps.  ::)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10532 on: June 22, 2021, 03:07:15 pm »
Not exactly a hobbyist's invest, those ones.   :o

They are used as is most of my test equipment. The cost of both of those probes combined is less than a third of the cost of a new probe.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10533 on: June 22, 2021, 05:54:53 pm »

Have fun!

Don't you get lifetime map updates there?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10534 on: June 22, 2021, 07:38:20 pm »
I bought a quickshifter unit for an S1000XR to retrofit onto my '15 S1000R which only has an up quickshifter. When I sent the ECU out to be modified to manage auto-blipping clutchless downshift it returned with their own quickshifter unit(300 euro value). It works really well. Added an Akropovic stainless steel exhaust also since I had it tuned at the same time.

Bought the Siglent 1020X-E and modified it to the 300W model with full resolution. Works well but battery tests take long enough that I haven't been able to do a ton with it to get a full idea of how well I like it. Just glad it has a keypad.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10535 on: June 22, 2021, 09:05:00 pm »

Have fun!

Don't you get lifetime map updates there?
No as they were twice the price !  :o

Older GPS so it did need updating as there are a few new freeways in NZ since we brought it so if you step off the main routes it will try to return you to the old routes.  ::)
But it all might be put on hold as some Covid infected Aussie has just contaminated the city I was planning to visit to see customers and family and now there's talk of a region wide lockdown that might get me stranded there for a week !   :wtf:
Stuff that so the whole trip may have to be again rescheduled.  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10536 on: June 23, 2021, 04:33:30 am »
I guess they might cost a bit more :)

Garmin are pretty good in the respect. I have a 390LM which is about half a decade old now and I never updated the maps because it wanted  half my C: drive free space to do so. But I needed to last week and it wasn't a problem to get hold of the latest stuff. My partner, on the other hand, has (rather, had) a TomTom with lifetime updates. An email not that long after she got it said it's lifetime was exceeded and that was that! TomTom have form so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

now there's talk of a region wide lockdown

Yeah, they do that so no-one sees them installing the 5G transmitters. You'll get better data rates once it's lifted  :bullshit:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #10537 on: June 23, 2021, 07:37:38 am »
I have been looking at some better marking out gear for my old eyes (Timber, Plastic and metal) and decided my Piggybank wouldn't run to Incra or https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/MirockToolworks (could have designed and Lasercut my own but his are nice   :-  )

So Aliexpress price point and save more $ for TEA https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000338734447.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77794c4dKpx3Iu

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, I wanted a rude username

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #10538 on: June 23, 2021, 08:04:46 am »
Riden RD6006P DC power supply. 0-60V 0-6A

I was using a proper lab supply from the 80's. Works great, except that it has one dial for V for each channel and one dial for I for each channel and also good old needles for displays. It is not practical to set a specific few mA for playing with individual LEDs.

With this new Riden, on the other hand, I can set 3.000V and then slowly ramp I up from 0.0010A to 0.0300A. I can graph P, I, and V right on the power supply and see the relationships between them. My noob dreams are being fulfilled: I graphed P, I, and V for a red LED and for a little 12V electric fan. I feel as though I have a new super power. This is the coolest TE I've ever played around with. A major reason for buying this model is that it is supported by both sigrok ( https://sigrok.org/ ) and HKJ's Test Controller ( https://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerIntro%20UK.html ). Additionally, the PC software that comes with this unit adds some nice capabilities e.g. automated voltage sweeps and exporting graphs. Forum user UniSoft has made a nice custom firmware for it, and sunkmail, et al. have written a manual for this firmware that looks more professional than the OEM manual. Loving it.

EDIT:

Order now and save 15% when you use code DUCKDUCK with my affiliate internet influencer snap-face-bay link. LOL. Seriously though, I think that I'd be over the moon with any power supply with a keypad. This just happens to be the first one that I bought. I'll have to start saving for a new Keithley source meter...

Accuracy is not bad at all. Also, my HP buttons are in good condition  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:39:35 am by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10539 on: June 23, 2021, 09:41:53 am »
Another test equipment museum piece. This time from the early days of logic systems analysis. A HP 1600A Logic State Analyzer, from around 1977. HP 1977 catalog pg 96, 1978  pg 124.

Really happy with this. I've been looking for one in reasonable condition and nice price for ages, but on ebay that's rare.  This was US$70, and looked really clean. The seller prism_electronics7 packed it REALLY well, foam-in-place done right, plus the 1600A in it's own plastic bag. See pic 2 - I wish all sellers could pack right like this.

It had one pivot cover on the handle missing, but I had a spare. Only needed a little cleaning to get the unit looking pristine. Inside there's virtually no dust, so maybe it wasn't even used much.
None of the little HP buttons missing this time either.

AND IT WORKS (mostly.) A few minor problems but I already have the op/service manual.
The best surprise - the listing didn't show any probes although there appeared to be something inside the top pouch. Turns out it had all four probes, leads and clips. Amazing.

So of course I got too pleased with myself. While reattaching the clear cover of the EHT section I fumbled a small screw into the interior. It shook out of the unit easily enough, but bounced off the bench onto the floor. Then took another hour and a half to find. Well, I needed to clean the floor anyway.  (Pic 3, spot the tiny screw.)

Next historical boatanchor goal: A HP 5000A. See the HP Journal, Oct 1973. (last pic)
Was that the first ever attempt at a 'logic analyzer'?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 02:11:58 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #10540 on: June 23, 2021, 12:52:02 pm »
I got to play with one of these almost 30 years ago at the university. Quite nice buy!
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #10541 on: June 23, 2021, 02:01:27 pm »
I had a pair of the HP 1607A logic analyzers in the 80s, which were almost identical to the 1600A except you had to use an external scope in XY mode for the display.  I was impressed that the 1's and 0's are drawn in vector mode and generated with discrete logic.  It's great you got the probes.  All the probes for mine had been lost and I had to make my own.

When the analyzers outlived their usefulness, our kids used them to control their cardboard box rocket ship.  They really liked the collection of knobs, buttons and switches (as did I).  (Sorry to those who think this is not a fitting end for vintage gear...)

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10542 on: June 23, 2021, 02:09:39 pm »
I have a 1607A too, though it needs repairs. So far I have no leads on finding the strange 'small BNC with three lugs' connectors, to make a 'trigger bus' cable between the 1600A and 1607A. Then there's the amphenol connectors control bus to look into.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10543 on: June 23, 2021, 03:49:10 pm »
(Pic 3, spot the tiny screw.)

Literally, 5 seconds.

I may have had some practice at this.

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10544 on: June 23, 2021, 06:23:23 pm »
I don't know how often they come along but I put myself on the waiting list for a NanoVNA V2 Plus4 on Tindie and was notified a week later.
I placed my order a week after that and 7 days later it's out of stock again.
According to tracking it should arrive on Monday

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10545 on: June 24, 2021, 12:30:41 am »

I may have framed it dead center in the pic, to help.
It's stainless, non-magnetic. I ultimately had to sweep together all the floor dirt from the room including from underneath many things, then finger through the resulting dust pile.  A delicate mix of cat hair, beard hair, spider webs, dust, leaves, walked-in dirt, nameless cat-derived substances,  and other small long-lost items.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10546 on: June 24, 2021, 07:14:05 am »

I may have framed it dead center in the pic, to help.
It's stainless, non-magnetic. I ultimately had to sweep together all the floor dirt from the room including from underneath many things, then finger through the resulting dust pile.  A delicate mix of cat hair, beard hair, spider webs, dust, leaves, walked-in dirt, nameless cat-derived substances,  and other small long-lost items.

Quicker, easier and cleaner to just swing a magnet over it.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Youthe

« Reply #10547 on: June 24, 2021, 07:47:37 am »
I have been looking at some better marking out gear for my old eyes (Timber, Plastic and metal) and decided my Piggybank wouldn't run to Incra or https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/MirockToolworks (could have designed and Lasercut my own but his are nice   :-  )

So Aliexpress price point and save more $ for TEA https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000338734447.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77794c4dKpx3Iu

This actually seems decent. You'll have to update us with the results in a few weeks when it arrives. Genuinely interested!
😲⚡ I shock myself too ⚡😲

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #10548 on: June 24, 2021, 02:19:33 pm »
Quicker, easier and cleaner to just swing a magnet over it.

You missed where I said the screw is non-magnetic stainless. What do you think was the first thing I checked? (With the remaining screw.) Completely non-magnetic. With a captive washer. Quite a special screw, hence my not just saying goodbye to it and using a new one.

Now to today's buy. Or rather today's arrival from USA.
Back in 2015 johnh gave away some HP 6034A System DC power supply manuals. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(aus)-hp-6034a-hp-1727a-manuals/
I got one because these old manuals are are so cool, and also maybe I might find one of the supplies one day.
Today's that day!

It was cheap because "doesn't power up."
On first quick inspection, it has a blown internal fuse on the mains input to the small transformer for the logic board power.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10549 on: June 24, 2021, 07:09:41 pm »
Hi,

Arrived yesterday:

A set of ten 36 inch leads, stacking banana plug to grabber. These are fairly heavy-duty, 18 awg wire rated at 4A. I have purchased the 18 inch version about 7 years ago and they are still good and used frequently.

Not cheap, but probably good value.

link: https://e-z-hook.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/601W.pdf

Regards,
Jay_Diddy_B

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf