Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754133 times)

bookaboo, PlainName and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11250 on: May 22, 2022, 11:46:34 pm »
Plasma on aluminum has never worked well for me. Leaves a really ragged cut. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I've never tried plasma on Al - don't think it would work.  Plasma is for steel.  I might have sown some confusion when I threw in the bit about cutting aluminum on the table saw.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11251 on: May 23, 2022, 01:05:37 am »
Plasma can cut a bunch of conductive metals including Aluminium, Brass, Copper and some of the whacky steel alloys but you really need to consider playing with the Shielding Gas Nitrogen, CO2 and Argon mixes generally. The same thing applies with metal cutting Lasers too.

Not a fan of Aluminium and Plasma (and I don't have mixed gases) and as I don't build boats saws make most sense for roughing it out.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11252 on: May 23, 2022, 01:16:39 am »
Plasma can cut a bunch of conductive metals including Aluminium, Brass, Copper and some of the whacky steel alloys but you really need to consider playing with the Shielding Gas Nitrogen, CO2 and Argon mixes generally. The same thing applies with metal cutting Lasers too.

Not a fan of Aluminium and Plasma (and I don't have mixed gases) and as I don't build boats saws make most sense for roughing it out.

Given the load the plasma cutter puts on my air compressor, I can't imagine trying to feed it some specialty gas mixture - that would get expensive REALLY fast!

-Pat

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11253 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:22 am »
Yep I used to have a customer that was buying 6 bottles of cutting gas a week but they were building Aluminium Boats ;) You can do thin Aluminum with Air so give it a go sometime, I wouldn't try anything much over 2mm and expect it to look ok.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11254 on: May 23, 2022, 01:43:42 am »
Yep I used to have a customer that was buying 6 bottles of cutting gas a week but they were building Aluminium Boats ;) You can do thin Aluminum with Air so give it a go sometime, I wouldn't try anything much over 2mm and expect it to look ok.

May take a crack at it at some point, but think by and large I'll stick to non ferrous blades on the table and miter saws for the al-you-min-yum.  (And thankfully have no inclination towards building boats despite the plethora of anchors I have here...)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11255 on: May 23, 2022, 07:37:32 am »
Actually bought them Saturday, but didn't immediately get photos.  Snagged a rather rough looking pair of Dynaco A10 bookshelf speakers for $45.  They were painted at some point (institutional tan #5 - blechh  :palm:), and one of the woofers had a tear in the cone.  Pulled the torn woofer and repaired the rip; it's drying now.  Based on what I've read online, it appears that they originally came out in 1971; if what I think is a date code on the woofer is correct it was made in late 1971 (5071).  They were made in Denmark.  Scraped a bit of the paint off the bottom of one of them and it looks like they originally had a wood finish, so I plan to try stripping the nastiness off & refinishing them, and if all else fails try my first effort at veneering if they're too far gone.

More pics at https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/Dynaco-A10-Speakers

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, Mortymore, Peter_O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11256 on: May 23, 2022, 12:56:47 pm »
I was blown away ten or twelve years ago when I finally tried cutting aluminum on my table saw - amazed at how well it went, and immediately went and bought a proper non-ferrous blade for it.  It goes through 1/4” 6061-T6 aluminum like a hot knife through butter and leaves a great finish on the cut.  Based on that, I bought the cold chop saw a few years ago and was similarly impressed.  Not quite as fast as the table saw on the Al, but still plenty quick and a beautiful smooth cut.  So, so, so much better than trying to cut either material with a band or jig saw.

-Pat
Back when I did jig & assembly line fab out of 8020 extrusion, the only thing we used to cut the material was a chopsaw with 14" x 60-80 tooth carbide blade. If set up carefully to ensure it is square, you can get accuracy "within a few thou" with finish rivaling milled surface, especially if you bother to set up your cutoff stops every time so your pairs/sets of beams are exactly the same length.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11257 on: May 23, 2022, 01:01:26 pm »
*coughWATERJETcough*

mnem
A dwagon can dweam... ;)

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11258 on: May 23, 2022, 04:29:20 pm »
Regarding plasma cutting and various materials.

Plasma cutting is essentially melting and blowing away material. So, a good heat conducting material such as aluminium will have a rough edge since the melt zone will be large. Thicker the material, the rougher the cut will be.

You can cut glass too... Just tack down some aluminium foil or conductive thin metal on the glass to allow the arc to form to start the plasma process and then cut away (or more precisely, melt away)  :)

cheers,
george.

The following users thanked this post: AmnevaR, beanflying

Offline Ground_Loop

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11259 on: May 24, 2022, 02:41:28 am »

Plasma cutting is essentially melting and blowing away material. So, a good heat conducting material such as aluminium will have a rough edge since the melt zone will be large. Thicker the material, the rougher the cut will be.

You can cut glass too... Just tack down some aluminium foil or conductive thin metal on the glass to allow the arc to form to start the plasma process and then cut away (or more precisely, melt away)  :)

cheers,
george.

Holy crap. I'm going to have to try that.
There's no point getting old if you don't have stories.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11260 on: May 24, 2022, 09:30:01 pm »
Tektronix 7L5 Spectrum Analyzer plug-ins for 7000 mainframe with OPT 25 tracking generator and L3 front end 50/600/1m Zo

Hardly ever used. I Worked since February with the seller  to get very difficult payment packing and shipping issues cleared up. Just arrived!

Huge double wall box, great packing...

Will test out soon,

Jon
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:07:39 am by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, jonovid

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11261 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:49 pm »
Beautiful!  And with apparently intact knobs - seems to be a rarity for 7k series plug-ins not to have one or more of them bent or broken.  Nice score!

-Pat

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11262 on: May 24, 2022, 09:44:58 pm »
A Kikisui PLZ205W electronic load.

The following users thanked this post: jonpaul

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11263 on: May 25, 2022, 04:12:55 am »

cheers,
george.

won't the resulting pieces have a severely stressed heat affected zone prone to cracking?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11264 on: May 25, 2022, 05:34:04 am »
micrometre   -mechanical engineering tool to know how thick something is in millimeters .mm
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11265 on: May 25, 2022, 06:17:56 am »
micrometre   -mechanical engineering tool to know how thick something is in millimeters .mm

Now you need a second more accurate one or a calibrated gauge block to verify this one  :-DD And a Surface plate and a ...........

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11266 on: May 25, 2022, 06:24:57 am »

Now you need a second more accurate one or a calibrated gauge block to verify this one  :-DD And a Surface plate and a ...........

At least TWO more - otherwise how can you really be certain which one is off?

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11267 on: May 25, 2022, 06:43:57 am »
I started stripping the A10 cabinets today.  So far I’m hopeful - the veneer in the areas I’ve done so far appears to be in good shape for its age.

Decided I should hook them up and give a listen before spending who knows how long stripping nasty paint.  I’m impressed, given their small size.  They sound pretty good to me - worth the $45 I paid for them.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: jonovid, Mortymore

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11268 on: May 25, 2022, 09:02:22 am »
It would be a micrometer, (ie, a meter for measuring small things) as it is not calibrated in millionths of a metre, but in millimetres & decimal fractions of a mm.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11269 on: May 25, 2022, 05:11:28 pm »
Rebonjour a tous....All from flea markets and street sales in Paris...

Franck-Hertz Critical Potentials   Physics experiment He bulb EU 15

HP 2007 Financial calc NIB French and En manual and case....uses CR2032 Li batts... EU 5

1943 Aviation calc from UK EU30

Besides the HP calc, I have never see this stuff in the USA...

Your thoughts appreciated...
Jon
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 05:14:03 pm by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11270 on: May 25, 2022, 07:10:22 pm »
It would be a micrometer, (ie, a meter for measuring small things) as it is not calibrated in millionths of a metre, but in millimetres & decimal fractions of a mm.
I should copy and paste words more carefully, such is the web
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #11271 on: May 25, 2022, 07:13:25 pm »
Rebonjour a tous....All from flea markets and street sales in Paris...

1943 Aviation calc from UK EU30

Besides the HP calc, I have never see this stuff in the USA...

Your thoughts appreciated...
Jon

An early Whiz Wheel - very cool!   :-+  Nice find.

-Pat

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11272 on: May 26, 2022, 12:32:59 am »
I should copy and paste words more carefully, such is the web
Or perhaps I'm just "splitting hairs". ;D

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11273 on: May 26, 2022, 03:44:37 am »
Some Radio Shack "Science Fair-Style" spring terminals -- like the ones in the XXX-in-1 Project Lab kits:

1495624-0

https://makertradingpost.com/collections/frontpage/products/spring-terminals-pack-of-25

Offline timenutgoblin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11274 on: May 26, 2022, 01:52:22 pm »

Depending on how it's spelt, it's either a measuring unit, or a measuring instrument. Also, depending on how it's pronounced, it's one or the other.

Measuring instrument:
micrometer
/mʌɪˈkrɒmɪtə/

Measuring unit:
micrometre
/ˈmʌɪkrə(ʊ)ˌmiːtə/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf