Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2787439 times)

McBryce and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11575 on: September 26, 2022, 09:14:42 am »
I bought some banana plugs to make my own 4 wire shorts, copying Fluke's layout is easy, the only problem is that they use 2.5mm PCB, I plan to use two PCBs stacked.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:16:30 am by gamalot »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11576 on: September 26, 2022, 10:59:48 am »
On the local craigslist I bought an "Isolating amplifier switch" from ELWE  model M35.
It seems to be an apparatus that can present 3 signals on one scope channel.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11577 on: September 26, 2022, 01:05:11 pm »

Crucial 1TB SSD, CT1000BX500SSD1 on sale for $65, which is just about the only reason I could come up with for buying it.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-BX500-NAND-2-5-Inch-Internal/dp/B07YD579WM/

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11578 on: September 26, 2022, 04:17:01 pm »
Bonjour a tous:

Weekend at flea market and street sale in Paris...

ensemble: lot was EU25!
Lamps: Osram prof. flash lamp and 1600W Xenon for cinéma projection
Swiss army knife  Arrow T25 cable stapler
Samsung DVD ext USB,
Four vintage dynamic microphones, 1950s..1960s...Beyer, Philips, Italian Geloso, unknown (any recognition?)
3 use DIN or Tuchel connectors, one 4 pin Amphenol 91. a few with cases/box/stand

Your thoughts appreciated!

Jon

PS: unknown USBC thing (what is?)

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11579 on: September 26, 2022, 04:18:40 pm »
Oh dear.  I did one of those "Yes, No, Yes, No" and clicked the button.

I mean, it's not going to be stellar, but it's an upgrade in quality of like to the Owon USB scope and the cheap chinese MiniScope I have.

YeaPook 100Mhz (lol) Scope.  It's basically the same as the little tablet one that Dave reviewed a year or so ago.... but with physical buttons and dials instead of just touch screen.

Seems the alt brand is Fnirsi.

£180?  It might be worth it.  Cheapest beyond that is £350 for a Rigol.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B099S4QP3T/
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11580 on: September 26, 2022, 07:16:51 pm »
YeaPook :wtf:

Not matter what it looks like this should have set some alarm bells ringing.  :palm:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11581 on: September 26, 2022, 07:24:24 pm »
Mind you if it does FRA gain and phase Bode plots  - you've scored. :-+
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #11582 on: September 26, 2022, 07:37:24 pm »
Your 'estimate' is almost certainly wrong and is based on your conclusion then worked backwards to 'prove' your LSD attempted point.
The error margin is ±20% at most, the estimate is definitely not an order of magnitude off. There is no working backwards or forward, either the number is right or it is not.

The calculation is based on the resistance per square (the seller lists the PCB copper weight as 1oz./sqft). Based on the shape of the copper (counting pixels), I've calculated the resistances between the 4 junctions and from that, I've calculated the portion of the voltage that the sense terminals (right side) see when current is injected into the force terminals (left side), resulting in the resistance observed by the meter.
You can start a new thread if you feel that this question needs a deeper dive (or if you feel like your hunch about my calculations is almost certainly right), I'll happily contribute. I'm done derailing this particular thread for now.

Last time there was a THREAD on this I remember it was in the 10's of nV with this sort of layout well below the LSD on a 6 1/2 digit meter.
The thread you linked talks about that number in regard to a bent solid copper wire short. That wire is also shaped in a way that current between the force terminals doesn't flow by the sense terminals, such as in the product that you've found.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #11583 on: September 27, 2022, 06:18:27 am »

Looks like an enclosure for a M.2 SSD. Try to open it and look what's inside - if it is such a thing, they're supposed to be opened to install / remove your SSD.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: jonpaul

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11584 on: September 28, 2022, 01:53:06 am »

Looks like an enclosure for a M.2 SSD. Try to open it and look what's inside - if it is such a thing, they're supposed to be opened to install / remove your SSD.
Definitely, a M.2 enclosure, looks to big to be a Msata... got a few just like it.
usually comes in two M.2 flavors NGFF (next generation form factor 5Gbps Sata3) or NVme 10Gbps or above..
you can usually see it on the socket and if it takes key-M or Key B... but check if there is an M.2 drive in it.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 02:07:44 am by DaneLaw »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11585 on: September 28, 2022, 03:40:46 am »
I have a pair WD green M.2 120Gb (2018?). Works OK in the laptop. Bought a USB enclosure for backup. Keys fit but chipset no talkie talkie to the drive.  >:(
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: jonpaul

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11586 on: September 28, 2022, 06:55:33 am »
RE: USB2 thing:

YES it is an M2 USBC, probably from Alibaba.

BUT hard to open, removing the 4 tiny Philips screws, the wraparound alum shell will not pull off, and the end plates are stuck.

Any advise?

Mille mercies,

Jon

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11587 on: September 28, 2022, 06:57:28 am »
Collection is coming together.

10 pF ±0.5 pF mica
100 pF ±1% mica
1 nF ±0.5% mica
10 nF ±0.3% mica
100 nF ±0.3% mica
0.5 μF ±0.5% x 2 polystyrene
10 μF ±2% polypropylene
100 μF ±3% polyester

For larger values, the current plan is to use 10% 1 mF (1000 μF) tantalum SMD caps, which are still cheap. In series and parallel to get less deviation of capacitance value and higher voltage rating.

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11588 on: September 28, 2022, 02:56:53 pm »
BUT hard to open, removing the 4 tiny Philips screws, the wraparound alum shell will not pull off, and the end plates are stuck.

Try pushing the USBC port, pic attached I think it's the same one.

Hmm I want to make a little pencil drawer that attaches to a table...I'm thinking linear rails...this might get expensive.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11589 on: September 29, 2022, 05:09:45 am »
Your 'estimate' is almost certainly wrong and is based on your conclusion then worked backwards to 'prove' your LSD attempted point.
The error margin is ±20% at most, the estimate is definitely not an order of magnitude off. There is no working backwards or forward, either the number is right or it is not.

The calculation is based on the resistance per square (the seller lists the PCB copper weight as 1oz./sqft). Based on the shape of the copper (counting pixels), I've calculated the resistances between the 4 junctions and from that, I've calculated the portion of the voltage that the sense terminals (right side) see when current is injected into the force terminals (left side), resulting in the resistance observed by the meter.
You can start a new thread if you feel that this question needs a deeper dive (or if you feel like your hunch about my calculations is almost certainly right), I'll happily contribute. I'm done derailing this particular thread for now.

Last time there was a THREAD on this I remember it was in the 10's of nV with this sort of layout well below the LSD on a 6 1/2 digit meter.
The thread you linked talks about that number in regard to a bent solid copper wire short. That wire is also shaped in a way that current between the force terminals doesn't flow by the sense terminals, such as in the product that you've found.

You are now misrepresenting the OP on that linked thread to suit your argument. The OP produced a solid plate short and some of the feedback below from Dr Frank and others was that they saw no problem with it.What they did do was show some examples of what they had made using a single U shaped termination as one bit of wire is easier than lining up three and then relying on the solder joints to hold the Bananas in place.

Your initial issue was with the 'resistance' of the short on evilbay but then please explain how this is an issue when the Fluke and others use 10mil traces with an almost certainly far higher resistance? The Reason for this is to reduce the thermal issues no more and no less and be of a sufficiently low resistance for the calibration process to work. If you bothered to read the fluke link and try and understand it you would see that Thermal issues play more of an issue with these than absolute resistance.

Added to this that current flow across a wide short trace is not uniform but that is another whole can of worms
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11590 on: September 29, 2022, 08:20:04 pm »
I bought The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition from GOG. It was on sale 67% off. I already had it on Steam from years ago, but I really don't like the way Steam is all the time sniffing my butt (metaphorically speaking), so I avoid logging in there as much as possible.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11591 on: October 01, 2022, 11:35:38 pm »
Hi group,

I bought a Leeds & Northrup 4286 Kelvin Bridge Ohmmeter.

The bridge comes in a nice wooden box.

It has five ranges from 0-1.1m \$\Omega\$ to 0 - 11 \$\Omega\$
The stated accuracy is 2%, which is still pretty good today.

Here is the schematic:

From: https://www.rfcafe.com/references/radio-news/resistance-measurements-january-1946-radio-news.htm

It came with the battery, a No.6 1.5V Cell. It shown here next to an AA cell for scale.

On the 1.1m \$\Omega\$ it uses about 15A!!

I gave it a quick check and it is still within spec.

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 11:37:10 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, jonovid, syau

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11592 on: October 02, 2022, 02:49:13 am »
Those batteries were still readily available when I was a kid.  I think they were originally used in telephones, but by the time I was on the scene they were used to power glow plugs in model airplane engines.  Hence the name "Ignition Battery".

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11593 on: October 02, 2022, 04:19:09 am »
Hi group,

I bought a Leeds & Northrup 4286 Kelvin Bridge Ohmmeter.

The bridge comes in a nice wooden box.

It has five ranges from 0-1.1m \$\Omega\$ to 0 - 11 \$\Omega\$
The stated accuracy is 2%, which is still pretty good today.

Here is the schematic:

From: https://www.rfcafe.com/references/radio-news/resistance-measurements-january-1946-radio-news.htm

It came with the battery, a No.6 1.5V Cell. It shown here next to an AA cell for scale.

On the 1.1m \$\Omega\$ it uses about 15A!!

I gave it a quick check and it is still within spec.

Jay_Diddy_B

large single dry cell batteries with screw tops were used by the P.M.G. The Postmaster-General's Department in 1960s Australia under the Eveready brand for some telephones

Bridge Ohmmeter has classic appeal

Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11594 on: October 02, 2022, 04:43:13 am »
Why left dial scale is upside down?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11595 on: October 02, 2022, 02:57:41 pm »
Bonjour,

At the  Vide Grenier,  (street sale)  Jussieu, Paris 5eme

Akai ACM-100 condenser mic/case/stand/wind screens NIB EU 5

PSU for Dymo label EU 0.50

Coffee bean grinder, classic Moulinex EU 2 (had bad mains cable)

German Erem #20 long nosed pliers, EU 1 (was a bit corroded, dry joint)

Total money EU =$ 8.50

Hours of fun...

Jon

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11596 on: October 02, 2022, 03:31:48 pm »
Why left dial scale is upside down?

Hi,
The galvanometer is a field replaceable unit. The instructions for changing the galvanometer are included in the lid of the instrument. If you remove the two screws on either side of the galvanometer the assembly can be lifted out. The magnet remains in the instrument:

The electrical connections to the galvanometer are through the mounting screws.

It is very sensitivity this with 10uA from a Fluke 5101 calibrator:

The sensitivity doesn't matter, it is used as null detector.

Similar galvanometers were used in other Leeds and Northrup instruments. Some were mounted upside down. I suspect that the galvanometer on my 4286 was replaced with the wrong version in the past.

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline msuffidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11597 on: October 03, 2022, 04:57:15 am »
Got a Gigabyte RTX 3060 for $526 Canadian after tax. It was the last one on sale and I got it $10 less because someone returned it. I was not thrilled about that but there does not seem to be anything wrong with it.  Can't say for sure it was not used, but it did have the plastic wrap on the led window. The RGB led is kind of useless to me because I still use an old case with no window. I can't be bothered to get a new case so I take the lid off when I am going to full load for a while. That is also a Ryzen 5900X on a gen 1 Ryzen board a Asus Prime B350 Plus. I got the 5900X on sale for like $500 after tax. Mixed 2400 3200 ram. I run 2400 2400 15-15-15-35. One of the CPU fan leds died. Hope that isn't an issue. I am still clinging on to my Audigy2 pci at the bottom there. It goes to a gameport Microsoft Sidewinder.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 05:11:41 am by msuffidy »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #11598 on: October 03, 2022, 09:18:45 pm »
Six assortment boxes for my resistors and trimmer - And at last a case for using my dymo labelprinter.. 8)

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11599 on: October 05, 2022, 03:23:01 am »
Took about a month to get here by surface...oh my god it's beautiful.  ^-^

It's a Sartorius MSE2202 balance used from Yahoo auctions Japan, all told it was ~USD130 shipped which is a bargain considering these are in the $2k range new. Should clean up nicely I think they must have used the plastic chassis cover all its life (that has yellowed to hell).

Display is easy to read, boot up time is only 5 seconds so that's not too bad. The response on small additions is excellent compared to a typical strain gauge balance.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf