Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2788001 times)

at_sr and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11750 on: December 01, 2022, 03:43:10 pm »
It's the focusing. A bright light reduces the iris size and increases depth of field. You achieve similar by making a small aperture between both thumbs and forefingers and peeking through that, but brighter light is much nicer :)

Was going to say just that.  Same for screwing up your eyes to use your eyelids as a forced pinhole lense.  I'm sure every glasses wearer knows what I'm talking about trying to read your phone in the morning.

EDIT: One thing I did spend about £7.99 on was a ring light magnifying glass, which has a handle that expands into a stand.  It also has an independant (non charging) USB input so you don't need to keep replacing the batteries.   It's great for quick "rewiring" a breadboard or a quick solder when it's not worth pulling down the bit magnifier light.  It takes up very little room and can be folded and unfolded with one hand, with practice.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 03:55:18 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11751 on: December 01, 2022, 05:24:07 pm »
I got a used E-cal unit for my ZNB8 VNA and added on some new Type-N to SMA adapters.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11752 on: December 02, 2022, 12:51:46 am »
A Cuckoo Rice Cooker - after a second thought with amazon I went to another online supplier. These devices say 120V but I'll be surprised if I will have to use my uk/us autotransformer?

https://longdan.co.uk/collections/cuckoo

Says 240V on that site, for the one I checked.
Its a heater coil, so you'd want the right voltage.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11753 on: December 05, 2022, 12:44:07 pm »
arrived today - impressed with the glossy jeff koons tech look. The voltage is right :phew:
Funny, the things you have the hardest time parting with are the things you need the least - Bob Dylan

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11754 on: December 05, 2022, 02:09:01 pm »
A friend included this surprise Tektronix 2701 attenuator in a package of other parts via post.

The vintage 2701 attenuator is 0..80 db 50 Ohms, uses the same thick film céramique attenuators and cam switches as in wideband scopes and plug-ins.

1 ghz, 1.5 W rating . very useful and different than the HP attenuators.....

your thoughts appreciated!

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, Mortymore

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11755 on: December 06, 2022, 09:59:12 am »
A Phillips PM5711 pulse generator will be delivered today.
Nice clean pulses and a rise time of 36.5ns
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 11:54:48 am by RAPo »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11756 on: December 08, 2022, 08:30:48 am »
Went to a Trade day at the local den of Tool Corruption who were offering 20% loyalty discounts toward my next purchase from todays purchases. Now what to spend these on  :-DD

So "another" 5" grinder but this one is corded and variable speed for better abrasive performance and to stop chewing up my batteries in the shop also lower speed is way way better for abrasives. Getting hard to buy corded but for a grinder it makes so much sense as an everyday one. Wasn't that fussed about staying with Makita here like all my cordless stuff but Metabo has always done Sanding and Grinding well in the past.

WEV11-125 Quick https://www.totaltools.com.au/98119-metabo-125mm-1550-watt-variable-speed-angle-grinder-wev15125?srsltid=AYJSbAc5CUZC8x5O5EvD1QrPk4yaX819prbsnkldbB9rIqaVnUC9K6QEWWQ

Also grabbed a 15W LiPo worklight (and BT speaker) for $30 AUD for the Aussie locals. Works great and cheap thing to add to the Car or tools. Powerbank capabilities, speakers and light so great value.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/138687-total-tools-15w-rechargeable-led-light-w-speaker-tt15wbtled

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #11757 on: December 08, 2022, 11:11:08 am »
Taking advantage of the black Friday promotions, I got a Western Digital Blue 8TB drive to be used as a tertiary file backup repo.

The 8TB is the only remaining CMR drive in the WD Blue line of products - something that gives me peace of mind for data storage.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11758 on: December 09, 2022, 07:11:57 am »
endoscope 5mm diameter camera
PC USB or Android phone
y pay for more cable length & higher resolution as I understand it.
also the 7mm  diameter cameras may run a bit cooler.
however 360p at 1 Meter will do most jobs, whether its a peek inside car doors looking for rust , in-to engine spark plug holes,
inside roof cavity's ,walls, body cavity's (veterinary or yourself at your own peril) it may not be waterproof.
peeking inside electronics cases without voiding your warranty ( if there is a 5.2mm hole or gap in the case)
when used the 5mm color camera tip got hot in just 2 minutes, so had to un-plug it for a cooldown.
the LED lighting bezel runs hot.
came with a handy 45 degree angle 5mm mirror tip. see image. also note- a good camera cleaning kit is also highly recommended.
as the lens window will get cruddy quickly with use.
just another set of cameras for my collection. I'm still on the lookout for a sub 3mm endoscope if its affordable.
then I can assault ant hills & make cool electronics videos from a bug's perspective, tip for you Dave. 
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11759 on: December 11, 2022, 12:05:03 pm »
Just got a Shelly 1PM X1 Wifi 16A remote power switch and monitor

Needed this type of control for years....lots of DIY and hard to use similar ....

$18.50 Amazon...

100..240V or DC, control via mobile app or web on WiFi net

PERFECT!

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: oilburner

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11760 on: December 11, 2022, 04:41:32 pm »
On Tuesday, a Simpson 303-3xl will arrive on my doorstep.
What a beauty:
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 01:40:10 pm by RAPo »

Offline Sherlock Holmes

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11761 on: December 11, 2022, 05:10:01 pm »
and
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 05:15:41 pm by Sherlock Holmes »
“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” ~ Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #11762 on: December 12, 2022, 12:12:41 am »
@ jonovid

Got a few of these. They are very useful in many usage.
Good for the price but they vary a lot in quality, irrespective of the claimed specs.

Some will last a few weeks when used at max illumination (overheat). Some have very low fps and need to held in place for a second or so the have a useful image. Some are not waterproof as claimed.
You need to clean the front window to avoid reflections stray light from the led illumination but by the time you get to your objective the window gets dirty.
Also look at the 45deg mirror as it might have a plastic peel-off that is matched to the mirror size and not readily noticeable in normal light.
All worked well with the Win camera app, no need to download a dodgy app from an unknown source.

Ended up getting a pro model that is incredibly superior.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11763 on: December 12, 2022, 12:53:06 am »
Ended up getting a pro model that is incredibly superior

Do you have a model ref or URL for that?

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #11764 on: December 12, 2022, 05:56:30 pm »
@ jonovid

Got a few of these. They are very useful in many usage.
Good for the price but they vary a lot in quality, irrespective of the claimed specs.

Some will last a few weeks when used at max illumination (overheat). Some have very low fps and need to held in place for a second or so the have a useful image. Some are not waterproof as claimed.
You need to clean the front window to avoid reflections stray light from the led illumination but by the time you get to your objective the window gets dirty.
Also look at the 45deg mirror as it might have a plastic peel-off that is matched to the mirror size and not readily noticeable in normal light.
All worked well with the Win camera app, no need to download a dodgy app from an unknown source.

Ended up getting a pro model that is incredibly superior.

Model?  allEx product description
5.5 7MM Android Endoscope 3 In 1 USB/Micro USB/Type-C Borescope Inspection Camera Waterproof for Smartphone

sold with or without end video screen with a handle & other accessories  seen on   pages 5 to 7 of the user manual
all have the same control box on the cable length end with a square button.
brightness control? mine did not have a thumbwheel.
however this maybe on the android app.  or the PC application. I did not download it.
as the endoscope works with existing plug & play video microscope applications.
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #11765 on: December 12, 2022, 11:02:05 pm »
@jonovid and PlainName

Mine from almost a decade ago is an Olympus CYF-240 endoscope with the video attachment that I got used.
Now, considering  :scared: its prior history. That would mean a good IPA clean and autoclaving if you have a friend with one.

As stated I got a lot of the cheaper ebay and alibaba ones for a LOT (a BIG LOT cheaper!!) cheaper but they never matched the Olympus for electronics use and hidden parts inspection.
Another place to look would be used ones for the aircraft industry.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:04:40 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

The following users thanked this post: PlainName

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11766 on: December 13, 2022, 04:38:21 am »
Got a new internet connection. Phone company was stuck with DSL in my area (no FTTH here yet) so went over to the cable company.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14066618429
It's fast enough now!  :scared:
Much cheaper than my previous service too.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11767 on: December 13, 2022, 10:58:00 am »
If you order off AliExpress as a kind of sleeping pill to put you to sleep.  You buy one or two cheap things two or three times a week.

It seems that AliExpress do everything they can to slow down your early orders so the later ones catch up to them at various "consolidation centres".

The net result for me was about 15 different orders I had open ALL arrived in one large AliExpress sack this morning.  Lots of little envelopes to go through now.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11768 on: December 15, 2022, 12:50:31 am »
The Fluke 83V that was delivered this morning, I don't understand where its market positioning is, but you have to buy when you can get it at a much lower price than the list price.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11769 on: December 15, 2022, 12:54:46 am »
 :-// crazy deal on these 6 on evilbay. The Straight leg dividers points appear unused and totally unmolested so I think all of them have never been used. I paid less for all 6 than a set of 4" dividers sells for.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11770 on: December 15, 2022, 01:46:49 am »
Just received a 7000 series scope module extender (obviously not a genuine Tek article) from a chap in Illinois, USA.  Will try it out in next few days.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 01:51:31 am by basinstreetdesign »
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11771 on: December 15, 2022, 01:54:57 am »
Got a new internet connection.
Much cheaper than my previous service too.

I'm in Ontario.  Who was your previous service with?
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline veedub565

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11772 on: December 15, 2022, 06:37:17 pm »
I bought a HP 3335A, don't know why but one of these just appealed to me. Decent resolution and flatness on these instruments. And a 75ohm output, which is handy as I already have an 8591C and W&G EPM-1.

It's got the odd scratch, but pretty much mint condition, really nice and tidy !

Fan is noisy, can hear it running wherever I am in the house. The rushing air I can cope with, the droning noise.. not so much.  May try a newer quieter one at some point. Care needs to be taken on CFM for these old units as they have quite a  positive air pressure in the case.

Offline pyr0boy

« Reply #11773 on: December 16, 2022, 12:04:27 am »
Today I picked up my latest score;

A Matsusada REK 300 - 5.3
300V 5.3A Power Supply
https://www.matsusada.com/product/dcps/rack/rek/#models

&

A Matsusada RK250 - 4.8
250V 4.8A Power Supply
https://www.matsusada.com/product/dcps/handy/rk/

Total spend $320

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline DiTBho

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11774 on: December 16, 2022, 06:47:42 pm »
Brooks England C17 Carved Cambium All Wheather Saddle
Modified with titanium rails  :o :o :o
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf