Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781153 times)

Calambres and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11875 on: January 23, 2023, 12:53:42 pm »
Nice, how are the cutters and jaw points on them?

I got a set of Klien pliers as a present a decade or more ago.  They have one or two nicks in the cutter blades, but they will still cut a human hair in the undamaged parts.

As a test I once put a cigarette paper and a motorcycle clutch cable into them at the same time and it cut cleanly through both in the same closure.

Their jaw points don't actually meet, which I thought was a design oversight until I used them to strip cables and went, "Ah ha!", not a mistake.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Ribster

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics prototyper. Design. Prototype. Consult
    • Ash Labs
« Reply #11876 on: January 23, 2023, 03:24:20 pm »
Another xbox one s console. This one has a green screen of death.

$80 + postage.

Oh you can fix these by reflowing the CPU.
It's a known issue. Some people did it in their home kitchen oven, and worked most of the time :)
www.ashlabs.be
Design and manufacturing of embedded hard- and software

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11877 on: January 23, 2023, 03:27:28 pm »
Yes, i remember the "Towel mod", where people "reflowed" the CPU by wrapping the console in  a towel blocking the vents and let it run for a while.
 :o
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: Ribster, bigfoot22

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #11878 on: January 23, 2023, 05:13:33 pm »
Yes, i remember the "Towel mod", where people "reflowed" the CPU by wrapping the console in  a towel blocking the vents and let it run for a while.
 :o

It's amazing that any big product like that could have such terrible thermal management and monitoring that it would ever allow it to get hot enough to reflow.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11879 on: January 23, 2023, 10:45:16 pm »
Nice, how are the cutters and jaw points on them?

I got a set of Klien pliers as a present a decade or more ago.  They have one or two nicks in the cutter blades, but they will still cut a human hair in the undamaged parts.

As a test I once put a cigarette paper and a motorcycle clutch cable into them at the same time and it cut cleanly through both in the same closure.

Their jaw points don't actually meet, which I thought was a design oversight until I used them to strip cables and went, "Ah ha!", not a mistake.

The Pliers are a hardened set (harder than the cutters) and the jaws closer to the hinge have a small gap but across the main part are tight. Cutters engage at the tip first with no pressure and with light pressure (blurry shot  :palm: ) close up perfectly so they are 'currently' uniform until I do something nasty to them  :-DD

Engaging at the tip first makes sense if that is intentional  :-// as the finer part will be easier to flex than the rear fatter part to get a full flat cut.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11880 on: January 24, 2023, 01:09:10 pm »
A Paco model v-70 vacuum tube voltmeter and a Paco model sc-1 condenser substitution box are on its way.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11881 on: January 25, 2023, 10:33:35 am »
I treated myself to a set of Knipex 00 20 72 V01 mini pliers.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11882 on: January 25, 2023, 11:36:27 am »
This is a little too easy...

I think so, too :)

It seems to me you are buying at close to the price of working consoles (at least, that's what they are here in the UK), and it's those you will be competing with once you have the things working. But you won't be getting that price, even you sell them at that price, because Ebay will take their cut and your payment processor will take their cut, and there is shipping on top. If you can make that work then it is a cool way to get some new toys, but I think it best to wait until you've actually got rid of the stuff before celebrating.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11883 on: January 25, 2023, 02:01:31 pm »
I don't want to put you off and think that any attempt to make a go of things is great, but one has to be realistic at some point. Perhaps there is a market for 'professionally refurbished' machines that are a bit more expensive than generic used ones. You might have to wait a while for someone to bite, though, and of course the finish would need to be very good.

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11884 on: January 25, 2023, 07:01:11 pm »
Yes, some days are better spent in bed :)

Good luck, anyway.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11885 on: January 25, 2023, 09:16:37 pm »
Good condition consoles hover around $200

Ah! I just realised that you could well be talking AUD rather than the more robust USD, so the prices you pay are indeed a fair bit lower than the USD-GBP conversion would suggest. Sorry!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11886 on: January 25, 2023, 10:24:44 pm »
Looking on Gumtree, xbox one s are listed for ~$200.
Seems like you'd be able to sell it for 160-180 and not have to deal with shipping or fees.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11887 on: January 26, 2023, 03:49:25 pm »
Here they are

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11888 on: January 26, 2023, 07:53:06 pm »
You'll never guess, but if you do, you'll never guess what it will be adapted to be...

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #11889 on: January 26, 2023, 11:39:24 pm »
You'll never guess, but if you do, you'll never guess what it will be adapted to be...

Looks a lot like the thing that the divorce lawyers had my balls in.
iratus parum formica

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, cheeseit

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11890 on: January 27, 2023, 12:56:18 am »

Looks a lot like the thing that the divorce lawyers had my balls in.

Squishing things is part of the plan. Not quite that way though, but yes  :-DD

BTW, I had to do a ball squeezer google image search, and what I think you're referring to included inappropriate imagery...  :o

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11891 on: January 27, 2023, 02:36:54 am »
Bought a bunch of temperature recorders.  Pull the tab and a geared motor like found in common wall-clock movements is started. A stylus mounted on the end of a coil makes an impression on carbon paper. Cost was $0.10 a piece. Batteries probably need to be replaced.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #11892 on: January 27, 2023, 02:42:35 am »
Bought a bunch of temperature recorders.  Pull the tab and a geared motor like found in common wall-clock movements is started. A stylus mounted on the end of a coil makes an impression on carbon paper. Cost was $0.10 a piece. Batteries probably need to be replaced.

Redmond, WA? Does it interface to W10?  >:D

How does the temp. graph make a dark line on the paper?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11893 on: January 27, 2023, 04:05:54 am »
How does the temp. graph make a dark line on the paper?

When you close the box the stylus impinges on the roll of paper which appears to be like carbon-copy paper. So theoretically if you found the right kind of paper you could turn it into a longer-term temperature chart recorder.

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11894 on: January 27, 2023, 10:06:41 am »
 Another vintage (2017) HP mono wireless laser printer M12W (my 4th!)

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-Wireless-Replenishment-T0L46A/dp/B01LBWEMM2

Off epay, made an offer $60 incl shipping... only 200 pages used with toner

Great printer, fast, quiet low power...now unobtanium except at high cost...

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline pardo-bsso

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11895 on: January 27, 2023, 12:27:47 pm »

I had a similar device used to repair pinions in clocks.
But for the size looks more like a guide for leather punches.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11896 on: January 27, 2023, 04:21:50 pm »
Engaging at the tip first makes sense if that is intentional  :-// as the finer part will be easier to flex than the rear fatter part to get a full flat cut.

After I posted it dawned on me why the jaw points don't meet.  It's so you can re-surface the cutter blades.  They only meet at the cutter blades, so if you grind them back to sharp and lose 0.25mm of cutter blade, they still meet (if machined well).
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11897 on: January 28, 2023, 12:56:12 am »

After I posted it dawned on me why the jaw points don't meet.  It's so you can re-surface the cutter blades.  They only meet at the cutter blades, so if you grind them back to sharp and lose 0.25mm of cutter blade, they still meet (if machined well).

Part of the issue with a regrind is you need to make that in reference to the pivot point rather than blade to blade or you will screw up the geometry. So a tip heavy grind will be needed to keep them tight when closed.

Yes I was bored with my current CAD project too and needed a break and the geometry challenge was interesting ;D 1 degree of jaw opening shown
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11898 on: January 28, 2023, 01:37:30 am »
new HV probe. I had a old probe but the resistor inside looks like it was 'smokey' with particulate under the top coat, and it was generally quite old plastic, so I decided to buy a new fluke probe to keep safety up. I don't think its wise to save money in that area.

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11899 on: January 28, 2023, 08:26:28 am »
After a nutty November/December and January  :palm: I finally got time to open the tabs on the box that arrived 3 weeks ago containing my Reci 100W Laser Tube. I did give it a light shake on arrival and no glass tinkle tinkle sounds came out so that was as far as I got.

Outer ply "Induste al" protection, Inner thick cardboard and 50-60mm of foam wrap before anything gets to the fragile bits  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf