Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754071 times)

Emo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #11925 on: February 03, 2023, 02:50:52 pm »
Was going to DIY up an amp and reuse previous speakers passively, but it turns out just as easy and not at all more expensive to just replace them with new active ones.... with optical and no shared grounds!

"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11926 on: February 03, 2023, 03:29:08 pm »
Does it need a power supply mod to make it safe?

Why would it need that?

Because some aren't properly grounded, some are incorrectly wired at the power cables and some have a metal heatsink sitting directly over a mains trace (the last one is from memory, so may not be 100% accurate).

Online paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11927 on: February 03, 2023, 05:11:58 pm »

Why would it need that?

Because some aren't properly grounded, some are incorrectly wired at the power cables and some have a metal heatsink sitting directly over a mains trace (the last one is from memory, so may not be 100% accurate).

The OP looks like a more reputible unit.  The 858D clone I bought has an issue where the fan slows down if you hold the handle upside down.  It's probably some horrific wiring thing, I really should check.

But yes, various models have been opened on live stream to find things like the neutral wire going through the switch and fuse and the earth conductor not being connected at all.  Making the thing a shock hazard with a live "live" when it was switched off and no ground if that live should ever contact the metal interior of the blower handle.

More of an annoyance, but can be serious.  A lot of them have switch mode psus with 100VAC floating grounds, not a big issue, but annoying.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 05:14:32 pm by paulca »
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #11928 on: February 03, 2023, 07:30:11 pm »
Hook plier is superb to work on small connectors like BNC or SMA.

Does it have a name? I couldn't spot one when browsing likely collections, so something to search with would be cool.

Dental TC Bracket Removing Plier Curved Braces Remover Orthodontic Instruments. Different companies have other shapes too. Most do not have a full circle like this one.
Got this one from ebay.
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11929 on: February 03, 2023, 07:59:34 pm »
Dental TC Bracket Removing Plier Curved Braces Remover Orthodontic Instruments

Blimey! Certainly trips off the tongue.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
« Reply #11930 on: February 03, 2023, 08:23:20 pm »

Why would it need that?

Apart from the wiring issue that was mentioned there are other things to check.

Your unit looks like a better quality than many others but I would do a quick check just to be sure.
Look at the top video in this posting:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/electronic-workbench-fire/msg1700225/#msg1700225
The unit just started by itself and obviously has no thermal shutdown if it overheats.

I have a cheap one and the "on/off" front switch just activate a TRIAC that is on the mains at all time. This provides the power for another timer circuit the fan to cool off the tip after you press the off switch.
So, in the middle of the night a mains power transient can damage the TRIAC and power will go the the heater with nothing to stop it.
I then rewired a real of/off switch on the front panel to make sure OFF means OFF.
I would take a quick look to make sure it is the case for your unit.

Image 1 and 2 are the TRIAC and the mod.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:26:55 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #11931 on: February 03, 2023, 11:56:57 pm »

Ah right. Being sold by Farnell so I expect it will be fine. Will test either anyway and report back.

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11932 on: February 07, 2023, 10:32:53 am »
The postman was early today and delivered a bigbrother :D

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #11933 on: February 09, 2023, 06:37:35 am »
Windows 11 Pro. I know a lot of people don't like Microsoft and their products, but sometimes you have no other choice.

Offline purfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11934 on: February 09, 2023, 07:21:12 am »
I scored a Lynx EVO for (relatively) cheap at auction!

It came with two objectives and digital camera option, all for only $2700.
No software for the digital camera, not sure if I'll be able to get that working without forking over more money to Vision Engineering.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11935 on: February 09, 2023, 10:05:35 am »
So I have had one of these cheapy Multifuel MAPP/Acetylene/LPG Oxy Torches on my evilbay watch list for a long time. Helpful seller sent me an offer that was about the price of a dozen ok beers so I decided it was time.

Then I needed to spend around the price of 5 boxes of Beer buying the rest of the bits to properly use it including some 45% Silver Solder etc.

What a bargain Torch at least  :-DD

Not an essential for most EE's but playing with small bore tube, Brass and Copper sheeting etc just the thing rather than swearing at a junk MAP/LPG/Butane Burner. For me it will also see use with Carbide tooling among other non EE things

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11936 on: February 09, 2023, 10:28:26 am »
Looks the perfect thing to light the baccy in your pipe.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11937 on: February 09, 2023, 11:59:22 am »
RA Flux Liquid, RA Flux Paste, RMA Flux liquid, RMA flux paste, micro scratch brush w/inserts, various flux removers, flux bottles, long higher quality q-tips, replacement metal oxide resistors, a nice brass solder sponge holder and silver paint.

does anyone know where to get a non activated flux liquid in small quantities? Like 1oz.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:01:27 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11938 on: February 09, 2023, 12:09:52 pm »
I got the "ultimate" breadboard from ELV, highly recommendable..
With LEDs, trimmer, switches, pushbuttons, even a small squarewavegen upt to 100khz is included.
I take your ELV and raise you my new-to-me Knight ML2010 Mini Lab...  These are all over eBay and while most of the time ridiculously priced if you keep any eye out you get get one pretty reasonably.  I got mine for about $120 including shipping.  The ML2010 is the 'big' version, they also have a smaller ML200 that omits a few options.

The one thing that is annoying is because these were designed for educational use in schools, the lid is fixed to the case and only raises 90' straight up.  I'll have to come up with a solution to make it removable.  But it's also nice to be able to close it up and stick it in a closet when not in use.  And because it was designed for educational use, it's built like a tank.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11939 on: February 09, 2023, 12:27:53 pm »
does anyone know where to get a non activated flux liquid in small quantities? Like 1oz.

Buy rosin from a musical instruments store or amazon and dissolve in alcohol ?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Jackster

• Frequent Contributor
    • PCBA.UK
« Reply #11940 on: February 09, 2023, 09:51:52 pm »

Just opened it up. Nothing wrong with it. All connected and buzzed out.

The tool works great as well!

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #11941 on: February 09, 2023, 10:37:15 pm »

No software for the digital camera, not sure if I'll be able to get that working without forking over more money to Vision Engineering.

Please make a thread if you have time or find things worth sharing.
IMO me and others have kind of found that the Mantis is overhyped by Dave and not really that amazing for electronics use: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/disappointed-in-mantis-elite/
Would be interesting to see the Lynx side if anything changes there, I would assume they are better built.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11942 on: February 10, 2023, 12:11:01 am »
So I have had one of these cheapy Multifuel MAPP/Acetylene/LPG Oxy Torches on my evilbay watch list for a long time. Helpful seller sent me an offer that was about the price of a dozen ok beers so I decided it was time.

Then I needed to spend around the price of 5 boxes of Beer buying the rest of the bits to properly use it including some 45% Silver Solder etc.

Not an essential for most EE's but playing with small bore tube, Brass and Copper sheeting etc just the thing rather than swearing at a junk MAP/LPG/Butane Burner. For me it will also see use with Carbide tooling among other non EE things

I have a real Oxy-Acetylene set packed away in the shed.

When I first got it (actually, the one this set replaced after someone stole the original) I was a real "oxy moron", finding uses for it everywhere.
Over time, as the occasions when it left the shed became fewer & fewer, & my eyesight got worse, I rebelled at "signing my life away" to BOC for bottle hire & returned them.

More recently, I had Cataract operations, got my eyesight back, & have toyed with the idea of putting it back into service but have jibbed at the price of flashback arrestors which seem to have become mandatory in the meantime.

I might need new hoses too, so it is pretty much a "pipe dream".
In the end, I will probably end up flogging it off at a Swapmeet.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11943 on: February 10, 2023, 12:23:22 am »
but have jibbed at the price of flashback arrestors which seem to have become mandatory in the meantime.
In 50 years owning a gas set never used flashback arrestors and if you have any idea of what you're doing there's no need for them.
If you don't follow normal operation settings/pressures then you might.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #11944 on: February 10, 2023, 01:38:45 am »

When I first got it (actually, the one this set replaced after someone stole the original) I was a real "oxy moron", finding uses for it everywhere.
Over time, as the occasions when it left the shed became fewer & fewer, & my eyesight got worse, I rebelled at "signing my life away" to BOC for bottle hire & returned them.

More recently, I had Cataract operations, got my eyesight back, & have toyed with the idea of putting it back into service but have jibbed at the price of flashback arrestors which seem to have become mandatory in the meantime.

No real 'need' for Flashback arrestors but not a bad idea and not a huge cost these days. At least these days we can buy the bottle rather than hire them which pays back quickly over a few years instead of BOC extortion when they were the only game in town.

Unless you want to cut stuff up a high flow LPG Rosebud (for heating) and a smaller torch like this one will do most of what you need (we had a few similar sized ones among the class set with standard ones in school 30+ 40+ years ago (forgot I am that old  ;D ) for silver soldering and even fusion welding with Acetylene). For chopping stuff up Plasma is likely cheaper if you already have a decent compressor too.

Likely if you put up what you have on evilbay you would get the same sort of $ I spent on the disposable bottle kit if you only fire it up a few times a year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 01:42:40 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline purfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11945 on: February 10, 2023, 05:21:34 am »
I started that thread  ;D, so I'll be sure to post about the Lynx EVO when I get a chance.  Just playing around with it for an hour so far, I can say it definitely feels like a step up from the Mantis Elite.

Please make a thread if you have time or find things worth sharing.
IMO me and others have kind of found that the Mantis is overhyped by Dave and not really that amazing for electronics use: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/disappointed-in-mantis-elite/
Would be interesting to see the Lynx side if anything changes there, I would assume they are better built.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11946 on: February 10, 2023, 04:10:16 pm »
Just bought a XTOOL M1 10W laser cutting machine, which also includes a blade cutter. Also got the air nozzle to avoid burn marks in the cuts.

Bought it cause I want something with good software working outside the box.

https://www.xtool.eu/products/pre-order-xtool-m1-worlds-first-desktop-hybrid-laser-blade-cutting-machine

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11947 on: February 10, 2023, 06:25:37 pm »

oh for christ sakes just buy some hose and arrestors and enjoy the fire. Its like giving up on your drivers license or ability to eat solid food >:(

I even wanted to buy the crimp tools and stuff to make my own hoses so I can select the optimium hose for the work area. I don't know why people don't feel that the hose for the torches is any different then nice multimeter leads. You can even probobly put a braid over the hoses to make them look nice and have abrasion resistance, so many options to choose from. I polish that equipment too and scrub the hoses clean so they look nice. Or to have a manifold setup with different torches ready to go. For some reason some people seem to pinch pennies on this stuff, but its so capable and there is alot of engineering you can do just around the gas distribution system to make it nice and usable.

For instance
1) braided/protected hoses
2) gas distribution manifolds for multiple torches (standard, rosebud, cobra, smith mini torch, oxy/acetylene, air/acetylene)
3) quick disconnect
4) auto ingniter/fuel saver
5) torch holders
6) reels
7) hose holders that reduce weight on hands while working
8) torch assist holder arms (think smartgun from Aliens), I thought its possible to make an arm to help you hold that torch steady while you are working on it for a long time
9) actually figuring out thermal shields that work
10) all the stuff required for deep cavity welding/brazing (extensions etc)
11) optimal flux choices
12) heat focusing stuff (special cut firebricks, holders for them, etc).. aids in gas management/weld time
13) experiments with visors/eye protection involving optimum visibility (wow, the stuff about aluminum sodium flare and the lens choice is just all over the place, going into audiophile territory).
14) fixturing, endless
15) exotic brazing (titanium for instance), new world out there.

Huge world of possibilities. Hard to get any of that stuff right though, but there is no reason to think that acetylene ends at caveman desperado HVAC guy operating from a rusty old chevy van, or metal scrapers that have atomically thin margins. I feel like 95% of the content out there about acetylene is fouled up by budget independent trade workers considering cost only... well this is electronics buddy, we are not interested in how many chinese food soft serve ice cream machines and hotel ice makers you managed to service for 50 cents... how about exotic RF parts otherwise unavailable.. the majority of people talking about acetylene see it as a "solution" not a specific method or capability.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:45:28 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11948 on: February 10, 2023, 08:10:35 pm »
I even wanted to buy the crimp tools and stuff to make my own hoses so I can select the optimium hose for the work area.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #11949 on: February 11, 2023, 05:27:53 pm »
nah the nice hoses have a hex crimp on them like a coaxial. Those kinds suck for hose you have to handle.

But its a bit over kill , because you can have the guy in the weld store make them. Not a bad idea to ask, they are yearning to utilize the skills learned in welding engineering & technician school, rather then using a bar code reader on a blister pack. The good stores have tooling so you can get custom lengths made up. Not worth trying to get rid of the middle man there because you don't need alot of them and the tooling is kinda heavy.

Mine were crimped in the weld store 8 years ago and I have 0 problems.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:32:29 pm by coppercone2 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf