Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754736 times)

Offline Mark

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2015, 06:55:18 pm »
My lovely wife just bought me a second DS1054Z!  (I have a birthday coming up ;) )

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2015, 07:41:31 pm »
Scored this HP 4328A for $80 bucks shipped a while back.

Offline richfiles

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #202 on: July 18, 2015, 08:04:05 pm »
I bought an FDAI (Flight Director/Attitude Indicator), along with 2 Arduino Mega2560s and 4 Pro Minis (clones from Microcenter). SADLY... the only serial interface for the micros they had in stock was the FTDI version... (I did not like paying any kind of money for an FTDI product). The arduinos are my first foray into microcontrollers. Call me old school... I've had a preference for digital logic for years, but I need to build some new skills. I haven't programed since the Commodore 64 days, and HyperCard and HyperStudio on Mac.

I'll be using the FDAI, along with a variety of meters, displays, indicators, switches, buttons, and other controls to build a "Command Module" styled controller for Kerbal Space Program. The Ratheon chip has a 1974 date code. This puppy is five years older than I am!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:07:56 pm by richfiles »

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
Keithley 2000 in perfect working condition calibrated 2 years ago, located 10km from me for 200 CHF (~200 USD/280AUD).
Sadly no printed manual, but Keythley manuals are available on their website. Pics when I get it on thursday.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2015, 09:57:32 pm »
I received an HP10020A in a case containing:
  • 1.5GHz scope probe
  • accessories, including a nice spear ground
  • 1:1, 5:1, 10:1, 20:1, 100:1 variants,
  • all with a tip capacitance of <0.7pF.
Price:£40 (plus £20 shipping from Oz, which neither I nor the vendor liked!)

:)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Obin

• Contributor
  • Hi
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2015, 11:05:07 pm »
I finally got around to buying the Rigol DS1054Z! Can't wait untill it arrives

Also some zener diodes to experiment with (cost me about 400 times less than the Rigol  :P)

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #206 on: July 21, 2015, 09:14:39 am »
Like Obin above a DS1054Z a Fluke 175 and other varying bits and bobs.
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline Spekkio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »
I lost my favorite pincette. I can't understand where I put it. Completly gone. I hate it when things dissapears.

Anyway, I bought 4 new ones

And these minicontainers for SMD's, resistors and capacitors and other chips. I really like them

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2015, 12:22:52 pm »
I lost my favorite pincette. I can't understand where I put it. Completly gone. I hate it when things dissapears.

Check SWMBO's handbag if applicable....
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2015, 12:37:32 pm »
Scored just few days ago a Fluke PM6306 RCL Meter. (posted at other thread too)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2015, 12:44:10 pm »

She knows where the cheap ones in my toolbox are.  I hide the good ESD safe tweezers from prying eyes.  To her credit, she does put them back when she is done.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2015, 01:18:51 pm »
Well I just bought £250 worth of consumables for my workshop but it's all stuff like screws and flux and crimp terminals which is as dull as dishwater. So instead here's a picture of what my friend bought yesterday which will be in my home workshop for the foreseeable future for a bit of an overhaul. I get bored of coming home from doing electronics at work with clean fingernails so it's good to do a bit of this in the evenings  :D

Not really anything electrical on it, it's got mechanical fuel and injector pumps. Just an electric starter motor and headlights. All positive-earth fed from a dynamo :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2015, 08:01:17 pm »
So instead here's a picture of what my friend bought yesterday which will be in my home workshop for the foreseeable future for a bit of an overhaul.
Not really anything electrical on it, it's got mechanical fuel and injector pumps. Just an electric starter motor and headlights. All positive-earth fed from a dynamo :)
Fordson Major or Super Major, ~ 60hp thats the drum brake model and it seems it's been repowered with an aftermarket Ebro engine or similar.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2015, 12:34:41 am »
Well I just bought £250 worth of consumables for my workshop but it's all stuff like screws and flux and crimp terminals which is as dull as dishwater. So instead here's a picture of what my friend bought yesterday which will be in my home workshop for the foreseeable future for a bit of an overhaul. I get bored of coming home from doing electronics at work with clean fingernails so it's good to do a bit of this in the evenings  :D

You have clean fingernails after doing Electronics work?
Obviously you don't work in TV Broadcasting! ;D

Offline Postal666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2015, 01:27:00 am »
Not all that exciting, but here goes...

Offline Spekkio

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2015, 07:06:42 am »

:-DD
lol, no. I live alone.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2015, 07:14:36 am »

:-DD
lol, no. I live alone.

I once lost a couple of Needle Files, it was most annoying when i was wanting to use them to file a case down for a pot, turned up in the ex wifes handbag some days later, she calmly pulled it out as I was driving and didn't turn an eyebrow, her excuse was they were better than her own nail files !.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »
Now I have to hide my files, too? :palm:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »
GreyWolfe, only the half round or flat ones, it seems the other shapes are no good for nails. ~Oh and your side cutters, seems they are better for cutting nails than a nail clipper too.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:09:39 pm by Deathwish »

Offline DenzilPenberthy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »
Fordson Major or Super Major, ~ 60hp thats the drum brake model and it seems it's been repowered with an aftermarket Ebro engine or similar.

Yep, a Fordson E1A New Major. AFAIK it has the original diesel engine (only 35ish hp) but I'm not an expert on these so could be wrong. After some more poking around last night, it turns out the broken/seized gearbox it had was just a stuck handbrake mechanism, happy smiles all round.

I might start on some re-wiring tonight. It's all mostly working but I think some new crimp terminals and some emery paper and switch cleaner will do it the world of good.

Also - yep I use my expensive tiny side cutters to do my nails :)

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:38 pm »
Not a purchase but I've just been given a box full of Amiga 600s and 1200s, 2 Atari STEs and a Falcon.

None of the Amigas were meant to be working but it turns out that all of the PSUs had died* and they work fine with the ones I have apart from 1 having a dodgy keyboard and another needing a floppy drive (already replaced lol). Apart from those two issues all of them are mint, in boxes, and have all the bundled disks, manuals, leads etc plus some extras. I'm going to be tight and swap the Falcon and one A1200 for some consoles and bundle in some games in a charity auction as 1) while the A1200 may be better for gaming than the Falcon neither are as well supported as their 16 bit antecedents for gaming and it's a gaming themed auction the machines are going to and 2) I don't have either but with them I only need a Mega ST to complete my ST/Amiga collection.

*I did inform the person who gave me them of that because they gave me them thinking I may be able to cannibalise them to get a couple of working systems, but seeing as most of them will be auctioned for charity they don't want them back.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:52:31 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »
Not a purchase but I've just been given a box full of Amiga 600s and 1200s, 2 Atari STEs and a Falcon.

None of the Amigas were meant to be working but it turns out that all of the PSUs had died* and they work fine with the ones I have apart from 1 having a dodgy keyboard and another needing a floppy drive (already replaced lol). Apart from those two issues all of them are mint, in boxes, and have all the bundled disks, manuals, leads etc plus some extras. I'm going to be tight and swap the Falcon and one A1200 for some consoles and bundle in some games in a charity auction as 1) while the A1200 may be better for gaming than the Falcon neither are as well supported as their 16 bit antecedents for gaming and it's a gaming themed auction the machines are going to and 2) I don't have either but with them I only need a Mega ST to complete my ST/Amiga collection.

*I did inform the person who gave me them of that because they gave me them thinking I may be able to cannibalise them to get a couple of working systems, but seeing as most of them will be auctioned for charity they don't want them back.

If they are being auctioned to non-electronics people, you'd probably be best off replacing the electrolytics in the A600s and A1200s, they are usually leaking by now.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2015, 02:01:34 pm »
Not all that exciting, but here goes...
Nice
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
If they are being auctioned to non-electronics people, you'd probably be best off replacing the electrolytics in the A600s and A1200s, they are usually leaking by now.

McBryce.

I've had a cursory look over and everything seems fine, but I will indeed have a proper look over them and replace anything I think needs it before the auction. I wouldn't be surprised if that's all that's wrong with the Amiga PSUs. I'll be swapping out the ST PSUs for already refurbished, tested, and known good units too. But honestly every single one of these machines except for what I'm guessing was the most used A1200* not only looked brand new but smelled it when opened too lol.

*Heavily upgraded, it was also the one with the faulty floppy drive. <--That's the one I'm keeping but may "downgrade" it a bit to make it more standard. That all depends on compatibility though.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 02:51:55 pm by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:52 pm »

Yep, a Fordson E1A New Major. AFAIK it has the original diesel engine (only 35ish hp) but I'm not an expert on these so could be wrong. After some more poking around last night, it turns out the broken/seized gearbox it had was just a stuck handbrake mechanism, happy smiles all round.

I might start on some re-wiring tonight. It's all mostly working but I think some new crimp terminals and some emery paper and switch cleaner will do it the world of good.

Also - yep I use my expensive tiny side cutters to do my nails :)

I'd enjoy an old tractor or similar as a fun toy, but the garage is too full as it is. I do have a mad acquaintance who either uses his tractor or his Rolls to go shopping.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf