Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2742908 times)

Offline bollio

• Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #1700 on: July 03, 2016, 11:04:41 pm »
Was going to post this in repairs, but since I just got her and already posted a pic here I thought I'd update in this thread.

So after replacing 1 of the 4 2n3055's, replacing the toasted resistors (3), replacing all of the 104z ceramic caps (4), running some bodge wires to replace the traces that had blown off the pcb... SHE WORKS PERFECTLY!  (Except for the blown LEDs that indicate separate or tracking modes, but they were hot glued in and i can see the damn switch right below them!  I'll get to them eventually LOL).

All in all, about $7 in parts and this old girl is purring again!

Oh I guess I suppose I should give credit to another new addition as well... picked up a DER EE DE 5000 LCR, which I put to good use identifying all the dead components (well, the ones that weren't obviously toasted anyway).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1701 on: July 04, 2016, 12:09:50 am »
Was going to post this in repairs, but since I just got her and already posted a pic here I thought I'd update in this thread.

So after replacing 1 of the 4 2n3055's, replacing the toasted resistors (3), replacing all of the 104z ceramic caps (4), running some bodge wires to replace the traces that had blown off the pcb... SHE WORKS PERFECTLY!  (Except for the blown LEDs that indicate separate or tracking modes, but they were hot glued in and i can see the damn switch right below them!  I'll get to them eventually LOL).

All in all, about $7 in parts and this old girl is purring again!

Oh I guess I suppose I should give credit to another new addition as well... picked up a DER EE DE 5000 LCR, which I put to good use identifying all the dead components (well, the ones that weren't obviously toasted anyway).
Please do so, somebody may be very grateful in the future when they find your repair thread.
A few inside pics and a blow by blow commentary would be neat.
Compress your pics if fine detail is not needed, ~100 kb seems plenty.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1702 on: July 05, 2016, 07:48:44 am »
Well, after more than seven months of monitoring ebuy, I finally found and snagged a reasonably priced copy of the POH (Pilot's Operating Handbook, aka operating and service manual) for the HP 2402A integrating DVM that I snagged on my December trip to California.  Now I just need to get the meter boxed up and shipped home (it's sitting on a shelf out in the CA facility) on my next visit.

I was beginning to doubt I'd ever find one - IIRC I've seen perhaps one or two of the manuals listed for sale, but the sellers thought they were printed on gold leaf or something.  Unfortunately none of the usual suspects (BAMA, K04BB or Artek) have copies and it seems to be a relatively rare meter so there are probably not all that many copies floating around in the wild, so when one popped up for $20 OBO I jumped on it.  This one should be cool to play with - it's an interesting looking piece of kit with a lot of stuff crammed inside.

-Pat   
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1703 on: July 05, 2016, 10:41:44 am »
Well, after more than seven months of monitoring ebuy, I finally found and snagged a reasonably priced copy of the POH (Pilot's Operating Handbook, aka operating and service manual) for the HP 2402A integrating DVM that I snagged on my December trip to California.  Now I just need to get the meter boxed up and shipped home (it's sitting on a shelf out in the CA facility) on my next visit.

I was beginning to doubt I'd ever find one - IIRC I've seen perhaps one or two of the manuals listed for sale, but the sellers thought they were printed on gold leaf or something.  Unfortunately none of the usual suspects (BAMA, K04BB or Artek) have copies and it seems to be a relatively rare meter so there are probably not all that many copies floating around in the wild, so when one popped up for $20 OBO I jumped on it.  This one should be cool to play with - it's an interesting looking piece of kit with a lot of stuff crammed inside.

-Pat
You must have missed this one:

HP Integrating Digital Voltmeter 2402A
Operating and Service Manual, photocopy, some writing on first page, good copy
$25
http://www.test-equipment-manuals.com/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1704 on: July 05, 2016, 12:05:05 pm »
Hi Pat, another great find, well done. :-+
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1705 on: July 05, 2016, 12:31:15 pm »
Just got delivery of a Siglent SDG2042X for an extremely good price :) Tonights plan: "Liberate" the device up to 120MHz and then upgrade the firmware.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline msraya

• Supporter
  • EA7EE
« Reply #1706 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:05 pm »
I got a used Keithley 2015 THD from Finland..
It's very clean and working well, last calibrated in 2009 (B13 version, build on 2007, 3 on cal counter), spot on my dmmcheck. But some wear display..  :-//

I buy a plastic bench kit, clean the item and Now I'm waiting for Tektronix to send one new display to me..  ;)
With bench kit, display, pomona test leads, and chinese kelvin leads... Total about 600 euro spent... not cheap, but.. Good item..

I'm looking for a Agilent 53131a in good shape, but in ebay they are too expensive for me.
Also looking for a cheap/for parts Agilent E4418B .. but not luck..

Manuel
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:23:34 pm by msraya »

Online gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1707 on: July 07, 2016, 08:44:52 am »
TorTech step down isolated transformer, maybe my first electrical equipment made in Australia.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1708 on: July 07, 2016, 11:09:55 am »
@gamalot , I am happy with mine,  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1709 on: July 08, 2016, 05:19:35 am »
You must have missed this one:

HP Integrating Digital Voltmeter 2402A
Operating and Service Manual, photocopy, some writing on first page, good copy
$25
http://www.test-equipment-manuals.com/

Actually, I was completely unaware of that site - thank you for the tip.  It has been bookmarked.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1710 on: July 08, 2016, 07:48:20 am »
My ZUP20-10 has arrived. In good shape, with thick dust. This thing has been sitting new in box for 9 years.
Being NOS, it was sold to me at only half Digikey price. Still not a cheap PSU, but it should be quite reliable, as any other TDK PSUs, despite the fan is quite annoying.

9 years in storage? Unless they used top notch capacitors, I'd consider replacing them before you use it.

McBryce.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1711 on: July 08, 2016, 09:18:49 am »
No, but I don't trust any (electrolytic) caps that have been left in storage without ever being used for 9 years.

McBryce.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1712 on: July 08, 2016, 10:00:51 am »
While I'm here, I just picked up a set of these SMA attenuators from Fleabay. Got 1x 10, 20 and 30dB versions, which will hopefully help me avoid destroying the frontend of my newly acquired Spectrum analyser.

McBryce.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1713 on: July 08, 2016, 04:56:28 pm »
My ZUP20-10 has arrived. In good shape, with thick dust. ... Still not a cheap PSU, but it should be quite reliable, as any other TDK PSUs, despite the fan is quite annoying.

Nice compact supply. TDK/Lambda supplies seem to run forever. However, the name "Zero Up" doesn't sound reliable. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1714 on: July 09, 2016, 10:45:05 am »
@McBrice , do you have a DC block in there ? (don't ask why I ask!!!!!) |O

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1715 on: July 09, 2016, 03:17:16 pm »
@McBrice , do you have a DC block in there ? (don't ask why I ask!!!!!) |O
When I worked at Loral Corp that was one of things we had to make, I made my own and my mentor examined it and found it to be skillfully assembled. Next we put it on the network analyzer and it was deemed good enough.

I would recommend anybody who owns an SA or a selective volt meter to build one.
You know what is in it and know not to subject it to anything it cannot handle.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1716 on: July 10, 2016, 12:41:03 am »
Just got a little CV/CC module from China and built it into an old Radio Shack power supply I had

The following users thanked this post: Richard Crowley

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1717 on: July 10, 2016, 04:00:06 am »
That's nice and compact. Good reuse.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1718 on: July 10, 2016, 04:12:56 am »
Just got a little CV/CC module from China and built it into an old Radio Shack power supply I had

Hey Boffin, do you have a link to the CC/CV module vendor?

How does it perform? OK?

It looks like a nice way to upgrade that 3rd PSU on my bench.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1719 on: July 10, 2016, 05:20:29 am »
The module is DPS3003; about $20 on Aliexpress. 

up to 30v (with the right input), 3A.  I'm only feeding it about 14v, good enough for the digital stuff I do.  Previously I had mod'ded the the same PSU with a 7805 to give it just fixed 12v and 5v, but I found myself doing 3.3v stuff occasionally, and this is also nice having the meter on the front.  Accuracy isn't perfect, but +/-5% is good enough for me (I can hear Dave shuddering at that statement)

The only thing I don't really like is it's click through for each digits, I'd rather just have velocity sensitive.

The following users thanked this post: DTJ

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1720 on: July 10, 2016, 05:44:12 am »
While I'm here, I just picked up a set of these SMA attenuators from Fleabay. Got 1x 10, 20 and 30dB versions, which will hopefully help me avoid destroying the frontend of my newly acquired Spectrum analyser.

McBryce.

Be careful if they are no name Chinese made, they can ruin your SA connectors. I'd not go for anything other than a known brand because of assurance of mechanical precision.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1721 on: July 10, 2016, 06:10:12 am »

McBryce.

Be careful if they are no name Chinese made, they can ruin your SA connectors. I'd not go for anything other than a known brand because of assurance of mechanical precision.

+1
I often see Mini-Circuits attenuators well priced on ebay.
VE7FM

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1722 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:10 am »
Re RF connectors I have had a good run with eBay seller RFsupplier, mainly Jyebao connectors, I test all cables I make, attenuators and have found no problems up to the promised frequency.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1723 on: July 10, 2016, 06:48:01 pm »
It is not connector bandwidth which is a problem but mechanical precision of the mating part, i.e. Depth, thickness and protrusion of the pin or socket. I too use RFSupplier but only and only for prototyping, with Chinese on Chinese connectors.
A good practice is to buy a brand set of saver connectors (male-female one piece adapters) and use them on the equipment to minimize risk of damage of front panel rf connectors.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TAMHAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1724 on: July 10, 2016, 07:20:49 pm »
A transport dolly, to be used for the epic trip to samofab tomorrow.

Pic rectangular, because BlackBerry ;)
Feel like some additional tamile wisdom? Visit my YouTube channel -> https://www.youtube.com/user/MrTamhan for 10min tid-bits!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf