Author Topic: What do you do when fellow engineer wants to crash project?  (Read 3064 times)

Offline FaringdonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
What do you do when fellow engineer wants to crash project?
« on: October 04, 2022, 06:34:23 pm »
What do you do when a fellow employee wants to sabotage, or crash a project?

I was working for a co who had a high temp SMPS sent in for fixing….a “guy” (research fellow in power electronics) was working on it for a week…..he coudlnt fix it and couldn’t say what was wrong. So Then they sent me in to fix it…….i fixed it in a day…..it was easy……the “guy” , when I realised the inductors were too low value, told me “don’t bother fixing it” (kind of whispering it to me, like tempting me to crash the project)….but I told him I would…he then ran to his desk and brought the correct inductor calc…I thought…”howcome you never told the boss this last week”. …..You told me not to fix the inductor….then when I start fixing it…you then immediately show the correct calc  that fixes it….but you withheld this from the company last week…only when you saw I was fixing It did you start coming forward with the solutions…
What do you do?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 10:06:59 pm by Faringdon »
'Perfection' is the enemy of 'perfectly satisfactory'

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
Re: What do you do when fellow engineer wants to crash project?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 06:54:47 pm »
Ask them why and what is going on?

If they have been working at that place, for a lot longer than you.  They may know lots of things, you don't.

Dealing with management, is NOT always, 100% straight forward.  If a number of workers, suggest care, with some/a managers/projects/stuff, there could be good reasons, for what is going on.

Some things, could be best left alone (poisoned chalice).
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/poisoned-chalice

Example:
You work for Elon Musk, and a completely crazy new big project comes up.  Which, by the sound of it, sounds totally impossible/implausible and impractical.  It is probably best to steer clear of that new project, if you can.  E.g. A new Hyper-space time machine, made out of hot-air and hyper-nuts juice.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 07:07:51 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: Faringdon

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 11:51:16 pm »
Example:
You work for Elon Musk, and a completely crazy new big project comes up.  Which, by the sound of it, sounds totally impossible/implausible and impractical.  It is probably best to steer clear of that new project, if you can.  E.g. A new Hyper-space time machine, made out of hot-air and hyper-nuts juice.

The guy who started Tesla and made electric vehicles go high end and mainstream?  Or the guy who introduced Artificial Intelligence to self-driving cars?  Or the guy who started SpaceX and has a pretty good track record compared to his competitors (there are at least 10 with little recognition).  PayPal is involved here somehow...

I would jump on any project he comes up with.  Win, lose or draw, it would be a hell of a ride.

The following users thanked this post: boB, wraper, MK14, Faringdon

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 12:17:56 am »
The guy who started Tesla and made electric vehicles go high end and mainstream?  Or the guy who introduced Artificial Intelligence to self-driving cars?  Or the guy who started SpaceX and has a pretty good track record compared to his competitors (there are at least 10 with little recognition).  PayPal is involved here somehow...

I would jump on any project he comes up with.  Win, lose or draw, it would be a hell of a ride.

Some people think he is GREAT, others, NOT so much.  What we call in the UK, Marmite (Love or Hate it).

The Thunderf00t video channel, doesn't seem to think too highly of him.

But you are right.  True visionaries (without getting into a debate, as to, if he is one or not).  Sometimes succeed, and sometimes fail, on  a per project basis.  Which doesn't stop them from being true visionaries.

The point I was trying to make, was that time-machines are generally considered to be impossible projects.  So joining such a project, might not be too worthwhile.  Depending on ones aims in life.

Offline Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, T3sl4co1l, tooki, newbrain, MK14, Faringdon

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 07:58:02 am »

Where do you people work???  I've seen too many posts like this lately, and it sounds like the employees, or management, or culture, or perhaps all, is completely poisonous.  When a company exhibits or even tolerates this kind of behavior I quit as soon as possible.  Even if it's just one isolated co-worker, if management is so oblivious that they can't see the problem then I figure that the company is going downhill and I just don't want to be a part of it.

You sometimes see a trend where good people start bailing out, and the mediocre ones stay behind.  This happens for a reason, and this is a death-spiral.  You have no obligation to stay behind, thinking you can somehow keep the ship from sinking.  Don't go down with the ship, preserve your sanity and save your career.

But of course use your judgement.  If it's just one bad employee and the (personnel) problem gets quickly fixed, then that's a different story.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, nctnico, Faringdon

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 09:32:48 am »
But of course use your judgement. 

Sometimes subtracting words is better than adding words.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 09:49:44 am »
Sometimes subtracting words is better than adding words.

More words:  I wasn't really trying to answer the OPs question, I was wondering if there's a pattern or common issue with all the horror stories I am seeing here.  And sometimes we need a little outside perspective to recognize when we're trapped in that death-spiral.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 05:42:19 pm »
I would ask the supposed saboteur.  Perhaps he's hesitant to fix it because he knows of 10 other problems with it and has a better solution but the boss insists on using it and told him to stop complaining about it.  Or maybe he realized his mistake after it was built and is trying to avoid taking the blame.

I'm not saying either of these are reasonable excuses.  They are just my guesses at explanations for the strange behavior. 

The following users thanked this post: boB, MK14, Faringdon

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 06:06:24 pm »
The guy who started Tesla

??

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Tesla-Motors

Musk provided much of the funding although the company was started by others.  He put his money on the table to make Tesla a good competitor for Detroit as well as expanding market penetration for EVs.  I'm a huge fan of EVs and have been driving a Chevy Spark EV for 3 years followed by a Chevy Bolt for the last 5 years.  I'm a huge fan - especially when there is a rice rocket in the next lane and the light turns green.

Musk has put his money into a number of ventures from rockets to digging holes.  When he sees an opportunity, he jumps all in.

You can be discouraged by failure, or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes, make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success - on the far side of failure.

Thomas J. Watson

The fastest way to succeed is to double your failure rate.

Thomas J. Watson

I do believe that Elon Musk follows the precepts of Tom Watson.

As to time travel, well, I'm not signing up for 'impossible'.  I understand why everybody thinks it's impossible but there was a time before 'spooky action at a distance' was a real thing too.  Einstein wasn't a fan but from experiments, we can transmit information at 3 trillion meters per second, a LOT faster than the speed of light.

https://futurism.com/chinese-physicists-measure-speed-of-quantum-entanglement-2
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/explorers-of-quantum-entanglement-win-2022-nobel-prize-in-physics1/

I might sign up for 'impossible at this time' which is kind of spooky itself.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, Faringdon

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 08:44:09 pm »

Where do you people work???  I've seen too many posts like this lately, and it sounds like the employees, or management, or culture, or perhaps all, is completely poisonous.  When a company exhibits or even tolerates this kind of behavior I quit as soon as possible.  Even if it's just one isolated co-worker, if management is so oblivious that they can't see the problem then I figure that the company is going downhill and I just don't want to be a part of it.

You do know who OP is right?
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, tooki, Faringdon

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 09:36:29 pm »
Example:

If you want to become an overworked engineer slave, then yes. BTW: Mr Musk started none of those companies AFAIK. He is just clever with money and creating hype.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:38:47 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 11:40:20 pm »
I am still waiting for my ticket to go to the Moon since 2018. When I get it I might consider working for him. Until then he is full if sh!t.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2022, 08:21:25 am »
we can transmit information at 3 trillion meters per second, a LOT faster than the speed of light.
Unfortunately, no, we cannot - unless I grossly misunderstood the whole thing (always a possibility) - the universe, in a way, does and that was the spooky part Einstein did non like.
There is no way we can use the entanglement to transmit information of our choice, we can only measure that entangled particles are, in fact, entangled (they have one single state for the couple, not one each).

E.g.: we cannot force the spin of one particle to be up when we measure it, so forcing the distant one to be measured as down, effectively transmitting our piece of information faster than light.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2022, 09:43:29 am »
Another treez/Faringdon post where I think the OP may be projecting a bit hard.   

The following users thanked this post: hexreader, Faringdon

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 10:17:03 am »

You might think that; i could not possibly comment.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline niconiconi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2022, 09:41:02 am »
we can transmit information at 3 trillion meters per second, a LOT faster than the speed of light.
Unfortunately, no, we cannot - unless I grossly misunderstood the whole thing (always a possibility) - the universe, in a way, does and that was the spooky part Einstein did non like.
There is no way we can use the entanglement to transmit information of our choice, we can only measure that entangled particles are, in fact, entangled (they have one single state for the couple, not one each).

E.g.: we cannot force the spin of one particle to be up when we measure it, so forcing the distant one to be measured as down, effectively transmitting our piece of information faster than light.

Yep, these quantum effects are in a sense, "action at a distance", but it's non-causal and cannot transmit information.

And speaking of faster-than-light, in fact there are many interesting phenomenon that give such an illusion. The experiment result I'm most impressed is that some exotic non-linear materials can have a phase velocity and a group velocity, both faster than c. This is known as anomalous dispersion. If you transmit a Gaussian impulse and measure "delay" between the rise edge / peak of the input and output impulses, the "delay" is "faster than light". It has been demonstrated that you can even run the experiment in both air/vacuum and the non-linear material simultaneously, and non-linear material is always "faster" than the air/vacuum, the results are as consistent as it can be. Better, this apparent delay can even be negative.  :scared:

The simplest explanation is when the pulse shape is distorted by the medium: no magic here, the location of the edge or the peak of the impulse was shifted, giving a misleading propagation delay measurement  :-DD. But experiments showed that in some cases, the effect is still possible without wave shape distortion. I still can't wrap my head around it, but all we need to know is that if you define the "speed" as "the time interval between the moment the ON button of the transmitter is pushed, and the moment that the receiver detects a signal", this propagation delay is always slower than or equal to c. Here's an introduction to these phenomenon: https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/u.osu.edu/dist/7/38882/files/2016/09/PhotonicsSpectraFastLightSlowLight2007-1gb2tao.pdf

I read that similar experiments exist using microwave waveguides below cut-off. Sometimes the phase shift of the evanescent wave can appear faster-than-light, but it's not even a traveling wave, just a stray field, and there's no signaling.

Regardless of how exotic the material, it's basically a variation of this idea: you can build linear circuit (an opamp active filter) with a negative group delay, but it's only because the signal is bandwidth limited, and the active filter is essentially an analog computer that predicts and recreates the expected output in advance. https://www.dsprelated.com/showarticle/54.php
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 09:47:48 am by niconiconi »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2022, 09:56:12 am »
Things travelling faster than light is trivial. A couple of examples...

Take a laser, point it at the moon, move it. The spot can easily move sideways faster than light. Or there are several real astronomical examples such as https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap031205.html

If you insist on it being "particles" rather than "photons", this is what the result looks like

Don't bother to enlighten me with the limitations of those examples; I'm already enlightened.

Offline niconiconi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2022, 10:37:57 am »
Things travelling faster than light is trivial. A couple of examples...

Take a laser, point it at the moon, move it. The spot can easily move sideways faster than light. Or there are several real astronomical examples such as https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap031205.html

It was claimed that you can even see this effect from the CRT beam on a Tektronix 7000 scope. https://web.archive.org/web/20111029020818/https://www.oregonlive.com/silicon-forest/index.ssf/2011/09/a_tektronix_oscilloscope_that.html

At the fastest time base, Tek 7104 sweeps "faster than light". Though I never saw a screenshot to show it. TekWiki has a screenshot but the beam moves "only" at 95% of c.

TekWiki says:

Faster-than-light beam on 7104? Using a 067-0587-02 calibration fixture at maximum amplitude produces this trace spanning 1.2 Div horizontally at 200 ps/Div and 8 Div vertically. Trace length is (1.2² + 8²)½ × 8.5 mm = 68.8 mm, travelled in 1.2 × 200 ps = 240 ps. Apparent speed is therefore 68.8×10-3 / 240×10-12 m/s or 2.86×108 m/s. 95.6% c0 - a very near miss ...

Offline Geoff-AU

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2022, 11:59:01 am »

All I know is I'm bloody confused by this thread

The following users thanked this post: RJSV, Faringdon

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2022, 01:04:41 pm »

The guy is endlessly posting about how someone or something is conspiring against his employment/projects/job prospects etc., how the UK economy is going down the shitter and how he's trying to save it if only someone would listen.    It's probably best to not rationalise it.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff-AU, Faringdon

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2022, 01:20:01 pm »

Don't worry about anything in a thread by treez/faringdon, except where bystanders might be hurt. The guy has History.

Here's a recent complete barely literate OP from faringdon, "Totem pole gate drivers on the web are poor". It needs decyphering before responding.

Hi,
All the totem pole gate drivers i find on the web dont have the "extras" that are needed to make this work well.
Eg, they dont have an upper Darlington for the upper txtor of the totem pole.
And thus they lack the added circuitry to sweep out minority carriers from the Darlington to make it switch faster.
They also lack the cctry added to sweep out the minority carriers from the lower PNP of the totem pole.
Also, the web offerings lack the diode used to reduce cross conduction.

As you know, the easiest way to do totem pole driver is to actuate the totem pole with a low side common emitter BJT to pull down the centre point....and a resistor to pull up the centre point..

But as discussed, the ones on the web are all pretty awful.
Do you know of any with the needed "extras"?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 02:32:18 pm by tggzzz »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2022, 02:54:23 pm »
At the fastest time base, Tek 7104 sweeps "faster than light". Though I never saw a screenshot to show it. TekWiki has a screenshot but the beam moves "only" at 95% of c.

Phase velocity, not group velocity. ;)

The same as saying, you can spin a flashlight and claim the beam goes "superluminal" at whatever great distance, where the flashlight is presumably still visible (and for suitable laser-based value of "flashlight", that's easy enough to test).  Clearly the beam, no matter how you're shaking it around, still travels at the speed of light as it goes.  The variation in amplitude travels at the speed of light; the correlation with nearby points in space is irrelevant.  I could just as well flick the switch on and off and claim that, because the wavefront changes at all points (at some given distance) simultaneously, the (phase) velocity is infinite. :)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline niconiconi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2022, 07:13:00 pm »

Phase velocity, not group velocity. ;)

The same as saying, you can spin a flashlight and claim the beam goes "superluminal" at whatever great distance, where the flashlight is presumably still visible (and for suitable laser-based value of "flashlight", that's easy enough to test).  Clearly the beam, no matter how you're shaking it around, still travels at the speed of light as it goes. 

Yes, normally it's the case and is the correct answer to common paradoxes. For the purpose of radio engineering, the signal velocity of guided waves is the group velocity, which is understood as the speed of the entire packets of modulation, while the phase velocity can be faster than c, but it's inside a packet of modulation, thus not the actual traveling signal.

But in those exotic experiments I linked earlier above, using special materials with negative index of refraction (and sometimes even in waveguides below cut-off), this definition of "signal velocity" also breaks down, the apparent group velocity is also faster than c. A better way to phrase that is anomalous dispersion makes the definition of "group velocity" meaningless. Expectedly, this generated huge confusions among an army of engineers and even physicists, and there was a big debate on how to define signal velocity in these settings in the late 90s and early 00s.

The consensus is that the only reliable definition of the true signal velocity that always "works" 100% of the time is Sommerfeld precursor (or frontrunner), an esoteric concept from theoretical E&M. Sommerfeld basically showed, at the instant a signal is transmitted, theoretically there's a suddenly change of E&M field with an extremely tiny magnitude that immediately travels across the medium at c0, this sets the real upper limit of signal velocity under all circumstances - which is the speed of light in vacuum. So there's no FTL signaling even with faster-than-light group velocity, as expected. This can also be seen as a mathematical formalism of "at the moment you push the ON button of the signal generator". It's predicted by Maxwell's equations while practically undetectable (which is the answer to the paradox that "if the precursor always travels at c0, you can just ignore the dielectric constant of the medium, but in practice you can't, why?").

It was quite a rabbit hole to read through the literature. More links for anyone who wants to waste time on this useless theoretical problem with no practicality.

Abnormal Wave Propagation in Passive Media
(this experiment shows time domain and VNA measurements, the group velocity is convincing demonstrated to be faster than light, though there's still no FTL signaling).
https://moscow.sci-hub.se/1435/ac20c3f7657cf7b91e8026d62a1be63f/mojahedi2003.pdf?download=true

Superluminal signals: an engineer’s perspective (and 5 more papers from the same debate).
https://www.ate.uni-duisburg-essen.de/data/postgraduate_lecture/Cologne_Counterposition.pdf
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 06:42:53 pm by niconiconi »

The following users thanked this post: Wolfram, Faringdon

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 07:58:59 pm »
Example:

Yep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf