Author Topic: What if someone is WRONG on this forum?  (Read 9249 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: What if someone is WRONG on this forum?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2023, 08:29:41 am »
Do nothing until it crosses the line of being troublesome.

Who hasn't been wrong at some point in their lives?

Me; I'm perfect.
<pause>
Oh. Ah. Gulp. :)

Moee.seriously, spot on.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online JohanH

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: DavidAlfa, 5U4GB, Dan123456

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2023, 08:39:51 am »
The ignore list should be all that is needed.  If I just don't like someone for some reason (and some are rather silly), then I ignore them.  There are many other smart and helpful people here with posts that I would rather read.  If someone doesn't like me for whatever reason and decides to ignore me, that is fine too.  People can disagree, post wrong info, post right info, and usually its easy for me to see right from wrong. I think this forum is good as is.  ...or maybe add a popcorn emote when you know this is gonna be a long dramatic thread :-DD

Usenet had more problems, and some usefully improved versions of block lists were developed. One in particular was "ignore  poster X and replies to poster X". That allowed people to continue to read a thread while ignoring irritating sub-threads.

There are a couple, and only a couple, of Xs that I would apply that on the forum. One infamous example on usenet was SkybuckFlying, and mercifully I've forgotten others.

That facility can't be available on any web-forum. Oh well, nothing's perfect.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2023, 08:46:02 am »
Analogies are usually dangerous, since people discuss the analogy rather than the issue.
Wood for the trees  ;)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2023, 09:03:51 am »
Usenet had more problems, and some usefully improved versions of block lists were developed. One in particular was "ignore  poster X and replies to poster X". That allowed people to continue to read a thread while ignoring irritating sub-threads.
There are a couple, and only a couple, of Xs that I would apply that on the forum. One infamous example on usenet was SkybuckFlying, and mercifully I've forgotten others.

The usenet aus.electronics and other groups were ruined by two regular trolls, Phil Allison and Rod Speed.
Rod Speed was so famous for his bot-like responses that someone wrote a Rod Speed chat bot that was pretty accurate.
Apart from those two, I was the top poster on Aus.Electronics.
Usenet also died when Google Groups took it over and anyone who used it was branded a "Google Grouper" and many people refused to respond to posts that originated from Google Groups.
I started the Aus Electronics Yahoo group and that was rather popular for a few years as people left Usenet to avoid the resident trolls.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2023, 09:59:40 am »
The current litmus test is the Whirlpool forums (whirlpool.net.au).

Once you reach that level of disfunctional (between the users, moderators and the owner), it's too late. Their way of moderating seems to be the scattergun approach mixed with "who has more sand in their vagina today".

The following users thanked this post: .RC.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2023, 10:11:37 am »
whirlpool you say

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2023, 10:52:00 am »
if they asked the question in a new thread and refuse to admit they are wrong, should they be banned? If so, why?
That's your business; not mine.  I'm only pointing out that there's "wrong" and there's WRONG.

My question is relevant and remains, should they be banned for not admitting they are wrong? And if so, why?

I'd argue they should not be banned for being wrong or not admitting it. If people responding fail to make a persuasive case then they should step away, or try a different tack. It shouldn't take long to work out if the person is willing to take your points onboard. Some people have a great sense of self invested in their opinions and are very hard to shift. Some people argue their case very badly and you can get threads that devolve for a time into a bun fight between two people that push out others. They may not even be the OP. They are the people I would sin-bin before those that I think are wrong.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2023, 11:00:53 am »
Analogies are usually dangerous, since people discuss the analogy rather than the issue. This forum isn't usenet, for better and worse. Mostly better!

Arguing by analogy has the problem that your argument inherits the weaknesses within the analogy. And you are right the first thing people will do is find it. Usually introducing an analogy starts out "It's a bit like.... " which it rarely is and it's the differences that lead you into peril.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2023, 11:05:16 am »
The purposeful irony of this thread is brilliant.

Can you have purposeful irony? That would be ironic.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2023, 11:08:06 am »
Don't get anywhere close to programming threads then... There're 345 truths and no one is willing to loosen the hand.
Arguing is quite common at forums, as long as it doesn't get out of control, just let the kid play until tired :).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:52:23 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2023, 11:19:42 am »
It guess it comes down to "ownership" of a thread. Should the thread owner have the right to continue going in circles or whatever in their own thread? I think it's probably generally agreed on here (and general forum ettiqutte anywhere) that there are some "rights" that come with being the OP of a thread.
We (mods) have actually had many reports over the years from an OP that someone is derailing the thread and can we give them a tap on the shoulder.

No, I don't think anyone owns a thread, any more than one person owns a conversation in a pub. Conversations drift, full stop. And the drifts often reveal interesting subtle points not imagined early in the thread.

Note that trolling is a very different issue.

I agree that because this is a public forum people should be mindful and respectful of others who might be listening or dissuaded from participating in a "private" argument. Using the pub analogy I would regard those engaged in a tit-for-tat private argument  as a pair of drunks shaping up for a fight. They are a disruptive nuisance and should be shown the door until they've sobered up a bit.

And trolling in my view is NOT the same as repeatedly being wrong. Trolling is different in that the troll seeks to advance both sides of an argument simply to provoke angry responses. They can be completely indifferent to right or wrong. If you're aggressively wrong you might be a dickhead but not a troll.

The following users thanked this post: electrodacus

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2023, 11:55:39 am »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2023, 12:15:40 pm »
David, have you been on the Whisky? 😆

I don't drink.
I'd say some of the replies in this thread are very much a valid reason to start picking up the habit. But joking aside, truth policing usually ends badly. There are cases when folks should be banned, but those should honestly be left to the discretion of the forum moderators because they're usually attached to other destructive behaviour. For example, someone going into every thread and turning it into a US politics discussion and then repeating the same argument over and over is probably not the best person to have around on the forum.

Don't get anywhere close to programming threads then... There're 345 truths and no one is willing to loosen the hand.
Arguing is quite common at forums, as long as it doesn't get out of control, just let the kid play until tired :).
Which is why I find it incredibly funny that they now have a "single source of truth" as a paradigm in some programming languages. I had an argument about it with a colleague at work a while back, they failed to consider the practical execution of their code on an embedded system, leading to the fact that their source of truth may not always produce the same truth. But they kept repeating that it was the "source of truth", so that it's inherently correct. It's as if it's becoming some sort of weird meta joke for discussions about programming, but I do stand by my argument that you should probably take a look at how your scheduler works to consider when said truth is updated before assuming that it's infallible.  ;D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2023, 12:18:25 pm »

If two engineers/physicists/chemists/lawyers don't have at least three opinions, then something is wrong.

Most interesting discussions ought to be preceded by "It depends what you mean by X".

The following users thanked this post: Dan123456

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2023, 12:22:26 pm »
And trolling in my view is NOT the same as repeatedly being wrong. Trolling is different in that the troll seeks to advance both sides of an argument simply to provoke angry responses. They can be completely indifferent to right or wrong. If you're aggressively wrong you might be a dickhead but not a troll.

Precisely.

Awkward question: should someone be allowed to continue beligerantly encouraging other people (especially beginners) to do things that are generally acknowledged to be dangerous?

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2023, 01:16:46 pm »
The mistake you made was saying "one doesn't reply to rhetoric".

[/quote]

Dave,

I may be a newbie, but I am old enough to know the power of bullshit. To be clear, I grew up when Republicans and Democrats went to the same worship centers.

In the old days, you could ignore nonsense because it had no place to propagate short of the KKK or John Birch.  But if it is publicly unchallenged, you wind up with post WWI Italy. 

Rhetoric MUST be refuted.  Will the refutation do any good today? Likely not.  In the 1980s, I had to build a conceptual model of persuasion.  Sensory stuff at birth, basic learning theory, beliefs, values, attitudes and SOURCE.  In those days source meant a trusted community member.  Which meant someone you touch and feel and who had to face the community every day.

Today, that source is an internet influencer with high likes.  Further, the social media bubbles mean "the community" shares and ENFORCES a common set of values and attitudes.  It is important to note I do not mention facts.  Cognitive acquisition is filtered by all the above prior to acceptance.  Parents especially are no longer trusted sources compared to "influencers".

I think you are asking the right questions.  The question is to how to be effective.

EEVBLOG is a community.  It shares a set of beliefs, values, attitudes and even facts.  You and several others are trusted sources.  The extent to which the community enforces it's shared culture is beyond my pay grade.  I will say that rigid forum policies have resulted in power things that led to collapse.  The policy here is seems to have worked.

I propose two strategies.  First, it is possible to provide "known trusted source" tags next to a poster's ID.  There are social psyc reasons I do not suggest going negative.  It can turn into a nightmare.

Secondly, as a newbie, it may well be useful to provide a sticky on the Beginners page (Repair as well?) that first off explains safety for beginners; and secondly how to read posts and interpret the "trusted source" tag.  I already do this via the "SuperContributor/Administrator" tags.

An analogy of safety for beginners.  I have been trained to OSHA standards in chainsaw (including falling).  The certification course are not intended to make you perfect. They are intended to increase your chance of survival when you make a mistake (after which you do a post mortem and LEARN).

It took me three days to sort thru basic grounding and ESD mitigation.  ESD was after my time in class, and grounding I wanted to refresh.  Basic safety would include these as well as define earthing vs circuit ground.  It could also hit how international and historical variations of power distribution can impact this.

Perhaps as simple as link to a EEVBLOG video?

After that, I think your ethical/moral concerns are addressed.  You are keeping the forum public, directing newbies to vetted information about how to minimize injury as we learn, and how to interpret the community's acceptance of individual posts via the trusted source marker.

This took some time to write and I know it is taking time to read. But this has been one of the only two useful and enjoyable forums of which I was a member.  And I first used listservs in 1995!

THANKS to all who make this forum work.

Dewey

« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:24:51 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: T3sl4co1l, BrokenYugo

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2023, 01:28:01 pm »
I may be a newbie, but I am old enough to know the power of bullshit. To be clear, I grew up in the US long before Gore invented the Internet.

Yeah - Gore never made any such claim.

I removed the irony for clarity.  Thanks!

And for the helluvit,  I was using DARPAnet at UVA in 1982.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 01:33:10 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2023, 01:46:10 pm »
I used to have this on the cabinet next to my computer but lost it in the move.  I used it to explain to my kid.  Published in the New Yorker in 1993 by Peter Steiner, 1993.

I THINK this is permitted by use but if not let me know.

Regards,

Dewey

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2023, 01:50:44 pm »
To be honest this forum does feel unmoderated at times, where some infamous "nutcases" will be ridiculed and bashed to virtual death.

It's the only way to go in my opinion.  The only thing I'd change is to get rid of the scare-quotes on "nutcases".

Indeed.

Some views need to be vigorously and unambiguously "challenged". People that repeatedly propose such views should be forcibly challenged.

Example, in the form of an analogy that appears to have some validity since it is becoming repeated more frequently by more posters on this forum. Anybody that advocates - especially to inexperienced beginners - the equivalent of "I have run into the road many times without looking and not come to any harm. Therefore it isn't dangerous and you can do it too". Yes, there are such posts, and the proponents typically refuse to understand[1] the points made in multiple authoratative publications.

Should such perps be banned? Probably not. But it is essential that they are challenged and their ignorance is ridiculed before people/property are harmed.

[1] or even read, or are incapable of understanding, or are simply trolls.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, newbrain

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2023, 03:16:00 pm »
If we banned users just becuase they were wrong then Dave would suffer from mods all too often ;-)

I think we are all wrong often enough becuase none of us are perfect, it takes years to learn all the good stuff and then people go an improve things and then our brains start to wander.

If this forum was too clicky or two aggressive then I wouldn't be here.

I do like that politics is kept to a minimum, it's why I have a low profile on the interwebs these days as it soon turns into a poo flinging session.

I am starting to learn that I need to treat certain posters with a pinch of salt but that has always been the way. Then there are others that you need to ensure you have a fresh brew as you know you are in for a good read (Dr Frank & Nominal Animal are two).

Anyway,
Those of you who think you know everything annoy those of us who do.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2023, 03:49:31 pm »
I propose two strategies.  First, it is possible to provide "known trusted source" tags next to a poster's ID. 

That sounds like 'agent of the Ministry of Thruth' to me. I fully understand your intention to guide new users, i.e. here's someone you can trust and has a proven track record. A newbie will find that out sooner or later anyway. A badge could also work in a negative way by discouraging others from commenting or creating some sort of 'I have a badge, therefore I'm always right' mentality.

Back to topic, I think that the classic netiquette (Usenet/Fidonet/whatever) provides sufficient guidance: Don't offend anyone, and try to not be easily offended.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, PA0PBZ, SiliconWizard

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2023, 05:20:30 pm »
Being wrong is part of most of learning process usually. Also, sometimes people have a bad day and they are rude. Or it takes a while to realize your mistake.

On the other hand I've seen people who have narcissistic personality disorder, and they are absolutely incapable to admit they were wrong. It causes them probably physical pain, and the only way they can handle it is by attacking anyone who disagrees with them. I would ban a person with NPD in a second, although it's an unfortunate condition, and uncurable, they are the most toxic vile people on earth.

So we just have to use the moderation in moderation. Haha! Pun intended.

mod: I'm not talking about anyone particular from this forum in this message.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 09:24:03 pm by tszaboo »

The following users thanked this post: hans, thm_w

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2023, 05:55:05 pm »
I propose two strategies.  First, it is possible to provide "known trusted source" tags next to a poster's ID. 

That sounds like 'agent of the Ministry of Thruth' to me. I fully understand your intention to guide new users, i.e. here's someone you can trust and has a proven track record. A newbie will find that out sooner or later anyway. A badge could also work in a negative way by discouraging others from commenting or creating some sort of 'I have a badge, therefore I'm always right' mentality.

Back to topic, I think that the classic netiquette (Usenet/Fidonet/whatever) provides sufficient guidance: Don't offend anyone, and try to not be easily offended.

There is a route to do so.  Such a label must be given democratically, and maintained democratically; such a label must confer ability, and active responsibility, which is checked simultaneously and on a regular basis by a significant number of users.  That is, there is potential for damage, for misuse, and there is heightened visibility -- e.g. every action must be reviewed and approved by at least N people (and maybe N depends on a ranking, or other metrics).  By diffusing responsibility, it at least makes the scope as broad as possible -- obviously one cannot avoid the echo chamber that is the community as a whole, but one can attempt to maximize into that scope.

It could be as eventful as holding elections from time to time, but preferably it would be an automatic process driven by meaningful metrics.

With no editing/reporting mechanism here outside of whole-ass moderators, it would be rather intensive for moderators here to get involved / facilitate such a process.  I suppose we could create an "editor" class or something like that, not (directly) tasked with (but perhaps can still help with) spam and peacekeeping moderation, and which has some sort of report/flag responding responsibility, and the resulting action is edits to existing posts.

Tracking post history would be necessary, so readers get the superficial view first (and perhaps unregistered/new users don't see anything beyond this) but the history can still be read, the context understood, and edits made to improve it without losing the voice of the author or its meaning in the overall thread.

But it's still not something that makes a whole lot of sense in a stream-of-collective-consciousness forum; there are authoritative, factual threads here, but you have to hate yourselfneed the information bad enough to dig through them and divine what the current state of knowledge in the thread even is.  Perhaps we could force-volunteer contributors of such threads, and the threads themselves (chosen by election, say by accumulating enough flags over time? -- totals, rate, absolute or relative to thread size, take your pick), to add a responsibility to such topics -- "Congratulations, you've been selected to found/contribute to a wiki on [topic]!" perhaps.

The fundamental problem with user wikis is, nobody ever uses them, EVER, so at least forcing people to write them would be a start -- and backlinking it by editing posts cited in the wiki (oh, you have to cite the posts as well -- be responsible, show your primary sources, right?!*), would be one way to drive readership to them.

*Showing a post in context -- again, threads are messy, but at least this provides a means to navigate and cross-reference a thread.  Equally important, it shows how the information originated, and if it was opposed at the time, or if it's been improved upon in subsequent posts (or edited if the earlier scheme were applied).

And still, it all needs to be done in a way that it's not a chore.    Maybe wiki edits + post citations becomes a [slightly less-]Meaningless Internet Points counter, and maybe some responsibilities are made contingent on that.  Power sources must be diverse and regularly checked -- no single mechanism should be a path to power, the greatest responsibilities should always be highly visible and revocable by persistent and collective action -- or of course mod/admin action, as there ultimately can be no true democracy here*.

*That said, if Dave wanted (emphasis on "wanted") to put his money where his collective mouths [the forum, ha?] are, I suppose making an anarchist partnership/coop would be the radical reductio ad absurdum of that.  Which assumes there's even a way to measure the value of the forum; it surely has collective value, and I mean not just to active users, but the wider internet on top of that.  Other than ad revenue, and maybe a certain fraction of donations, how would you even go about measuring that?   Not at all being serious here, but like I said, just the logical endpoint of maximum doing an anarchy.  It's a sliding scale, and just interesting to think about extreme values and how they could even begin to work.

Speaking of collective action, mob mentality, might not be such a problem here?, with immediate feedback and community representation; but one must also keep in mind that creating these structures also creates their own incentives, and the community here is definitely large enough (i.e. >150 active users) that I can imagine cliques forming.  TEA thread, case in point, I don't touch that at all, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are users that post there exclusively...(?!)

So, anyway.  Lots of ideas, most of them either a ton of work that'll never self-sustain, or just a poor fit to the forum.  I can imagine some ways it could be started, but it's hard to say if any of them would be motivating enough to sustain, let alone to be worth the implementation effort (or already exist as plugins, I have no idea?).  For sure, it's hard to enforce any kind of factual check on collective stream of consciousness, and a more rigidly structured format is almost certainly necessary (hence the glued-on wiki idea).  Something like Stackexchange, does a lot of this (crowd sourced review, including open editing by pretty much anyone), but it does it from a strict question-answer format -- not even a free-form wiki as such, and explicitly not for social purposes.  Still -- and again, as a point in the space of what's conceivable -- it's interesting to reflect on the ways these things can be done, and maybe along the way, we'll hit upon something we do really want to try.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2023, 06:56:04 pm »
What will come after the badges or anything similar? WWIII maybe if this forum could provide the proper tools.

Some species start the day by screaming their lungs out. Something which doesn't make sense at first. But as you get older it all starts to make sense.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf