Author Topic: What is a good about Covid 19 related?  (Read 9076 times)

Offline olkipukkiTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
What is a good about Covid 19 related?
« on: March 29, 2020, 11:59:07 am »
There is always another side of a coin, and wondering what might be a good about Covid 19 outcome.

These can be from a trivial changes such as a fish came back to Venice canals and perhaps people start wash hands properly to a crime rate and road traffic incidents (probably) reduced.

What do you think?

Offline babysitter

• Frequent Contributor
  • pushing silicon at work
Re: What is a good about Covid 19 related?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:05:03 pm »
  • German folk music concerts got cancelled. (Hint: German folk music is the worst.)
  • People work together to mitigate. Young people take over shopping for senior neighbours, people make improvised face masks, ..
I'm not a feature, I'm a bug! ARC DG3HDA

The following users thanked this post: tinhead, tooki

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:34:03 pm »
The intense effort to find a cure or a vaccine could lead to spinoffs and other useful discoveries along the way.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:51:44 pm »
Tissue paper producers , distributors and etc. ::)

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:55 pm »
We find out who is competent and who isn't when it comes to dealing with the crisis.

Offline Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »
Some may actually understand that being on the move all the time is not needed, and is stressful.

Some may understand that distributed systems are more robust than full-scale globalized optimization.

Some may understand money isn't everything.

The following users thanked this post: petert

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 02:25:45 pm »
The pollution levels have dropped considerably
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 02:26:14 pm »
It may actually save a large number of peoples lives and allow a huge number of people to NOT be ill and/or have disabilities. In the future.

Because, a long time ago there were epidemics and things. Which killed lots of people at the time.
But as a result, things were discovered/invented/improved. Which in the longer term, saved many, many more lives (usually).

Hypothetical Example:
Let's say, sadly, 1,000,000 people die from this pandemic.
But, a new type of improved ventilator, gets invented. Saving 50,000 lives each year, in the future.
Better prevention/cures against virus infections are made. Saving a further 100,000 lives each year, in the future.
Quicker methods of developing vaccines and cures are made. Meaning that future epidemics/pandemics, are handled considerably faster. Saving huge numbers of future lives.

Medical science gets advanced, bringing benefits for future generations.

We learn, as Earthlings, that who we vote in, is rather more important, than perhaps we realised. That not being able to vote can have consequences.

The harsh reality of life. Is that many of the safety improvement we take for granted, in this day and age. Came about, because in the past, large numbers of people were injured or died, as a result of a lack of such things.

E.g. Lifeboats (Titanic), car seat belts, Air crashes (air safety improvements), Police forces, Fire brigades, and toilet paper antibiotics.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 03:02:09 pm »
Some may actually understand that being on the move all the time is not needed, and is stressful.

Some may understand that distributed systems are more robust than full-scale globalized optimization.

Some may understand money isn't everything.

Except for the last sentence (which almost nobody, including politicians, will admit to, whatever political current they are from), the two others have been the motto of current democratic-liberal thought for like 3 decades now. I unfortunately don't see that changing any time soon. If anything, I fear this crisis may have the opposite effect: push governments to just increase "globalization" as a means of better cooperation for next time it happens, and fighting "distributed systems" even more.

I may be pessimistic, but this sounds like a lost cause at this point. We are likely to just yet increase globalization further and somehow deprive people of some freedoms yet more.

Online fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 03:06:21 pm »
A lower overall death rate this year, since the distancing and hand-washing will reduce the overall number of "non-novel" viral infections.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 03:06:57 pm »

Indeed. Obvious though, but it has the benefit of showing everyone that pollution levels CAN be lowered a lot in a matter of just a few days by limiting human activities. It's not a matter of months or years.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 03:09:56 pm »
A lower overall death rate this year, since the distancing and hand-washing will reduce the overall number of "non-novel" viral infections.

Interesting point, that should indeed have an effect on many other viral infections. Probably even including AIDS, as people currently stopped going out at night in many areas, so probability of meeting someone new and having risky behaviors should also be a lot lower.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 03:10:00 pm »
We are likely to just yet increase globalization further

Surely the stopping of so many international flights, in/out of many countries round the world. Is illustrating the advantages of reducing globalisation.
Some supplies are urgently needed to fight the virus (Ventilators/PPE (e.g. masks), medicines), then there are things like food and other supplies.
Too much reliance on other countries (and importing from them via aircraft flights), has put pressure on some things.

tl;dr
Maybe it will be the start, of LESS globalisation. With more homegrown manufacturing.

EDIT:
Let's put it another way.
With many highly globalised companies, struggling to continue manufacturing things (workers ill or isolating at home, or forced shutdowns due to virus), and potentially massive lack of market at the moment. E.g. New Car production/sales.
We may see a number of global companies failing. E.g. Airlines and Airline industries, Holiday-locations/Hotels, Many other sectors. Things may be very different, in years to come, as a result.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:28:40 pm by MK14 »

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 03:51:04 pm »

Interesting point, that should indeed have an effect on many other viral infections. Probably even including AIDS, as people currently stopped going out at night in many areas, so probability of meeting someone new and having risky behaviors should also be a lot lower.
There will also be fewer road deaths too.

I hope China continues their ban (the current ban is temporary) on the disgusting inhumane and unhygienic wet markets.

This isn't the first time a pandemic has been caused by poor treatment of animals. SARS, swine and bird flu pandemics have been linked to intensive animal farming. As long as this practise continues, we risk this happening again and again. Improved animal welfare, hygene and eating less meat are the solutions to this problem. Full disclosure: I'm not vegetarian myself.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, petert

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 04:03:54 pm »
This isn't the first time a pandemic has been caused by poor treatment of animals. SARS, swine and bird flu pandemics have been linked to intensive animal farming. As long as this practise continues, we risk this happening again and again. Improved animal welfare, hygene and eating less meat are the solutions to this problem. Full disclosure: I'm not vegetarian myself.

That's quite right. Those pandemics all have something in common: they are of animal origin, and mutation/transmission to humans was triggered by intensive farming, often with very dubious hygiene and unreasonable density.

You're right pointing out that we should not just focus on our global behaviors here, but specifically on how we farm animals worldwide, as this has become a major source of infectious diseases.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, petert

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 04:20:11 pm »

There will also be fewer road deaths too.

I hope China continues their ban (the current ban is temporary) on the disgusting inhumane and unhygienic wet markets.
I do hope you are speaking from a position of actual knowledge, and have been to a few Chinese wet markets to see for yourself.

If you think those are bad, what about some of the western operations, like the CAFOs in the US? At least the Chinese don't have to threaten film crews with severe legal repercussions for filming in a wet market, as the US does with CAFOs. The public actually goes there and buys stuff in person.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, Someone, BrianHG

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 04:30:25 pm »

You cant fix stupid

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 04:38:39 pm »
Good things so far:

1. Housing market crashed so new buyers might get a chance.
2. No dog shit and litter everywhere
3. All the people who are bonafide arseholes are coming out so I can shit list them easily.
4. Pollution declined. Air in London is like the countryside now.
5. Bar the first night where one fell through my fence and destroyed it, no drunks fighting in the alley behind my house.
6. The company I work for makes more money out of this due to our automation and self service products and the current financial crash
7. Being an engineer type person I relish days when I'm not disturbed every 3 seconds by shoulder tapping dickheads. That is now not a problem.

The following users thanked this post: julianhigginson, petert

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 04:39:03 pm »
Indeed. Obvious though, but it has the benefit of showing everyone that pollution levels CAN be lowered a lot in a matter of just a few days by limiting human activities. It's not a matter of months or years.
That is crossing my mind too. Lot's of people are forced to work from home; it would be reasonable to assume a portion of them will continue to do so after the Corona crisis. If that is a large enough number it could have an effect on traffic jams. However I don't think pollution levels will be significantly lower because most of the pollution comes from industry. Once those get started again the pollution will increase.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 04:42:47 pm »
🍲🦇🍴😊  🤢🥵🤧
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Exosia

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 05:18:01 pm »
The realization that for most of us life in metropolitan cities is so inhumane. Commute-work-commute-sleep-commute-work-commute-sleep... Always in a rush, no time to think about ourselves.

For two weeks now, everything is so quiet and peaceful.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:34 pm »
Hopefully as a result of this pandemic, some good will come out of it.
Please, PLEASE, P L E A S E.
Develop a cure for the common cold and seasonal flu.

I.e. a Tablet, which you take, which removes such illnesses and/or long term (10+ year) vaccines, against them.
There is at least the seasonal flu jab, for some people, which helps.

I very vaguely remember hearing (a very long time ago), when I was considerably younger. In 10 years time (not sure of exact period), the common cold would be eradicated.

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 06:08:24 pm »
When the London Tube Strike happened in 2014 (https://ideas.repec.org/p/cep/cepcnp/455.html), people had to find a different way to get to work for the duration of the strike. A significant number of them didn't go back to the Tube after the strike was over. The disruption shook them out of their routine, and some of them found better alternatives. It's comparable to annealing a metal, where temporarily adding some heat allows things to find a lower, more stable, energy state.

I've always heard that the Chinese word for crisis is a combination of the words for danger and opportunity, but I've only recently understood what that really means. I believe that the disruptions we are facing now will provide many opportunities for us, collectively and individually, to break out of some of the ruts we have fallen into.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 06:16:11 pm »
More people will realize the benefits of working from home, making our world less polluted, more efficient and more happy.  And making it easier for me to work from home :) one of the main reasons I got into electronics in the first place.

More attention will be paid to the essentials: food, shelter and health.

I see this as a practice run for the next pandemic or pollution or whatever an overwhelming consensus of scientists say we should prepare for.  I hope this will drive voters and politicians to put more effort into listening to scientists instead of lobbyists.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 06:18:52 pm »
So much that. I’ve been working from home for about three years and have a massively unfair advantage now  :-DD. People are seeing that it does work and people who don’t actually do anything but talk a lot are up shit creek.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf