Author Topic: What is going on at Mouser?  (Read 6677 times)

Offline gabiz_ro

• Regular Contributor
Re: What is going on at Mouser?
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2023, 06:26:19 am »
Looks like even in US may be some problems Digikey as example.
0:50-2:00
https://youtu.be/C1oqFmtatEk?si=r5EBFnVJwEMqk4ok

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2023, 06:46:09 am »
They will be subject to the same checks. As a small startup they may not bother as much, but once they grow, they will have to implement the same exact systems.

And if you want to set up your own fab, you will still have to get wafers and chemicals, which will be checked as well.

Obviously, ignoring the fact that this is extremely impractical. It is far easier to verify your identity with the suppliers and not have the issues after that.

Alex

The following users thanked this post: karpouzi9

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2023, 07:03:30 am »
A quick google while in my B&B brings up EAR99 and I think there is enough clear vagueness that I think many firms are having to work out how much effort they need to put in to avoid getting in trouble. The bad PR when it goes wrong does leave them in a bit of a tough spot, as they dont want the headlines like Samsung got hit with at one point.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2023, 07:35:30 am »
The website showed the order status as "held for export review", so there is clearly no issue indicating the cause of delay, and no reason they couldn't have emailed a notification.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Online .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2023, 09:08:25 am »
To be honest these huge corporations, I would half expect it to be along the lines of.

"Dear Mouser, I would like to order 500 of 33k Ohm 5% 1/4W through holes resistors, 100 000 of GNSS modules, 100 000 of Lidar sensors.

kind regards, Vlad Nitup."

"Dear Vlad,  Unfortunately there has been a delay processing your order for 500 of 33k Ohm 5% 1/4W through hole resistors.  Our order processing system will require you to supply more information.  However I am pleased to mention your order for 100 000 GNSS modules and 100 000 Lidar sensors has been processed and shipped."

The following users thanked this post: luudee

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2023, 10:01:44 am »
So for the second time in a month, my order has been "held for export review" for a week with NO Notification.
No reply to an email I sent querying it
And now I get an email saying it's been cancelled, with NO explanation.

What the hell is going on? Mouser used to be a reliable supplier - are the wheels falling off?
Maybe the problem is at your end (UK customs). I ordered something from Farnell this week but it got delayed in customs.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2023, 10:09:14 am »
Maybe the problem is at your end (UK customs). I ordered something from Farnell this week but it got delayed in customs.

No, it's with Mouser, same thing has happened to me in the last 2 orders. One review went quick (all 0805 capacitors), the other was in review for 4 days (has some passives and 40 units of a LDO) so I cancelled the order and ordered the same LDOs in reel 250units, from TI, already shipped.
First time it has happened in 10 years as customer

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2023, 10:48:46 am »
So for the second time in a month, my order has been "held for export review" for a week with NO Notification.
No reply to an email I sent querying it
And now I get an email saying it's been cancelled, with NO explanation.

What the hell is going on? Mouser used to be a reliable supplier - are the wheels falling off?
Customs issues only happen after it's shipped.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2023, 11:42:55 am »
For fast shipping, they do customs processing in advance. In case of Mouser: likely even before items are picked in the warehouse. So if the customs clearance process raises red flags, they can cancel the order before sending it out.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline luudee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2023, 02:59:44 am »

Never a problem with LCSC - IF they have the part in stock ....

The US with it's insane politics will destroy everything, even passive components supply chain ...

Cheers,
rudi

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2023, 03:10:54 am »
I ordered a few crimp connectors and 5-10 qty jellybean chips for lab restock yesterday on Mouser.

Mouser local office sent an email saying that they canceled the order as they don't sell to resellers or trade companies. I said I am neither one of them and asked if I could have the status fixed.

Dear <redacted>,

Please apply the new MyMouser account with new email.

And place the new order.

Therefore, would you cancel this order first?

Jeez, flagging a user as persona non grata, then tell them to try again with a new email to bypass their decision. I'm guessing the Mouser customer service team have had enough of this nonsense themselves.  :palm:

I took my order to Digikey, shipped immediately without issues.

The following users thanked this post: Someone, thm_w

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2023, 08:50:42 am »
Our export department have confirmed we are unable to ship these parts to you in accordance with US Exports rules and regulations.
:wtf:

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2023, 08:51:24 am »

Never a problem with LCSC - IF they have the part in stock ....

The US with it's insane politics will destroy everything, even passive components supply chain ...

Cheers,
rudi
With Mouser's stupid delays, it's actually quicker to order from LCSC now

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2023, 09:42:36 am »
Our export department have confirmed we are unable to ship these parts to you in accordance with US Exports rules and regulations.

That would seem to be ridiculous.  It seems (speculation), that their methods of export control, are far too secretive, slow and catching (almost certainly) innocent people, just trying to get on with their usual, day to day activities.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2023, 09:52:30 am »

That would seem to be ridiculous.  It seems (speculation), that their methods of export control, are far too secretive, slow and catching (almost certainly) innocent people, just trying to get on with their usual, day to day activities.
The part I ordered is now back in stock at Digikey so I just places the exact same order there, let's see what happens...

The following users thanked this post: MK14

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2023, 05:44:33 pm »
I have a suspicion that the issue may be with Texas Instruments.

Placed two Digikey orders today - one with a TI part is still showing "Processing" while the other has shipped

Also a week or so ago, an order with a similar TI parts showed as "delayed" for a day or so before shipping.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, SiliconWizard

Offline Infraviolet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2023, 09:26:25 pm »
"Never a problem with LCSC"
So, the USA, specifically the bureaucratic cult which runs the institutions (in the UK we'd called them Sir Humphrey Applebys) and which neither party of there has any plans to properly restrain, have decided that they want to "protect world peace", or whatever else their catchphrase has become, by making more people turn to China instead of the USA for sourcing electronic parts. Do those bureaucratic traitors (someone who writes up regulations to limit the ability of companies in their nation to profit by making sales surely classes as this) realise how much self-harm they are doing like that?

Ofcourse, the company too is guilty for complying with such silliness, if no companies paid attention to the bureaucratic burdens placed upon them then the government wouldn't have a hope of punishing them all. And if companies ignored such regulations they'd actually have a chance to start competing with China and loosening the commie party's grip on global supply chains. But the trouble is so many companies thesedays are run by a management class who skip back and forth between government and corporations, interwining them ever more tightly with strangling red-tape each time they swap from jobs in the "public but privately lobbied" to jobs in the "private but publically manipulated" sector, just the types who see these regulations, however damaging, as their absolute priority, never mind satisfying the customers or even making a profit, they've got to keep their previous boss and future boss and future but one boss happy.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2023, 09:48:37 pm »
I have a suspicion that the issue may be with Texas Instruments.

Placed two Digikey orders today - one with a TI part is still showing "Processing" while the other has shipped

..and the other one is now showing as shipped.

Screw you Mouser.
Might have an interesting call with them on Monday....

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2023, 09:55:01 pm »
Out of curiosity, what did the other order contain? Any parts from US vendors?
It is not necessarily linked to TI but rather to any US-based vendor. If you buy ICs from some asian vendor via Mouser, does it do any export check? (And does it have to?)

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2023, 10:04:02 pm »

Screw you Mouser.

The following document (it is rather long, so I only quickly skimmed it), might explain it.

https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/about-bis/newsroom/press-releases/3336-2023-09-26-export-enforcement-five-guidance-for-industry-and-academia-priority-hs-codes/file

It basically seems to be saying that there are lists of integrated circuits, LEDs, and all manner of other electronic components.  Which now have fiddly rules associated with them.

E.g. If your company, has within certain dates, already bought such a component (TYPE), previously it is ok.  But if not, it is NOT ok, to sell it to you.
Etc.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:07:37 pm by MK14 »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2023, 10:30:46 pm »
Forgot to say the second Digikey order was for the exact same parts as the Mouser one - TI LINBUS transceivers, dual bipolar transistors and terminal blocks.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, SiliconWizard

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2023, 10:31:57 pm »
https://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/documents/about-bis/newsroom/press-releases/3336-2023-09-26-export-enforcement-five-guidance-for-industry-and-academia-priority-hs-codes/file

It basically seems to be saying that there are lists of integrated circuits, LEDs, and all manner of other electronic components.  Which now have fiddly rules associated with them.

E.g. If your company, has within certain dates, already bought such a component (TYPE), previously it is ok.  But if not, it is NOT ok, to sell it to you.
Etc.

lol its even more strict than that, it says if you used to order parts but now you are ordering more of them, it could be suspicious.

"the company received exports involving the tier one and tier two HS codes prior to February 24, 2022, but also saw a significant spike in exports thereafter."
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2023, 10:38:32 pm »

Screw you Mouser.

The following document (it is rather long, so I only quickly skimmed it), might explain it.

Etc.
Well I've been buying from Mouser for at least a decade, though much less often than Digikey, so pretty much any order could be seen as a sudden change....

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2023, 10:42:28 pm »
How dare you change your ordering habits? :-DD

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2023, 10:54:12 pm »
lol its even more strict than that, it says if you used to order parts but now you are ordering more of them, it could be suspicious.

"the company received exports involving the tier one and tier two HS codes prior to February 24, 2022, but also saw a significant spike in exports thereafter."

Our door gets broken open at 4 AM, in the early hours and several big security forces personnel enter our dwelling.

You bought 2 of 1N4148's, in the order last year.  The new order has 4 of 1N4148's, WHAT IS GOING ON?

Who are you supplying them to?

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Dan123456

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf